The Chosen

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Re: The Chosen

Post by cab »

Atrasado wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:40 pm What do you all think of The Chosen show? I've never seen it and I wonder how doctrinal it is. Do you think it's pleasing to God?
10x better than anything the church has done. Some side stories I could do without but this is a minor complaint for a show I recommend to everyone…
You should watch it. It’s really really good…
I cry from both eyes in almost every episode.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

Here’s a guy that has broken the Chosen into clips that correlate with Come Follow Me Lessons haha
https://johnhiltoniii.com/seekingjesus/thechosen/

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

The Chosen keeps getting better and better. Season 3 episode 5 replaces the wedding ( season 1 episode 5 ) as my favorite episode. If you haven’t watched any of the Chosen yet, I would recommend it above all other viewing choices out there, bar none. No game, not even the Super Bowl, the World Cup, or the World Series, no sitcom, drama or any Hollywood production can lift you and change your life like the Chosen can and will if you will watch it.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Trucker wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:51 pm As for how well The Chosen is being received in the world of Christendom, just search for "The Chosen" on YouTube and see how many videos there are decrying it or saying it's heretical etc. It's generating more and more opposition. That probably means it a good thing.
I agree.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dallas-jenkins-409b0b1b

From St. Paul Minnesota. I went to Minneapolis several months ago and thought it a throughly creepy place with overhead walkways throughput the downtown area. My dad worked for Sperry Univac which was headquartered there. The downtown area is full of crazies, worse than any other city I’ve ever been, not that I’ve been to that many.

Anyone ever been to the twin cities?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:15 pm https://www.linkedin.com/in/dallas-jenkins-409b0b1b

From St. Paul Minnesota. I went to Minneapolis several months ago and thought it a throughly creepy place with overhead walkways throughput the downtown area. My dad worked for Sperry Univac which was headquartered there. The downtown area is full of crazies, worse than any other city I’ve ever been, not that I’ve been to that many.

Nope.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

The last three episodes are maybe my favorites. This show is so wonderful.

Anyone that hasn’t given it a try, just get over yourselves and watch it…

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:15 pm https://www.linkedin.com/in/dallas-jenkins-409b0b1b

Yes, several times, but won't be going back - largely due to **** like this -

'Jesus Saves' shirt is 'offending' Mall of America shoppers, security guard says — and he orders man to remove shirt or get out of the mall

Cellphone video captured a confrontation involving a Mall of America security guard telling a man wearing a "Jesus Saves" T-shirt that his shirt is "offending" shoppers at the famously large mall in Bloomington, Minnesota — and the guard ordered the man to remove the shirt or leave the mall.

Full article here - https://www.theblaze.com/news/video-jes ... Engagement

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

I have mixed feelings about The Chosen. I do watch it and like some of it, and some of it gets me to cry. But I do know it gets some things wrong, and teaches some false doctrine in it. And I've seen some videos about people behind the scenes and they are not good, including the main actor.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

I have nothing against The Chosen, as many get much out of it, but I have a hard time with fictionalized history. I had a problem with Gerald Lund's historical fiction series The Work and the Glory too. But that's just me. I would much rather read unembellished history.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

madvin wrote: January 16th, 2023, 10:42 pm I have nothing against The Chosen, as many get much out of it, but I have a hard time with fictionalized history. I had a problem with Gerald Lund's historical fiction series The Work and the Glory too. But that's just me. I would much rather read unembellished history.
Oh, like “The Saints” ?

I don’t know where you’re going to find unembellished history considering current version of history is written by those currently in charge. Everything else goes down the memory hole.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

The Chosen is a tv series. I say it’s a pretty wholesome tv series at that. It has no horror, filth, violence or sex in it. The director’s goal is to tell the stories of Jesus as authentic as possible.

I get a kick out of the back stories they come up with. Did they lhappen that way? Probably not, but, they could have. Was the lady with the 12 year bleeding disorder named Veronica? Prolly not, but she could have been.

Did Jesus heal the sick, lame, blind, deaf and dumb, piss off the Pharisees, gather thousands of followers and become a threat to the Romans? Yes He did!

The Chosen tells the story better than anyone else. I still enjoy it knowing it’s not 100% accurate, but it could be.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Lineman1012 wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:13 am
madvin wrote: January 16th, 2023, 10:42 pm
...I would much rather read unembellished history.
...current version of history is written by those currently in charge...
Yes, for sure.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Atrasado wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:40 pm What do you all think of The Chosen show? I've never seen it and I wonder how doctrinal it is. Do you think it's pleasing to God?
I made a bit of a mistake with this series. The people I heard say they liked this series seemed like TBM kind of people so I didn't watch it. It seemed too mainstream to be good. I haven't seen all of it, but I will reiterate what everyone here is saying. It's not all accurate and if you don't know your New Testament, it might be hard to unlearn some of the facts, but there are very good messages in it. Forgetting about whether it's teaching the scriptures, it does teach the gospel.

I know the gospels decently. I often read between the lines and try to figure out what really happened, why did that person do that?, what happened in between these two stories?, etc. Much of the Chosen happens around these missing in-between experiences I wondered about and it has been interesting. Sometimes there are gaps that I didn't even consider that actually do seem extremely significant. It is very interesting in that regard and also humbling for me to see that I'm still at the base of the scriptural mountain.

I would encourage you to watch it and reawaken the thoughts and feelings and convictions that are already yours but maybe you have forgotten or neglected.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I finished watching all of season three that I could watch.

That Roman guy who has a fondness for Matthew? I don't recall his title, but I'm guessing he's a centurion?

I have a theory that they're setting him up to be the centurion who has a servant who is ill, who asks Jesus to heal him, but refuses to let Jesus come to his house because he considers himself unworthy of Jesus being there.

I say this because
Spoiler
he told Peter that he had a servant boy the same age as his son who was his son's best friend - then seeing his reaction to the crowd and the healings in the episode with the woman who had an issue of blood for 12 years (it was a rabbi who told the crowd to disperse, not him. Also, he was told to kick out and/or arrest the people in the tent city, and he not only didn't, he actually helped them). It just makes sense to me that this is what they're doing, and may have intended that at the outset (heck, they probably have the script for the whole 7 seasons already written).

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Silver Pie wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:47 pm I finished watching all of season three that I could watch.

That Roman guy who has a fondness for Matthew? I don't recall his title, but I'm guessing he's a centurion?

I have a theory that they're setting him up to be the centurion who has a servant who is ill, who asks Jesus to heal him, but refuses to let Jesus come to his house because he considers himself unworthy of Jesus being there.

I say this because
Spoiler
he told Peter that he had a servant boy the same age as his son who was his son's best friend - then seeing his reaction to the crowd and the healings in the episode with the woman who had an issue of blood for 12 years (it was a rabbi who told the crowd to disperse, not him. Also, he was told to kick out and/or arrest the people in the tent city, and he not only didn't, he actually helped them). It just makes sense to me that this is what they're doing, and may have intended that at the outset (heck, they probably have the script for the whole 7 seasons already written).
I also finished and I also shared that thought. I'm kind of losing interest because it's like 1/8 scriptural, 7/8 sitcom. At least it's not a sitcom infused with immorality.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Many times I’ve turned to the scriptures to see if what someone says is out of line, only to find out that what they did say or do is right there exactly as portrayed on screen.

Episodes 7 & 8 of season 3 are going to be shown at local theater near you on February 2nd & 3rd. Just as episodes 1 & 2 were right before Thanksgiving. It’s a great opportunity to see the Chosen on a bigger screen along with others who like the Chosen format.

Many of the theaters are adding additional show times.

Episode 7 will be released on the Chosen app, on Sunday the 5th and episode 8 will come out on Tuesday the 8th, for those who don’t want to or can’t make it to the theater.

Indy
captain of 100

Post by Indy »

As I have mentioned in prior posts, I have only attended Church 2 times since the Aug letter.

We recently moved to a very rural community. The nearest town has a population of 4,000. Most of the people here are Dutch. There are 27 churches in the town and the majority attend "reformed" churches. American Reformed, Christian Reformed, etc. We have been researching the different denominations trying to find a community church to attend. I have never been exposed to the Dutch Reformed churches, so decided to take a look at their beliefs out of curiosity. I found this discussion on Reddit discussing The Chosen facinating. Thier perspective on the show really has me doing some studying. https://www.reddit.com/r/Reformed/comme ... he_chosen/

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

We just got back from watching The Chosen Season 3 finale, episodes 7 & 8, at our local theater. I know the streaming is free and episode 7 comes online on Sunday and 8 on Tuesday, but it’s well worth it to see these two on the big screen. The Chosen has such a sweet spirit about it, I love it.

I won’t tell you about it, but, you ought to go see it if you can.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I purchased tickets earlier this week to see it tomorrow afternoon with a friend. I cannot wait! :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

FB_IMG_1676400007016.jpg
FB_IMG_1676400007016.jpg (129.13 KiB) Viewed 261 times
FB_IMG_1676399979426.jpg
FB_IMG_1676399979426.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 261 times
FB_IMG_1676399841196.jpg
FB_IMG_1676399841196.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 261 times

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

FB_IMG_1676399822262.jpg
FB_IMG_1676399822262.jpg (101.92 KiB) Viewed 259 times
FB_IMG_1676399785845.jpg
FB_IMG_1676399785845.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 259 times
FB_IMG_1676399776022.jpg
FB_IMG_1676399776022.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 259 times

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

I have never liked the idea of trying to portray JC in movies as it is impossible, so I've tried to avoid all movies about JC. Although I have seen a few, none I have liked.
I heard so much about The Chosen from family, I figured check it out. I was pleasantly surprised, considering. There are definitely some things I don't like, by far the biggest one, (and it bugs the hell out :) of me ) is Jesus and Mathew trying to write the "sermon on the mount". Come on directors, ever heard of "without purse or script" which is actually how the Gospel should be preached. But there were definitely some very touching scenes that got to me. So over all I think they are doing a decent job.
The guy playing the character Jesus, I think, is the best portrayal I've ever seen. Has humor, down to earth, compassionate, loves unconditionally, no pride, etc.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

simpleton wrote: February 14th, 2023, 12:02 pm I have never liked the idea of trying to portray JC in movies as it is impossible, so I've tried to avoid all movies about JC. Although I have seen a few, none I have liked.
I heard so much about The Chosen from family, I figured check it out. I was pleasantly surprised, considering. There are definitely some things I don't like, by far the biggest one, (and it bugs the hell out :) of me ) is Jesus and Mathew trying to write the "sermon on the mount". Come on directors, ever heard of "without purse or script" which is actually how the Gospel should be preached. But there were definitely some very touching scenes that got to me. So over all I think they are doing a decent job.
The guy playing the character Jesus, I think, is the best portrayal I've ever seen. Has humor, down to earth, compassionate, loves unconditionally, no pride, etc.
Agreed. Not perfect, but close enough to help people seek after Christ and to help Christians get their heart fired up to follow Him.
I think the good it does, likely outweighs the flaws and errors.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:08 pm This series casts a huge net. Many people become believers who then start to open their Bibles. Watch the first minute or two of this video:
For those who haven't yet watched the above video. I've read and listened to a lot of stories like hers. Most of us here probably don't speak to strangers often about Jesus Christ or the gospel, but this series is reaching countless people of other religions in many countries and I've read stories by atheists and people who don't care about religion but still find value in watching the stories in this series. I don't know if it's possible to write a series that's 100% accurate unless you watch one of those Youtube productions that has actors simply repeat the scriptures verbatim. I've seen people's lives change who come to Christ because of this series. And that's huge.