Hydroponics in a bucket.

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Hydroponics in a bucket.

Post by OCDMOM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcZLfKxJK4.
I have seen a lot of videos on youtube about Hydroponics in a bucket. This guy uses fish tank equipment.

Has anybody tried any of these type things in buckets? What is the best way?

bbrown
captain of 100

Re: Hydroponics in a bucket.

Post by bbrown »

It works well. “Kratky” style hydroponics works. We have shelves with lights where our leaf lettuces grow in 1/2 gallon jars. By the time it runs out of water mix it’s time to harvest.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Re: Hydroponics in a bucket.

Post by Ymarsakar »

OCDMOM wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:12 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcZLfKxJK4.
I have seen a lot of videos on youtube about Hydroponics in a bucket. This guy uses fish tank equipment.

Has anybody tried any of these type things in buckets? What is the best way?
I have used the aeroponics setup that he showed, although it was bought not built. I'm not good at building in 3dimensions.

The best way is something that does not stress you, is fun, and can be done economically with your situation/sunlight.

So long as you understand how this works in principle, even the plastic self watering bins on amazon will work.

The plant is suspended in the open air, so the upper roots take in oxygen and is not drowned. The nutrients then allows the plant to live and grow long roots that go down and down. These long roots are then kept hydrated by the dark/humid conditions, so they usually take al ong time to dry out even without water.

The roots then take in the nutrient solution directly but you need the right ph and what not, which can take a lot of work.

I was trying to go for a hybrid setup where I had soil in the upper half and then a nutrient/water bath at the bottom. It grew a lot slower but didn't need a lot of hydroponic solution.