"save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Trucker
captain of 1,000

"save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ"

Post by Trucker »

9 Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.
10 And the blood of the saints shall cry from the ground against them.
11 Yea, they have all gone out of the way; they have become corrupted.
12 Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up.
13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.
14 They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men.
15 O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!
16 Wo unto them that turn aside the just for a thing of naught and revile against that which is good, and say that it is of no worth! For the day shall come that the Lord God will speedily visit the inhabitants of the earth; and in that day that they are fully ripe in iniquity they shall perish.
2 Nephi

I am wondering how "few" this actually is, and who they are and where they are. "Few" could be relative, like a few million out of 7 billion people. But it could also be "few" in terms of a few thousand or less. And if the church leadership has become derelict in their duty, then we are facing a Martin Luther or OMS situation, and then the number of "few" would be a small percentage of members. And if we look outside the LDS church, the "few" might be some offshoot or remnant. At some point, I think whoever the few "humble followers of Christ are", they realize that they are on their own and without any organization, or it may be a very small organization. If a mormon offshoot with 300 members claims to be legitimate would you accept that? Or is that too small of a number? If a "few" crumble followers of Christ either refuse to go along with Agenda 2030 or break out into a separate group, would that be too small for you?

These are some things I'm thinking about. The scriptures say all have gone astray except a few. How small of a number would I be willing to join with?

cachemagic
captain of 100

Re: "save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ"

Post by cachemagic »

2 Nephi 28

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

humble followers of Christ

Post by BeNotDeceived »

In most cases

A few is four or five

Possibly three or six

Several is seven or more.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: humble followers of Christ

Post by Niemand »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:14 pm In most cases

A few is four or five

Possibly three or six

Several is seven or more.
I would always put several below seven.

In a sample of millions or billions, a few is a lot.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

"There is one in every crowd." ... ;) or so the saying goes... If it only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel, is it safe to assume that one humble follower in a crowd of non (or false) believers has the ability to plant seeds of truth?

Matthew 5:16 ~ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

To answer your question, I honestly believe that true followers of the Lord are sprinkled everywhere. However, the numbers have been decimated over the past 100-150 years. Many still attend various organized religious groups, but few take the teachings to heart. Most smile because the feel that they have fulfilled some "obligation" by the virtue of their attendance.

*Side note which emphasizes this thought. *

In Texas, you can buy wine and beer on Sunday after 12:00pm. Some grocery stores give out little cups of wine samples on Sundays. I know this because I had to squeeze past a crowd to pick up a neighbor wandering in the store. (Long story for another day) Back to the wine hand-outs. Women were all gussied up, coming straight from church... pushing people out of the way and acting very "non-Christian" in order to get free alcohol. I truly wanted to stand on a platform and ask what they had learned that very morning in church that left them in an aggressive drinking frenzy.

(But I was not in the mood to be beat to a pulp by the mob of less-than-Christian church attendees. )

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Momma J wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:07 am "There is one in every crowd." ... ;) or so the saying goes... If it only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel, is it safe to assume that one humble follower in a crowd of non (or false) believers has the ability to plant seeds of truth?

Matthew 5:16 ~ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

To answer your question, I honestly believe that true followers of the Lord are sprinkled everywhere. However, the numbers have been decimated over the past 100-150 years. Many still attend various organized religious groups, but few take the teachings to heart. Most smile because the feel that they have fulfilled some "obligation" by the virtue of their attendance.

*Side note which emphasizes this thought. *

In Texas, you can buy wine and beer on Sunday after 12:00pm. Some grocery stores give out little cups of wine samples on Sundays. I know this because I had to squeeze past a crowd to pick up a neighbor wandering in the store. (Long story for another day) Back to the wine hand-outs. Women were all gussied up, coming straight from church... pushing people out of the way and acting very "non-Christian" in order to get free alcohol. I truly wanted to stand on a platform and ask what they had learned that very morning in church that left them in an aggressive drinking frenzy.

(But I was not in the mood to be beat to a pulp by the mob of less-than-Christian church attendees. )
😂😂😂

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Trucker wrote: January 30th, 2023, 10:23 am
14 They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men.

If a "few" crumble followers of Christ either refuse to go along with Agenda 2030 or break out into a separate group, would that be too small for you?

These are some things I'm thinking about. The scriptures say all have gone astray except a few. How small of a number would I be willing to join with?
How many did Jesus/Yeshua join with?

The # may be very important to some, but when you consider trying to follow the example (not exception) of Christ, then you’re too busy to worry about numbers. And the fact is, (or seems to be) that the more in a group, the easier they get carried away by herd mentalities…