Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

How many times do you think you will hear the prophet's name to Jesus Christ's name in GC?

Poll ended at April 3rd, 2023, 11:42 pm

>20:1 RMN:JC
17%
15-20:1 RMN:JC
7%
10-15:1 RMN:JC
11%
5-10:1 RMN:JC
15%
2-5:1 RMN:JC
9%
1-2:1 RMN:JC
9%
1:1 RMN:JC
11%
1:1-2 RMN:JC
4%
1:2-5 RMN:JC
9%
1:5-10 RMN:JC
4%
1:10-15 RMN:JC
No votes
1:15-20 RMN:JC
No votes
1:>20 RMN:JC
4%

Total votes: 46
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

Post by Subcomandante »

Lineman posted an interesting bet where he said that he feels that in Conference there will be a 10:1 ratio of mentions of the current prophet over mentions of Jesus Christ.

I commented that I would be surprised, that it would even be a 1:1 Nelson:Jesus Christ ratio, saying it will be more like a 3:1 Jesus Christ to Nelson ratio.

Answer the poll below. A ratio where the right number is bigger indicates where you think Jesus Christ will be mentioned more. A ratio where the left number is bigger indicates where you think Russell M. Nelson will be mentioned more.

If you think the ratio will be 6:1 RMN:JC, you would answer the poll 5-10:1 RMN:JC. If you think the ratio will be 3:1 JC:RMN you would answer 1:2-5 RMN:JC

What say you guys?

Poll is up now.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

Post by Subcomandante »

Stipulations made by Silver Pie:

Jesus Christ mentioned in a prayer does not count towards Jesus Christ.

Added stipulations by me:

Announcements like "President Russell M. Nelson will conduct this section" or "the Annual General Conference of the COJCOLDS" will also not count.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Re: Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

Post by Being There »

leave it to Sub SMH

so if you're going to - to waste time on this -
avoiding the real issue -
I'm going to take my comment from the General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report
thread, and post it here.
Because - this post of yours - OP
"How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?"
is NOT THE point -
you're avoiding the real issue -
that I've already replied to in the Conference thread.

Lineman1012 wrote: March 25th, 2023, 9:28 pm I will bet we will hear the name “Russell M Nelson” 10 times more often than we will hear the name “Jesus Christ” during this conference.
probably true.
But as usual, they'll give some nice talks - that they had 6 months to prepare -
(written by whoever helps them write them) - but probably mentioning Jesus Christ, *****
but totally void of His spirit, and NEVER will we hear any prophesying - "Thus Sayeth The Lord",
because Nelson is a false prophet , and like so many before him,
doesn't receive revelation.

Isaiah 29
9 Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine;
they stagger, but not with strong drink.

10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets
and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

***** 13 Wherefore the Lord said,
Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me,
but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
Last edited by Being There on March 25th, 2023, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

I took a quick sample of a few talks in last conference and it looks like the ratio was somewhere between 1:2-5 and 1:5-10 in favor of Christ.

That said, Russell is still mentioned FAR more in every GC talk than any previous church president that I'm aware of.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

This could be something we can look at at individual talks from say 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, and 2020. As some type of a baseline

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Other than introducing him to speak...why should we hear RMN's name much at all?...or any of the Q15.

They have turned it into a circular, never ending, reference-fest of each other...with all church lessons based on talks by the same.

I think that's a designed feature by them...I view it as a flaw. It allows them to take the membership that worships them by the nose ring and lead it anywhere they want to...

...given the current direction of UN Agenda 2030 support, LGBTQ support, lack of ethics on EPA shell companies and hidden BILLIONS...that's not the road to Zion.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Subcomandante wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:44 pm Stipulations made by Silver Pie:

Announcements like "President Russell M. Nelson will conduct this section" or "the Annual General Conference of the COJCOLDS" will also not count.
Does referencing our modern, dear, or inspired prophet count as a point for RMN if they don't say his name? I assume all variations of Jesus work as well?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I don’t think the exercise is useful.

Secret society members are not stupid, and understand that they need to use the name of Jesus Christ as much as they possibly can, in ways that they are allowed to. It’s what allows the cultural conditioning to remain rooted.

I like the idea that somebody else mentioned is comparing how many times RMN’s name is used, and in what context, compared to other leaders of the church historically. A longitudinal look at that might reveal useful patterns that could help break the cultural conditioning. IMO.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Being There wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:50 pm
Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me,
but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
This

In reality Jesus will be mentioned more times, but the fact that this question is even plausible is evidence of something wrong.

Another gauge would be how often they quote one another compared to scripture.

Again, I think the ratio will be too close for comfort, for the Comforter.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Since the church’s PR team probably reads this site and many others, they will end up talking a lot about Jesus to try to back pedal from their idol worship.
They have noticed a mass exodus from the church and are likely panicking.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Perhaps they'll reveal Jesus's middle name so they can start using his middle initial with their very infrequent mentions of Him.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Mamabear wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:33 am Since the church’s PR team probably reads this site and many others, they will end up talking a lot about Jesus to try to back pedal from their idol worship.
They have noticed a mass exodus from the church and are likely panicking.
We’re having stake conference this weekend.
We had the option to Zoom the Saturday “adult session”, (not a bad thing really, heavy winter weather closed a bunch of roads from drifting snow).

Anyway, listening to the five or six common folk speak over the pulpit, on specifically assigned topics, I was impressed by their ….(what’s the word…??)… fanaticism?

Strong strong testimony about their topics. The guy assigned to talk about tithing even said, voice rising, quivering, and tearful, “I would rather go without eating and be hungry to still pay my tithing”.

The elderly 40+ year converts told of their conversion from Presbyterian church to the LDS faith. She testified the church is true. He testified
Jesus can save you.

A Stake Councillor, hit the nail on the head talking about Jesus and making personal choices to allow Him into our lives. Then continued piling on church vernacular losing the simplicity of that message. (Buried it really).

The sincerity and almost pleading with us to believe what they were saying, including stories about the apostles, and President Nelson, all held on the highest pedestals, Rasband quoted frequently, and Nelson lauded and revered.

It made me wonder about who is attracted to the church. How the church’s message and conversion methodology is tailored to cultivate and convert a certain type of personality and trait. (Something to think about…).

Interesting that I was a convert without any kind of family traditional church attendance with other churches. I joined because of realizing Jesus Christ is real. The Book of Mormon is real. And at that time (late ‘70’s) the prophet seemed real (SWK).

Seems many church dissidents have a multigenerational history with the LDS, yet growing dissatisfaction or uncomfortableness is becoming evidence, as the early “one-eye-to-His-glory” dedication has been watered down, by subsequent generational breeding.

I was converted in a time when the LDS was “the Only True Church on the planet, and all the others were WRONG.

Now it seems, we work with other interfaith groups to prove we are Christians. But hold the temple up as we LDS are the fast lane to exaltation into the Celestial Kingdom.

Usually I am somewhat moved by a good strong testimony, with sincere heart and relatable proven experiences.

But last night, I felt more like preaching to the choir, bearing down in old worn ways about concepts that aren’t really distinctive, or emphasized within the 15.

Feels like the flywheel of momentum is slowing, and spiritual energy needed to spin it back up is waning, as the old ways are held too, and the new ways incomprehensible to us old conservative guard.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Mindfields wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:40 am Perhaps they'll reveal Jesus's middle name so they can start using his middle initial with their very infrequent mentions of Him.

Jesus H. Christ

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 8:31 am
Mindfields wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:40 am Perhaps they'll reveal Jesus's middle name so they can start using his middle initial with their very infrequent mentions of Him.

Jesus H. Christ
Another prophetic name change is coming…
Jesus N. Christ
( Nelson)

Ohhh maybe Russ will announce people can say Mormon again since so many complain.
Maybe he will change his name to
Russell Mormon Nelson.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 8:31 am

Jesus H. Christ
I thought it was "the"

Ebenezer
captain of 100

Post by Ebenezer »

Who gets the point when Neal Anderson quotes Ron Rasband quoting Russ Nelson quoting Klaus Schwab quoting Bill Gates quoting Greta Thundberg, who is actually probably Jesus?

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

The Red Pill wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:18 am Other than introducing him to speak...why should we hear RMN's name much at all?...or any of the Q15.

They have turned it into a circular, never ending, reference-fest of each other...with all church lessons based on talks by the same.

I think that's a designed feature by them...I view it as a flaw. It allows them to take the membership that worships them by the nose ring and lead it anywhere they want to...

...given the current direction of UN Agenda 2030 support, LGBTQ support, lack of ethics on EPA shell companies and hidden BILLIONS...that's not the road to Zion.

This exercise is to make the obvious point - that we have turned from worshipping God/Jesus Christ to worshippers man. Anytime a speaker teaches eternal truths by quoting something a “man” has said instead of quoting what was taught by Jesus, the speaker has downgraded the quality of his lesson to the level of the concepts of “man”. Man is corrupt, flawed and full of pride and mischief. Not a very reliable source for an eternal compass.

Elder Uclkdorf taught one of the best life’s lessons of all time in April 2008 “A Matter of a Few Degrees” when he said

Suppose you were to take off from an airport at the equator, intending to circumnavigate the globe, but your course was off by just one degree. By the time you returned to the same longitude, how far off course would you be? A few miles? A hundred miles? The answer might surprise you. An error of only one degree would put you almost 500 miles (800 km) off course, or one hour of flight for a jet.
No one wants his life to end in tragedy. But all too often, like the pilots and passengers of the sightseeing flight, we set out on what we hope will be an exciting journey only to realize too late that an error of a few degrees has set us on a course for spiritual disaster

Twice a year we are taught by MAN and twice each month in EQ/RS we get to regenerate those same teaching. We have literally thrown out the teachings of Jesus in exchange for the teachings of MAN. We are diffidently off more than one degree and will miss our eternal target if we don’t make a drastic course change immediately.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

I'll have to wait for the report from the LDSFF Statisticians for the final answer.

I haven't been able to listen to conference lately.

Too much worship of the Brethren.

Too much Follow the Prophet.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

HereWeGo wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:28 am I'll have to wait for the report from the LDSFF Statisticians for the final answer.

I haven't been able to listen to conference lately.

Too much worship of the Brethren.

Too much Follow the Prophet.
Yes, I feel your pain, to much MAN not enough GOD. It’s almost as if they are setting themselves up as a light unto the world or at least to become poplar and get the praise of the world.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Course, that would mean they would have elevated the status of Jesus to their own. Not likely to happen.

BOMdotcom
captain of 50

Post by BOMdotcom »

I think the real question should be: “How many times will RMN be quoted vs Jesus be quoted?”

An even better question would be: “How many times will a Q15 be quoted vs Jesus be quoted?”

I don’t have the resources to gather this kind of data from General Conference, but in my ward, the Lord is almost never quoted. It’s probably like 20 to 1.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Seed Starter wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:24 am
Subcomandante wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:44 pm Stipulations made by Silver Pie:

Does referencing our modern, dear, or inspired prophet count as a point for RMN if they don't say his name? I assume all variations of Jesus work as well?
My vote would be a resounding Yes!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:26 am I don’t think the exercise is useful.
I don't know about useful, but I think it is fun just from a statistical point of view.

(It does seem that they've ramped up using Christ's name since destroying the health and lives of people with the clot shot.)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BOMdotcom wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:48 pm I think the real question should be: “How many times will RMN be quoted vs Jesus be quoted?”

An even better question would be: “How many times will a Q15 be quoted vs Jesus be quoted?”

I don’t have the resources to gather this kind of data from General Conference, but in my ward, the Lord is almost never quoted. It’s probably like 20 to 1.
That would be much, much better than just tallying how many times Jesus is reference vs how many times Nelson is referenced.

Side thought: Why it is okay for all the world of Christians to talk to and about Jesus by his first name (instead of Mr. Christ or Brother/Elder Barjoseph/Baryusef), yet it is considered the ultimate contempt to call Nelson Russ or Russell? Even Joseph Smith went by Joseph or Brother Joseph (as far as I can tell, only those who hated him called him Joe).

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: March 26th, 2023, 3:22 pm Side thought: Why it is okay for all the world of Christians to talk to and about Jesus by his first name (instead of Mr. Christ or Brother/Elder Barjoseph/Baryusef), yet it is considered the ultimate contempt to call Nelson Russ or Russell? Even Joseph Smith went by Joseph or Brother Joseph (as far as I can tell, only those who hated him called him Joe).
Jesus didn't really have a surname in the modern sense. We do call him (the) Saviour or Christ a lot. It is rarer to hear of him just called Jesus (rather than Jesus Christ) in the LDS but common elsewhere.

You know why you can't just call him Russell, don't you? Because that would be a half-Nelson. (Wrestling joke. )

Besides, I believe he will be calling himself Russell M. Nelson Mandela after taking that award in South Africa.