Temple Endowment Changes

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Temple Endowment Changes

Post by LDS Physician »

I'm hearing from relatives who attended today that there are "13 minutes" of changes in the temple endowment. I'd love to hear if anyone has seen them or know what they are specifically?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Temple Endowment Changes

Post by Chip »

Creator found this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... t_changes/
The endowment starts with a message from the first presidency about the adjustments. The video starts with a picture of Jesus. Images of Jesus and references to Jesus now appear throughout the endowment.

There is a new intro that explains the 5 covenants prior to inviting people to leave or stay. The narrator voice is accompanied by soft music.

There is no witness couple; Adam and Eve play that role on the big screen.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Not much else on the Reddit thread so far. Doesn’t sound like a big deal (so far). Actually sounds somewhat positive. .

Free_Man
captain of 10

Post by Free_Man »

I thought that these ordinances were eternal and unchanging. We are taught that every must have these ordinances or they cannot be saved. Isaiah condemns those that "change the ordinances." Honest question, why do the dead need these ordinances to change? If 99% of the work is for the dead, why do they need the ordinances to change?

Once again, where is the declaration of revelation? We are told about "adjustments." Maybe we need a book of "adjustments" added to the end of the D&C. Humm.....That is not the same as receiving revelation. Adjustments are "almost revelations."

I'm sorry to sound so disgruntled. I truly want Adjustments come from committees. We are total these adjustments are part of the on going "Restoration." But, we are never told about actual revelation. We are told they are PSRs and asked to sustain them as such. But, there is no prophesying, seeing, or revealing.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

They, the church, can change the endowment all they want. It doesn't make it any truer, any more meaningful, and it's still NOT required for salvation. ( Mormon Exaltation is not a thing)

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Free_Man wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:06 pm I thought that these ordinances were eternal and unchanging. We are taught that every must have these ordinances or they cannot be saved. Isaiah condemns those that "change the ordinances." Honest question, why do the dead need these ordinances to change? If 99% of the work is for the dead, why do they need the ordinances to change?

Once again, where is the declaration of revelation? We are told about "adjustments." Maybe we need a book of "adjustments" added to the end of the D&C. Humm.....That is not the same as receiving revelation. Adjustments are "almost revelations."

I'm sorry to sound so disgruntled. I truly want Adjustments come from committees. We are total these adjustments are part of the on going "Restoration." But, we are never told about actual revelation. We are told they are PSRs and asked to sustain them as such. But, there is no prophesying, seeing, or revealing.
Focus groups, questionnaires, and trial runs are the new revelatory techniques used by the church.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

From the description so far, it appears the changes are all about presentation of the endowment. The presentation is not the ordinance.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Here is what I know so far about today’s temple changes.

*There’s a new intro that adds in the premortal life.
*There is no live witness couple. Adam and Eve now do what the witness couple did. They receive the signs and tokens now.
*Some of the symbols are explained.
*All instructions, including the veil teachings, are now prerecorded. The live ordinance worker is no longer part of anything other than the prayer circle and the last part at the veil.
*There are changes in wording that match what is in the updated temple prep and missionary lessons.
*The session is about 1 1/2 hours now which 10 minutes longer than before.
*The male ordinance worker no longer does anything other than sit and press buttons as needed until the live prayer circle is performed.
*The endowment now focuses on the Savior and covenants. There is more context with revised wording in various places.
*There’s a longer intro and everything is now automated.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

It appears that there are no witness couples anymore. I know from previous sessions that I've been in here in Canada that they don't like to use witness couples that aren't married. Only as a last resort. I've had to do it a few times and I'm not married because there just wasn't any married couple available.

With more and more of the population being unmarried, it's going to be a bigger issue going forward. People just can't afford to get married anymore and it seems the churches and governments are finally realizing that fact. Families cost a LOT of money unfortunately.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

I just finished a session and it was amazing and beautiful.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

I experienced it today.

It will be somewhat more clear for first timers and those who never understood much.

There are more references to Christ and the Atonement, and coming to the veil.

Not much difference in length.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Sure hope Initiatory hasn’t become ‘automated’!

What happens should reliable electricity become unreliable or even gone? Will we remember? Will knowledge be retained? Will ‘hard copies’ exist?

I’m having a hard time getting my ‘ministering’ assignments because I’m at least 3 operating systems behind on my computer & have no ‘apps’ on my phone. NO TOOLs!

I look forward to the future. The reality we now share does not seem sustainable.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Unfortunately, none of this has to do with the oaths you make to follow these men in order to get in the door. The phrase "appearance" of righteousness comes to mind.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

Families cost a LOT of money unfortunately.
I have to disagree with this sentiment. Another misnomer/ or lie to discourage family.

What constitutes "a lot of money"? I'm sure the answer varies from person-to-person.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:07 pm
I have to disagree with this sentiment. Another misnomer/ or lie to discourage family.

What constitutes "a lot of money"? I'm sure the answer varies from person-to-person.
It's not a lie unfortunately. When you factor in all the costs of raising a child, it's considerable. The savings are in sharing a home

The destruction of community and the extended family has all contributed to the rising costs.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Niemand wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:13 pm

It's not a lie unfortunately. When you factor in all the costs of raising a child, it's considerable. The savings are in sharing a home

The destruction of community and the extended family has all contributed to the rising costs.
I think we've convinced ourselves of what a "typical" standard of living looks like. It doesn't need to look like that. But that comes with less amenities.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:18 pm

I think we've convinced ourselves of what a "typical" standard of living looks like. It doesn't need to look like that. But that comes with less amenities.
If you try and raise your children at the level that I remember several decades ago, you'd likely have them taken off you by the state. At least round here.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Can it be more expensive, than if you are single? sure.

I still find it a lie.
Last edited by pho·to·syn·the·sis on February 7th, 2023, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:23 pm

Can it be more expensive, than if you are single? sure.
Every time I read how much they say it costs per child to raise till their 18 I think, "gee only a millionaire could do that". The numbers are way inflated. Is it super inexpensive to raise a family? No. But it's not crazy expensive either. My husband and I have 5 kids, I am a SAHM. My husband has never had a high paying job, but we always have provided for our kids.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Canada has one of the highest cost of living in the world currently. Americans would be shocked at the price differences. When you try to tell someone that a 1 bedroom apartment now costs $2000-2500 a month with utilities and food on top of that, they think it's a lie. That's after some of the highest taxes in the world. Americans would be shocked how much Canada has collapsed since COVID.
Last edited by Sunain on February 7th, 2023, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Sunain wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:43 pm Americans would be shocked how much Canada has collapsed since COVID.
Interesting. I have much faith the Lord and what he tells me. In late 1999 I was looking at a cabin in Utah or Id or Co. The Lord told me that my "refuge" would be in Canada in the Okanogan valley. Then came COVID and Trudeau........ Now, I must admit I am questioning the Lord for the first time ever!

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

TheDuke wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:52 pm Interesting. I have much faith the Lord and what he tells me. In late 1999 I was looking at a cabin in Utah or Id or Co. The Lord told me that my "refuge" would be in Canada in the Okanogan valley. Then came COVID and Trudeau........ Now, I must admit I am questioning the Lord for the first time ever!
I live in BC. In the event that you would need to go to a refuge, the Okanogan valley is still a good location. Isolated from most the major population centers in North America yet beneficial to grow food almost year round. One of the only places in Canada where you can do that. Trust in the Lord, if that's where he has told you to go, don't second guess the prompting from the spirit! Who knows, you might see a fellow wanderer in the wilderness there! :)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Sunain wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:55 pm
TheDuke wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:52 pm Interesting. I have much faith the Lord and what he tells me. In late 1999 I was looking at a cabin in Utah or Id or Co. The Lord told me that my "refuge" would be in Canada in the Okanogan valley. Then came COVID and Trudeau........ Now, I must admit I am questioning the Lord for the first time ever!
I live in BC. In the event that you would need to go to a refuge, the Okanogan valley is still a good location. Isolated from most the major population centers in North America yet beneficial to grow food almost year round. One of the only places in Canada where you can do that. Trust in the Lord, if that's where he has told you to go, don't second guess the prompting from the spirit! Who knows, you might see a fellow wanderer in the wilderness there! :)
thanks, I was sarcastic about the "not trusting the Lord" part. The real issue is that the location is with the family of my former spouse, and that is way complicated (Oliver BC on Inkameep Band Reserve). My wife would divorce me before letting us move there...................... unless the tribulations make things much different in the near future.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Sunain wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Canada has one of the highest cost of living in the world currently. Americans would be shocked at the price differences. When you try to tell someone that a 1 bedroom apartment now costs $2000-2500 a month with utilities and food on top of that, they think it's a lie. That's after some of the highest taxes in the world. Americans would be shocked how much Canada has collapsed since COVID.
I live on a border state. They remind me how expensive things are. What is interesting is, that nations that are "touted" as the safest, most prosperous and socially advanced in the history of the world, are not conducive to traditional vibrant family. You would think the opposite would be true. It is a phenomenon I find interesting. This appears to be similar in Scandinavian countries.

I'm sure Canadian fertility would be closer to 1, if it wasn't for immigration.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71 ... 03-eng.htm

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Didn't Watchmen say to look out for changes on 02/07? I love that guy. Fiery warrior for the truth