Visitation of Brigham Young to President John Taylor.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Visitation of Brigham Young to President John Taylor.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Within months of becoming president of the Church, John Taylor met with Zina Young Williams, the dean of women of the Brigham Young Academy, and a daughter of Brigham Young. Sister Williams was worried about the future of the academy. President Taylor took her hand “in a fatherly way” and said:
“My dear child, I have something of importance to tell you that I know will make you happy. I have been visited by your father. He came to me in the silence of the night clothed in brightness and with a face beaming with love and confidence told me things of great importance and among others that the school being taught by Brother [Karl G.] Maeser was accepted in the heavens and was a part of the great plan of life and salvation; . . . and there was a bright future in store for . . . preparing . . . the children of the covenant for future usefulness in the Kingdom of God, and that Christ himself was directing, and had a care over this school.”
(See: Leonard J. Arrington, ed., The Presidents of the Church (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1986), pp. 108­109.)

Brigham Young Academy grew into Brigham Young University with it several campuses, international and internet programs. BYU has prepared countless students for “usefulness in the Kingdom.” Scores of prophets, apostles, general authorities, general officers, and local leaders have attended BYU.https://londonedition.home.blog/2021/10 ... uccessors/

Unfortunately, I think it has slipped more than a few notches since then.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Visitation of Brigham Young to President John Taylor.

Post by TheDuke »

I went to BYU, and I just don't believe this is more than lore. Why would god send back another prophet to tell him about BYA? Makes little sense in my opinion, but stories are for those to pray about more these days as they keep randomly popping up.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Yet another, Visitation of Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball to President Wilford Woodruff.

Several years after Joseph Smith’s last appearance to Wilford Woodruff, Brigham Young appeared to him:
“On one occasion, I saw Brother Brigham and Brother Heber Kimball. They were dressed in the most priestly robes. I asked President Young if he would preach at conference. He said, ‘No, I have finished my testimony in the flesh. I shall not speak to this people anymore.’
“’I have come to see you. I have come to watch over you, and to see what the people are doing.’
“’I want you to teach the people, and I want you to follow this counsel yourself, that they must labor and so live as to obtain the Holy Spirit. For without this you cannot build the kingdom. Without the Spirit of God you are in danger of walking in the dark.’”
“’Brother Joseph taught me this principle.’”
(See: Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses 21:317-318; Ludwall, ed. Temples of the Most High, 1960, pp. 321-322; Wilford Woodruff discourse at the Weber Stake Conf. Oct 19, 1896; Alonzo Gaskill, “To Every Man is Given a Gift: Spiritual Legacy of Wilford Woodruff,” BYU Religious Studies Center; Wilford Woodruff’s Journal, 2:478-479, Nov. 1, 1844; 3:578-579, Oct. 20, 1850; Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff, 5; The Holy Ghost and Personal Revelation, From the Life of Wilford Woodruff, 46)

There have been a broad range of visitations and purposes for them, both to church leaders, and to rank and file faithful members, as well as manifestations of many spiritual gifts. I have read TheDuke's comments above, and I personally believe that there are many of these experiences that happened and served the Lord's purposes, that we even don't know about. I am certain of it. Many sacred experiences were written down in journals or other places, and are tucked away somewhere, and some no longer exist, and some were even never recorded and passed on because of the sacred nature of these experiences.

It is also evident that church leaders were more willing to talk about some of them then, than modern day leaders are today, and this makes me wonder if they are even having near as many of these kinds of experiences as have happened in the past.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Base on the current woke status of the school and it's pro gay agenda, I would say this is utterly false. It's a pit of vipers.

Light Seeker
captain of 100

Post by Light Seeker »

kirtland r.m. wrote: March 9th, 2023, 6:59 pm Within months of becoming president of the Church, John Taylor met with Zina Young Williams, the dean of women of the Brigham Young Academy, and a daughter of Brigham Young. Sister Williams was worried about the future of the academy. President Taylor took her hand “in a fatherly way” and said:
“My dear child, I have something of importance to tell you that I know will make you happy. I have been visited by your father. He came to me in the silence of the night clothed in brightness and with a face beaming with love and confidence told me things of great importance and among others that the school being taught by Brother [Karl G.] Maeser was accepted in the heavens and was a part of the great plan of life and salvation; . . . and there was a bright future in store for . . . preparing . . . the children of the covenant for future usefulness in the Kingdom of God, and that Christ himself was directing, and had a care over this school.”
(See: Leonard J. Arrington, ed., The Presidents of the Church (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1986), pp. 108­109.)

Brigham Young Academy grew into Brigham Young University with it several campuses, international and internet programs. BYU has prepared countless students for “usefulness in the Kingdom.” Scores of prophets, apostles, general authorities, general officers, and local leaders have attended BYU.https://londonedition.home.blog/2021/10 ... uccessors/

Unfortunately, I think it has slipped more than a few notches since then.
Leonard Arrington was the church historian whose journals were recently published. Among the contents were statements about rewriting church history. I don't believe anything he says.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

These scriptures may be helpful:

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. (2 Timothy 4)

16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (2 Peter 1)

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

I think Brigham Young University has done a lot of good in this world. I think those days are over. I would not want my child to attend that school, based on the graduates I've seen in recent years.

I'm sure there are good people doing good things there, but how do you tell who they are? There are so many who are teaching heresies now. I don't even want my children to go to BYUI, anymore, because I see way too much of that here.

Also, the dang Church Board of Education is a good reason to avoid those schools.