The most important thing we can teach our children is how to receive personal revelation.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
tmac
captain of 1,000

Re: The most important thing we can teach our children is how to receive personal revelation.

Post by tmac »

Original_Intent wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:14 am
tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:34 am
JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:20 am
Here's a #4: go back and read your posts 10-15 years ago, on this forum.
But I can't tell you exactly what you should expect to happen, or what will happen.
I’m still asking many of the same questions that I was asking 10 years ago. But about all I get here is ambiguous, warm and fuzzy answers from people who act like they’ve got it all figured out.
It seems that you have expressed that there are no silver-bullet point answers, but you still want silver bullet point answers.

If you have not read "Following the Light of Christ into His Presence", I highly recommend it.
If you have read it, and still have these questions, I doubt anyone here can help, I certainly can't, as much as I would like to.

In you example above about the service project and the temple trip, I doubt you will get revelation about which to choose and you will probably get a warm feeling of happiness and satisfaction after doing either. I think that feeling is probably bio chemical based more than anything, but I also think God and Satan both use biochemistry to communicate with us.

I will tell you one example of my own that maybe will be helpful.

My wife has a sever back problem. One day I woke up and was just strongly impressed to try very hard that day to simply follow the promptings of the spirit and do as directed. And the first prompting I got was to attend the temple.

I went to the temple and at the entrance they had a sign up that they needed people to assist with proxy sealings. I thought "I've never done that, sounds interesting, I'll go do that." And I got an immediate prompting "Not now, go do an endowment session." So I did.

After the session, I saw the sign was still up, and I felt that yes, NOW was the time to go do proxy sealings.

Since I was there alone, I was standing in as a son and an older couple were proxy for the parents I was being sealed to.

After we had been doing them for a while, the officiator called a break and he started chatting with the couple, and it was apparent they knew each other and were friends. He asked the wife how here acupuncture treatments to help with her back pain were going, and I immediately knew that this was why I was here. I got involved in the conversation and asked about the treatments she was taking and got the doctor's contact info.

My wife did start seeing him, and although it didn't heal her, it did give her a great deal of relief for many months. (She eventually got a newly developed surgery which didn't 100% resolve the issue, but has helped a lot.) Anyways, I couldn't explain how I recognized it as revelation other than I had decided to do one thing and got a strong impression, prompting or instruction to do something else. And yes I think such prompting can come from either side (good or evil) but the proving of the spirits was in the result.

But I think that is the best litmus test I can give you on revelation is if you are prompted to do something that perhaps you are not inclined to do, or to not do something that you are inclined to do, or I can think of one instance where it was something I was inclined to do but had no plans to do for quite some time. And I was told out of the blue to "do it NOW" and I did.

So there is another leg to the acupuncture story. Several months later, I had been laid off of my job but my wife was still seeing the doctor. While she was in getting her treatment, the couple from the temple came into the reception area. They went to the receptionist and I overheard something about them having some difficulty paying for a treatment. I got the impression that I should pay for them, and I immediately thought "I'm unemployed! I can't do that!" But again I got the strong impression that I needed to do so in faith. So I offered and of course they said No, we can't let you do that, and I said I was just instructed quite clearly to pay for you so you aren't going to get in the way of me following my prompting, are you? And they eventually relented and they were so grateful. And then I told them about the whole previous story about how I had come to be in their sealing session when they first talked about it, the doctor also found out about the entire story and it was simply a great experience for all of us.

From the outside I suppose this might sound like just another warm fuzzy, faith promoting story. From the inside it was not.
OI, thanks for the story and examples. You’re right, I would like silver bullet answers, but in my experience and observation they don’t exist. That is part of the reason I ask some of the questions I do, to probe those who like to act as if personal revelation is some kind of one-size-fits-all exact science.

On that score, when someone (anyone) suggests praying about the kind of questions JL suggested, I do genuinely want to know what kind of response they think one should expect to receive. When all I get from people who make such suggestions, as if they’ve got it all figured out, is ambiguous, warm and fuzzy answers, it doesn’t instill much confidence in me that they actually do have it all figured out, or that what they are suggesting may be all that helpful to me.

In my evolved experience, those who seem to be the least certain are probably those who are closest to actually having things figured out — I.e., the more I learn, the less I “know.”

In my own life experience, the vast, vast majority of the inspiration I receive is only obvious in the rear-view mirror, rather than in advance. I am able to gauge what was and/or wasn’t actual inspiration primarily based on the fruits, and what worked and what didn’t.

A lot of the responses I see here seem to come from a much more black and white perspective than I have, based on my life experiences. I could only wish that my life were so simple.

The very hardest decisions in life are not between right and wrong, good and evil — most of those decisions are actually very easy. The much harder ones are between good, better, and best. “Should I go to an endowment session or a sealing session right now”? And, why? Should I help this person or that person? Why? Should I move to Missouri or Kansas? Why? Should I write a book about this, or that? Should I give money I inherited from my dad’s estate to some of my needful children, or to a disabled Hispanic illegal immigrant (perceived parasite) in a wheelchair? Why? Why am I feeling this sudden impression to go this direction? What should I do? Really? Would Jesus drive a Ford or a Tesla?

The black and white questions are easy. That’s not what I’m talking about. And, I’m not talking about reasoning-out the most logical conclusion. I’m talking about revelation. And, in my experience, one of the signs that it may in fact be revelation is that it is not, necessarily, logical.
Last edited by tmac on March 24th, 2023, 12:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The most important thing we can teach our children is how to receive personal revelation.

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:01 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:11 am I've had this thought on my mind for the past few months, and it kept going through my head last night and this morning.

The most important thing we can teach our children is how to receive personal revelation.

There is a reason the Lord teaches us in every canon of scripture that we are NOT to trust in the arm of flesh, which includes our own selfish desires along with the philosophies of the world. Being taught by Heaven allows all children of God to set the correct priorities for the day and age in which they live. It is the only path that leads to exaltation.

So, this begs the question, how do we do this? How do we teach the principle of revelation?
I think it's an important thing. Before that, though, maybe teach them:
--the existence of Heavenly Father and Jesus and their love for us;
--to obey the commandments;
--how to live a righteous life through example;
--listen to their conscience/ light of Christ.

Then they'll have a much stronger base to learn about feeling the Holy Ghost, then revelation.
The foundation must be there. We must understand the nature of Godhood, the creation, and the gospel of Christ and His doctrine. But, in order to recognize what aspects of this are true, since there are many prevalent philosophies today, we need to teach in tandem the need to receive personal confirmation from Heaven of these truths/principles.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

So, in my case, it wasn't that I asked the question, but I was in tune to being prompted to do other than what I intended.

I don't remember ever getting an answer when asking "should I do A, B, or C?"

I think God wants us to act, but he stands ready to correct us if we are on a bad course. As you say, the black and white questions are easy.
I don't think praying "I have chosen B, is that right?" Because if we have REALLY chosen that we are likely going to just get the confirmation bias "warm fuzzy", my personal opinion - what works for me - is to ACT and to be in tune to promptings to change course.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I completely agree. My primary experience is to have an “impression” (I’m not going to pretend that it’s always inspiration), that I act on, and then eventually get corrected, or have it confirmed. But it is all the correction that often starts to feel rather fatiguing. Is it not possible to always be pointed in the right direction from the outset? Why?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:01 am
Hosh wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:28 am As long as you are doing what you sincerely believe Jesus would do with your heart and mind fixed on Him and His goodness, that's what you should do. I think grace covers a whole lot of our shortcomings when it comes to our perceptions of what is best. If we have pure intent, and it sincerely Is what we believe Is best, God's grace will fill in the gaps of our imperfection. But its important to always be seeking better and more holier ways and not stay stagnant on what our current paradigm is of what is best.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but I’m still struggling to understand what it has to do with personal revelation.

From my perspective, what you have described is a very legitimate process of reasoning out in your mind what Christ might do in any given situation. But I’m still not sure where personal revelation fits into that equation. After I’ve done all the legitimate reasoning I am humanly capable of (whether over a long process and period of time, or in an instant), what I am looking for is God to “weigh-in” on the process and reveal His will. Is that unreasonable? How does that revelation happen? What, if anything, makes it unmistakable?

Personally, I think the simplistic “what would Jesus do?” is a little bit of a cop-out. He was immortal. He is God. As a mortal, I am certainly not capable of doing many things that Christ might do. So that often doesn’t give me much useful direction.

Example: I’m at a wedding. They run out of wine. WWJD? The problem is, I may not have the ability to make water into wine. So then what? What should I do? What would God have me do? And, how do I know that? That is what I want to know.
Just as a point of clarification. I think we put Jesus on a pedestal (rightfully so) but we miss what HE did. He came down as a man, He was fully man who gave up being God to show us what man could become in the flesh. Jesus was able to do what HE did because He loved- and we to can have the mind of Christ. 1 Cor 2:165The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is not subject to anyone’s judgment. 16“For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ. Jesus was able to do what He did because He was and is love, the way He viewed the world, the way he was persecuted and didn't persecute back, the way He suffered wrongs and still asked God to forgive, the way He healed... all stemmed from love. Jesus came in the flesh as a man demonstrating what we could be when we as a people failed and He showed us the example. It is why He had to be baptized and anointed with the Spirit. He did all things as a man though He is God, but He did not do it as God, but completely as man.

If we believe in what He has told us and His mercy, we can receive His love for us and for others and manifest the glory of God to others- we glorify HIs name. That is why we are here. Col 3:15 14And over all these virtues put on love, which is the bond of perfect unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, for to this you were called as members of one body. And be thankful. In other words, I personally believe as we become love and yield, We will receive revelation, because We allow ourselves to manifest the revelation God has for us in the flesh (Jesus was the Word made flesh) we too are to be as such. As we become love through yielding and submission and glorying in His mercy and hte righteousness HE has given us it is impossible to not receive revelation, because we have the mind of God and His SPirit is with us... it will be given us in the very moment we need. He will guide us and show us His heart so we can have that heart towards others.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Faith is a belief, but it is also a principle of action that is, hopefully, guided by revelation. I think the words of Moroni are helpful to this conversation. They aren't all-encompassing to the topic of revelation, but they can help us know and understand aspects of revelation. I've highlighted a few areas for emphasis:

Moroni 7
———
13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

18 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged.

19 Wherefore, I beseech of you, brethren, that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.

20 And now, my brethren, how is it possible that ye can lay hold upon every good thing?

21 And now I come to that faith, of which I said I would speak; and I will tell you the way whereby ye may lay hold on every good thing.

22 For behold, God knowing all things, being from everlasting to everlasting, behold, he sent angels to minister unto the children of men, to make manifest concerning the coming of Christ; and in Christ there should come every good thing.

23 And God also declared unto prophets, by his own mouth, that Christ should come.

24 And behold, there were divers ways that he did manifest things unto the children of men, which were good; and all things which are good cometh of Christ; otherwise men were fallen, and there could no good thing come unto them.

25 Wherefore, by the ministering of angels, and by every word which proceeded forth out of the mouth of God, men began to exercise faith in Christ; and thus by faith, they did lay hold upon every good thing; and thus it was until the coming of Christ.

26 And after that he came men also were saved by faith in his name; and by faith, they become the sons of God. And as surely as Christ liveth he spake these words unto our fathers, saying: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you.

27 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased because Christ hath ascended into heaven, and hath sat down on the right hand of God, to claim of the Father his rights of mercy which he hath upon the children of men?

28 For he hath answered the ends of the law, and he claimeth all those who have faith in him; and they who have faith in him will cleave unto every good thing; wherefore he advocateth the cause of the children of men; and he dwelleth eternally in the heavens.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:33 am I completely agree. My primary experience is to have an “impression” (I’m not going to pretend that it’s always inspiration), that I act on, and then eventually get corrected, or have it confirmed. But it is all the correction that often starts to feel rather fatiguing. Is it not possible to always be pointed in the right direction from the outset? Why?
I think it comes from our heart and reveals where our heart really is. As the heart is truly focused and single towards God and not for us seeking to "feel" good or the need to correct people, or that our identity is in "helping others" or our identity is our church calling or role as a spouse, but is Christ and love toward God and love towards others, then we can receive clear revelation in the moment and need less correction. If there is a correction the Lord is just showing us a better way and we can grow into Him more and rejoice that God loves us "He chastises those whom He loves." I love correction from the Lord now, I mean I rejoice in it because it is usually profound and I am taught my perspective was wrong and HE is just showing me more of His mind and His heart and I can submit and yield to that and see that I can have that too. Usually it reveals al ittle bit of jealousy that crept in, or self-seeking/selfishness or a failure to actually see the love God has for them. 1 Tim 1:5 The goal of our instruction is the love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and a sincere faith. When those three are there, we know the heart of God the key is to make sure life or our distractions don't keep us from seeing ourselves more than God.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

tmac wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:41 pm So, I’m always interested when people make it sound like personal revelation is some kind of exact science, with a one-size-fits-all silver bullet formula.
It is not the same for everyone. Some people hear His voice.

My wife gave a talk in sacrament meeting about how we should write our prayers to HF and then be quiet and write down what he gives back to you. Scary idea to some. This is how she prays and it is almost like a discussion. She gets clear and full answers. I am sure that this is a gift.

I found that I get answers by seeing something briefly. I was trying to repair a complicated Gas Chromatograph for 3 hours with no luck. I decided to sit back in my chair, clear my mind and then start over. When my mind was clear of everything, I saw a picture of the Mass Flow Meter Submodule for about 1 Second. I jerked back up in my seat in wonderment at what happened. Even though I had troubleshot that before, I started looking at it again and there was a poor electrical connection. It was the Lord showing me how he will give me inspiration. As I give blessings, I see things and put into words what I am supposed to say. I also realize that I have a gift to know when something is right or not. I've never had a burning of the bosom.

The Spirit of the Lord is not emotion. It will reveal truth, not emotion. Crying is not an answer to prayer--it is an emotion. I cry in a romantic movie but that is not proof that the movie is true. It just shows that I am emotional.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:33 am I completely agree. My primary experience is to have an “impression” (I’m not going to pretend that it’s always inspiration), that I act on, and then eventually get corrected, or have it confirmed. But it is all the correction that often starts to feel rather fatiguing. Is it not possible to always be pointed in the right direction from the outset? Why?
When you get a premonition (inspiration) ACT ON IT. Tell the Lord that you will act on any inspiration you receive and ask him to guide your life that way. It shows him you want to have him give you the inspiration. He will keep giving you promptings, etc. if you act on them. He will stop if you don't.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

That sounds very simple and easy, but you would not believe the ventures, adventures, and wild goose chases I have been on doing exactly that.

But I’ll throw out another example as a case study. We have a son (youngest), who I kind of struggle with because of his serious TBM/brethrenite tendencies. When he left on his mission at 18, having been homeschooled, and with a GED, he fully intended to return home and pursue a trade (construction?) rather than go to college. But on his mission he was brain-washed that not only did he have to go to college, but that he had to not only graduate from BYU, but also pursue post-graduate education (MBA?), or he would be a third class citizen the rest of his life. By that point, it took quite a bit for him to ultimately get accepted at BYU, but he felt completely “inspired” to do that, so that’s where he ultimately graduated from, after a lot of extra work, and putting himself through school by working at the MTC.

Then the big decision was what to do next, since he felt “inspired” to get more education. He ultimately decided to go to law school, and got accepted at every school he applied to, except BYU, which was devastating to him.

But, as things turned out Nebraska and Texas Tech got in a bidding war for him, and both made him very nice offers. He felt “inspired” to go to Texas, where he has done very well, and is number one in his class after two years. But at this point, he absolutely hates law school, and wants to come home and go into construction.

But all of this has been a result of his “church-inspired” personal revelation.

It’s those kinds of experiences in my own life, that after 60 years, have kind of worn me out.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

HereWeGo wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:08 pm . . . . . . . . The Spirit of the Lord is not emotion. It will reveal truth, not emotion. Crying is not an answer to prayer--it is an emotion. I cry in a romantic movie but that is not proof that the movie is true. It just shows that I am emotional.
Good post, but I think the Spirit of the Lord can evoke emotion . . . including 'burning of the bosom' or warmth.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:15 pm
HereWeGo wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:08 pm . . . . . . . . The Spirit of the Lord is not emotion. It will reveal truth, not emotion. Crying is not an answer to prayer--it is an emotion. I cry in a romantic movie but that is not proof that the movie is true. It just shows that I am emotional.
Good post, but I think the Spirit of the Lord can evoke emotion . . . including 'burning of the bosom' or warmth.
I agree, I think we can't separate emotion from the process in at least some instances. I've heard of many stories where people just get "that feeling", often when it comes to danger.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:34 am This is actually a good example of what I’m trying to probe here — the extent to which personal revelation is just a bunch of ambiguous warm and fuzzy feelings?

Let’s say I’m a youth. It’s Friday night. My 4H club is doing a service project bright and early the next morning for a needy widow in the area, and my Ward youth group is going to be doing baptisms for the dead at 10.

I can do one or the other, but I can’t do both. So, I’m going to pray, with faith, for personal revelation and direction about what I should do.

What can I reasonably expect to happen?

Whichever I do, after the fact it is entirely possible that I will have a nice, warm and fuzzy feeling of satisfaction about it that my parents and/or leaders might attribute to the Spirit. What, if anything, does this teach me about personal revelation?
Fred, introduced me to this guys videos. Perhaps this video might help you try some things that will lead you to the answer you're looking for:
He talks about prayer, testing, searching, study, and also mentions preparing yourself. You mentioned reading the BOM which I think would be preparation. I think preparation is a very personal thing. He also mentions that some things rob us of our joy and peace, those things may be false. Do not look for truth where there is none. I watched this and thought of you and this post. I've felt warm fuzzy before but I don't rely on it most times. I think people want to be answered in the same unmistakable fashion every time. I'm not sure that teaches us much. I think some people want that canned spiritual response so much that they often imagine it to avoid what you describe. I think the timeline we need an answer varies a lot. If we need an answer quick there may not be time to prepare. We need to stay prepared. How do we do this? What is the best way for YOU to prepare is what I would focus on if I were you. I hope this helps in some way.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

tmac wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:50 pm That sounds very simple and easy, but you would not believe the ventures, adventures, and wild goose chases I have been on doing exactly that.

But I’ll throw out another example as a case study. We have a son (youngest), who I kind of struggle with because of his serious TBM/brethrenite tendencies. When he left on his mission at 18, having been homeschooled, and with a GED, he fully intended to return home and pursue a trade (construction?) rather than go to college. But on his mission he was brain-washed that not only did he have to go to college, but that he had to not only graduate from BYU, but also pursue post-graduate education (MBA?), or he would be a third class citizen the rest of his life. By that point, it took quite a bit for him to ultimately get accepted at BYU, but he felt completely “inspired” to do that, so that’s where he ultimately graduated from, after a lot of extra work, and putting himself through school by working at the MTC.

Then the big decision was what to do next, since he felt “inspired” to get more education. He ultimately decided to go to law school, and got accepted at every school he applied to, except BYU, which was devastating to him.

But, as things turned out Nebraska and Texas Tech got in a bidding war for him, and both made him very nice offers. He felt “inspired” to go to Texas, where he has done very well, and is number one in his class after two years. But at this point, he absolutely hates law school, and wants to come home and go into construction.

But all of this has been a result of his “church-inspired” personal revelation.

It’s those kinds of experiences in my own life, that after 60 years, have kind of worn me out.
"Church-inspired", or "Spirit-inspired"?

It seems you're trying to put the cart before the horse, to see every result before doing. Even if we are perfectly righteous in all things, God does not lay it all out before our eyes and understanding (something a lot of people here who hate the prophets don't understand--very very very few prophets get that type of experience, and it's the total sum, not the individual. They are like us in receiving revelation.).

I don't know why so many mishaps happened.
I don't know why I was called to serve a mission where I did.
I don't know why I studied what I did.
I don't know why I married my wife.
I don't know why I didn't marry many others.
I don't know why I lived where I did when none of our friends joined the Church.
I don't know the why about a whole lot of things in my own life (much less others' lives), especially things that "failed". Why does God let us fail so many times when we have/ are supposed to have the Holy Ghost guiding us?
I can say, however, that through most if it, even things I was unsure of, I knew that I was supposed to do.

I look back now and chuckle at some of my really good goals, glad that many of them never came to pass.

Every once in a while, after a very clear spiritual experience, I'm glad I didn't hesitate because I didn't know the outcome. Except for when I did hesitate too long/ ignore/ doubt, and then there wasn't much of a chance a spiritual experience would happen.

Faith precedes the miracle, including spiritual experiences and revelation.

I can say that sometime in the far future, if we continue to strive to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and receive revelation, we will see and understand--and be amazed.

latterdayloco
captain of 100

Post by latterdayloco »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:11 am I've had this thought on my mind for the past few months, and it kept going through my head last night and this morning.

There is a reason the Lord teaches us in every canon of scripture that we are NOT to trust in the arm of flesh, which includes our own selfish desires along with the philosophies of the world. Being taught by Heaven allows all children of God to set the correct priorities for the day and age in which they live. It is the only path that leads to exaltation.

So, this begs the question, how do we do this? How do we teach the principle of revelation?
My parents taught me to always trust in the Lord and to ask him for help. I think that the fact that both of them were converts was helpful. I was taught that the promises in the scriptures were 100% true, that miracles truly happened in our day and I saw these miracles firsthand. They were not passive in their faith, and I saw the blessings that came from it.

Now that I’m a parent, I agree that this is our most urgent need. To raise a generation of children that KNOW that Jesus is their savior. My wife has done an excellent job of raising them and my eldest son surprises all of his primary teachers with his knowledge and testimony of the gospel. I give most of the credit to her teachings.

Leading by example and practicing what you preach is very powerful. I recently bought a vehicle and got two dealerships in a bidding war with each other to try and get my business. The one dealership tried to swindle me, I called them out on it, and they gave me an amazing offer since I caught them lying red-handed. The second dealership was honest with me from the beginning but couldn’t beat the first dealership’s “post-oops” offer. I still went with the second dealership because I value honesty more than getting a better deal. Taking advantage of moments like this and showing them to our children to teach them how we live our values will also be something they can reflect on.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I think the easiest way to understand this is to think of those experiences and then write down what you learned from not being pointed in the right direction from the outset, etc.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

So at Stake Conference yesterday (a broadcast session to our “remote” meeting house)
The visiting area seventy palavered on a bit searching for rapport with the audience and then declared “if Jesus Christ walked thru that door right there and came up here. The first thing he would say to you is: I Love You.

It struck me that this is completely an emotional appeal.

The first thing Christ would do is proclaim God and Repentance is required by us ourselves.

Anyway… he went on, and like throwing soft balls at milk jugs at a carnival, he said a few things which I appreciated.

But by and large was a love fest between leadership and the TBMs who attend these kind of events.

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

There was a post I read years ago that spoke about the three voices we hear that speak to us: The spirit/good spirits, the adversary/his servants, and our inner dialogue.

If there is something that encourages you to do good, it's comes from the first voice. It is usually a statement, not a question. Call and check on your mom. Ask Bill if he'd like some dinner. It's almost a statement of thought. Ether 4:12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.

The second voice will come up with reasons not to do. The trick I've used is this....I may not even realize something is a prompting until I start making excuses. Because spirit can hear spirit, I imagine when were given personal revelation, to do something good....the adversary hears it as well, and process a means to dissuade you from acting. Ex. I just talked to my mom yesterday. I don't really like talking on the phone with my mom. I'm too busy right now to call, I'll do it later (and then forget). It's late for dinner, he probably won't want any. I won't have leftovers if I share for hubby's lunch. (I could make extra) Anyway ...like I said, I might not even recognize it as revelation, because it's just a little thing....until I find my self making excuses. And then I'll think .. wait....what is the adversary dissuading me from. When you are willing to follow the little things, you'll be trusted with greater things.
Your inner voice questions....should I do this. Should i do that. I wonder about this...ect.

Also....sharing stories with your children about spiritual experiences. One that I often share with my kids, that was shared to me by a male voice....Jesus? The spirit? An ancestor? A hallucination? Was this..."Do not expect to receive if you do not expect to receive" I let my children know about how others have received and acted on personal revelation, not just in my own life, but the lives of others. The heavens are open and they should expect communication....when they do, they will receive it. Like a book I read said...follow the light of Christ into His presence. Follow those promptings....pick up that trash (even when it's not yours) Buy that ladies groceries. Help your sister. Whatever it is that points to being good.... I've even been prompted to buy someone's pack of beers, which I almost dismissed....except he makes his sun and rain to shine and fall on the good and the wicked. Is my kindness limited to those I feel "deserving"....that's silly. Anyway...my two cents.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

CuriousThinker wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:30 am
cyclOps wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:53 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:44 am

First, I've always found it interesting how we list the professional accomplishments of these speakers.

The whole Beverly Campbell thread seems to indicate that leadership loves worldly accolades and loves to showcase their value to the organization. Somehow because they are Sigma Chi or Owl and Key that adds to their credibility.
You’re predictable. I knew you would have to say something about that. Talk about missing the point of your own thread.
Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:44 am

Interesting... from the beginning, he brushed off one of the most important questions, how to decide "between right and wrong." IMO, that is THE MOST important question when making life decisions.
He didn’t brush it off. It wasn’t the focus of his talk. So you were only looking for answers on how to receive revelation about choosing between right and wrong?
I am trying not to go too far off topic, but since Reluctant brought it up and this is his thread, I would also love a reason behind why they give a list of credentials before these talks. Do their jobs lend and air of authority? Why should they? Shouldn't the fact they should be speaking by the Spirit be enough? If Joseph Smith were to get up and give a talk would they go over his accolades, or would they say that he was a prophet of God and let that speak for itself. I listen to so many sacrament talks that have the Spirit witness to me that they are true. I don't need to know if the person is a doctor, a lawyer, a seventy, a whatever. Truth is truth.