Adding to our supplies

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

Re: Adding to our supplies

Post by Momma J »

Daikon radish greens are yummy. I improvised on a recipe I found online because I didn't feel like shopping.

I rinsed the greens and chopped them up. Sautéed them in coconut oil and rice vinegar... added a bit of fresh ground pepper and salt.

The greens from one radish provided enough greens for both my husband and me to each have almost a full cup. They have a subtle radish favor, slightly sweet, and almost a buttery flavor. My husband thought I added butter. That could be from using coconut oil.

I have never cooked radish greens before, but will be eating them from here on out.

The same with squash greens. (after I test them.... If we are not fans, they could become chicken food)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Walking in the garden this morning and I was prompted to get mosquito netting. So far this year mosquitoes have not been an issue. Perhaps I am being prompted to protect the garden from an onslaught of harmful insects? But... I don't want to block bees from pollinating.

Never-the-less... I am heading out to buy some netting. Good to have on hand if we are forced to go camping (if for nothing else)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

We have SQUASH coming out our ears.... Eating one a day and cannot keep up.

I truly feel bad for those who live up North who might have to wait a bit longer to get the seeds in.

This year has been all about experimenting with varieties of vegetables which we have never tried.... trying to find which types produce highest volume for our area.

Checking to see what veggies take up a lot of room but do not offer much in return.

gathering materials to make enclosed garden....

We really like this layout and hope to build a few of them. (cute little pesky bunnies are in abundance this year)

Adding water line with a hose bib in the new garden area so that I do not have to pull a 100' hose around.

I am thinking I will run chicken wire across the top too... That might help with birds eating tomatoes.
Attachments
raised bed.jpeg
raised bed.jpeg (205.66 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

I grew some herbs using aeroponics setup inside. Got some experience growing outside too although it froze at night and lots of seeds died.

https://pestrepellercenter.com/essentia ... repellent/

There are also essential oils which ward off pests or even birds. Although maybe it is time to make a scarecrow.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I need to research the essential oils. Being very particular about encouraging bees. So far all veggies are being pollinated at a very good pace.

I have added pots of flowers and dishes of water ...

I have also added some toad houses after I found a few toads burrowed in the lettuce beds. I am very happy to see an abundance of little lizards helping me with the bugs.

Trying to stay ahead of the caterpillars... ugh

I have forgotten so much about gardening.... it is coming back... in little Aha!!! moments.

All tips welcome!

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Momma J wrote: April 11th, 2023, 6:45 am I need to research the essential oils. Being very particular about encouraging bees. So far all veggies are being pollinated at a very good pace.

I have added pots of flowers and dishes of water ...

I have also added some toad houses after I found a few toads burrowed in the lettuce beds. I am very happy to see an abundance of little lizards helping me with the bugs.

Trying to stay ahead of the caterpillars... ugh

I have forgotten so much about gardening.... it is coming back... in little Aha!!! moments.

All tips welcome!
You can create a beehive setup. As in raise your own bees. That way you get honey during the growing seasons and pollination without manually doing it. Honey is one of the highest survival goods, medicines, and exports that farmers tend to provide.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I really want a beehive. This is one area in which my husband will not bend. He is petrified of bees, wasps.... even goes nuts when mud daubers fly too close.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: April 11th, 2023, 5:25 am We have SQUASH coming out our ears.... Eating one a day and cannot keep up.

I truly feel bad for those who live up North who might have to wait a bit longer to get the seeds in.

This year has been all about experimenting with varieties of vegetables which we have never tried.... trying to find which types produce highest volume for our area.

Checking to see what veggies take up a lot of room but do not offer much in return.

gathering materials to make enclosed garden....

We really like this layout and hope to build a few of them. (cute little pesky bunnies are in abundance this year)

Adding water line with a hose bib in the new garden area so that I do not have to pull a 100' hose around.

I am thinking I will run chicken wire across the top too... That might help with birds eating tomatoes.
Nice.

Inspiring.

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: April 11th, 2023, 8:08 am I really want a beehive. This is one area in which my husband will not bend. He is petrified of bees, wasps.... even goes nuts when mud daubers fly too close.
Bees are okay.

The rest gotta go.

Once bitten.

Twice shy.

Sir H

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Momma J wrote: April 11th, 2023, 8:08 am I really want a beehive. This is one area in which my husband will not bend. He is petrified of bees, wasps.... even goes nuts when mud daubers fly too close.
That can be healed if he desires that trauma to be healed.

If he is willing to accept the trials and process that go along with it, the Christ and Godhead will create an opportunity for him. But he has to choose consciously and be serious about the work.

To be clear, this is an opportunity I offer to you and him. I am not speaking from platitudes or copied words. These are my own words and my own promise.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Ymarsakar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 8:25 am

If he is willing to accept the trials and process that go along with it, the Christ and Godhead will create an opportunity for him. But he has to choose consciously and be serious about the work.

To be clear, this is an opportunity I offer to you and him. I am not speaking from platitudes or copied words. These are my own words and my own promise.
Thank you. I am open.

My husband's trials in phobia areas are a tough hurdle amplified by Parkinson's delusional paranoia. I chose my battles carefully and avoid stressors that destroy trust. Walking a tightrope in some areas.

Back to my garden... I have a fairly good grasp, via a constant vigilance on the insects.

Now I have squirrels mocking me as they sit on the fence eating tomatoes that they have recently stolen. I keep the garden completely fenced from the dogs, as they would trample in a frenzy to catch the squirrels.

I have tried chili powder, garlic, and vinegar... The squirrels are a bane.

It is a good thing I have planted in abundance this year.... but I had hoped to have more to share with neighbors.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Cats vs squirrels, the battle of the ages

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: April 12th, 2023, 5:24 am
Ymarsakar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 8:25 am

Thank you. I am open.

My husband's trials in phobia areas are a tough hurdle amplified by Parkinson's delusional paranoia. I chose my battles carefully and avoid stressors that destroy trust. Walking a tightrope in some areas.

Back to my garden... I have a fairly good grasp, via a constant vigilance on the insects.

Now I have squirrels mocking me as they sit on the fence eating tomatoes that they have recently stolen. I keep the garden completely fenced from the dogs, as they would trample in a frenzy to catch the squirrels.

I have tried chili powder, garlic, and vinegar... The squirrels are a bane.

It is a good thing I have planted in abundance this year.... but I had hoped to have more to share with neighbors.
Rat traps work on squirrels if they are not too big.

Have to screw them to boards and they only work a few times since they are smart; might not kill them outright. BB gun to the head will take care of that.

If you dont eat them, nail their carcasses to the fence to send a message.

Discourages two legged predators as well.

Commercial poison is avalible but I don't like using it normally; early Spring and late Fall.

Hit them hard, hit them early with everything you got; keeps the numbers down.

Good luck!

Sir H

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I need to hurry my plans for the enclosed planting boxes. Once they are set up, the dogs will have full run around the boxes and keep the buggers at bay.

Our squirrels in Houston are really big and fat, kind of lazy opportunists. The squirrels at the country cottage are lean and fast. They seem to be able to fly from tree to tree... Unlike the fat fur balls in Houston who get caught by the dogs if they venture into that area of the property.

I use moth balls in the attic to keep them from destroying the eaves and eating our wiring... Maybe moth balls in the garden will help???

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: April 12th, 2023, 10:11 am I need to hurry my plans for the enclosed planting boxes. Once they are set up, the dogs will have full run around the boxes and keep the buggers at bay.

Our squirrels in Houston are really big and fat, kind of lazy opportunists. The squirrels at the country cottage are lean and fast. They seem to be able to fly from tree to tree... Unlike the fat fur balls in Houston who get caught by the dogs if they venture into that area of the property.

I use moth balls in the attic to keep them from destroying the eaves and eating our wiring... Maybe moth balls in the garden will help???
Look that up first.

Might affect your food quality.

Sir H

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

HVDC wrote: April 12th, 2023, 10:30 am
Momma J wrote: April 12th, 2023, 10:11 am I need to hurry my plans for the enclosed planting boxes. Once they are set up, the dogs will have full run around the boxes and keep the buggers at bay.

Look that up first.

Might affect your food quality.

Sir H
:o :o :o . Yikes... that is not a good idea! Thanks for the heads up.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ckberries/

even though we are not doing a vegetable garden this year, we decided to go ahead and put some blackberries in the ground. Some friends from church had way too many, so they offered us some canes. There are plenty of wild blackberries in our yard (and all over the South, lol), but it's hit and miss on the taste. We really liked the taste of these, and they are so big. Anyway, "blackberry pie" sounds nice....

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Mudflap, great job on the blackberries! That is one of my goals for next spring. They look great with the cabin in the background.

Last night we feasted on veggies from the garden; squash, greens, onions and garlic sauteed together with a dash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It feels so good to once again grab a basketful of veggies and cook them up fresh.

Picked a dozen cucumbers and 23 tomatoes! I have decided to let the dogs into the garden area. to keep the squirrels out. They have marked everything! My old chow loves to nap between the squash and watermelon plants. Hopefully he will stop the squirrels from eating all of the female blossoms off of the squash and pumpkin plants.

I left several daikon radishes in the ground for seed. Hopefully I will have enough pods to be able to plant a great deal more next year. I will do the same with my red cherry radishes. We have found that we like the greens a great deal and they grow very quickly. I am hoping to grow them through the winter in cold frames

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

garden bounty 4-18-23.jpg
garden bounty 4-18-23.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 263 times
I picked these veggies last night. We are really pleased with our blessings this year and the opportunity that we have to re-learn gardening. I am hoping for a bit more time to fine-tune our skill at harvesting seeds and growing a larger garden... hopefully some success at staggering out the planting and harvest times.

Our ancestors knew so much... We as a nation became lazy and now have to search for wisdom that we should have retained

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Last night I roasted spaghetti squash and chopped cauliflower. I spooned them both over baby spinach and cherry tomatoes and stirred in freshly made pesto.

Everything was fresh from the garden except olive oil and pecans used in the pesto. Served while still warm. It was a hit! Hubby said that he could skip having meat a few nights out of the week if the meal is like this.

I am eating leftovers cold for lunch... not quite as good cold, but still better tasting than store bought food.

side note* I never thought I would be so excited to see baby watermelons and pumpkins

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Garden dinner.jpg
Garden dinner.jpg (331.7 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Like all foods, this too may become boring.... but for now I am loving my garden dinners. I took a basket of garden bounty to my neighbor and he insisted on giving us something in return. All he had was bacon and he sheepishly said "lard". Yes! I scored big on this unintended swap. We struck a deal that I would keep supplying him with our surplus and he would repay with meat that he either raises or hunts.

Dinner was simple. I fried up a few slices of bacon and removed it from the pan. In the pan, with the bacon drippings, I added chopped squash and green beans. Sauteed a few minutes. Tossed in baby spinach long enough to warm/wilt. Crumbled the bacon and stirred it all together.

Again, my hubby made no complaints about not having a more abundant meat serving.

(how do I reduce the size of an image???)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Momma J wrote: April 26th, 2023, 5:20 am Garden dinner.jpg

Like all foods, this too may become boring.... but for now I am loving my garden dinners. I took a basket of garden bounty to my neighbor and he insisted on giving us something in return. All he had was bacon and he sheepishly said "lard". Yes! I scored big on this unintended swap. We struck a deal that I would keep supplying him with our surplus and he would repay with meat that he either raises or hunts.

Dinner was simple. I fried up a few slices of bacon and removed it from the pan. In the pan, with the bacon drippings, I added chopped squash and green beans. Sauteed a few minutes. Tossed in baby spinach long enough to warm/wilt. Crumbled the bacon and stirred it all together.

Again, my hubby made no complaints about not having a more abundant meat serving.

(how do I reduce the size of an image???)
Loving what you're doing with your families eating, Momma J!
And I forgot to mention a few weeks back I saw a license plate here in Utah, it was 'Mama J' and of course it reminded me of our Momma J here on the forum😎😎👍

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

Worked on organizing our storage today. All the preps in the world are worthless if you can't find them!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I am still playing around with multiple varieties of the foods we prefer. Last night rather than running to the store for potatoes, I dug up two plants 1- Yukon Gold and 1- Russet.

It is a bit early, but they are a good size to add to the pot roast. Russets are putting out a few more potatoes per plant so far.

*side note* All the potato plants that I grew this year are from sprouted store-bought potatoes. I would like to see if the results are better with certified seed potatoes.
potatoes.jpg
potatoes.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

My neighbors are asking what I am using for fertilizer. It is all the compost that I am making, which includes fun stuff like chicken poop, coffee grounds, fruit and veggie peels, leaves and grass... even chopped weeds if they have not gone to seed.

I am having better luck with chicken poop than cow manure. I decided to stay away from store bought cow manure this year due to the chemicals in hay. Hopefully, I can strike a deal with the big ranchers near me for clean manure.

The tomato in the picture weighed in at 1.1 lbs and is the sweetest tomato that I can remember eating!

I am learning some interesting things about squash; basically which grow best in our area and which we prefer to eat.

Learning that the squirrels will stay out of most of the garden if I leave them one tomato plant to "dine on." I still shoo them away when they sit on the fence and scold me, while eating one of my cherry tomatoes.

Chili powder has been a success in keeping the insect population from many of the plants. Caterpillars come in waves.... just need to check the plants on a regular basis. I have not seen any snails so far.

I set up habitat areas for toads and watering spots for bees. So far we have stayed a step ahead and have decent garden. I am able to gather everything for salads at least 5 days out of the week. I have brought in over 80 cucumbers to the office to share with co-workers. In a few weeks I will have a large surplus of tomatoes to share.

Now that I am getting the hang of it again......... I will work on gradually making larger beds.
Attachments
corner of garden.jpg
corner of garden.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Texas size tomato.jpg
Texas size tomato.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 200 times