"Body Positivity"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Re: "Body Positivity"

Post by Lemarque »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:29 am Probably a good place for this… the past few months have put me squarely in the “Overweight” category. Need to get moving.
I had no idea you had gotten up over 140...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Lemarque wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:34 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:29 am Probably a good place for this… the past few months have put me squarely in the “Overweight” category. Need to get moving.
I had no idea you had gotten up over 140...
5 ft and lovin’ it. :)

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

The positivity idea, movement, whatever is kind of the same thing as the trans movement though lesser. There are characteristics both male and female that are universally recognized as attractive or beautiful. Across cultures and nations. To say that looking like an emaciated skeleton or 5’2” 300 lbs are the same as these ideals is a lie. Everyone knows it’s a lie. If you put the 5’2” 300 lbs next to a curvy fit woman and ask any man which is more attractive the fit woman will always win. Same with a 5’10” 300 lb man with a big gut next to a fit muscular man and ask any woman she’s going to say the fit man is more attractive. Saying it isn’t the case is a huge lie. Does everyone have to be the ideal, no. That said however not everyone who is fat or emaciated or whatever is that way by choice. There are a host of issues that can put weight shape etc beyond the control of the person. I know numerous people who cannot loose weight no matter how hard they workout and how little they eat. There are hormonal issues that cannot be cured at this time that make it impossible. Everyone who are not the ideal are not necessarily slothful or gluttonous. Assuming so, is rude and hurtful. This is the root of this movement, unfortunately it takes it way too far past not assuming to telling everyone that characteristics that are not attractive are. And vehemently enforcing it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

bbrown wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:05 pm If you put the 5’2” 300 lbs next to a curvy fit woman and ask any man which is more attractive the fit woman will always win. Same with a 5’10” 300 lb man with a big gut next to a fit muscular man and ask any woman she’s going to say the fit man is more attractive. Saying it isn’t the case is a huge lie.
Generally it's not the case, but there are a few people out there who are attracted to fat men and women.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

The idea that you are perfect just how you are and that somehow God himself is responsible and content with your current state, as opposed to seeing your potential and what you are able to be if you are willing to work toward it, is a DEVIL'S doctrine. Jesus said BE YE THEREFORE PERFECT.

He never said YOU'RE PERFECT JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.

That was Joel Osteen. 😁

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Jashon wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:37 am We've been set up to fail at being at a healthy weight. It could be that the ruling class wants the vast majority of people to be obese or on the verge of obesity.

We've been told to eat the wrong fats, which cause inflammation and cravings. We're told to eat a lot of grains, which cause cravings and raise insulin, which leads to fat storage, and the fat that's stored is unhealthy and unstable.

Eat more eggs, eat more meat, and avoid processed garbage. Then cravings will diminish and healthy satiety signals will be restored and insulin will be kept in check and fat storage will go down and a healthier weight will be achieved, naturally.
Interestingly, the word of wisdom seems to push grains and discourage meat. Of course, I no longer believe the WoW is a true commandment (and never was) but that's a story for another day.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

bbrown wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:05 pm Everyone who are not the ideal are not necessarily slothful or gluttonous. Assuming so, is rude and hurtful.
I don’t think it’s far-fetched to assume that obesity for the vast majority is a result of habits and lifestyle choices. There are always anomalies which can be dealt with accordingly, but they shouldn’t determine the standard.

To shame someone for their body is something I do not condone, but it’s equally wrong to validate poor life choices. Even if someone is obese due to hormonal issues that doesn’t mean it’s healthy.

I don’t think the beauty or health standards (or any standard for that matter) should be altered to fit a minority.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

bbrown wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:05 pm The positivity idea, movement, whatever is kind of the same thing as the trans movement though lesser. There are characteristics both male and female that are universally recognized as attractive or beautiful. Across cultures and nations. To say that looking like an emaciated skeleton or 5’2” 300 lbs are the same as these ideals is a lie. Everyone knows it’s a lie. If you put the 5’2” 300 lbs next to a curvy fit woman and ask any man which is more attractive the fit woman will always win. Same with a 5’10” 300 lb man with a big gut next to a fit muscular man and ask any woman she’s going to say the fit man is more attractive. Saying it isn’t the case is a huge lie. Does everyone have to be the ideal, no. That said however not everyone who is fat or emaciated or whatever is that way by choice. There are a host of issues that can put weight shape etc beyond the control of the person. I know numerous people who cannot loose weight no matter how hard they workout and how little they eat. There are hormonal issues that cannot be cured at this time that make it impossible. Everyone who are not the ideal are not necessarily slothful or gluttonous. Assuming so, is rude and hurtful. This is the root of this movement, unfortunately it takes it way too far past not assuming to telling everyone that characteristics that are not attractive are. And vehemently enforcing it.
Very true. I remember in school having a friend that ate like a mouse. I always tried to encourage him to eat more. Personally, I believe that it was due to a traumatic issue that he had as a young child, his metabolism shifted overnight. He went from a healthy, happy weight and demeanor to gaining a lot of weight and seemed to be very depressed about life. If you didn't know any better, you would assume he just overate a lot. Sadly, he was teased a lot over his weight and endured mostly in silence.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Of course we all should be loving towards each other, knowing that we all have struggles, some may be more noticeable than others. Personally, I’ve never been attracted to super skinny nor too muscular.

2 facts remains:
*Eating more calories than burned off = weight gain
*And the most common cause of death (after abortion) is heart disease, which is associated with obesity.

HOW LONG IT REALLY TAKES TO (burn off calories of…)

McDonald's: Big Mac, large French fries, Coco-Cola classic (large) = 1,330 calories
Yoga/strength training: 6hrs 16 mins
Dancing: 4 hrs 11 mins (could 1/2 that if you dance like this 😎 https://youtube.com/shorts/5HMW7ooyQzE?feature=share)
Running: 2 hrs 30 mins
Walking 4hrs 57 mins
Biking 2hrs 21 mins
Rollberblading 3hrs 8 mins
Cardio: 2 hrs 21 mins
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food ... g-Mac.html

This seems accurate:
Weight loss/gain is 20% Exercises & 80% Food/Drinks

Some simple ways to lose weight:
*Drink only water/sugar free drinks
*For sweet cravings - eat peppermints (natural appetite suppressant)
*Smaller bowls/plates for smaller portions

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

blitzinstripes wrote: February 5th, 2023, 5:19 am The idea that you are perfect just how you are and that somehow God himself is responsible and content with your current state, as opposed to seeing your potential and what you are able to be if you are willing to work toward it, is a DEVIL'S doctrine. Jesus said BE YE THEREFORE PERFECT.

He never said YOU'RE PERFECT JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.

That was Joel Osteen. 😁
This is it. My physical health is much like my spiritual health; where I am is my fault, my responsibility, and I am 100% capable of improving it some how, some way, no matter what state I am in. Physical events can occur to impede my physical health, and social or emotional events can occur to impede my spiritual health, but the preceding sentence is still 100% true. My body is a temple and reflects the level of effort I put into myself generally. It, and my mind, are the only two things I take everywhere I go, and that impact everything I do. When life changes to make it seem harder to stay healthy, that's a clue that it's time to step it up or to re-assess what I'm doing.

If not for yourself, then think of your partner. My body is not just mine, it is also my wife's. We must be together and have children together. If I willingly neglect my ability to attract her or to raise active, healthy children, I am failing the marriage covenant.

If not for her, than I must care for my body as the literal gift from God that it is. Whatever intelligences animate the material it is made from are a part of my and are subject to my constant will, and for the time that they comprise my body, I owe them someone striving for more righteous standing than I have.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I have not read through all of the comments, due to time constraints. When I think of "Body Positive" I do not think of accepting myself if I am out of shape. I think of accepting myself if my rear end is not as big as people think it should be... or my breasts... or my lips. Young people are getting surgeries to add/alter their looks to appear more like their body idols.

These are the people whom I would hope that "Body Positive" will impact.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Momma J wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:39 pm I have not read through all of the comments, due to time constraints. When I think of "Body Positive" I do not think of accepting myself if I am out of shape. I think of accepting myself if my rear end is not as big as people think it should be... or my breasts... or my lips. Young people are getting surgeries to add/alter their looks to appear more like their body idols.

These are the people whom I would hope that "Body Positive" will impact.
Good point. I’ve never seen a social post referring to that specifically, which is why I emphasize the weight topic.

Positivity is just that, positive. Good. Wanting to change because of positive influence is much different than changing due to discontent.

Body dysphoria is a good way to put it.