Don't miss material, Visitation of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to President John Taylor.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Don't miss material, Visitation of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to President John Taylor.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Visitation of Joseph Smith and Jesus to President John Taylor

After the federal government made polygamy a felony, LDS leaders were hunted and imprisoned by federal marshals. To avoid capture, many of the leaders went into hiding. President John Taylor hid at a farmhouse in Centerville, Utah.

During that time, Lorin Wooley acted as President Taylor’s bodyguard. On the night of September 26, 1886, Brother Lorin noticed a bright light coming from beneath Pres. Taylor’s door. Lorin heard three men talking, Pres. Taylor and two others. Lorin had not seen any visitors come into the house, so he checked Pres. Taylor’s door. It was bolted shut. Lorin listened to the voices until about midnight. By the sound, he would tell that one of the men in Pres. Taylor’s room had left. The other one stayed.

“I returned to my post and continued to hear the voices in that room. They were so audible that, although I did not see the parties, I could place their positions in the room from the sound of their voices.”
When Pres. Taylor came out his room the next morning, he “glowed.” Lorin explained, “we could scarcely look at him on account of the brightness of his personage.’
Lorin asked who the voices belonged to. President Taylor replied, “I had a very pleasant conversation all night with Prophet Joseph.” When Lorin asked who the “other” man was, Pres. Taylor declared, “Brother Lorin, that was your Lord.”

(Lynn L. Bishop, The 1886 Visitations of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to John Taylor: The Centerville meetings, Latter Day Publications, Salt Lake City, 1998, p. 17-20)

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Don't miss material, Visitation of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to President John Taylor.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Visitations of Joseph Smith to President Wilford Woodruff

While serving as President of the Church, Wilford Woodruff was visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith several times. Brother Wilford recorded:
“Joseph visited me and laid before me a great many things. Among other things, he told me to get the Spirit of God.”
“Joseph Smith visited me a great deal after his death and taught me many important principles.
“The last time he visited me was while I was in a storm at sea. I was going on my last mission to preside in England…. The night following this [miracle of stilling the storm] Joseph and Hyrum visited me, and the Prophet laid before me a great many things.
“Among other things, he told me to get the Spirit of God; that all of us needed it….
“Joseph Smith continued visiting myself and others up to a certain time, and then it stopped.
The last time I saw him was in heaven. In the night vision I saw him at the door of the temple in heaven. He came and spoke to me. He said he could not stop to talk with me because he was in a hurry….
“By and by I saw the Prophet again, and I got the privilege to ask him a question. ‘Now,’ said I, ‘I want to know why you are in a hurry. I have been in a hurry all through my life; but I expected my hurry would be over when I got into the kingdom of heaven, if I ever did.’
“Joseph said: ‘I will tell you, Brother Woodruff. Every dispensation that has had the Priesthood on the earth and has gone into the celestial kingdom, has had a certain amount of work to do to prepare to go to the earth with the Savior when He goes to reign on the earth. Each dispensation has had ample time to do this work. We have not. We are the last dispensation, and so much work has to be done, and we need to be in a hurry in order to accomplish it.’ Of course, that was satisfactory to me, but it was new doctrine to me.”
“I have had many interviews with Brother Joseph until the last fifteen or twenty years of my life; I have not seen him for that length of time.”
(See: Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses 21:317-318; Ludwall, ed. Temples of the Most High, 1960, pp. 321-322; Wilford Woodruff discourse at the Weber Stake Conf. Oct 19, 1896; Alonzo Gaskill, “To Every Man is Given a Gift: Spiritual Legacy of Wilford Woodruff,” BYU Religious Studies Center; Wilford Woodruff’s Journal, 2:478-479, Nov. 1, 1844; 3:578-579, Oct. 20, 1850))

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Don't miss material, Visitation of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to President John Taylor.

Post by Luke »

kirtland r.m. wrote: March 7th, 2023, 8:53 pm Visitation of Joseph Smith and Jesus to President John Taylor

After the federal government made polygamy a felony, LDS leaders were hunted and imprisoned by federal marshals. To avoid capture, many of the leaders went into hiding. President John Taylor hid at a farmhouse in Centerville, Utah.

During that time, Lorin Wooley acted as President Taylor’s bodyguard. On the night of September 26, 1886, Brother Lorin noticed a bright light coming from beneath Pres. Taylor’s door. Lorin heard three men talking, Pres. Taylor and two others. Lorin had not seen any visitors come into the house, so he checked Pres. Taylor’s door. It was bolted shut. Lorin listened to the voices until about midnight. By the sound, he would tell that one of the men in Pres. Taylor’s room had left. The other one stayed.

“I returned to my post and continued to hear the voices in that room. They were so audible that, although I did not see the parties, I could place their positions in the room from the sound of their voices.”
When Pres. Taylor came out his room the next morning, he “glowed.” Lorin explained, “we could scarcely look at him on account of the brightness of his personage.’
Lorin asked who the voices belonged to. President Taylor replied, “I had a very pleasant conversation all night with Prophet Joseph.” When Lorin asked who the “other” man was, Pres. Taylor declared, “Brother Lorin, that was your Lord.”

(Lynn L. Bishop, The 1886 Visitations of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith to John Taylor: The Centerville meetings, Latter Day Publications, Salt Lake City, 1998, p. 17-20)
I love this story. I was talking about it today, and the Spirit as always witnessed that the events described did indeed happen.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

A true message or a true messenger will be consistent with existing scriptures. When a messenger or a message is inconsistent with existing scripture you can know that it is from a false spirit or is an incorrect or false message. Hugh B Brown said this in his speech The Profile of a Prophet:
His teachings would be in strict conformity with scripture, and his words and his writings would become scripture. “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:21).
With that in mind, I will point out a few flaws with the account presented by Lorin C Woolley.

1. The incident reported by Woolley was to have occurred on 27Sep1886. John Nuttal, Secretary to the First Presidency makes no mention of the incident in his journal entry for that day. In fact he states that President Taylor was playing quoits (a game similar to horseshoes) that morning and afternoon. George Q Cannons diary entries likewise makes no mention of the purported entry. Both Cannon and Nuttal were faithful reporters and surely would have recorded such an important meeting.

2. Woolley was not a participant or an invitee to the heavenly vision. Woolley reports that he saw a heavenly light coming from under the door leading to President Taylor's room. In scriptural accounts of heavenly visions, third-parties do not notice that others in their presence are receiving a visitation. Daniel's companions did not see his vision, Josephs siblings did not see Moroni, the vision of the three degrees of glory (D&C 76) was in the presence of about a dozen individuals who did not witness the vision. Woolley account seems to embellished in this regard.

3. Angels do not communicate with vocal cords causing the air to vibrate creating sound waves. They communicated telepathically or mind to mind. Those who are not privy to the conversation do not “hear” what is being communicated. Woolley at the very least embellishes what he purportedly “heard” in order to make is seem more credible, adding details such as “I could place their positions in the room from the sound of their voices”. This does not match up with true scriptural accounts.

4. If President Taylor was glowing the next morning, why didn't Cannon or Nuttal diaries make note of that significant detail?

5. In the full account of this incident, Woolley states that he shook hands with the Joseph Smith in the meeting that afternoon. Adding Joseph Smith to the account is obviously an attempt to add authority to the account and to tie Joseph Smith to polygamy. However, disembodied spirits do not shake hands (D&C 129:6-7). To me this is another unnecessary embellishment.

Details of the Lorin C Woolley story can be found here : http://www.shields-research.org/Books/P ... ry-c01.htm

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

investigator wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:39 am A true message or a true messenger will be consistent with existing scriptures. When a messenger or a message is inconsistent with existing scripture you can know that it is from a false spirit or is an incorrect or false message. Hugh B Brown said this in his speech The Profile of a Prophet:
His teachings would be in strict conformity with scripture, and his words and his writings would become scripture. “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:21).
With that in mind, I will point out a few flaws with the account presented by Lorin C Woolley.

1. The incident reported by Woolley was to have occurred on 27Sep1886. John Nuttal, Secretary to the First Presidency makes no mention of the incident in his journal entry for that day. In fact he states that President Taylor was playing quoits (a game similar to horseshoes) that morning and afternoon. George Q Cannons diary entries likewise makes no mention of the purported entry. Both Cannon and Nuttal were faithful reporters and surely would have recorded such an important meeting.

2. Woolley was not a participant or an invitee to the heavenly vision. Woolley reports that he saw a heavenly light coming from under the door leading to President Taylor's room. In scriptural accounts of heavenly visions, third-parties do not notice that others in their presence are receiving a visitation. Daniel's companions did not see his vision, Josephs siblings did not see Moroni, the vision of the three degrees of glory (D&C 76) was in the presence of about a dozen individuals who did not witness the vision. Woolley account seems to embellished in this regard.

3. Angels do not communicate with vocal cords causing the air to vibrate creating sound waves. They communicated telepathically or mind to mind. Those who are not privy to the conversation do not “hear” what is being communicated. Woolley at the very least embellishes what he purportedly “heard” in order to make is seem more credible, adding details such as “I could place their positions in the room from the sound of their voices”. This does not match up with true scriptural accounts.

4. If President Taylor was glowing the next morning, why didn't Cannon or Nuttal diaries make note of that significant detail?

5. In the full account of this incident, Woolley states that he shook hands with the Joseph Smith in the meeting that afternoon. Adding Joseph Smith to the account is obviously an attempt to add authority to the account and to tie Joseph Smith to polygamy. However, disembodied spirits do not shake hands (D&C 129:6-7). To me this is another unnecessary embellishment.

Details of the Lorin C Woolley story can be found here : http://www.shields-research.org/Books/P ... ry-c01.htm
Max Anderson?? An anti-Fundamentalist propagandist?? LOL

Sorry, investigator, but these points have been hashed out before—and they’re nonsense. They’re based on conjecture and assumptions about people’s motives and actions, and how God operates. The facts are that there is enough evidence aside from Lorin Woolley et al.’s accounts to show that the story has something to it.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

The fruits of mormon “fundamentalism” speak for themselves.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

investigator wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:49 pm The fruits of mormon “fundamentalism” speak for themselves.
The fruits of Fundamentalism lived right speak for itself, yes—that it is the true cause of God that all lovers of truth will unite under at some point.

Yes, there have been some devils as well as angels in the Fundamentalist movement, but this is no different to other religions. As Joseph F. Smith said (invoking Paul’s words) Plural Marriage is “a principle that savors of life unto life, or of death unto death”.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

investigator wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:39 am A true message or a true messenger will be consistent with existing scriptures. When a messenger or a message is inconsistent with existing scripture you can know that it is from a false spirit or is an incorrect or false message. Hugh B Brown said this in his speech The Profile of a Prophet:

"Angels do not communicate with vocal cords ...."

Nonsense. You've no idea what you're talking about.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

Again, the following seem to apply:

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. (2 Timothy 4)

16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (2 Peter 1)

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Yet another 3rd hand account told decades later by someone with a vested interest to keep the narrative alive.

Somehow none of these miraculous events never get recorded in a journal or paper or discourse of the day….

Thank you for further evidence that these miraculous events are manufactured rather than real…

Please keep them coming. They are incredibly helpful in my search for truth.