John Hilton and non-LDS colleagues at Berkeley, 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

John Hilton and non-LDS colleagues at Berkeley, 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Something very interesting from a group of non members at Berkley.

If Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon, we should be able to see his "literary style" across the entire book. If he copied from someone, we should see that author's writing style likewise. If the Book of Mormon was written by ancient authors, we should be able to see distinct writing styles among each different author. This study of this is called analyzing "word patterns", "wordprinting" or "stylometry". It is the science of identifying authorship by measuring the words and phrases a person unconsciously uses.

A scientific analysis was done by John Hilton and non-LDS colleagues at Berkeley.[1] The "Berkeley Group's" method relied on non-contextual word patterns, rather than just individual words. This method was designed from the ground up, and required works of at least 5,000 words. Here is what they found.https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/evi ... _of_Mormon

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Re: John Hilton and non-LDS colleagues at Berkeley, 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author.

Post by CuriousThinker »

I wonder why they would say about Section 132 of the D&C...

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Re: John Hilton and non-LDS colleagues at Berkeley, 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author.

Post by ransomme »

endlessQuestions wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 9:15 pm So.... you're saying there's a chance?
😂

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

1 in 15 trillion chance
Who says hyperbole is dead?

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Yeah, I've read this before. It is a little difficult to talk about how smart you are in a particular field, you know, 'blow your own trumpet', etc. But I am not dumb. I have post-graduate degrees and qualifications in Japanese, education, linguistics and teaching English as a second language. I have been an interpreter and a translator in the workplace (although not professionally). I have taught Japanese at all levels from beginner to advanced. I have taught English and English as a second language. I have published one novel and am working on the next as I write this. I am often asked by my workplace to proofread others teachers' works. So, I am not dumb when it comes to my letters.

Read the following, please. Joseph Smith DID NOT write the Book of Mormon.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Dave62 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:39 am Yeah, I've read this before. It is a little difficult to talk about how smart you are in a particular field, you know, 'blow your own trumpet', etc. But I am not dumb. I have post-graduate degrees and qualifications in Japanese, education, linguistics and teaching English as a second language. I have been an interpreter and a translator in the workplace (although not professionally). I have taught Japanese at all levels from beginner to advanced. I have taught English and English as a second language. I have published one novel and am working on the next as I write this. I am often asked by my workplace to proofread others teachers' works. So, I am not dumb when it comes to my letters.

Read the following, please. Joseph Smith DID NOT write the Book of Mormon.
I don't think you should be shy about sharing your qualifications. I personally love hearing about the amazing accomplishments of others.

And I hope my little movie quote joke up above isn't taken the wrong way - there is NO WAY Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I really wish FAIR would timestamp their articles.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

It's bonus time brothers and sisters, here is another deep dive into the wonderful evidence of the Book of Mormon.

Book of Mormon Names Attested in Ancient Hebrew Inscriptions

Abstract

In recent years, a large number of ancient writings have been found in and around Israel. While many of these include names found in the Bible and other ancient texts, others were previously unattested in written sources. Some of these previously unattested names, though unknown in the Bible, are found in the Book of Mormon. The discovery of these Hebrew names in ancient inscriptions provides remarkable evidence for the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and provides clear refutation of those critics who would place its origin in nineteenth-century America. This article explores several Book of Mormon proper names that are attested from Hebrew inscriptions. Names included are Sariah, Alma, Abish, Aha, Ammonihah, Chemish, Hagoth, Himni, Isabel, Jarom, Josh, Luram, Mathoni, Mathonihah, Muloki, and Sam—none of which appear in English Bibles.https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/jbms/vol9/iss1/11/

Here is a final thought for you, it's not mine but I completely agree with it.

In speaking about C. S. Lewis as a Christian apologist, the theologian Austin Farrer observed:

“Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish.”
Austin Farrer, “The Christian Apologist,” in Light on C. S. Lewis, ed. Jocelyn Gibb [New York: Harcourt, Brace, and World, 1965], 26.

Here is another bonus.We have done our homework showing that the names are ancient in origin.https://www.fromthedesk.org/book-of-mor ... omasticon/

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

kirtland r.m. wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:50 pm It's bonus time brothers and sisters, here is another deep dive into the wonderful evidence of the Book of Mormon.

Book of Mormon Names Attested in Ancient Hebrew Inscriptions

Abstract

In recent years, a large number of ancient writings have been found in and around Israel. While many of these include names found in the Bible and other ancient texts, others were previously unattested in written sources. Some of these previously unattested names, though unknown in the Bible, are found in the Book of Mormon. The discovery of these Hebrew names in ancient inscriptions provides remarkable evidence for the authenticity of the Book of Mormon and provides clear refutation of those critics who would place its origin in nineteenth-century America. This article explores several Book of Mormon proper names that are attested from Hebrew inscriptions. Names included are Sariah, Alma, Abish, Aha, Ammonihah, Chemish, Hagoth, Himni, Isabel, Jarom, Josh, Luram, Mathoni, Mathonihah, Muloki, and Sam—none of which appear in English Bibles.https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/jbms/vol9/iss1/11/

Here is a final thought for you, it's not mine but I completely agree with it.

In speaking about C. S. Lewis as a Christian apologist, the theologian Austin Farrer observed:

“Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish.”
Austin Farrer, “The Christian Apologist,” in Light on C. S. Lewis, ed. Jocelyn Gibb [New York: Harcourt, Brace, and World, 1965], 26.

Here is another bonus.We have done our homework showing that the names are ancient in origin.https://www.fromthedesk.org/book-of-mor ... omasticon/
I love your stubborn insistence on presenting any and all faith-building evidence to us.

Keeps me honest.

Thanks, kirtland.

And these are good ones, by the way.

I'd be interested to see any rigorous responses - either already published ones, or other people's thoughts.