"The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831" Joseph F. Smith

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

"The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831" Joseph F. Smith

Post by kirtland r.m. »

This is a large topic and I take it on a bit at a time in my postings. Here is a little for today.

The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831, but being forbidden to make it public, or to teach it as a doctrine of the Gospel, at that time, he confided the facts to only a very few of his intimate associates. Among them were Oliver Cowdery and Lyman E. Johnson, the latter confiding the fact to his traveling companion, Elder Orson Pratt, in the year 1832. Joseph F. Smith (comment made 4 March 1883) in "Utah Stake Historical Record, 1877–1888," LDS Archives;Richard and Pamela Price, Joseph Smith Fought Polygamy—Vision Articles [from Vision Magazine, Vol. 32–46, 48–51, 53–56], vol. 2 (E-book: Price Publishing Company, n.d.),
(See Orson Pratt's testimony.)" (Andrew Jenson, The Historical Record 6 [Salt Lake City, Utah, May 1887]: 219)

Here is a statement form Prescindia Lathrop Huntington Buell

Summary: Prescindia Lathrop Huntington Buell and her husband Norman joined the Church in 1836. By 1839, Norman had left the Church, and Prescindia noted that "the Lord gave me strength to Stand alone & keep the faith amid heavy persecution.” “n 1841 I entered into the New Everlasting Covenant," said Prescindia, " was sealed to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Seer, and to the best of my ability I have honored plural marriage, never speaking one word against the principle… Never in my life, in this kingdom, which is 44 years, have I doubted the truth of this great work.” Presendia Kimball affidavit, Smith Affidavit Books, comp. by Joseph F. Smith, v. 1, p. 7

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831" Joseph F. Smith

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Here are a few special experiences of Prescindia.

In Kirtland we enjoyed many very great blessings, and often saw the power of God manifested. On one occasion I saw angels clothed in white walking upon the temple. It was during one of our monthly fast meetings, when the saints were in the temple worshipping. A little girl came to my door and in wonder called me out, exclaiming, "The meeting is on the top of the meetinghouse!" I went to the door, and there I saw on the temple angels clothed in white covering the roof from end to end. They seemed to be walking to and fro; they appeared and disappeared. The third time they appeared and disappeared before I realized that they were not mortal men. Each time in a moment they vanished, and their reappearance was the same. This was in broad daylight, in the afternoon. A number of the children in Kirtland saw the same.

When the brethren and sisters came home in the evening, they told of the power of God manifested in the temple that day, and of the prophesying and speaking in tongues. It was also said, in the interpretation of tongues, "That the angels were resting down upon the house."

At another fast meeting I was in the temple with my sister Zina. The whole of the congregation were on their knees, praying vocally, for such was the custom at the close of these meetings when Father Smith presided; yet there was no confusion; the voices of the congregation mingled softly together. While the congregation was thus praying, we both heard, from one corner of the room above our heads, a choir of angels singing most beautifully. They were invisible to us, but myriads of angelic voices seemed to be united in singing some song of Zion, and their sweet harmony filled the temple of God.

We were also in the temple at the pentecost. In the morning Father Smith prayed for a pentecost, in opening the meeting. That day the power of God rested mightily upon the saints. There was poured out upon us abundantly the spirit of revelation, prophesy and tongues. The Holy Ghost filled the house; and along in the afternoon a noise was heard. It was the sound of a mighty rushing wind. But at first the congregation was startled, not knowing what it was. To many it seemed as though the roof was all in flames. Father Smith exclaimed, "Is the house on fire?"

"Do you not remember your prayer this morning, Father Smith?" inquired a brother.

Then the patriarch, clasping his hands, exclaimed, "The spirit of God, like a mighty rushing wind!"

At another time a cousin of ours came to visit us at Kirtland. She wanted to go to one of the saints' fast meetings, to hear someone sing or speak in tongues, but she said she expected to have a hearty laugh. Accordingly we went with our cousin to the meeting, during which a Brother McCarter rose and sang a song of Zion in tongues; I arose and sang simultaneously with him the same tune and words, beginning and ending each verse in perfect unison, without varying a word. It was just as though we had sung it together a thousand times. After we came out of meeting, our cousin observed, "Instead of laughing, I never felt so solemn in my life."

Prescindia Lathrop Huntington, 1810-1892
Autobiography (1810-1842) in
Edward W. Tullidge, The Women of Mormondom
New York, 1877, pp. 207-10, 213.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831" Joseph F. Smith

Post by TheDuke »

kirtland r.m. wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:14 pm
The great and glorious principle of plural marriage was first revealed to Joseph Smith in 1831, but being forbidden to make it public, or to teach it as a doctrine of the Gospel, at that time, he confided the facts to only a very few of his intimate associates. Among them were Oliver Cowdery ...
I don't accept this part of the OP. Now to be clear I am not saying Joseph didn't get the revelation (or that he did). I'm also not saying OC didn't know something about the matter in mid-1830's (before 1837). I'm saying the facts don't match the statement above in the OP, as I read it. Again it just seems we're taking partial truths and letting post-editing conform them to a bit different truth, than reality of the time.

So, it is a matter of fact the Oliver Cowdrey in 1837 said that Joseph had an affair with Fanny Alger. In church court and witnessed by multiple faithful apostles, their statements were written down in multiple places, some official. At a court he argued with Joseph about it and OC said JS confessed to him hat he had an affair. JS denied it (that he had an affair of adultery). In the end OC accepted JS statement that while he had an intimate relationship, it was not an affair, as he was married to her. He told OC, in the court, that it was within marriage rights. I suppose the only issue here would be if it was legal in NY and OH? OC backed down on this charge and apologized to JS for slandering him.

So, what do we know from this documented account? Ok, JS had made up his mind about plural marriage in 1830's no disagreement there. OC knew something about it before 1837. But that saying he told OC about a revelation and any details seems suspect. So, either he didn't tell OC about the revelation, or OC didn't accept it, as OC surely didn't comment on or have anything to say about a revelation, at least the revelation on plural marriage we have come to know. If OC knew of it, he would never have brought it up as adultery in the first place; even if he disagreed as is shown by his testimony in the church court. Given how it all ended, it seems JS told something to OC about him being married to Fanny and it being ok with the Lord, sometime in mid-1830's for 1837, but JS didn't appear to say anything much in detail or OC would have brought it up in his own defense in the court.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

The whole speech by JFS is really good. It’s a rare find, but you can find it online in a few places.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't believe the 1831 date. It is purely a case of revisionism.
The problem here is that the Church claim that Joseph was married to Fanny Alger necessitates an early revelation. However, there is no trustworthy evidence they were married. None at all. I don't even believe "affair" claim.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Robin Hood wrote: March 25th, 2023, 2:09 am I don't believe the 1831 date. It is purely a case of revisionism.
The problem here is that the Church claim that Joseph was married to Fanny Alger necessitates an early revelation. However, there is no trustworthy evidence they were married. None at all. I don't even believe "affair" claim.
There's actually some contemporary evidence to back up the claim of the 1831 revelation about marrying the Indians.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

A young women in her prime and a fertile man who had previously fathered many children with Emma. Long before the age of effective birth control. Yet not a shred of DNA evidence that shows that Joseph fathered a single child with his alleged multitude of wives. And the testimonies of Joseph, Hyrum, and even Emma unto their dying days that denied their participation and endorsement of the practice. Fiery sermons condemning it and calling it an abomination.

The polygs just never quit trying to justify their sins.
In hindsight with what we know of the left hand path and SRA, the early polygamy years were likely the moment that the left hand path assumed majority control of the church.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

The timing doesn't even go along with what BY said happened. Too many issues here.