2 Esdras, the BOM, NT and the future of America

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

2 Esdras, the BOM, NT and the future of America

Post by Niemand »

The Triple Headed Eagle prophecy of 2 Esdras
Intro
2 Esdras is in some ways one of the most exciting books of the western Apocrypha. Not only does it appear to be quoted in the New Testament and the Book of Mormon, it discusses the Ten Tribes and it also makes prophecies concerning the end times, possibly including America's presidents! Last night I was listening to a section of it on audiobook, and the thought came to me, "this is scripture." I don't know what to think about the entire book, but what I was listening to certainly gave an impression of prophecy! I certainly have a much better impression of it than 1 Esdras!

The main issue is that 2 Esdras seems to consist of more than one work cobbled together. The other issue is that it is mainly known from not Hebrew, Aramaic or even Greek, but Latin!

Because 2 Esdras is one of the longer books in the Apocrypha, I may be adding to this thread on a regular basis.

Name
This book is that it has several names. "Esdras" is the Greek form of the name "Ezra".
* 2 Esdras or Esdras B
* Latin Esdras or Latin Ezra - Because of the language it is known from.
* 4 Esdras, 4 Ezra (The name used in the Vulgate, the Roman Catholics' Latin Bible) - in this system, Ezra is 1 Ezra and Nehemiah is 2 Ezra etc.

Some Highlights
* Jesus' second coming and Ten Lost Tribes: 2 Esdras 13
* Possible answers about the Pre-Existence: 2 Esdras 9:18-24
* The "Ezra's Eagle" prophecy, possibly about US presidents:
A long thread here: viewtopic.php?t=45489
* Which church should you follow? 2 Esdras 7:6-10
viewtopic.php?p=1315521&hilit=Esdras#p1315521
Peeps wrote: October 26th, 2022, 11:12 pm Following Christ can be a lonely trek, because the way is narrow. Most of the churches are on broad paths that leads to destruction.

2 Esdras 7
6 There is also another thing; A city is builded, and set upon a broad field, and is full of all good things: (like Zion or the New Jerusalem)

7 The entrance thereof is narrow, and is set in a dangerous place to fall, like as if there were a fire on the right hand, and on the left a deep water:

8 And one only path between them both, even between the fire and the water, so small that there could but one man go there at once.

9 If this city now were given unto a man for an inheritance, if he never shall pass the danger set before it, how shall he receive this inheritance?

10 And I said, It is so, Lord. Then said he unto me, Even so also is Israel's portion.
* The One Mighty and Strong? : 2 Esdras 12:31-33
Last edited by Niemand on January 23rd, 2023, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: 2 Esdras, the BOM, NT and future of America

Post by Niemand »

2 Esdras quoted in the New Testament and Book of Mormon.
2 Esdras 1:30
“I gathered you together, as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings: but now, what shall I do unto you? I will cast you out from my face.”
Matthew 23:37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.
3 Nephi 10: O ye people of these agreat cities which have fallen, who are descendants of Jacob, yea, who are of the house of Israel, how oft have I gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and have nourished you.

And again, ahow oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, yea, O ye people of the house of Israel, who have fallen; yea, O ye people of the house of Israel, ye that dwell at Jerusalem, as ye that have fallen; yea, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens, and ye would not.

O ye house of Israel whom I have spared, how oft will I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, if ye will repent and return unto me with full purpose of cheart.

But if not, O house of Israel, the places of your dwellings shall become desolate until the time of the fulfilling of the covenant to your fathers.
Other posts by me about the Apocrypha
This is an ongoing series about the Roman and Orthodox Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical book.

1 Esdras
viewtopic.php?t=69352

1 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69454

2 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1347024

Additions to Esther
viewtopic.php?t=69333

Tobit
viewtopic.php?p=1341501#p1341501

Prayer of Azarias (Azariah) and Hymn of the Three Children
viewtopic.php?t=69264

Bel and the Dragon (quoted in full, KJV)
viewtopic.php?t=69261

Book of Susanna
viewtopic.php?t=69386

Book of Judith
viewtopic.php?t=69402

Wisdom of Solomon
viewtopic.php?t=69469

The Book of Sirach, Ecclesiasticus, the NT, the BOM and the other Jesus
viewtopic.php?t=69412

Book of Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremy/Jeremiah
viewtopic.php?p=1346145

Prayer of Mannases (aka Mannaseh; quoted in full KJV)
viewtopic.php?t=69263

Psalm 151 (Eastern Orthodox Apocrypha, quoted in full from NRSV)
viewtopic.php?t=63875

Epistle to the Laodiceans (NT, quoted in full Wycliffe's translation, )
viewtopic.php?t=64025&p=1208281

The Book of Odes - this is an Eastern Orthodox work of limited interest, but included for the sake of completeness.
viewtopic.php?t=69470

Additional note regarding the KJV 2 Esdras
Attachments
Screenshot_20230123-114112_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230123-114112_YouTube.jpg (94.68 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Last edited by Niemand on January 29th, 2023, 9:08 am, edited 8 times in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: 2 Esdras, the BOM, NT and future of America

Post by Niemand »

The LDS Bible dictionary mentions a late origin for the book but does suggest it is relevant
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... a?lang=eng
The Second Book of Esdras. Contains seven visions or revelations made to Ezra, who is represented as grieving over the afflictions of his people and perplexed at the triumph of gentile sinners. The book is marked by a tone of deep melancholy. The only note of consolation is presented in the thought of the retribution that is to fall upon the heads of the Gentiles who have crushed the Jews. The references to the Messiah (7:28–29; 12:32; 13:32, 37, 52) deserve special notice. Many scholars feel the book was composed in the 1st century A.D.
Other issues with the date
https://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html
Second Esdras was written too late to be included in the Septuagint and, therefore, does not appear within the more prominent canon (Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox). Second Esdras is also known by many other names, making it difficult to track fully. For example, 2 Esdras contains portions known in some circles as 3 Ezra, 4 Ezra, 5 Ezra, and 6 Ezra. The Ethiopian Church considers 4 Ezra to be canonical, whereas the Eastern Armenian Church labels it as 3 Ezra. Further, some scholars believe these books were written by several authors, including some possibly as late as the second century AD.

Second Esdras is often referred to as the Jewish Apocalypse of Ezra and contains seven visions of Ezra dealing with his angst over the pain and suffering inflicted upon Jews by Gentiles. Some scholars believe the book was written shortly after the AD 70 destruction of the temple in Jerusalem during the reign of Emperor Domitian (AD 81—96). While there is a definite tone of sadness in this work, there is consolation regarding ultimate retribution. There are six Messianic references within 2 Esdras.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/ ... ond-Esdras
Second Esdras
ESDRAS, SECOND (2) (see previous article for pronunciation and root words). The title comes from the Geneva Bible; in the Vul. it is called 4 Esdras. Sometimes called the “Ezra Apocalypse” (due to the character of chs. 3-14). Many writers regard chs. 1, 2 and 15, 16 to be Christian interpolations and give them the names 5 Ezra and 6 Ezra, respectively (e.g., Eissfeldt). See below under Date.
1. Literary character. While set in a Pers. situation (1:1-3), where the prophet Ezra received divine communication during the reign of Artaxerxes, the book is mainly apocalyptic, that is, a revelatory work on the order of Daniel 7-12. It is made up of seven visions (2 Esd 3:1-5:20; 5:21-6:34; 6:35-9:25; 9:26-10:59; 11:1-12:51; 13:1-58; 14:1-48) containing judgment against “Babylon” (Rome).
In words reminiscent of the prophet Habakkuk, the writer of 2 Esdras wrestled with the problem of evil: “How long and when will these things be? Why are our years few and evil?” (2 Esd 4:33; see also 6:59; cf. Hab. 1:2). Even when his angelic informant explained (2 Esd 4:10, 11), Ezra showed his bewilderment (4:12)
Much of the message is conveyed by symbolism. Outstanding are the fifth and sixth visions where (1) an eagle with twelve wings and three heads was encountered by a lion (11:1, 37) and (2) a man-like figure who rose from the sea and flew with the clouds of heaven was opposed by an innumerable multitude of men (13:3, 5).
The Encyclopedia of the Bible is not flattering on the issue of the age of the text. In my opinion this tells us that there may be more than one author and the pieces may be of differing value but my personal impression is that genuine prophetic content can be found in this book. A mainstream Bible scholar would not countenance this idea of course, and so if there is a prophecy about something which comes to pass they will say it took place after the event. One of the things that they can't stomach is the idea that Jesus would be discussed before the NT period. In certain scriptures such as Isaiah they can't write this off. They can and will with 2 Esdras.
There is fairly general agreement that chs. 3-14 were composed near the end of the 1st cent. a.d., and that chs. 1, 2 and 15, 16 were added during the next cent. or two. What follows is a representative view, indicating the position of scholars as Oesterley, Metzger, Eissfeldt and others: chs. 1, 2, about a.d. 150; chs. 3-10, about a.d. 100; chs. 11, 12, about a.d. 69-96; ch. 13, about a.d. 66; ch. 14, about a.d. 100-120; and chs. 15, 16, between a.d. 240-270.
In mainstream academia, the eagle symbol is clearly seen as referring to Rome rather than the USA.
Probably the main reasons for rejecting the Pers. setting and placing the book in the Christian era are (1) the interpretation of the eagle vision (11:1-12:51) as a symbol of the Rom. empire (during the time of Vespasian, Titus and Domitian); and (2) the anti-Jewish or Christian character of much of the material in chs. 1, 2 (e.g., affinities to the gospels and the NT Apocalypse, and the anti-Jewish sentiments found in 1:24-27, 30-32, 33-35; 2:7).
Unfortunately works that can be firmly ascribed to the Old Testament contain "anti-Jewish sentiments". Wasn't Moses critical of the apostasy of the calf worshippers? Didn't Old Testament prophets compare the Hebrew nation to whores and worse?
(9) 15:1-16:78. This final section, added in the 3rd cent. a.d., consists mainly of warnings of divine judgments against the nations. Egypt, Arabia, Parthia (Carmania), Babylon, Asia and Syria are mentioned by name. God’s elect shall be delivered from the days of tribulation.
I don't agree with all this. Nonetheless in the interests of balance, I quote it here. I doubt these scholars would ever return the favour! 😉

It goes on to give a more useful summary of the contents.

... there are nine parts in the book, made up of an introduction and conclusion with seven visions:

(1) 1:1-2:48. The genealogy of Ezra and the record of the commands he received from the Lord to deliver the people of Israel (notice 1:4; 2:33, 42).

(2) 3:1-5:20. At Babylon, thirty years after the fall of Jerusalem, Ezra saw the contrast between the destruction of his city and the affluence of Babylon. He was perplexed over the seeming injustice, but was assured that God would solve the problem justly.

(3) 5:21-6:34. Seven days later he received a vision concerning the scattering of Israel among the nations (“O Lord, why hast thou...scattered thine only one among the many?”). Much of the discussion sounds similar to the Book of Job, and the solution to the problem seems to echo the Book of Revelation (on the former, see 5:35-55; on the latter, 6:17-24).

(4) 6:35-9:25. This is the longest of the visions. Eight days after the previous vision he spoke “in the presence of the Most High.” Perplexity over the contrast between the many who will perish and the few who will be saved dominates this section. The judgment of mankind is vividly described. (Verses 36-105, appearing in brackets, are found in many ancient MSS but are missing from the Lat. Vul. and the KJV. It is the opinion of some that theological reasons were involved in the latter, for these vv. strongly prohibit prayer for the dead, e.g., v. 105.)

(5) 9:26-10:59. Ezra saw a woman mourning because her son had died. Then he saw a city of huge foundations. The vision was explained as follows: the woman was the heavenly Zion (10:44; cf. Rev. 21:9, 10); her son was the earthly city (10:46); and his death was the destruction which befell Jerusalem (10:48).

(6) 11:1-12:51. An eagle, having twelve wings and three heads, arose from the sea. He reigned over the earth, but was soon countered by a lion who uttered the words of the Most High against him. The interpretation identified the eagle as the fourth kingdom of Daniel’s vision, and the lion as the Messiah who shall destroy the enemies of the Lord.

(7) 13:1-58. Seven days later Ezra saw “something like the figure of a man” arising from a stormy sea, and the man “flew with the clouds of heaven,” language similar to Daniel 7:13. Opposed by a great multitude, the man sent forth fire from his mouth and burned them all up. The man was the Son of the Most High (13:32) who shall destroy the wicked and gather the people of Israel from their dispersion.

Theology. Second Esdras shares in common with other Jewish apocalypses a concern for the future. This concern is backed by a variety of affirmations about God and man, and by an expectation of the appearance of the Messiah (or, a Messiah) and the kingdom of God, along with a variety of beliefs about resurrection and judgment. Some of these conceptions in this book are the following:

(1) God. The favorite title is “the Most High” (at least sixty-eight times, RSV text), followed by “Lord” (at least sixty, RSV). There are various combinations, in addition, such as “Lord God” (4), “the Lord Almighty” (6) and “the Mighty One” (5). The name God occurs some twenty-one times.

One interesting variant may be noted. “Most High” does not occur in chs. 1, 2, 15 or 16, the “interpolated” sections of the book. On the other hand, the title “Lord” (and its combinations) is found many times (at least forty-three out of seventy) in these same chapters.

(2) Man. God allowed the nations to exercise free will unhindered (2 Esd 3:8). Man’s ungodly nature showed itself because of his evil heart (3:20). Adam’s sin resulted in a permanent moral disease, the good departing and the evil remaining (3:22). The idea of original sin showed itself in Adam (4:30). See 4:33, 38, 39; 7:22-25; 7:46-48

Human understanding is limited (4:1, 2), and man cannot understand God’s ways (4:11). When he is questioned he is unable to fathom the depths (4:1-12; 5:33-40).

(3) Resurrection and judgment. There is strong affirmation of a resurrection of the body at the end time (2:16; 7:32). The new age will soon dawn, after evil has been punished (4:26-32). The day of judgment is like a time of threshing (4:30). No one knows when this time will come (4:51, 52), but God has already determined the length of the age (4:36, 37; cf. Sir 36:8), and has prepared the judgment (7:70).

(4) Messiah. He is God’s son who shall reign for 400 years, then die (7:28, 29). He appears as a lion who shall destroy the wicked nations (12:31, 32), and as a man arising from the sea and flying with the clouds of heaven (13:3, 25, 26). Once again he is declared to be God’s Son (13:32, 37, 52), and shall stand victoriously on Mount Zion (13:35-38).

(5) Kingdom. There is to be a temporary earthly kingdom (7:26-44), preceded by certain sings (6:20-24). A city shall be established (8:52; 10:27, 41-44), the heavenly Zion. After 400 years, this kingdom shall end (7:28, 29). Then comes the new age, characterized by resurrection, judgment and “the paradise of delight” (7:31, 32, 36).

Maroriginal1
captain of 100

Re: 2 Esdras, the BOM, NT and the future of America

Post by Maroriginal1 »

Good insight. I just picked up the KJV apocrypha and read through Esdras. What stood out to me is his fascination, curiosity, and concern over the last days. He’s shown these progressive visions as his desire to learn more grows, building up to the eagle prophecy. It’s unfortunate this isn’t standardized cannon. I found it helped me to understand John and Daniels accounts better. They are all witnesses to the same prophesy. I believe it’s a lead up to fall if the United States to the beast of secret combinations.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Maroriginal1 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:43 am Good insight. I just picked up the KJV apocrypha and read through Esdras. What stood out to me is his fascination, curiosity, and concern over the last days. He’s shown these progressive visions as his desire to learn more grows, building up to the eagle prophecy. It’s unfortunate this isn’t standardized cannon. I found it helped me to understand John and Daniels accounts better. They are all witnesses to the same prophesy. I believe it’s a lead up to fall if the United States to the beast of secret combinations.
I think the possible composite nature and the dating is the main issue.

However listening to it last night, I was prompted that the early part I was listening to at least, was scripture. I haven't had quite the same impression about other bits of the Apocrypha... including 1 Esdras included, which is claimed to be by the same author. I have seen value in some other bits of the Apocrypha.

2 Esdras is a book I'm going to be returning to in greater depth. I first read it many years ago. I need to again.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

2 Esdras (KJV) audiobook - 2 hours 25 minutes

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

Thanks for these posts on non-canonical works. More of our brothers and sisters should delve into the past, and look to the future.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

moving2zion wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:49 am Thanks for these posts on non-canonical works. More of our brothers and sisters should delve into the past, and look to the future.
Thank you. Much appreciated. 2 Esdras is definitely one of the better ones. Some are not so good, so I advise discernment with them. I will post on them for the sake of completeness and include some comments. I need more of an LDS angle on some of them.

I should be finished with reviewing the Western Apocrypha (as found in KJV and Catholic Bibles) within a week or two. Probably then to the Eastern Orthodox one. I know only little about the Ethiopian Bible so if and when I do that it will be an education for me too. (Putting all the links on each is part of the search algorithm so that I can find them in the archive more easily.)

I doubt I'm going to be able to get through most of the known Pseudepigrapha (i.e. books not found in any Bible) but I'll attempt a few. Some of those are only known from a few verses.

If you've any thoughts or experiences with these books I'd be interested to hear them. Or even if you think they contain false doctrine!

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Niemand wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:58 am The Triple Headed Eagle prophecy of 2 Esdras
Intro
Not only does it appear to be quoted in the New Testament and the Book of Mormon...
Are the quotes in the New Testament and Book of Mormon verbatim quotes or are they general ideas that are the same? I'd love to know which scriptures in the New Testament and Book of Mormon have Ezra's exact wording if the quotes are verbatim. Thanks.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

GeeR wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Niemand wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:58 am The Triple Headed Eagle prophecy of 2 Esdras
Intro
Not only does it appear to be quoted in the New Testament and the Book of Mormon...
Are the quotes in the New Testament and Book of Mormon verbatim quotes or are they general ideas that are the same? I'd love to know which scriptures in the New Testament and Book of Mormon have Ezra's exact wording if the quotes are verbatim. Thanks.
There seems to be both going on, but there is a language issue:

* 2 Esdras is known from Latin
* The Gospels from Greek.
* The BoM from English

2 Esdras was probably written originally in Hebrew which puts it two removes away in English translation. (There is a Syriac version)

Jesus would have been quoting in Hebrew (maybe Aramaic), but we have the Greek.

The BoM's Reformed Egyptian is not accessible.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Niemand wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:20 pm
GeeR wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Intro
There seems to be both going on, but there is a language issue:

* 2 Esdras is known from Latin
* The Gospels from Greek.
* The BoM from English

2 Esdras was probably written originally in Hebrew which puts it two removes away in English translation. (There is a Syriac version)

Jesus would have been quoting in Hebrew (maybe Aramaic), but we have the Greek.

The BoM's Reformed Egyptian is not accessible.
Of course, I should have known better but good answer.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

https://rsc.byu.edu/apocryphal-writings ... day-saints

Orson Pratt discusses 2 Esdras:
"Esdras informs us in the Apocrypha that he was inspired of God to write a great number of the books of the Old Testament Scriptures, so that the Jewish people might again be in possession of them. But how are this generation to know whether Esdras was a true Prophet or not? How are they to know that he was actually inspired of God to perform so great a work? It seems that the learned have no confidence in him, or they would not have placed his books among the Apocryphal writings as being doubtful. But soon after the days of Esdras the sacred books again perished. How did the Jews again obtain copies? None of the learned can answer this question." [15]
Elder Pratt had previously stated: “It is believed by the learned that the Old Testament scriptures were all destroyed by the Assyrians nearly six hundred years before Christ. The Apocrypha informs us that Esdras was inspired to rewrite them.”

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha
3 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69496

4 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1348046

Outside the Western and Eastern Orthodox Canon...

The Ethiopian canon. This includes brief info on the books of Sinodos, Ethiopian Clement, Ethiopian Covenant, and Didascalia as well as a list of other works in the canon.
viewtopic.php?t=69540

The Book of Enoch
viewtopic.php?t=69577

The Book of Jubilees aka Leptogenesis or Little Genesis
viewtopic.php?p=1348962

3 Corinthians
viewtopic.php?t=69567
Last edited by Niemand on February 5th, 2023, 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Ancient Rome.

Meet New Rome.

https://archive.org/details/newrome00poes/mode/1up

Sir H

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

HVDC wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:59 am Ancient Rome.

Meet New Rome.

https://archive.org/details/newrome00poes/mode/1up

Sir H
Thank you for this link. I may get a look at the book sometime.

There are several states which have modelled themselves heavily on Rome:
* Napoleonic France.
* Russia.
* Britain in imperial times.
* The USA.
* Nazi Germany.

All of these have played a huge part in recent world history and are/were world powers. We could add Fascist Italy as well, but it was less powerful. The Roman Church is more important. Three of these – Russia, USA and Germany all have used the eagle. It is clear that the time of Britain, Germany, France and Italy is largely past. Russia may make a come back. But the USA is the outstanding example in terms of power, and has powers even the British Empire never had. I think the USA is heading the way of France and Britain, and may even collapse as quickly as Russia (TWICE – in 1917 & 1991)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

2 Esdras and Lost Tribe Lore
viewtopic.php?p=33362
truthseeker wrote: July 15th, 2008, 12:14 amD&C 133:26–34. What Do the Saints Know about the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel? Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote:
“When Shalmanezer overran the Kingdom of Israel (about 721 B.C.), he carried the Ten Tribes comprising that kingdom captive into Assyria. From thence they were led into the lands of the north and have been called the Lost Tribes because they are lost to the knowledge of other people. (1 Ne. 22:4.) ‘We have no knowledge of the location or condition of that part of the Ten Tribes who went into the north country.’ (Compendium. p. 88.)
“Esdras, an apocryphal writer, records this version of their escape from Assyria: ‘Those are the ten tribes, which were carried away prisoners out of their own land in the time of Osea the king, whom Salmanasar the king of Assyria led away captive, and he carried them over the waters, and so came they into another land. But they took this counsel among themselves, that they would leave the multitude of the heathen, and go forth into a further country, where never mankind dwelt, That they might there keep their statutes, which they never kept in their own land. And they entered into Euphrates by the narrow passage of the river. For the most High then shewed signs for them, and held still the flood, till they were passed over. For through that country there was a great way to go, namely, of a year and a half: and the same region is called Arsareth. Then dwelt they there until the latter times; and now when they shall begin to come, The Highest shall stay the stream again, that they may go through.’ (Apocrypha, 2 Esdras 13:40–47.)
“Commenting on this, Elder George Reynolds has written: . . .

“‘Is it altogether improbable that in that long journey of one and a half years, as Esdras states it, from Media the land of their captivity to the frozen north, some of the backsliding Israel rebelled, turned aside from the main body, forgot their God, by and by mingled with the Gentiles and became the leaven to leaven with the promised seed all the nations of the earth? The account given in the Book of Mormon of a single family of this same house, its waywardness, its stiffneckedness before God, its internal quarrels and family feuds are, we fear, an example on a small scale of what most probably happened in the vast bodies of Israelites who for so many months wended their tedious way northward. . . .’ (Are We of Israel, pp. 10–11.)

“The Lost Tribes are not lost unto the Lord. In their northward journeyings they were led by prophets and inspired leaders. They had their Moses and their Lehi, were guided by the spirit of revelation, kept the law of Moses, and carried with them the statutes and judgments which the Lord had given them in ages past. They were still a distinct people many hundreds of years later, for the resurrected Lord visited and ministered among them following his ministry on this continent among the Nephites. (3 Ne. 16:1–4; 17:4.) Obviously he taught them in the same way and gave them the same truths which he gave his followers in Jerusalem and on the American continent; and obviously they recorded his teachings, thus creating volumes of scripture comparable to the Bible and Book of Mormon. (2 Ne. 29:12–14.)

“In due course the Lost Tribes of Israel will return and come to the children of Ephraim to receive their blessings. This great gathering will take place under the direction of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for he holds the keys. . . . Keys are the right of presidency, the power to direct; and by this power the Lost Tribes will return, with ‘their prophets’ and their scriptures to ‘be crowned with glory, even in Zion, by the hands of the servants of the Lord, even the children of Ephraim.’ (D. & C. 133:26–35.)

“At the October, 1916, general conference of the Church, Elder James E. Talmage made this prediction: ‘The tribes shall come; they are not lost unto the Lord; they shall be brought forth as hath been predicted; and I say unto you there are those now living—aye, some here present—who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews, or the Holy Bible, and the record of the Nephites, or the Book of Mormon, even as the Lord hath predicted; and those records, which the tribes lost to man but yet to be found again shall bring, shall tell of the visit of the resurrected Christ to them, after he had manifested himself to the Nephites upon this continent.’ (Articles of Faith, p. 513.)” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 455–58.)
viewtopic.php?p=260638
Oldemandalton wrote: February 16th, 2012, 8:00 pm Cleon Skousen and the 10 Lost Tribes of Israel...

5 The returning Ten Tribes will bring riches and scriptures and be led by prophets.
D&C 133
26. And they who are in the north countries shall come in remembrance before the Lord; and their prophets shall hear his voice, and shall no longer stay themselves; and they shall smite the rocks, and the ice shall flow down at their presence.

This verse raises a whole series of questions. First of all, where have the ten lost tribes been for the last 2,600 years? And how did they happen to show up in the midst of the ice and rugged rocks of the Arctic Circle? Since the gospel was restored we have the answers to some of these questions.
For example, we now know the ten northern tribes broke away from the tribe of Judah in 921 B.C. and the tribe of Aaron (the Levites) subsequently joined Judah. The remaining ten tribes were conquered by the Assyrians in 721 B.C. but the ten tribes escaped in 606 B.C. when the Assyrians were conquered by the Babylonians. For two centuries or more, the ten tribes settled near the Black Sea, but they felt threatened when the Roman legions began conquering that territory. As a result, the ten tribes began a long, tedious migration to the far north. The Jewish Apocrypha describes this northward migration by saying:
"But they took this counsel among themselves that they would leave the multitudes of the heathen, and go forth into a further country, where never mankind dwelt, that they might there keep their statutes which they never kept in their own land." [2] Esdras 13:40-44, The Apocrypha According to the Authorized Version, Destiny Publishers, 1946, pp. 56-57.
A careful reading of Esdras indicates that the more righteous Israelites apparently divided from the less righteous and were transferred to a separate planet as had occurred with the City of Enoch. Esdras does not tell us what happened to the righteous segment, but he does speak of those who were "left behind," Esdras 13:48 clearly indicating that there was a separation.
viewtopic.php?p=1297650&hilit=Apocrypha#p1297650
Krusty wrote: August 31st, 2022, 1:14 pm My opinion? The United States wants to waste its strength and means warring in foreign lands. When Russia, provoked by the West, seeks to bring Ukraine back under its fold, we're told they are the epitome of evil. I don't believe any country is innocent in this situation, but the double standard is beyond the pale.

Anyone that believes that Russia has a 3rd world, laughable military is in for a rude awakening. It is my opinion that the "Head that was in the midst" in 2 Esdras 11 (Apocrypha) is Russia.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

2 Esdras and an LDS take on Rapture Theology. (The book is referred to here as 4 Ezra – the name the Catholics tend to know it by.)

viewtopic.php?t=69879
elizabethglassburner wrote: February 26th, 2023, 9:06 am 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗰𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗟𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗶𝘀 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝘂𝗶𝗹𝗱 𝗭𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗱𝘀.

Hebrews 11: 10 says that the architect and builder of Zion / the New Jerusalem is God. Hebrews 11:16 says, "he has prepared a city for them." Moses 7:62 says Zion is, "a place I shall prepare." In fact 4 Ezra says, "𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗻𝗼 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝗮𝗻'𝘀 𝗯𝘂𝗶𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘂𝗿𝗲 in a place where the city of the Most High was to be revealed."
𝗪𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗯𝘂𝗶𝗹𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗟𝗶𝗳𝗲
Because it is for you that paradise is opened, the tree of life is planted, the age to come is prepared, plenty is provided, a city is built, rest is appointed, goodness is established and wisdom perfected beforehand, 4 Ezra 8: 52.

Therefore I told you to go into the field where there was no foundation of any building, 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗡𝗢 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝗮𝗻'𝘀 𝗯𝘂𝗶𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘂𝗿𝗲 in a place where the city of the Most High was to be revealed. 4 Ezra 10: 53-54.
elizabethglassburner wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 10:12 am This is my 2 cents on what I think the interpretation is [of the Ezra's Eagle prophecy], for what it's worth...

https://bethanymagdalene.blogspot.com/2 ... ng-of.html

Latest Apocrypha
1 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), another lost book?
viewtopic.php?t=69855

2 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon)- the return of Tsirutsaydan
viewtopic.php?p=1360311

The Gospel of Nicodemus or Acts of Pilate, as tested on Mennonites
viewtopic.php?t=69760

The Shepherd of Hermas - inspired literature or pagan trash?
viewtopic.php?t=69650

The Epistle of Barnabas (NT Apocrypha) - link between OT and NT, or not?
viewtopic.php?t=69679

The Didache or Teachings of the Apostles
viewtopic.php?t=69698

And
Antilegomena: the books which barely made it into the Bible - Revelation, Esther, Song of Songs, James etc
viewtopic.php?p=1350652

Is Q canonical? How about the Gospel of Thomas? The answer's more complicated than you think.
viewtopic.php?t=69715

The LDS Bible Dictionary on Lost Books and non-canonical works referred to in the Bible.
viewtopic.php?t=69805

The Samaritans, their canon and its significance
viewtopic.php?t=69905
Last edited by Niemand on February 28th, 2023, 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

This thread is interesting. Thanks for posting!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A somewhat US-centric new thread on the eagle prophecy:

viewtopic.php?t=70611
bertmc wrote: April 12th, 2023, 10:59 am Here is what I think is coming next.
Details in the attached image, more info below.

Latest Apocrypha
3 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon) a Question of Satan, another lost work?
viewtopic.php?t=70277

1 Clement: Papist propaganda or a window into the early church?
viewtopic.php?p=1368842

2 Clement: Inclement Gnosticism?
viewtopic.php?t=70327

The Two Apocalypses of Peter: Guides to the universe or sadism? The ancient Apocalypse of Peter and the Arabic Apocalypse of Peter.
viewtopic.php?t=70682

Four Apocryphal Psalms - 152, 153, 154, 155
viewtopic.php?t=69985

A post on the Restored Branch, an English LDS microsect and its canon which includes works from the Nag Hammadi and Gnostic texts: these are the Gospel of Peter, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Phillip, the Gospel of Truth (sic), the Letter of the Apostle Paul, the Sophia (Wisdom) of Jesus the Christ, the Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles and the Letter of Peter which he sent to Philip.
viewtopic.php?t=70413

On interrelated religions
My thread about the Koran, and its use of figures from the Bible, the Apocrypha and extracanonical material. How useful a source is the Koran itself? Does it have any real extra information on Biblical figures? This is something of work in progress.
viewtopic.php?t=70169

Was Zoroaster/Zarathustra a lost prophet of God? Some surprising links between this largely forgotten figure and Judaism, plus the Gathas.
viewtopic.php?t=65938

Are the Yezidis of the Middle East an ancient Satanist group or a lost Jewish tribe? And what is the connection between their religion and today's rainbow flag? Is this strange group simply misunderstood?
viewtopic.php?t=70625

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Scepticism about some of the current interpretations of the Ezra's Eagle prophecy.
viewtopic.php?t=67430&start=475
creator wrote: April 30th, 2023, 11:04 pm
FrankOne wrote: April 30th, 2023, 9:25 pmsomeone needs to start another future dated doom thread
We've got about a year and a half before we see the flop of the current Ezra's Eagle predictions. I predict that after they realize they are wrong again, they simply move the goal posts yet again.
Latest Apocrypha
Underrated Bible stories #3: Habakkuk's Hair-raising Experience (from Bel & the Dragon in the KJV Apocrypha)
viewtopic.php?t=69509

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Niemand wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:58 am

Some Highlights
* Jesus' second coming and Ten Lost Tribes: 2 Esdras 13
I believe that you are almost correct. The Second Comforter / First Comforter switch-a-roo
IMG_20230501_184212.png
IMG_20230501_184212.png (287.64 KiB) Viewed 235 times
2 Esdras 13:...

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Bailey asks here
viewtopic.php?t=70611&start=100
Yeliab wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:54 pmOk I am not at all familiar with this Ezra's Eagle thing. What is it? Where can I go to learn about it? Thank you in advance. I'm sure I missed the original part of the discussion due to not being where I can get on the computer very much over the last couple of years. Intermittent at best. So, I am waaaaay behind
Hopefully this thread will give you some other info and alternative interpretations. I would also emphasise the book is worth reading beyond the eagle part.

I replied
The Eagle prophecy does not necessarily refer to the USA. The leaders of Rome and Russia (among others) have used the eagle as their symbol.
Clearly an attempt has been made to map this prophecy onto Rome (see above), but less so with other countries. I would like to see someone try and do a Russian/Soviet interpretation but AFAIK no one has.
russias-putin-sitting-desk-flags.jpg
russias-putin-sitting-desk-flags.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Sub's reply
Subcomandante wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:10 pmA couple of LDS authors, Michael Rush and James Prout, AFAIK indepedently of each other, discovered a pattern in the book of 2 Esdras in the Apocrypha detailing a latter-day kingdom with many different leaders. The patterns of the feathers on the bird signifying this latter-day kingdom is theorized to coincide with the presidents of the USA from Hoover to Obama, with Trump (and now Biden) being the first two of the "short feathers."

Other kingdoms, such as Rome, were theorized, but the lengths of time of the rulers do not coincide as greatly.
Essentially, according to the reading, Biden must not survive to the end of his current term for this interpretation of the prophecy to be legitimate. He will be replaced by some VERY sinister people. Who they are is as of right now not clear (my 2024 election thread - too early predictions assumes that Biden will make it to the election day but will die a little afterwards, but there will be complications). But the new rulers will rule the country cruelly and the country will suffer big time as a result. It is then when the hordes of Israel will return to set order and then those rulers that were here will cause havoc in the rest of the world and then the Second Coming happens.
This is what I gather from that interpretation. I'm probably skipping over many details. My personal OPINION is that Rush explains this idea better than Prout. I know of no current person in Church leadership that has said anything in favor of or against the Ezra Eagle interpretation as espoused by Rush or Prout.

The most important thing, regardless of the truth of this interpretation and prophecy, is that JESUS IS COMING SOON and WE MUST BE PREPARED FOR HIS ARRIVAL. The signs of his coming, are both great and terrible. There could very well be other things which we have not considered.
I tried to address the question of whether the Roman Empire ever died on another thread. The main use is that it discusses many of the places which still use an eagle as a symbol.
viewtopic.php?t=65231

Latest Apocrypha etc
Celtic legends about the Bible, including the visits of Biblical figures to western Europe, the Michael Line, Holy Grail/Arthurian legend, and Pontius Pilate. Discusses the Lost Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (the Sonnini Manuscript), Magna Tabula Glastonia, writings of Nicephorus, Leabhar Gabhala/Lebor Gabála Érenn (Book of Settlements), the Mabinogion etc. Also discussed the Kolbrin Book and Gospel of Kailedy, modern forgeries.
viewtopic.php?t=71061

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs: are these lost books of the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

The Book of the Cock – an unfortunately named Ethiopian gospel still in current use.
viewtopic.php?t=71338

The First and Second Books of Adam and Eve (the Conflict with Satan)
viewtopic.php?t=70846

A lost Old Testament book containing prophecies of Christ and the Tribulation preserved by Jews in India? The Book of Gad the Seer
viewtopic.php?t=71421

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

End Times Prophecy in Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha: A guide
Includes discussions of 2 Esdras, (1) Enoch, Nicodemus, Ascension of Isaiah, Gad the Seer and the Shepherd of Hermas
viewtopic.php?t=71659

Latest Apocrypha
The Ascension of Isaiah, visions of Christ and Antichrist
viewtopic.php?t=71598

The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus - a beautiful short letter about the relations of Christians and non-Christians, and the Tree of Knowledge
viewtopic.php?p=1404032

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

There is a section missing from the KJV 2 Esdras text that appears in some others. I suppose one could say this is a kind of "Apocrypha" within the Apocrypha, Inception-style
2nd Esdras is one of the 14 books of the APOCRYPHA, removed from the original 1611 King James Version Bible -- leaving a total of 66 books in current versions of the bible predominately distributed today.

The 70 Missing Verses are not part of the King James Version Apocrypha, but are revealed in the Cambridge Annotated Study Apocrypha - edited by Howard Clark Kee. These verses are also available in the NRSV Holy Bible with the Apocrypha - by Oxford University Press.

70 Missing Verses on Hell, the Pit of Torment
NRS 2 Esdras 7:36-105
NRSV: New Revised Standard Version
Here are those missing verses which are not included in the links above as far as I can recall.

Audiobook
There are a limited selection of readings of this available on YouTube.

18 mins approx.
Alternative audiobook
These verses are mostly about Hell. If you wish to read them, click on the "spoiler" tab below.
Spoiler
36 Then the pit of torment shall appear, and opposite it shall be the place of rest; and the furnace of hell shall be disclosed, and opposite it the paradise of delight. I answered and said, "How then do we find that first Abraham prayed for the people of Sodom, and Moses for our fathers who sinned in the desert,
37 Then the Most High will say to the nations that have been raised from the dead, `Look now, and understand whom you have denied, whom you have not served, whose commandments you have despised! and Joshua after him for Israel in the days of Achan,
38 Look on this side and on that; here are delight and rest, and there are fire and torments!' Thus he will speak to them on the day of judgment -- and Samuel in the days of Saul, and David for the plague, and Solomon for those in the sanctuary,
39 a day that has no sun or moon or stars, and Elijah for those who received the rain, and for the one who was dead, that he might live,
40 or cloud or thunder or lightning or wind or water or air, or darkness or evening or morning, and Hezekiah for the people in the days of Sennacherib, and many others prayed for many?
41 or summer or spring or heat or winter or frost or cold or hail or rain or dew, If therefore the righteous have prayed for the ungodly now, when corruption has increased and unrighteousness has multiplied, why will it not be so then as well?"
42 or noon or night, or dawn or shining or brightness or light, but only the splendor of the glory of the Most High, by which all shall see what has been determined for them. He answered me and said, "This present world is not the end; the full glory does not abide in it; therefore those who were strong prayed for the weak.
43 For it will last for about a week of years. But the day of judgment will be the end of this age and the beginning of the immortal age to come, in which corruption has passed away,
44 This is my judgment and its prescribed order; and to you alone have I shown these things." sinful indulgence has come to an end, unbelief has been cut off, and righteousness has increased and truth has appeared.
45 I answered and said, "O sovereign Lord, I said then and I say now: Blessed are those who are alive and keep thy commandments! Therefore no one will then be able to have mercy on him who has been condemned in the judgment, or to harm him who is victorious."
46 But what of those for whom I prayed? For who among the living is there that has not sinned, or who among men that has not transgressed thy covenant? I answered and said, "This is my first and last word, that it would have been better if the earth had not produced Adam, or else, when it had produced him, had restrained him from sinning.
47 And now I see that the world to come will bring delight to few, but torments to many. For what good is it to all that they live in sorrow now and expect punishment after death?
48 For an evil heart has grown up in us, which has alienated us from God, and has brought us into corruption and the ways of death, and has shown us the paths of perdition and removed us far from life -- and that not just a few of us but almost all who have been created!" O Adam, what have you done? For though it was you who sinned, the fall was not yours alone, but ours also who are your descendants.
49 He answered me and said, "Listen to me, [Esdras/]Ezra, and I will instruct you, and will admonish you yet again. For what good is it to us, if an eternal age has been promised to us, but we have done deeds that bring death?
50 For this reason the Most High has made not one world but two. And what good is it that an everlasting hope has been promised to us, but we have miserably failed?
51 For whereas you have said that the righteous are not many but few, while the ungodly abound, hear the explanation for this. Or that safe and healthful habitations have been reserved for us, but we have lived wickedly?
52 "If you have just a few precious stones, will you add to them lead and clay?" Or that the glory of the Most High will defend those who have led a pure life, but we have walked in the most wicked ways?
53 I said, "Lord, how could that be?" Or that a paradise shall be revealed, whose fruit remains unspoiled and in which are abundance and healing, but we shall not enter it,
54 And he said to me, "Not only that, but ask the earth and she will tell you; defer to her, and she will declare it to you. because we have lived in unseemly places?
55 Say to her, `You produce gold and silver and brass, and also iron and lead and clay; Or that the faces of those who practiced self-control shall shine more than the stars, but our faces shall be blacker than darkness?
56 but silver is more abundant than gold, and brass than silver, and iron than brass, and lead than iron, and clay than lead.' For while we lived and committed iniquity we did not consider what we should suffer after death."
57 Judge therefore which things are precious and desirable, those that are abundant or those that are rare?" He answered and said, "This is the meaning of the contest which every man who is born on earth shall wage,
58 I said, "O sovereign Lord, what is plentiful is of less worth, for what is more rare is more precious." that if he is defeated he shall suffer what you have said, but if he is victorious he shall receive what I have said.
59 He answered me and said, "Weigh within yourself what you have thought, for he who has what is hard to get rejoices more than he who has what is plentiful. For this is the way of which Moses, while he was alive, spoke to the people, saying, `Choose for yourself life, that you may live!'
60 So also will be the judgment which I have promised; for I will rejoice over the few who shall be saved, because it is they who have made my glory to prevail now, and through them my name has now been honored. But they did not believe him, or the prophets after him, or even myself who have spoken to them.
61 And I will not grieve over the multitude of those who perish; for it is they who are now like a mist, and are similar to a flame and smoke -- they are set on fire and burn hotly, and are extinguished." Therefore there shall not be grief at their destruction, so much as joy over those to whom salvation is assured."
62 I replied and said, "O earth, what have you brought forth, if the mind is made out of the dust like the other created things! I answered and said, "I know, O Lord, that the Most High is now called merciful, because he has mercy on those who have not yet come into the world;
63 For it would have been better if the dust itself had not been born, so that the mind might not have been made from it. and gracious, because he is gracious to those who turn in repentance to his law;
64 But now the mind grows with us, and therefore we are tormented, because we perish and know it. and patient, because he shows patience toward those who have sinned, since they are his own works;
65 Let the human race lament, but let the beasts of the field be glad; let all who have been born lament, but let the four-footed beasts and the flocks rejoice! and bountiful, because he would rather give than take away;
66 For it is much better with them than with us; for they do not look for a judgment, nor do they know of any torment or salvation promised to them after death. and abundant in compassion, because he makes his compassions abound more and more to those now living and to those who are gone and to those yet to come,
67 For what does it profit us that we shall be preserved alive but cruelly tormented? for if he did not make them abound, the world with those who inhabit it would not have life;
68 For all who have been born are involved in iniquities, and are full of sins and burdened with transgressions. and he is called giver, because if he did not give out of his goodness so that those who have committed iniquities might be relieved of them, not one ten-thousandth of mankind could have life;
69 And if we were not to come into judgment after death, perhaps it would have been better for us." and judge, because if he did not pardon those who were created by his word and blot out the multitude of their sins,
70 He answered me and said, "When the Most High made the world and Adam and all who have come from him, he first prepared the judgment and the things that pertain to the judgment. there would probably be left only very few of the innumerable multitude."
71 And now understand from your own words, for you have said that the mind grows with us.
72 For this reason, therefore, those who dwell on earth shall be tormented, because though they had understanding they committed iniquity, and though they received the commandments they did not keep them, and though they obtained the law they dealt unfaithfully with what they received.
73 What, then, will they have to say in the judgment, or how will they answer in the last times?
74 For how long the time is that the Most High has been patient with those who inhabit the world, and not for their sake, but because of the times which he has foreordained!"
75 I answered and said, "If I have found favor in thy sight, O Lord, show this also to thy servant: whether after death, as soon as every one of us yields up his soul, we shall be kept in rest until those times come when thou wilt renew the creation, or whether we shall be tormented at once?"
76 He answered me and said, "I will show you that also, but do not be associated with those who have shown scorn, nor number yourself among those who are tormented.
77 For you have a treasure of works laid up with the Most High; but it will not be shown to you until the last times.
78 Now, concerning death, the teaching is: When the decisive decree has gone forth from the Most High that a man shall die, as the spirit leaves the body to return again to him who gave it, first of all it adores the glory of the Most High.
79 And if it is one of those who have shown scorn and have not kept the way of the Most High, and who have despised his law, and who have hated those who fear God --
80 such spirits shall not enter into habitations, but shall immediately wander about in torments, ever grieving and sad, in seven ways.
81 The first way, because they have scorned the law of the Most High.
82 The second way, because they cannot now make a good repentance that they may live.
83 The third way, they shall see the reward laid up for those who have trusted the covenants of the Most High.
84 The fourth way, they shall consider the torment laid up for themselves in the last days.
85 The fifth way, they shall see how the habitations of the others are guarded by angels in profound quiet.
86 The sixth way, they shall see how some of them will pass over into torments.
87 The seventh way, which is worse than all the ways that have been mentioned, because they shall utterly waste away in confusion and be consumed with shame, and shall wither with fear at seeing the glory of the Most High before whom they sinned while they were alive, and before whom they are to be judged in the last times.
88 "Now this is the order of those who have kept the ways of the Most High, when they shall be separated from their mortal body.
89 During the time that they lived in it, they laboriously served the Most High, and withstood danger every hour, that they might keep the law of the Lawgiver perfectly.
90 Therefore this is the teaching concerning them:
91 First of all, they shall see with great joy the glory of him who receives them, for they shall have rest in seven orders.
92 The first order, because they have striven with great effort to overcome the evil thought which was formed with them, that it might not lead them astray from life into death.
93 The second order, because they see the perplexity in which the souls of the ungodly wander, and the punishment that awaits them.
94 The third order, they see the witness which he who formed them bears concerning them, that while they were alive they kept the law which was given them in trust.
95 The fourth order, they understand the rest which they now enjoy, being gathered into their chambers and guarded by angels in profound quiet, and the glory which awaits them in the last days.
96 The fifth order, they rejoice that they have now escaped what is corruptible, and shall inherit what is to come; and besides they see the straits and toil from which they have been delivered, and the spacious liberty which they are to receive and enjoy in immortality.
97 The sixth order, when it is shown to them how their face is to shine like the sun, and how they are to be made like the light of the stars, being incorruptible from then on.
98 The seventh order, which is greater than all that have been mentioned, because they shall rejoice with boldness, and shall be confident without confusion, and shall be glad without fear, for they hasten to behold the face of him whom they served in life and from whom they are to receive their reward when glorified.
99 This is the order of the souls of the righteous, as henceforth is announced; and the aforesaid are the ways of torment which those who would not give heed shall suffer hereafter."
100 I answered and said, "Will time therefore be given to the souls, after they have been separated from the bodies, to see what you have described to me?"
101 He said to me, "They shall have freedom for seven days, so that during these seven days they may see the things of which you have been told, and afterwards they shall be gathered in their habitations."
102 I answered and said, "If I have found favor in thy sight, show further to me, thy servant, whether on the day of judgment the righteous will be able to intercede for the ungodly or to entreat the Most High for them,
103 fathers for sons or sons for parents, brothers for brothers, relatives for their kinsmen, or friends for those who are most dear."
104 He answered me and said, "Since you have found favor in my sight, I will show you this also. The day of judgment is decisive and displays to all the seal of truth. Just as now a father does not send his son, or a son his father, or a master his servant, or a friend his dearest friend, to be ill or sleep or eat or be healed in his stead,
105 so no one shall ever pray for another on that day, neither shall any one lay a burden on another; for then every one shall bear his own righteousness and unrighteousness."
Summary
https://www.therain.org/studies/esdras.html
Below is an excerpt from the Goodspeed Apocrypha, from the second book of Esdras (or, 4 Ezra), chapter seven verses 75-105. Known as "The Missing Fragment" it was not entirely unknown in the West, Professor Johann Gildemeister, in 1865, discovered that a leaf had been excised from the Codex Sangermanensis, a Vulgate manuscript (now in Paris) from the Benedictine monastery of St. Germain des Pres. The conclusion was that all manuscripts of [Second Esdras] which do not contain the missing text were ultimately derived from the Codex Sangermanensis, after it had been mutilated (indicating that the leaf had been cut out very early in the volume's history, perhaps within a very few decades of its writing in AD 822).

These "missing verses" were not available in print until Robert L. Bensly published the Latin text from the Codex Colbertinus in 1875. After Bensly's death in 1893, Cambridge published his critical edition of the whole Latin text of Esdras (or, 4 Ezra) in 1895, restoring the lost verses; it is this Latin text that was used in the Stuttgart edition of the Latin Vulgate. Bensly's text was also the basis for the translation which was included in the English Revised Version of the Bible and the Apocrypha (which the translation below is directly based upon).

It is theorized that the missing page (or Leaf) was cut out from the Codex Sangermanensis by a monk at the Benedictine monastery because of its very discouraging account of the hideous fate awaiting most people and its statement that the prayers of others on their behalf would be unavailing. Since the discovery of the excised text in the Codex Ambianensis at Amiens, several other ancient Vulgate manuscripts which do include the missing text of Esdras (or, 4 Ezra), have come to light, versions of Syriac, Ethiopic, Arabic, Armenian and Spanish provenance. Thus confirming the restoration of the text in II Esdras (or, 4 Ezra) to be whole.

Only Verses 75–105 of the missing fragment are shown in this excerpt. The complete book of II Esdras (including the entirety of the missing fragment, verses 36–105) may be found in the printed version of the Goodspeed Apocrypha.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/2_Esdras
Most Latin editions of the text have a large lacuna (a section of missing text) of about 70 verses between 7:36 and 7:37 due to the fact that they trace their common origin to one early manuscript, Codex Sangermanensis, which was missing an entire page. In 1895 a critical edition was published restoring the lost verses. The restored verses are numbered 7:36 to 7:106, with the former verses 7:37-7:69 renumbered to 7:107-7:137.

The last two chapters of 2 Ezra are found in the Latin version, but not in the Eastern Greek texts. These are the chapters predicting wars led by the Messiah (called again the "son of God") and harshly rebuke sinners. Many assume that they, like the early chapters, date from a much later period (perhaps late third century) and may be Christian in origin. It is possible, though not certain, that they were added at the same time as the first two chapters of the Latin version. It is also possible, however, that they are Jewish in origin, as they have been found in some Greek manuscripts which most scholars agree was translated from a Hebrew original.

Latest Apocrypha etc
The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, an early endorsement of Paul or a forgery?
viewtopic.php?p=1400884

The Martyrdom of Polycarp, a second century piece related to an early martyr.
viewtopic.php?t=71751