1981 McConkie's Proposed canon : JST(Genesis, Psalm, ..), Lectures on Faith, Articles of Faith ..

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

1981 McConkie's Proposed canon : JST(Genesis, Psalm, ..), Lectures on Faith, Articles of Faith ..

Post by sushi_chef »

"Stephen O. Smoot, “Appendix III: Elder Bruce R. McConkie’s Proposed Additions to the Pearl of Great Price,” in The Pearl of Great Price: A Study Edition for Latter-day Saints (Springville, UT: Book of Mormon Central, 2022), 162–167.

In 1980, one year before the release of the current official edition of the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price, Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles submitted additional content to the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve for consideration to be canonized in the forthcoming new edition of the Pearl of Great Price. His proposals were reviewed but were ultimately rejected. The content proposed by Elder McConkie for canonization in the Pearl of Great Price is reproduced here to highlight Elder McConkie’s expansive vision of the canon and also to raise awareness of some interesting content that was considered.

“Selections from the Book of Moses”
Elder McConkie proposed that the Lectures on Faith (which had been canonized in 1835 with the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants but decanonized and removed from the Doctrine and Covenants with the 1921 edition prepared by Elder James E. Talmage) be included in the Pearl of Great Price with revisions. The catechisms at the end of each lecture in the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants were omitted in Elder McConkie’s proposed edition.

Proposed Versification Source

Lecture 1 (25 verses) 1835 Doctrine and Covenants (Lecture First, Section I)

Lecture 2 (62 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Second, Section II)

Lecture 3 (47 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Third, Section III)

Lecture 4 (67 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Fourth, Section IV)

Lecture 5 (35 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Fifth, Section V)

Lecture 6 (50 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Sixth, Section VI)

Lecture 7 (152 verses) Ibid. (Lecture Seventh, Section VII)
"
https://biblecentral.info/library/chapt ... eat-price/

canoni* McConkie Lectures
search.php?keywords=canoni*+McConkie+Le ... mit=Search

zero scriptural canonization after 1981 may mean abundance of the manifestations of the Spirit has been withheld due to inequaity of temporal things among members and failing watchmen ..

"70:13 Yea, even more abundantly, which abundance is multiplied unto them through the manifestations of the Spirit.

14 Nevertheless, in your temporal things you shall be equal, and this not grudgingly, otherwise the abundance of the manifestations of the Spirit shall be withheld.
- - -
104:17 For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.

18 Therefore, if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment.
- - -
101:44 A certain nobleman had a spot of land, very choice; and he said unto his servants: Go ye unto my vineyard, even upon this very choice piece of land, and plant twelve olive-trees;

45 And set watchmen round about them, and build a tower, that one may overlook the land round about, to be a watchman upon the tower, that mine olive-trees may not be broken down when the enemy shall come to spoil and take upon themselves the fruit of my vineyard.

47 And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of this tower?

48 And consulted for a long time, saying among themselves: What need hath my lord of this tower, seeing this is a time of peace?

49 Might not this money be given to the exchangers? For there is no need of these things.

50 And while they were at variance one with another they became very slothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandments of their lord.

51 And the enemy came by night, and broke down the hedge; and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted, and fled; and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive-trees.
"
:arrow:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: 1981 McConkie's Proposed canon : JST(Genesis, Psalm, ..), Lectures on Faith, Articles of Faith ..

Post by Niemand »

It's a shame they aren't better known.

HeberC
captain of 100

Re: 1981 McConkie's Proposed canon : JST(Genesis, Psalm, ..), Lectures on Faith, Articles of Faith ..

Post by HeberC »

The Lectures on Faith was adopted unanimously by all quorums and then by the general membership. It was removed by committee. It was not 'decanonized'.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

HeberC wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:13 pm The Lectures on Faith was adopted unanimously by all quorums and then by the general membership. It was removed by committee. It was not 'decanonized'.
It was removed from the canon of scripture and is now in the public domain.... :roll:

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

marc wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:45 pm
HeberC wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:13 pm The Lectures on Faith was adopted unanimously by all quorums and then by the general membership. It was removed by committee. It was not 'decanonized'.
It was removed from the canon of scripture and is now in the public domain.... :roll:
It is interesting that it was removed from the RLDS edition of the D&C at about the same time as well.