An awesome "Mea Culpa" re: covid totalitarianism - MUST READ

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

An awesome "Mea Culpa" re: covid totalitarianism - MUST READ

Post by Original_Intent »

The entire article is excellent reading. We need more of this. Hope the snippets encourage you to read the full article.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/its- ... cost-lives
In no less a liberal rag than Newsweek, Kevin Bass (MS MD/PHD Student, Medical School) has penned a quite surprising (and 'brave') op-ed saying that "it's time for the scientific community to admit we were wrong about COVID and it cost lives..."
I believed that the authorities responded to the largest public health crisis of our lives with compassion, diligence, and scientific expertise. I was with them when they called for lockdowns, vaccines, and boosters.

I was wrong. We in the scientific community were wrong. And it cost lives.
What we did not properly appreciate is that preferences determine how scientific expertise is used, and that our preferences might be—indeed, our preferences were—very different from many of the people that we serve. We created policy based on our preferences, then justified it using data. And then we portrayed those opposing our efforts as misguided, ignorant, selfish, and evil.

We made science a team sport, and in so doing, we made it no longer science. It became us versus them, and "they" responded the only way anyone might expect them to: by resisting.
The active effort to shut down any opposing data is the root crime, though, and no, it can never be forgotten or forgiven.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: An awesome "Mea Culpa" re: covid totalitarianism - MUST READ

Post by Niemand »

I think the scientists themselves need to acknowledge scientific progress only occurs when there is freedom to examine and critique one another's work. If you can't do that, the scientific ideal is effectively dead.