Adding to our supplies

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Adding to our supplies

Post by mudflap »

I'd love to build a root cellar. I think we could really put it to good use. but we have a high water table, so I need to address drainage.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 10:33 am I'd love to build a root cellar. I think we could really put it to good use. but we have a high water table, so I need to address drainage.
I too would love a root cellar, but it would become a mud pit. Thinking along the lines of digging the hole. lining with cinderblocks. Then maybe lining with an inground vinyl pool liner? But then it could not breathe either. I will have to check ideas for storm shelters and see if something could be modified. Some have suggested burying a small conex. That is an option that I am considering.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: January 4th, 2023, 5:20 am
mudflap wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 10:33 am I'd love to build a root cellar. I think we could really put it to good use. but we have a high water table, so I need to address drainage.
I too would love a root cellar, but it would become a mud pit. Thinking along the lines of digging the hole. lining with cinderblocks. Then maybe lining with an inground vinyl pool liner? But then it could not breathe either. I will have to check ideas for storm shelters and see if something could be modified. Some have suggested burying a small conex. That is an option that I am considering.
I've heard folks say to do that, too, but then others have said they aren't as strong as they look - dirt is heavy, apparently, and will collapse the sides of those. I have one on the back of my property - 40' - I store my tractor, solar panels, and other junk in it for now.

Eventually, it'll be my "sawmill shed". Going to add a roof to one or both sides so I can get the tractor out of it, and maybe turn it into a kiln for my lumber. There's another guy in the neighborhood who still does some sawmilling, but he's mostly retired. Folks are telling me I'm the only other person around with a mill and they keep asking me when I'm going to finish the cabin so I can start milling for them, lol. My track is 32' long, so I can make beams 16"x16"x30' and smaller - all the way down to 1" thick.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap - I am a tab it envious that we are not neighbors!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I have been reading about earth bags. It might be an option for us. Research continues.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: January 9th, 2023, 9:58 am
I have been reading about earth bags. It might be an option for us. Research continues.
Several years ago I took the Scouts to this place:

https://www.calearth.org/

I wanted to build one.

The main guy spoke to us about his idea of building on the moon.

Recommend taking the tour.

Sir H

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

earthbag building is pretty neat. there's one less than a mile from my cabin. I don't think you need to pay extra for the "superAdobe" brand, though - there are many forms of earthbag construction. Here's an example: https://www.themudhome.com/

I was researching haybale construction before I settled on logs.

bottom line: the 30 yr mortgage cookie cutter "Ivory Home" should be your last resort, not your first. So many ways to do it so much cheaper. A city that won't allow you a permit to build what you want isn't a city you want to live in long term.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Thank you both for the links. So many options to consider. My main obstacle is convincing my hubby of the necessity.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: January 9th, 2023, 1:50 pm Thank you both for the links. So many options to consider. My main obstacle is convincing my hubby of the necessity.
Always the spouse.

LOL

Sir H

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I saw a spiffy earthbag root cellar that the family built under their deck. They had a hidden trap door on the deck and a built-in ladder down to the root cellar.

I am thinking that might be a good option. We wanted to make a deck off the back of the country cottage that would be elevated about 30 inches to be the same height as French doors coming out the kitchen (another project). This would be a great location for ducking out of the way of a possible tornado as well as storing root veggies and canned goods.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Not a priority, but added 4 jars of spicy pickled garlic. (Sams had a sale) I need a better way of peeling garlic... after a bit my fingers became very sore with burning under my nails.

Planted 10 grow bags of potatoes in the greenhouse and 4 bags of onions. Never had a greenhouse before, so I am experimenting. I also prepped the beds for adding more potatoes in hill beds. Just waiting a bit for the last hard freeze that usually hits in February.
Last edited by Momma J on January 19th, 2023, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:05 am Not a priority, but added 4 jars of spicy pickled garlic. (Sams had a sale) I need a better way of peeling garlic... after a bit my fingers became very sore with burning under my nails.

Planted 10 grow bags of potatoes in the greenhouse and 4 bags of onions. Never had a greenhouse before, so I am experimenting. I also prepped the beds for adding more potatoes in hill beds. Just waiting a bit for the last hard freeze that usually hits in November.
Find small Glass jar that fits in your hand with lid (Tall is better than small)

Insert one bulb.

Shake violently until most peelings are removed.

Pour contents onto cutting board.

Separate cloves from peelings.

Remove any peelings remaining on bulbs (should be very little)

Enjoy.

Sir H

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

HVDC wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:02 am
Momma J wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:05 am Not a priority, but added 4 jars of spicy pickled garlic. (Sams had a sale) I need a better way of peeling garlic... after a bit my fingers became very sore with burning under my nails.

Planted 10 grow bags of potatoes in the greenhouse and 4 bags of onions. Never had a greenhouse before, so I am experimenting. I also prepped the beds for adding more potatoes in hill beds. Just waiting a bit for the last hard freeze that usually hits in November.
Find small Glass jar that fits in your hand with lid (Tall is better than small)

Insert one bulb.

Shake violently until most peelings are removed.

Pour contents onto cutting board.

Separate cloves from peelings.

Remove any peelings remaining on bulbs (should be very little)

Enjoy.

Sir H
I will definitely give this a go! Thank you. :)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Clearing a bit more of the fondly named "jungle" of vines, bamboo, fallen trees... The soil under the decomposed logs is amazing! I will be wheelbarrowing it up to the garden area soon! It is very exciting to see all that God has given us.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I was just blessed with another quart of raw unfiltered honey! This stuff tastes amazing. It makes the "honey" they sell in the store taste like corn syrup.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:12 am I was just blessed with another quart of raw unfiltered honey! This stuff tastes amazing. It makes the "honey" they sell in the store taste like corn syrup.
As soon as I move into the cabin, I'm looking into beehives. might get some this summer...

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:12 am I was just blessed with another quart of raw unfiltered honey! This stuff tastes amazing. It makes the "honey" they sell in the store taste like corn syrup.
It just might be.

Lots of counterfeit honey.

Sir H

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

HVDC wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:33 am
It just might be.

Lots of counterfeit honey.

Sir H
yes. "Pure honey" is a deep issue. When we looked into it about a year ago, we found out that Canada has some laws that allows China to export honey to Canada that is "less than pure", and then Canada already has some agreement with the USA to where we'll accept their honey without question. I wouldn't put it past the CCP to set up a fake Canadian honey company to sell their junk to the USA. And the USA will buy it, no questions asked.

Your only hope for now is to buy local from someone you know.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

The potato plants that I started in the greenhouse are now about 6" tall! This is an experiment for me as last year it was extremely hot too soon in the year and I ended up with bags of yummy, but tiny, potatoes.

This year I planted in grow bags in the greenhouse and started 6 weeks earlier than last year. I also have a bed growing outside the greenhouse. Those plants are just now starting to sprout.

I might be a few weeks late in starting my seeds in the greenhouse. Time will tell. This is all new to me, as I am accustomed to sowing seeds directly into the soil when we have past all chances of frost.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I had to hill the potatoes as they are now almost a foot tall! This weekend I am going to put a woodshed together. We have 2 stacks of wood in racks now, but we need a better system for stacking wood that we are seasoning. This will allow us a better rotation system.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:42 am I had to hill the potatoes as they are now almost a foot tall! This weekend I am going to put a woodshed together. We have 2 stacks of wood in racks now, but we need a better system for stacking wood that we are seasoning. This will allow us a better rotation system.
that's great!

I don't think we're doing a garden this year. We just can't seem to focus on it and the cabin at the same time. maybe that's a mistake, but not moving in this year would be a bigger mistake, IMO.

I ran out of seasoned wood, so I bought some from a guy online that seemed legit. Nope - it's still a bit wet. My neighbor heard about my troubles and said to take as much as I wanted from the pile behind his garage. It's old, but it burns hot. The other day, I showed up to work on the cabin, and he had used his tractor with a front end loader to dump a huge pile of it next to my house. Nice! I stacked a bunch of it under the house, and racked the rest inside. Hopefully, I have enough now for a few more weeks of cold weather. Spring is probably in about 3-4 weeks. We might make it.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:04 am
Momma J wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:42 am I had to hill the potatoes as they are now almost a foot tall! This weekend I am going to put a woodshed together. We have 2 stacks of wood in racks now, but we need a better system for stacking wood that we are seasoning. This will allow us a better rotation system.
that's great!

I don't think we're doing a garden this year. We just can't seem to focus on it and the cabin at the same time. maybe that's a mistake, but not moving in this year would be a bigger mistake, IMO.

I ran out of seasoned wood, so I bought some from a guy online that seemed legit. Nope - it's still a bit wet. My neighbor heard about my troubles and said to take as much as I wanted from the pile behind his garage. It's old, but it burns hot. The other day, I showed up to work on the cabin, and he had used his tractor with a front end loader to dump a huge pile of it next to my house. Nice! I stacked a bunch of it under the house, and racked the rest inside. Hopefully, I have enough now for a few more weeks of cold weather. Spring is probably in about 3-4 weeks. We might make it.
This is a great example of the benefits of reaching out to our neighbors! I do agree with the importance of being able to move into your new home sooner rather than later.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:38 am
mudflap wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:04 am
that's great!

This is a great example of the benefits of reaching out to our neighbors! I do agree with the importance of being able to move into your new home sooner rather than later.
He's a good one. I need to help him jack up a sinking shed this spring after he recovers from his upcoming back surgery.

If I do anything, it's going to be along the lines of amending the soil. I may try to jump start its potential with a load of mulch, I don't know. Definitely going to build a covered area for composting - we get a lot of rain here, so if you leave a compost pile open, it will just rot instead of composting. Looking at cover crops with tap-roots, due to our clay soil. Want to do things naturally, even though I could just till it with my tractor. Trying to see if we can do a large garden without much machinery, in case they go after tractors. Looking at no-till methods and other non-labor intensive ideas.

We have almost 4 acres. You can make a living off of 1 - I've seen it done. Eventually, I'll double our blueberry patch from 40 to 80 bushes. We have 3 apple trees already. We want to add non-wild blackberries (we have a TON of wild ones - they are like weeds, and the deer love them). We also want strawberries and grapes. And I need a large area for wheat and corn. Then we'll do a large vegetable garden, along with beans and peas. Out back, we'll have chickens and bees. I might save room for some goats. not sure yet where we want to go with animals beyond chickens.

The self sufficiency plan is gardening, inventing, welding, cabinet-making (I've really enjoyed making doors for the cabin - I'd like to make some to sell), and maybe I'll offer music lessons (piano / sax / ukulele), and get into arranging and composing again.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

My wife and I bought a sawmill from a mom and pop operation. We completely got taken. Contract said they would fill the order in 4 months. It has now been a year and a half and they won't return phone calls. I would highly advise going with a reputable company like woodmizer. That's what I wanted but the mom and pop shop said they could deliver faster. We'll probably have to go to court at this point and pray we can get some money back.

I would like to get some of the EMP Shield devices for our off grid electrical.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

What brand do you have mudflap?