psychology of group behavior

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: psychology of group behavior

Post by mudflap »

“Totalitarianism can be imposed on any society if the government, or whatever structure rules it, controls the essential elements of power (i.e., the military, the police, the media, the culture industry, etc.). Once the transition to totalitarianism begins, you can count on roughly two thirds of the society either embracing it or acquiescing to it, not because they are in some vulnerable psychological state, but rather because they correctly perceive which way the wind is blowing and they don’t want to challenge the totalitarian regime and be punished for doing so. They are not hypnotized or under any other kind of spell. It’s pure survival instinct.” --C.J. Hopkins
https://margaretannaalice.substack.com/ ... cj-hopkins

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Excellent video on this exact topic:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/f0MgKF6ySdyN/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Gaslighting all the way:
In order to effectively gaslight someone, you have be in a position of authority or wield some other form of power over them.

They have to need something vital from you (i.e., sustenance, safety, financial security, community, career advancement, or just love). You can’t walk up to some random stranger on the street and start gaslighting them. They will laugh in your face.

The reason the New Normal authorities have been able to gaslight the masses so effectively is that most of the masses do need something from them … a job, food, shelter, money, security, status, their friends, a relationship, or whatever it is they’re not willing to risk by challenging those in power and their lies. Gaslighters, cultists, and power freaks, generally, know this. It is what they depend on, your unwillingness to live without whatever it is. They zero in on it and threaten you with the loss of it (sometimes consciously, sometimes just intuitively). https://consentfactory.org/2022/10/16/t ... he-masses/
And the article doesn't say it, but when using gaslighting long-term - you never admit mistakes - you just start the next lie.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

mudflap wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:32 am Gaslighting all the way:
In order to effectively gaslight someone, you have be in a position of authority or wield some other form of power over them.

They have to need something vital from you (i.e., sustenance, safety, financial security, community, career advancement, or just love). You can’t walk up to some random stranger on the street and start gaslighting them. They will laugh in your face.

The reason the New Normal authorities have been able to gaslight the masses so effectively is that most of the masses do need something from them … a job, food, shelter, money, security, status, their friends, a relationship, or whatever it is they’re not willing to risk by challenging those in power and their lies. Gaslighters, cultists, and power freaks, generally, know this. It is what they depend on, your unwillingness to live without whatever it is. They zero in on it and threaten you with the loss of it (sometimes consciously, sometimes just intuitively). https://consentfactory.org/2022/10/16/t ... he-masses/
And the article doesn't say it, but when using gaslighting long-term - you never admit mistakes - you just start the next lie.
True!
Gaslighters main goal is to make their targets question themselves. So gaslighters will keep puffing themselves up as if it couldn’t possibly ever be their problem. Even right after gaslighters commit an immoral act, they will twist it to blame others, or to make others who see it, out to seem crazy for daring to call out immorality.

It is evil in 2 main ways:
1) lying
2) shifting blame so others pay instead of them

And to combat it we need to:
1) Discern truth from error &
2) Discern good from evil & defend good

Those are not easy when there is a massive herd of people pressuring or gaslighting us…

“When the whole world is running headlong towards the precipice, one who walks in the opposite direction is looked at as being crazy.” -T. S. Eliot

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Thinker wrote: November 18th, 2022, 8:04 am
mudflap wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:32 am Gaslighting all the way:

True!
Gaslighters main goal is to make their targets question themselves. So gaslighters will keep puffing themselves up as if it couldn’t possibly ever be their problem. Even right after gaslighters commit an immoral act, they will twist it to blame others, or to make others who see it, out to seem crazy for daring to call out immorality.

It is evil in 2 main ways:
1) lying
2) shifting blame so others pay instead of them

And to combat it we need to:
1) Discern truth from error &
2) Discern good from evil & defend good

Those are not easy when there is a massive herd of people pressuring or gaslighting us…

“When the whole world is running headlong towards the precipice, one who walks in the opposite direction is looked at as being crazy.” -T. S. Eliot
When the vaxx hysteria was at its apex, my husband and I discussed our options. How we would navigate should he lose his social security. (not a huge sum but it does help) What if the Government stopped medicare for those who were not vaxxed? Parkinson's meds are not cheap...

He said he would do without. It is an unsettling scenario, that I pray we are not forced to endure.

My D-I-L got the vax to continue working in the ER. However, my co-worker's sister took a job at a hospital out of state so that she would not be forced to take the jab.

... and there is the issue of all of our members of the military.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:28 am
“Totalitarianism can be imposed on any society if the government, or whatever structure rules it, controls the essential elements of power (i.e., the military, the police, the media, the culture industry, etc.). Once the transition to totalitarianism begins, you can count on roughly two thirds of the society either embracing it or acquiescing to it, not because they are in some vulnerable psychological state, but rather because they correctly perceive which way the wind is blowing and they don’t want to challenge the totalitarian regime and be punished for doing so. They are not hypnotized or under any other kind of spell. It’s pure survival instinct.” --C.J. Hopkins
I think we've talked about this before in other threads. Just illustrates to me how wedded people are to their information sources.

I agree with Hopkins up to his "or acquiescing to it" in his 2nd sentence. Otherwise, too simplistic. People can acquiesce to a totalitarian regime for many other reasons other than just to "go along to get along". The regime itself, can use any number of fears, prejudices, ideological reasons, etc., etc., to prod people into acquiescing to their control.

A mass formation is not "some vulnerable state" or being "hypnotized or under . . . a spell", it is simply the end result of a mass of people who have allowed themselves to be seriously swayed by, or brought into compliance with, a particular idea or set of ideas . The scary thing about it, is how deeply ingrained this propensity or weakness to succumb to these influences seems to be in the human family. And they are largely fear-based, with a large component of group compliance and group-think driving them.

What Hopkins is talking about are large groups of people complying with a control group directly out of fear. They don't need to succumb to any ideas supporting the group. Very understandable, but too simplistic in the present day. This was probably more true under the dictatorships in ancient Greece, Rome and elsewhere, that were not ideologically driven, but driven just by power, force and control.

And there is nothing that would disallow people actually caught up in a 'mass formation' to co-exist with those who are not, but are simply "going along to get along".

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

larsenb wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:48 pm
I think we've talked about this before in other threads. Just illustrates to me how wedded people are to their information sources.

I agree with Hopkins up to his "or acquiescing to it" in his 2nd sentence. Otherwise, too simplistic. People can acquiesce to a totalitarian regime for many other reasons other than just to "go along to get along". The regime itself, can use any number of fears, prejudices, ideological reasons, etc., etc., to prod people into acquiescing to their control.

A mass formation is not "some vulnerable state" or being "hypnotized or under . . . a spell", it is simply the end result of a mass of people who have allowed themselves to be seriously swayed by, or brought into compliance with, a particular idea or set of ideas . The scary thing about it, is how deeply ingrained this propensity or weakness to succumb to these influences seems to be in the human family. And they are largely fear-based, with a large component of group compliance and group-think driving them.

What Hopkins is talking about are large groups of people complying with a control group directly out of fear. They don't need to succumb to any ideas supporting the group. Very understandable, but too simplistic in the present day. This was probably more true under the dictatorships in ancient Greece, Rome and elsewhere, that were not ideologically driven, but driven just by power, force and control.

And there is nothing that would disallow people actually caught up in a 'mass formation' to co-exist with those who are not, but are simply "going along to get along".
I don't know - I really don't think people have changed much in 2,000 years - I get the impression our modern society isn't any smarter than any other society. We pay taxes the same as the Romans did - under threat of imprisonment / death. same with all the other tyrannical threats we face these days. Not much has changed, IMO.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

mudflap wrote: November 18th, 2022, 4:27 pm
larsenb wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:48 pm

I don't know - I really don't think people have changed much in 2,000 years - I get the impression our modern society isn't any smarter than any other society. We pay taxes the same as the Romans did - under threat of imprisonment / death. same with all the other tyrannical threats we face these days. Not much has changed, IMO.
Sure. But for the same token, ancient people could just as easily be caught up in 'mass formations'. An example might be the push for the Athenians to attack Syracuse/Sicily during the end of the Peloponnesian war. More than one orator outlined the logic of the dangers in doing so, but they went ahead anyway, resulting in almost the complete slaughter and annihilation of the Athenian forces, and the near evaporation of Athenian power.

My view is that we are probably more stupid than many ancient societies. I think this is mainly due to the fact that most people are too far removed from the actual gritty labor needed to create their own means to live; and have almost lost a strong sense of higher realms because of material distractions.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

EmmaLee wrote: September 9th, 2022, 3:00 pm
Allison wrote: September 9th, 2022, 2:39 pm
EmmaLee wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:35 am Yes, and don't forget "climate change" (the globalists and their toadies had to ditch their moniker "global warming", as temps in most of the world have been, overall, cooler over the past several years, rather than 'warmer') - which is their excuse to weaponize food, energy, and water. "Climate change" is the new boogey-man to replace their previous boogey-man, "covid", and just as many people, if not more, are falling for that hoax, sadly. Some people truly never learn, and prefer to be led around by the invisible ring through their nose.
I saw a headline on Telegram last night: reporting that climate lockdowns in some European countries are already being imposed, and no kidding…they’re saying it’s ”To Flatten the Curve.”

My husband and I heard that the other day, too - that they are starting "climate lockdowns" in various places (no doubt testing the notion to see how well the sheep obey over something even more silly than 'covid') - and yes! using the same verbiage as covid with the nonsensical "flatten the curve". :lol: But yet there are people who actually believe this crap. There is just no waking some people up - they are too comfortable in their cocoon of fake news. Same agenda - different boogey-man.
It was always going this way. With lockstep media coverage (all reading off the same page better than Oaks and Nelson), anyone paying attention could see it hinted at in every headline about Covid. Even the toilet paper shortages followed by meat by PS5 etc were all designed to extract greater profits while preparing the public for rampant inflation and food scarcity in the years to follow. These shortages in 2020 were largely media driven caused by sensational headlines. People started to fear and they reacted - fulfilling a meaningless "prophecy" that was all dependent on their own overreaction.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/ ... -opinions/ (WEF Mar 8)
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/07/81319153 ... oronavirus (Mar 7)
https://www.foxnews.com/media/why-store ... ilet-paper
https://www.foxnews.com/media/more-meat ... ants-close
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/17/business ... index.html (but dont panic)

During lockdowns we read about how good it was for the planet even when people where prisoners in their own homes and losing their ability to provide for their families

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... nvironment
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... link=image
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7323667/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... dates.html

But don't worry big government will bail you out. And this is exactly how you fatten up hogs until they are ready for slaughter.
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on November 19th, 2022, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

mudflap wrote: September 9th, 2022, 6:15 am
Allison wrote: September 7th, 2022, 3:25 pm
EmmaLee wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:33 pm
Allison wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:04 pm
It seems like we’ve seen a lot of this played out in real life over the past 2.5 years. Is there anything we can deduce from these lessons to help our people to navigate the next psyop more successfully? Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a way to inspire mass non-compliance?

For several months during mid-late 2020, I was going to a physical therapist weekly. I was very often the only person in the whole office not wearing a face diaper. I got some disdaining looks, stares, and such, but nobody ever said anything. And then a glorious thing happened. One day when I walked into the office, smile on my face, several other people (all masked) sitting there waiting, looked at me and took their masks off. It may seem like a little thing, but when I saw them (some gingerly) reach up and pull their masks off, I got tears in my eyes, not even kidding. It made me so happy! I wanted to go around and hug each of them, haha, and tell them, "see, now you go mask-less into the next place, head held high, smile on your face, and let's see what happens."

Anyway, a small thing, and only applied to 1/2 dozen people - but who knows how many it may have affected if those 1/2 dozen, in turn, took their masks off in other places, and people followed their lead, and on and on it goes.
I like to hope to that out of all our non-compliance, maybe we caused a few people to ask themselves exactly why they were doing such a silly thing as wearing a mask. I never saw such a dramatic result as you inspired, so that is beautiful for you.

Mattias Desmet says the only way to prevent a mass formation is to never stop speaking out (against the lie), but that’s not so easy with strangers or even friends or family.

One thing we did discover was the value of t-shirts with a message. The statement is made everywhere you go, and no one can cut you off or silence you. And hopefully some seeds of questioning are planted. My husband works with the public, so he was a Walking billboard with his cheeky shirts. I only wish we could have found more, and especially more shirts that were kind of funny. He has sure gotten a lot of compliments, with increasing frequency over the past year or so.

So…any other ideas? Or does anyone know of a great source for narrative disruptive t-shirts?
Maybe I'm too "black pilled", but I'm starting to think, "this is as good as it gets". Those who are now awake are the only ones that will ever awake. If the election of 2020, or 2012, or 2008, or covid, or the disconnect between "the news" and reality - if any of that hasn't woken folks up, I just don't think they will. "No one is coming to save you", as they say.

Here's a quote from a guy who survived Nazi Germany:
“You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow… But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. . . If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked … But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between comes all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next… And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. . . and you see that everything – everything – has changed…Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed…”
~Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free
This ^ is "human behavior", just like these experiments (the original post in this thread) - this is how people behave. I've heard estimates of the American Revolution - something like 1/3 of the population were patriots, and only about 20,000 were actively involved in fighting against Britain. The rest were either against the revolution, or didn't want to get involved.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer, but also, it doesn't take much to "win"; Captain Moroni understood this:
Alma 60:27 And I will come unto you, and if there be any among you that has a desire for freedom, yea, if there be even a spark of freedom remaining, behold I will stir up insurrections among you, even until those who have desires to usurp power and authority shall become extinct.
28 Yea, behold I do not fear your power nor your authority, but it is my God whom I fear; and it is according to his commandments that I do take my sword to defend the cause of my country, and it is because of your iniquity that we have suffered so much loss.
29 Behold it is time, yea, the time is now at hand, that except ye do bestir yourselves in the defence of your country and your little ones, the sword of justice doth hang over you; yea, and it shall fall upon you and visit you even to your utter destruction.
This is why the Lord is allowing evil to "win" at this time. The elite are destroying the world and gleefully creating the great tribulation of the End Times. The Lord knows some people will not wake up any other way, if at all.

He wants to save everyone. Unfortunately it takes some people literally losing everything to break free from delusion and to finally turn to him. :cry:

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Momma J wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm Covid was a fantastic social experiment. Very few asked questions. They simply got in line
They were following orders. The free donut for the clot shot was simply a bonus.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Group behavior psychology lessons can be found by simply turning on the tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksb3KD6DfSI

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Momma J wrote: November 18th, 2022, 10:55 am When the vaxx hysteria was at its apex, my husband and I discussed our options. How we would navigate should he lose his social security. (not a huge sum but it does help) What if the Government stopped medicare for those who were not vaxxed? Parkinson's meds are not cheap...

He said he would do without. It is an unsettling scenario, that I pray we are not forced to endure.

My D-I-L got the vax to continue working in the ER. However, my co-worker's sister took a job at a hospital out of state so that she would not be forced to take the jab.

... and there is the issue of all of our members of the military.
Tough but good you & your husband are thinking it through together. Bless you both for dealing with Parkinson's.

A sister in our ward is very against all the Covid stuff yet her son joined the military & took the shot. Makes me wonder what are the long term consequences. I know many got saline, but many didn’t.

I feel a bit shell-shocked from psychological warfare - my own family & friends shaming & putting me down in various ways - for not caving to insanely immoral group thought. They took steps toward being like Nazis & I don’t know if I’ll ever recover from that & see them as I did before that.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

They made a movie about Milgram, The Experimenter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VOZhwRvWo

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Zuby has our church pegged exactly right:

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

mudflap wrote: December 27th, 2022, 1:35 pm Zuby has our church pegged exactly right:

Excellent list of sad truths. Truths that are hard to take, so a lot of people simply don’t.

“…Pa wouldn’t do it. I know ‘im. He’d say it was none of his business.’ Yes,” Casey said disconsolately, “I guess that’s right. Have to take a beatin’ 'fore he'll know.” - Steinbeck/Grapes of Wrath

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

mudflap wrote: September 9th, 2022, 8:36 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 9th, 2022, 2:59 pm
mudflap wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm
imagination is more important than intelligence ~ Albert Einstein
Imagination without intelligence is just wishful thinking. :lol:
I don't think so.
It's a false dichotomy. Imagination and intelligence are the same things.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Atrasado wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:24 pm
mudflap wrote: September 9th, 2022, 8:36 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 9th, 2022, 2:59 pm
mudflap wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm
Imagination without intelligence is just wishful thinking. :lol:
I don't think so.
It's a false dichotomy. Imagination and intelligence are the same things.

No.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The use of the phrase "herd immunity" was very telling. It shows how we are viewed.

Humans are not herd animals, but I believe most of us act as if we are.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: January 14th, 2023, 6:23 am The use of the phrase "herd immunity" was very telling. It shows how we are viewed.

Humans are not herd animals, but I believe most of us act as if we are.
“The ‘goyim’ are not humans. They are beasts.” (Baba Mezia 114b/Talmud)

The “mark (or sign) of the beast” - at least spiritually or within - may be herd mentality. I have LOVED several animals practically like family - but I also know that animals by nature are more carnal - they have less cognitive reasoning and more savage instinct. In mobs/groups, people tend to act more insane than they would individually.