What would God have us see?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

What would God have us see?

Post by Thinker »

In considering a lack of 100% identification with any herd, part of the Perseus story - of the 3 sisters and 1 eye - came to mind.
https://www.ancientpages.com/2016/06/08 ... mythology/

The sisters could mean various things - the feminine/yin/passivity and some relation in common. It is as if the eye shared by all 3 is like the Hindu story of the elephant & blind men...

It’s like 1 group have great faith, but lack discernment & assertiveness & thus are misled by false profits (prophets ;) ). Another group can see false profits in all their varieties yet are fooled by appeal to emotion (homosexual propaganda). A 3rd group see false profits & appeal to emotion but are tricked by obsession with logic (atheism etc) & fail to SEE with spiritual eyes.

Nobody but God is all-knowing. We all have blind spots. What might be yours? What might we be missing that God would have us see?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What would God have us see?

Post by TheDuke »

It is an excellent question. I just made an entry on another thread about receiving a revelation about having to learn truths and knowledge to be "save" or "obtain eternal life". It is so obvious, but like other truths seems to have multiple levels. I have come to believe (as many on LDSFF) numerous non-mainstream truths or principles. And I feel either unique or odd depending on my mood. But, never quiet normal in any congregation.

Sunday was my first day back to physical church in a long time (longest gap in my entire life by a many fold timeline). I felt a bit out of place as the talks seemed to be more shallow. The Lord interestingly enough had given me a simple dream the night before about having some gifts and not having others. He let me know that I/we in congregation are different and at different levels and it was ok (what was being taught to the larger group) as I didn't need the meat right then but others needed the uplifting milk.

So, my point is that the more I obtain the mysteries and tru(er) knowledge of god, the more odd I feel.At the same time I see that others are back or upstream of me, still gleaning simpler truths. And my question to this OP is, do others on this forum feel as odd as I do? To those that do, is it uncomfortable at times with the congregation? Is it difficult to communicate (or at least require restraint) to chat with mainstream folks? Do you find you need to restrain from jumping into general teachings and pointing out there are only say 70% or do you smile and let it slide (swine, pearls, mysteries, and all that)?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

He would have us see those things that are true and those things that are false, on His terms.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

TheDuke wrote: June 15th, 2021, 6:39 pm...So, my point is that the more I obtain the mysteries and tru(er) knowledge of god, the more odd I feel.At the same time I see that others are back or upstream of me, still gleaning simpler truths. And my question to this OP is, do others on this forum feel as odd as I do? To those that do, is it uncomfortable at times with the congregation? Is it difficult to communicate (or at least require restraint) to chat with mainstream folks? Do you find you need to restrain from jumping into general teachings and pointing out there are only say 70% or do you smile and let it slide (swine, pearls, mysteries, and all that)?
Thank you for pointing this out & asking this. An answer to prayer. I have been feeling like I don’t fit in & like if I speak some truths I’ve learned, it will make others uncomfortable & maybe even damage our relationship - so, sometimes I stay quiet. But I cannot stay silent long & know this so I sometimes avoid certain circumstances. Eg: There’s a fb group of people who have mostly left the church & I normally don’t follow it but decided to check in... & had to open my mouth by being the only 1 to disagree with equating homosexuality with heterosexuality. And I got hell for it. This guy says, “Why are you still here? You shouldn’t be in this group if you think that way.” I explained to him the meaning of bigotry as intolerance to other views. He just loved that - not. Ultimately, I ate humble pie, focused on the good of what they said & agreed to disagree on the rest.

I’ve been praying to know what God would have me know and do. But I’ve also wrestled with anger and frustration at the overwhelming tendency for people to just go along with lies and evil - because “everyone else is doing it.” The prevalence & extent of this - I’m seeing more & it has been disappointing. Even my dad, who I love so much & I know he loves me - is falling for media and other lies. And I worry that the stakes are getting higher regarding this suspiciously pushed “vaccine.”

To answer your questions, I’m trying to figure it out - trying to take responsibility for my thoughts so that I don’t judge hypocritically & unrighteously. There have been times when I have gone along with nonsense, and times when I didn’t want to know truth. When I see people from our ward, we chat superficially. But a few, I have talked with more - & afterwards worried if I said too much, or if they weren’t ready for some of what I shared.

We recently had company stay with us. Before hand, I prayed a lot that it would go well because previously we had a hurtful argument. It went well! I felt the Spirit help me be compassionate with their beliefs while not lying or misrepresenting my own (not easy sometimes). We talked about a lot of inspiring things that were not church-related - & topics by which we were all uplifted. They are a bit older & I kind of take them more “as is” whereas others younger, I try to have more influence. And they know some of my differing beliefs & maybe now it’s best to just nourish a relationship on whatever commonalities we have.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: June 15th, 2021, 7:02 pm He would have us see those things that are true and those things that are false, on His terms.
Well put!
We see God not so much as God is but as we are - or from the vantage point of our own religious upbringing. There’s a common tendency to consider God as a certain religion - Islam, Mormonism, Catholicism, etc. God is so much more than all that!

God is a God of truth - all knowing - all religious truths!
“Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”
If ye choose to avoid the truth, welcome some form of slavery.
Lately, it’s become more obvious that the seeking of truth must be vigilant like exercising or eating. No slacking!

There are different types of truths...
  • Physical: our bodies try to tell us truths - we need to pay attention.
  • Spiritual: similar with our bodies. Some dysfunctional aspects can harm us spiritually. Love God.
  • Emotional: love self. I need more practice in distinguishing spiritual guidance from feelings.
  • Intellectual: studying things out - plenty to learn! Critical thinking - spotting cognitive distortions etc., to avoid deception.
  • Financial: how would God have me earn & manage $? “Right livelihood”
  • Social: Appreciating love received & given. How can I love better?

ampeterlin
captain of 100

Post by ampeterlin »

As the scriptures say, we know in part and prophesy in part.

We need to be constantly renewed through the mind of Christ.

But this only happens grace by grace, line upon line.

Old things are done away with, and new things established.

Are we new wineskins yet? For the old wineskins cannot hold the new!

1 Corinthians 13:9-12

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

ampeterlin wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:45 am As the scriptures say, we know in part and prophesy in part.

We need to be constantly renewed through the mind of Christ.

But this only happens grace by grace, line upon line.

Old things are done away with, and new things established.

Are we new wineskins yet? For the old wineskins cannot hold the new!

1 Corinthians 13:9-12

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Eternal progress.
Research even backs this up - people are happiest striving for goals.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Only seers see,

so if you see something,

then by definition you are a seer.

See what's really there, and you will be amazed.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:24 pm Only seers see,

so if you see something,

then by definition you are a seer.

See what's really there, and you will be amazed.
Well put!
If only we could see with spiritual eyes more often!

Fight for the right
captain of 100

Post by Fight for the right »

TheDuke wrote: June 15th, 2021, 6:39 pm It is an excellent question. I just made an entry on another thread about receiving a revelation about having to learn truths and knowledge to be "save" or "obtain eternal life". It is so obvious, but like other truths seems to have multiple levels. I have come to believe (as many on LDSFF) numerous non-mainstream truths or principles. And I feel either unique or odd depending on my mood. But, never quiet normal in any congregation.

Sunday was my first day back to physical church in a long time (longest gap in my entire life by a many fold timeline). I felt a bit out of place as the talks seemed to be more shallow. The Lord interestingly enough had given me a simple dream the night before about having some gifts and not having others. He let me know that I/we in congregation are different and at different levels and it was ok (what was being taught to the larger group) as I didn't need the meat right then but others needed the uplifting milk.

So, my point is that the more I obtain the mysteries and tru(er) knowledge of god, the more odd I feel.At the same time I see that others are back or upstream of me, still gleaning simpler truths. And my question to this OP is, do others on this forum feel as odd as I do? To those that do, is it uncomfortable at times with the congregation? Is it difficult to communicate (or at least require restraint) to chat with mainstream folks? Do you find you need to restrain from jumping into general teachings and pointing out there are only say 70% or do you smile and let it slide (swine, pearls, mysteries, and all that)?
Some things I let slide and some things I will loud and clear make know what Christ has said on certain matters that are being taught incorrectly. The COVID garbage poison shots, I loudly spoke against them while 99 percent of our congregation followed Pres Nelson and the government recommendations. I continue to speak against the COVID mess along with speaking out against our Communist leadership in Canada.
There are some very serious matters that some members in leadership positions are teaching congregations that are very wrong including same sex marriage is a good thing and men changing to women and women changing to men is normal. CALL THEM OUT LOUD AND CLEAR. DON'T DARE SIT BACK AND LET ANYONE TEACH NOT ONLY CHILDREN BUT ADULTS THESE ABOMINATIONS.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Fight for the right wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:37 am
TheDuke wrote: June 15th, 2021, 6:39 pm It is an excellent question. I just made an entry on another thread about receiving a revelation about having to learn truths and knowledge to be "save" or "obtain eternal life". It is so obvious, but like other truths seems to have multiple levels. I have come to believe (as many on LDSFF) numerous non-mainstream truths or principles. And I feel either unique or odd depending on my mood. But, never quiet normal in any congregation.

Some things I let slide and some things I will loud and clear make know what Christ has said on certain matters that are being taught incorrectly. The COVID garbage poison shots, I loudly spoke against them while 99 percent of our congregation followed Pres Nelson and the government recommendations. I continue to speak against the COVID mess along with speaking out against our Communist leadership in Canada.
There are some very serious matters that some members in leadership positions are teaching congregations that are very wrong including same sex marriage is a good thing and men changing to women and women changing to men is normal. CALL THEM OUT LOUD AND CLEAR. DON'T DARE SIT BACK AND LET ANYONE TEACH NOT ONLY CHILDREN BUT ADULTS THESE ABOMINATIONS.
I agree & have voiced my opinion strongly in testimony meeting of the truth of marriage between a man & a woman…after someone “bore testimony” that homosexuality was a-ok. I have also shared multiple times in Sunday school - views that were unpopular but I felt morally obligated to “set the record straight” after untruths were spoken. The problem is I would mentally beat myself up over it for weeks after, so I simply don’t go to that hour anymore. I know myself enough to know that I cannot keep my mouth shut when lies are spoken & yet I also have not overcome cultish shame that I heap on myself still. I’m working on both - Eg., working on listening to others who believe so differently than I do, & only refuting when & how I feel spiritually guided to. God does help when we ask!

“Blessed are the meek.” Meek: “sheathed sword”/those who have power to harm but self control not to when unproductive. There are times to protect our own selves too - as in anonymity on this forum. Thank God & others for this forum where free speech is honored!

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

Calvary, were God showed His love for all of His creation..........

Jesus of Nazerath so loved us He gave His life for us.