Polygamy = Adultery

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Polygamy = Adultery

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

gruden2.0 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:55 am
cab wrote: November 19th, 2021, 7:41 am
Perhaps it goes back to Adam and Eve (just as Adam was beguiled to partake of a something forbidden so that “man may be”,so did Abraham and Jacob enter into unsanctioned unions.
Prove it. Where does God condemn Abraham or Jacob?

I've made this point before, but people are quite careless in condemning two of the great patriarchs of the House of Israel on this issue.

God will justify his true servants, will he justify those foolish enough to cast shade on the great and noble? Those that do walk upon very thin ice.
A person can hold to the notion that the ancient of days were commanded to take a wife for a very specific dispensation. That is not what happened via Brigham. Not even close.

Many in the LDS church have a distorted view of Jacob 2. They think this gave Brigham full rights to implement such an abominable practice.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 30th, 2023, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Perhaps it goes back to Adam and Eve (just as Adam was beguiled to partake of a something forbidden so that “man may be”,so did Abraham and Jacob enter into unsanctioned unions.

I've made this point before, but people are quite careless in condemning two of the great patriarchs of the House of Israel on this issue.

God will justify his true servants, will he justify those foolish enough to cast shade on the great and noble? Those that do walk upon very thin ice.
Exactly.
Polygamy is not adultery since it doesn't meet the definition, God never labeled Abraham or Jacob as adulterers or sinners, and he even gave Moses some guidelines for living it in Israel but no prohibition. God also literally gave David plural wives through his prophet Nathan. I don't see that God would endorse adultery ever so polygamy can't equal adultery.

In short, every scriptural condemnation of polygamy involved someone practicing other evils along with polygamy. No polygamist was ever condemned for polygamy alone. Nor did God ever identify polygamy itself as adultery in scripture.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:21 pm

Exactly.
Polygamy is not adultery since it doesn't meet the definition, God never labeled Abraham or Jacob as adulterers or sinners, and he even gave Moses some guidelines for living it in Israel but no prohibition. God also literally gave David plural wives through his prophet Nathan. I don't see that God would endorse adultery ever so polygamy can't equal adultery.

In short, every scriptural condemnation of polygamy involved someone practicing other evils along with polygamy. No polygamist was ever condemned for polygamy alone. Nor did God ever identify polygamy itself as adultery in scripture.
But Brigham was an adulterer. He was nothing like the ancient of days.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Exactly.

I disagree. But that doesn't change the fact that your post topic is fundamentally flawed.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:57 pm

Exactly.

I disagree. But that doesn't change the fact that your post topic is fundamentally flawed.
In the context of who I am calling out, it is correct. Context is important.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Exactly.

Adultery by definition is sexual relations with someone you aren't married to.
Brigham, Joseph etc were married to every woman they had relations with. Therefore no adultery.

You can argue about the validity of the marriages if you want, but they were always husband and wife in those relations.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:48 pm
Brigham, Joseph etc were married to every woman they had relations with. Therefore no adultery.

You can argue about the validity of the marriages if you want, but they were always husband and wife in those relations.
Oh, I very much believe he was an adulterer in the very definition of the word.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

I said perhaps. Don’t get triggered. It’s something to ponder on. I’m quite confident that Abraham and Sarah didn’t wait on the Lord. Ishmael certainly wasn’t the child of the promise and ultimately Isaac was called Abraham’s “only son”…. And Isaac wasn’t even miraculously conceived until they basically disinherited Hagar (who wasn’t ever a real wife) and HER son Ishmael.
As for Jacob’s polygamy…. What are the fruits of it? 12 tribes that battled over birthright blessings for centuries….

How about this…. You “prove it” that any of those unions were commanded by the Lord…

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm

I know you do. Problem is he didn't meet the definition. But why worry about facts.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:00 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm

I know you do. Problem is he didn't meet the definition. But why worry about facts.
I think he had sex with women he was not married to. That’s the “definition” I’m referring to.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Does it count as marriage if you're forced or coerced or manipulated or lied to or gilted or threatened or if one person is still legally married to someone else...? 🤔 How many of Brigham's marriages counted as marriages were actually marriages and not one of these other things - which would not only be adulterous but in a lot of cases abusive?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Yes, if not for a little push-back, this thread was on track to be the working definition of a true echo-chamber. And why not?

The issue has been hashed and re-hashed so many times that folks just as well pick their tribe and stick with it — the whole time absolutely convinced that they know the mind and will of God at all times, and in all things.

Echo-on.
Last edited by tmac on January 31st, 2023, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

cab wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:58 pm

I said perhaps. Don’t get triggered. It’s something to ponder on. I’m quite confident that Abraham and Sarah didn’t wait on the Lord. Ishmael certainly wasn’t the child of the promise and ultimately Isaac was called Abraham’s “only son”…. And Isaac wasn’t even miraculously conceived until they basically disinherited Hagar (who wasn’t ever a real wife) and HER son Ishmael.
As for Jacob’s polygamy…. What are the fruits of it? 12 tribes that battled over birthright blessings for centuries….

How about this…. You “prove it” that any of those unions were commanded by the Lord…
I'm not making allegations against the patriarchs of the Lord, you are, therefore you have something to prove, not I. I have not accused them, you did. To me it doesn't matter whether the Lord commanded them or not, in Abraham's case it seems to have been Sarai's idea. In Jacob's case it was the machinations of his father-in-law. I would also point out that culturally, it was an acceptable practice in those times.

The 12 Tribes have not been forgotten by the Lord, they will soon reclaim their birthright. It is you, as a Gentile (as we all are) that needs to be concerned how you will fare in these times. If you are an accuser of the patriarchs, I can't imagine it will work out well.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

So let's see... Joseph polygamist, Brigham polygamist, John polygamist, Wilford polygamist, Lorenzo polygamist, Joseph F polygamist, Heber polygamist, as also hundreds/thousands of others prominent and some not so prominent, and many nobody's.
According to the heading , polygamy = adultery. Well, all of those men had many children, and beings it's adultery, then, there must be hundreds of thousands of "bastard children" running around to this day, a few million?. At any rate, a bastard child cannot come into the congregation of the LORD for ten generations. Also probably not at all good to inter-marry with any "bastards" be they male or female. And ten generations, I don't think, have gone by yet.
Summation? We are just a bunch of wannabe religious bastards....we're screwed.

:evil:

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

gruden2.0 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:50 pm

I'm not making allegations against the patriarchs of the Lord, you are, therefore you have something to prove, not I. I have not accused them, you did. To me it doesn't matter whether the Lord commanded them or not, in Abraham's case it seems to have been Sarai's idea. In Jacob's case it was the machinations of his father-in-law. I would also point out that culturally, it was an acceptable practice in those times.

The 12 Tribes have not been forgotten by the Lord, they will soon reclaim their birthright. It is you, as a Gentile (as we all are) that needs to be concerned how you will fare in these times. If you are an accuser of the patriarchs, I can't imagine it will work out well.

I haven’t accused anyone. I’m questioning the validity of CPM. Don’t get triggered

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

cab wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:04 pm

I haven’t accused anyone. I’m questioning the validity of CPM.
That's pretty sneaky to say "Well I just suggested it." C'mon man, either own it or admit it wasn't a good thing to say, because it isn't. No matter who's idea it was for them, God never condemned Abraham and Jacob for polygamy, and that's a simple truth. It is definitely something that bothers me greatly, I've seen people post this both here and even non-Mormons claimed they sinned. I don't care if you like polygamy or not, extending condemnation to noble souls is a serious thing that people really don't seem to grasp very well.

If God doesn't condemn them, why would anyone else? You really need to understand that those whom God has justified, he will defend, which means you could face some pretty serious questions at the judgment bar if you persist. Just a warning.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

cab wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:58 pm How about this…. You “prove it” that any of those unions were commanded by the Lord…
Exactly. I would say that is possibly the heart of the matter.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:15 pm

A person can hold to the notion that the ancient of days were commanded to take a wife for a very specific dispensation. That is not what happened via Brigham. Not even close.

Many in the LDS church has a distorted view of Jacob 2. That think this gave Brigham full rights to implement such an abominable practice.
I've made very specific statements about Brigham, so I'm not going to re-hash them. Jacob certainly did condemn what David and Solomon did, and rightfully so. Brigham seems to have ignored the warnings and followed after them.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

gruden2.0 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:13 pm
cab wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:04 pm

I haven’t accused anyone. I’m questioning the validity of CPM.
That's pretty sneaky to say "Well I just suggested it." C'mon man, either own it or admit it wasn't a good thing to say, because it isn't. No matter who's idea it was for them, God never condemned Abraham and Jacob for polygamy, and that's a simple truth. It is definitely something that bothers me greatly, I've seen people post this both here and even non-Mormons claimed they sinned. I don't care if you like polygamy or not, extending condemnation to noble souls is a serious thing that people really don't seem to grasp very well.

If God doesn't condemn them, why would anyone else? You really need to understand that those whom God has justified, he will defend, which means you could face some pretty serious questions at the judgment bar if you persist. Just a warning.

I’m not condemning anyone.
Permitting some form polygamy is far different from the justification our church did in making it our highest and holiest ordinance and the very definition of the everlasting covenant for more than half a century. That’s what I’m questioning. And anyone who doesn’t question this aberration in our history are those who you ought to “warn”… But for some reason I’m triggering you. Chill

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

I think it is interesting that we think God still condemns people for their past even after they've obtained faith ex: Sarah. She lied almost to the Lord's face, and didn't believe the Lord. The Lord dosn't "condemn" her for that. In fact she is later mentioned in the scriptures as having great faith : HEbrews 11:11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 12And so from one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

13All these people died in faith, without having received the things they were promised. However, they saw them and welcomed them from afar. And they acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.

14Now those who say such things show that they are seeking a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them. ....39These were all commended for their faith, yet they did not receive what was promised. 40God had planned something better for us, so that together with us they would be made perfect.

God is not condemning their mistakes in the New Covenant or even the old because They did change. They obtained faith. The Old Testament often shows us the way NOT to live, but hte mercies of GOd still abound... Hebrews 12L1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off every encumbrance and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with endurance the race set out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

What God did for them, He can and will do for us.. if we believe. No longer let the past shackle you, but be free in the Son.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

John Tavner wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:42 pm I think it is interesting that we think God still condemns people for their past even after they've obtained faith ex: Sarah. She lied almost to the Lord's face, and didn't believe the Lord. The Lord dosn't "condemn" her for that. In fact she is later mentioned in the scriptures as having great faith : HEbrews 11:11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 12And so from one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

13All these people died in faith, without having received the things they were promised. However, they saw them and welcomed them from afar. And they acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.

14Now those who say such things show that they are seeking a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them. ....39These were all commended for their faith, yet they did not receive what was promised. 40God had planned something better for us, so that together with us they would be made perfect.

God is not condemning their mistakes in the New Covenant or even the old because They did change. They obtained faith. The Old Testament often shows us the way NOT to live, but hte mercies of GOd still abound... Hebrews 12L1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off every encumbrance and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with endurance the race set out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

What God did for them, He can and will do for us.. if we believe. No longer let the past shackle you, but be free in the Son.
Are you saying that we shouldn’t judge their actions and the supposed doctrine Brigham taught and future leaders espoused?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Chip wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:18 am There are 32,460 search results for polygamy on this forum. Perhaps you accidentally searched for a user named Polygamy.
In just over a year we have increased to 37,211. :)

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:48 pm
John Tavner wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:42 pm I think it is interesting that we think God still condemns people for their past even after they've obtained faith ex: Sarah. She lied almost to the Lord's face, and didn't believe the Lord. The Lord dosn't "condemn" her for that. In fact she is later mentioned in the scriptures as having great faith : HEbrews 11:11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 11By faith Sarah, even though she was barren and beyond the proper age, was enabled to conceive a child, because she considered Him faithful who had promised. 12And so from one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

Are you saying that we shouldn’t judge their actions and the supposed doctrine Brigham taught and future leaders espoused?
In the sense of judging their actions as right or wrong- no I"m not saying we shouldn't judge actions as right or wrong, but the story between them ins't about polygamy. The story is about the mercy of God - and how mistakes can be made right. That God can turn that which was made in the flesh in to good- faith is essential. In the end we see that God saw Abraham and Sarah as righteous - regardless of what they did do, because they changed and hoped and believed and their actions were a manifestation of that faith.

In my own personal opinion, I think the idea that one "Must" practice polygamy to inherit eternal life is absurd. That is a works based approach. On the other, I also think it is absurd (Not saying you are doing this) but for us to continue to condemn poepel who practiced polygamy who may have had a change of heart afterwards. I don't think God is going to force you to divorce someone who you already are connected with. I also don't believe one can truly practice polygamy without having had a some sort of adulterous spirit in their heart, UNLESS it truly was God who commanded it- and I suspect if "God" did command it, it is more a desire of the heart (adulterous spirit) You can't tell me Jacob wasn't lusting after Rachel after having been with Leah. I mean he spent 7 more years. Again though, I've had adulterous thoughts in my own heart so I'm not going to condemn him or what he did and all the trickery involved and We know God forgave Him, just as He has forgiven me.
Last edited by John Tavner on January 29th, 2023, 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

gruden2.0 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:29 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:15 pm

Many in the LDS church has a distorted view of Jacob 2. That think this gave Brigham full rights to implement such an abominable practice.
I've made very specific statements about Brigham, so I'm not going to re-hash them. Jacob certainly did condemn what David and Solomon did, and rightfully so. Brigham seems to have ignored the warnings and followed after them.
Brigham's polygamy has no resemblance to polygamy as described in Jacob 2.
They didn't kidnap concubines as spoils, they didn't allow strange wives cultures to corrupt their religion, they didn't do any of the condemned practices in scripture associated with polygamy.
We know what David and Solomon did wrong to get called out with the Nephites in Jacob 2.
Polygamy as practiced by Abraham and Jacob has never been condemned. As pointed out Abraham and Sarah were considered faithful.

If people can't see the difference between David/Solomon vs Abraham/Jacob they'll never understand Jacob 2 or polygamy.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

cab wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:27 pm I’m not condemning anyone.
You stated:
cab wrote:Perhaps it goes back to Adam and Eve (just as Adam was beguiled to partake of a something forbidden so that “man may be”, so did Abraham and Jacob enter into unsanctioned unions. Perhaps it goes all the way back to the watchers (exalted beings who went into unsanctioned unions). David too acted as a watcher with Bathsheba and went in unto her and “partook. I wonder if God’s people partaking in polygamy over time have made them unwitting participants in a type of sacramental re-enactment of the original fall of the Garden…
The Watchers were under specific command of what their role was, which was to protect humanity. The Book of Enoch specifically states the Watchers lusted after mortal women (chapter 6), and that they were perfectly aware that what they were about to do was a sin, because God had laid out exactly what their roles and bounds were, and they were in violation of it.

So, you're putting Abraham and Jacob on the same level as the Watchers. Maybe I should 'chill' because you haven't spent time reading the Book of Enoch and didn't understand what you were saying. Nevertheless, to put the two patriarchs on the same level as the Watchers is either careless or very poor judgment, because what the Watchers did was most certainly condemned by God, so you're basically condemning Abraham and Jacob by the same measure. You also put them on the same level as David, who coveted after a married woman, committed adultery with her, tried to cover it up and eventually conspired to murder her husband. Nathan came to him afterward and condemned him, as did God by cursing him that his kingship would pass to another. Did God curse Abraham and Jacob?

Yet you double-down on it, tell me to chill, and people thank you for it. Man, kinda troubling. Does no one read the scriptures?