Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
An Eye Single
captain of 100

Re: Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

Post by An Eye Single »

We had a stake conference in our area almost two years ago in which the members were blamed for low membership retention. It was notable to me because the leadership finally admitted that members were leaving the church at a significant rate—something that, up to that point and to my knowledge, they weren’t admitting publicly.

It was actually very sad to listen to. The leadership was completely oblivious to the fact that the reason why people are leaving the church is because they are being fed lies when they are starving for truth on a very basic gospel level.

I wrote up a blogpost with more specifics:

https://thewordofthelorduntome.blogspo ... e.html?m=0

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

Post by Thinker »

anonymous91 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:03 am Apparently, the Church loves "extroverts" more than "introverts". ;)
True! :)

This also reminds me of the lack of psychological awareness - lack of empathy for different ways of thinking etc.

AND… of the course the double standard. They want “every member to be a missionary” but as soon as members begin to realize truths they don’t like, they punish that type of “missionary work.”

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am After support for the federal gay marriage law, good luck trying to convert any Christian with their head screwed on straight.... no pun intended.
You’re way over estimating what people are aware of. Outside of these forums almost no one knows or cares about the federal marriage bill let alone which groups opposed or promoted it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

gkearney wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:18 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am After support for the federal gay marriage law, good luck trying to convert any Christian with their head screwed on straight.... no pun intended.
You’re way over estimating what people are aware of. Outside of these forums almost no one knows or cares about the federal marriage bill let alone which groups opposed or promoted it.
Which says a lot about the general membership of the church and society at large, IMO.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

What you say may be true for the Mormon community, but I think the evangelicals will know the church supported it. Probably got included in their anti-mormon packet.

On my mission (ages ago) the evangelicals we're constantly telling me things about the LDS church that were new to me, but turned out to be mostly true about LDS business, banking, investments and other things.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

What really makes things rough is the Lds claim to a modern prophet, but nobody outside Mormon land sees anything he does as being prophetic. What the LDS prophet does isn't a match to their biblical reference of what a prophet does.

Makes it harder when the company line says the prophet talks with Jesus daily, is Moses, and can see around corners. Other christians say great, what is Jesus saying, and where are your Moses miracles, or what are your predictions.

Tough for 19 yr olds to overcome that.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Don't you find it interesting that members of LDSFF are more aware than the average member of the church?
Not only more aware of what is happening in the world, but also more scripturally literate.

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

tribrac wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:08 pm What really makes things rough is the Lds claim to a modern prophet, but nobody outside Mormon land sees anything he does as being prophetic. What the LDS prophet does isn't a match to their biblical reference of what a prophet does.

Makes it harder when the company line says the prophet talks with Jesus daily, is Moses, and can see around corners. Other christians say great, what is Jesus saying, and where are your Moses miracles, or what are your predictions.

I was thinking specifically about just the news coming out that the church is supposedly the richest in the world. Asking someone to donate 10% of their income to the richest church has now become a harder sell.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Pahoran wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:12 pm
tribrac wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:08 pm What really makes things rough is the Lds claim to a modern prophet, but nobody outside Mormon land sees anything he does as being prophetic. What the LDS prophet does isn't a match to their biblical reference of what a prophet does.

I was thinking specifically about just the news coming out that the church is supposedly the richest in the world. Asking someone to donate 10% of their income to the richest church has now become a harder sell.
At the 36:30 mark Bednar says the church doesn’t need your tithing, but that you need the blessings… SMH. Compare the quote from Joseph F. Smith just before that in the video to see the glaring hypocrisy.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

tribrac wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:01 pm
What you say may be true for the Mormon community, but I think the evangelicals will know the church supported it. Probably got included in their anti-mormon packet.

On my mission (ages ago) the evangelicals we're constantly telling me things about the LDS church that were new to me, but turned out to be mostly true about LDS business, banking, investments and other things.

that's absolutely true!

the day that PR release came out, there where several channels that I follow on Telegram, linking the article and making comments like.......well, what else do u expect from a Satanic Cult......and the like

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I don't think I can think of a stake conference where the subject has been anything other than missionary work.

I know in the Book of Mormon there was a time, about 23 years before Jesus was born; where the government was overrun by the Gadiantons. The Lamanites were immune to them because they "hunted" them down! And then, did they cut their heads off? NO! They preached to them the word of God!!!! No one can stand against that, not even the most wicked men!

But what did the Nephites do? Well, they invested in the local Gadianton Robber stock market! Not my words!!!!

Helaman ch 6:

37 And it came to pass that the Lamanites did hunt the band of robbers of Gadianton; and they did preach the word of God among the more wicked part of them, insomuch that this band of robbers was utterly destroyed from among the Lamanites.

38 And it came to pass on the other hand, that the Nephites did build them up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them, until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their secret murders and combinations.

39 And thus they did obtain the sole management of the government, insomuch that they did trample under their feet and smite and rend and turn their backs upon the poor and the meek, and the humble followers of God.

40 And thus we see that they were in an awful state, and ripening for an everlasting destruction.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

Are we expecting enough from the missionaries? Has going on a mission, become another box to check?

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I'll be a better missionary when they're better prophets, seers and revelators :p
pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:59 pm Are we expecting enough from the missionaries? Has going on a mission, become another box to check?
You can't be nourished by empty food. Why has missionary work stalled and never really taken Mormonism to grand heights even in better social climates in previous decades? Because we've always been dealing with a story that's less than the honest to God truth (the LDS church's take on the events surrounding Joseph) and what light it may have had at one point seems to have diminished as time has gone by. Just my assessment. And I would agree that going on a mission has become another box to check.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Niemand wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:31 am
nightlight wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:13 pm An organization can't give out literature that is so blatantly contrary to their every day conduct and expect a surge in adult missionary work from it's lay members

"Hey! I'm a member of COJCOLDS.....here is a book that teaches our land is the Promise Land, that it's a land of Liberty...even ZION!!!!
It is also a book warning our country about the inevitable conspiracies and secret societies who will try to take our liberty and harm us. But don't forget to follow the prophet!"
They don't even hand out the Book of Mormon anymore, they just give you a QR code to scan.

…!!?!!…

Are you kidding me..???!!

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

People I live next to, neighbors. Good solid non members… and I’m going to sic a couple of wet behind the ear lackadaisical kid missionaries on them..?? And they present a QR code for the Book of Mormon..??!?

What every happened to “teach, then testify..” like when I was converted, and later when I went on a mission..??

Back then, we were baptizing 400 a month mission wide.

Now the program is social media contacting, and QR codes..??!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JK4Woods wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:33 pm
Niemand wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:31 am They don't even hand out the Book of Mormon anymore, they just give you a QR code to scan.
…!!?!!…

Are you kidding me..???!!
They used to hand out copies of the Book of Mormon all the time. Nowadays you're likely to get a passalong card or a URL. If you get a passalong card it will have the Mark of the Beast a QR code on it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Wolfwoman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:09 pm We had stake conference this past Sunday and there was a push to do more missionary work. I wouldn’t say it was harsh or a call to repentance. It was said in love - truly. But yes, we were asked to do as much sharing the gospel as we have been doing temple and family history work (we do a lot of that in our stake).
Too bad they’re pushing a corrupted corpse and don’t even know it.

But it’s beginning to stink. :?

Really a lot.

0A0

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Fred wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:10 pm
Don't you find it interesting that members of LDSFF are more aware than the average member of the church?
Not only more aware of what is happening in the world, but also more scripturally literate.
Same reason informed democrats become x-democrats.