Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

Post by Cruiserdude »

Elizabeth wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:08 am :) 38 days and nights water only.
You have??? How the heck??? Water only? No vitamins/minerals or any supplements? Have you already made up a post about it that I could read? Or would you wanna share the experience? If not, totally understandable. It just really helps motivate me hearing folks' experience with things 👍👍

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

Post by Elizabeth »

Yes, I have posted re my water only fasts in the past. :)
I have no addictions so it is easy for me, and enjoyable.
Just need to inform the body to not expect food.
Drink pure filtered water.
Cruiserdude wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:00 am
You have??? How the heck??? Water only? No vitamins/minerals or any supplements? Have you already made up a post about it that I could read? Or would you wanna share the experience? If not, totally understandable. It just really helps motivate me hearing folks' experience with things 👍👍

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Elizabeth wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:26 am Yes, I have posted re my water only fasts in the past. :)
Okay okay, if it was THAT easy everyone would do it, lol but I do understand what you're saying... this body is intended to be subject to us, the body to be commanded by our spirit, not the body telling the spirit what it needs, part of overcoming that natural man stuff....
But I'll definitely search out your posts on it🙏

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

48 hours no food or water + 24 hours water only. I was feeling pretty wobbly at the 48 hour mark water made things a lot better.

I thought that was pretty good, but some of the things you people have done are amazing. I'm blown away.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

I did a water fast. I had to stop after 6 days because I received inspiration that I was not getting enough electrolytes. Starting at day 3, your digestive system shuts down and you are no longer hungry or desiring food. I wanted to eat only because the clock said it was time for a meal. I had a surge of energy after the 3rd day and felt great. Lasted a day or so then back to a weaker than normal condition but not bad. I lost 18 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years. It reset my body and got rid of my craving for sugar. I found that I now eat meals that are half their previous size and I am full. I suffered from Hypoglycemia but that went away after the water fast. My sense of smell was greatly enhanced during the fast and I could smell the type of salad dressing on a salad being eaten 20 feet away.

My wife had to stop after 3 days because her body started to shut down on day 4. Its not for everyone and listen to the spirit.
Getting off a water fast is harder than starting one. We started eating watermelon for the first day to wake up our digestive system slowly.

I suggest taking plenty of electrolytes if doing a water fast. My second time was better when I took electrolyte pills--salt, potassium, calcium, magnesium. I am thinking of doing it again because I have put on some weight this winter while being retired, staying inside and spending too much time on this forum.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Why 38 days?

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Fasting gives you spiritual power. It reduces the effects of the mind control. It helps you see clearly God's Truth.

It helps you be humble.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

Cruiserdude wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:47 am
Elizabeth wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:26 am Yes, I have posted re my water only fasts in the past. :)
Okay okay, if it was THAT easy everyone would do it, lol but I do understand what you're saying... this body is intended to be subject to us, the body to be commanded by our spirit, not the body telling the spirit what it needs, part of overcoming that natural man stuff....
It's actually easier than you might think (I've only gone 7 days fasting myself, so I'm not a big-timer who's hit 40 days). After 3 days, your body's hunger pangs die down to almost nothing. That first day is the hardest though. I recommend a 3 day fast for pretty much anyone; it will allow your entire gastric system to reset and you'll even produce fresh stem cells, it's also great for building up your immune system.

This isn't the same thing at all, but I intermittent-fast every day. Meaning I only eat food between the hours of 2pm - 10pm. This doesn't have the same health benefits as a real fast, but it does allow our digestive system to 'catch up' instead of constantly being overworked.

I learned all about the benefits of fasting a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer in my tongue. I did about 30 different protocols, and fasting was one of them. Cancer free now.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Stupid question to people who live in colder, damper places. How do you stay warm? If I don't eat for a day or two I feel freezing. It might be poor circulation!

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Lineman1012 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:24 am
tmac wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:32 am I agree. I have fasted 72+ hours quite a few times. I realize that not everyone may be able to do that, but at this point I don’t consider skipping two meals to be a real fast. I don’t have time to elaborate right now, and maybe it’s just me, but in terms of the real spiritual reasons/benefits of fasting, for me 24 hours doesn’t even really make a dent.
Exactly, and after I did a few 72 hour fasts it amazed me just how much excess food we do eat. I bet we could all eat about 25% of our normal diets and be just fine.

Food aside, the spiritual benefits really outweigh the physical discomfort.

once one realizes that “3 meals a day”, and numerous other common cliches concerning food & eating are quite recent constructs, well at least for me……i could see “conspiring men” fingerprints all over the food, nutrition, diet….etc subject.

i’d be willing to raise ur “25%” level, a good bit higher & wager that people in general would be much healthier?

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Niemand wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:25 pm Stupid question to people who live in colder, damper places. How do you stay warm? If I don't eat for a day or two I feel freezing. It might be poor circulation!

that is a “side effect” that some experience, it’s also a side effect from not eating meat, one that i have experienced often being meatless now 8 years…..

i can’t say that extended fasting has made the “cold” feeling worse though for me?

even though i do feel colder over the past 8 years, it’s odd as it’s only an indoor phenomena in my case, being outside hasn’t changed for me, and i never had a problem handling cold temps before or since?

good question, i hope someone has an answer

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:16 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:47 am

It's actually easier than you might think (I've only gone 7 days fasting myself, so I'm not a big-timer who's hit 40 days). After 3 days, your body's hunger pangs die down to almost nothing. That first day is the hardest though. I recommend a 3 day fast for pretty much anyone; it will allow your entire gastric system to reset and you'll even produce fresh stem cells, it's also great for building up your immune system.

This isn't the same thing at all, but I intermittent-fast every day. Meaning I only eat food between the hours of 2pm - 10pm. This doesn't have the same health benefits as a real fast, but it does allow our digestive system to 'catch up' instead of constantly being overworked.

I learned all about the benefits of fasting a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer in my tongue. I did about 30 different protocols, and fasting was one of them. Cancer free now.
Wow, that's great to hear about the cancer-free and I believe you that your fasting helped it.
I'm familiar with intermittent fasting as well. Lots and lots of health benefits to it. I do a lot of that as well and I can understand my body much much better.... I'm tempted to try one of these long long fasts like others have done. And I really desire it for the spiritual side of it, the intermittent fasting and my lifestyle keep me relatively healthy physically.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Niemand wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:25 pm Stupid question to people who live in colder, damper places. How do you stay warm? If I don't eat for a day or two I feel freezing. It might be poor circulation!
In Finland there is a saying

"There is no such thing as bad weather just poor clothes or being poorly dressed".

Layers.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

You're not joking! I experience this too! What I do, even if it's freezing out, get out and go brisk walk, if it's a day I'm stuck inside. I'll also do air squats, jumping Jack's, etc anything to get the heart pumping. Most days I'm out and about, but I have noticed direct correlation between not having calories in my stomach for my body to digest and create heat, with being cold....

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Niemand wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:07 am I know someone who is going to fast for four or five days soon.
I have fasted for 5 days a couple of years ago. It was for health reasons and it worked! However, I had no idea how weak I would be by day 3 through 5. And I started to get the strangest food cravings....like corn dogs, which I didn't really like until I started the fast. (Go figure!). I did drink low-sugar electrolytes and a lot of water during the fast.

Ferrisbueller
captain of 100

Post by Ferrisbueller »

Yes I have. You really get no spiritual benefit if you don’t fast for at least 24 hours. I implement water after 26-28 hours because I get these electrical shocks from dehydration. The longer I fast the answer gets more and more solid with absolutely no doubt in my mind what I should do at that moment.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

mtmom wrote: January 28th, 2023, 1:06 pm
Niemand wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:07 am I know someone who is going to fast for four or five days soon.
I have fasted for 5 days a couple of years ago. It was for health reasons and it worked! However, I had no idea how weak I would be by day 3 through 5. And I started to get the strangest food cravings....like corn dogs, which I didn't really like until I started the fast. (Go figure!). I did drink low-sugar electrolytes and a lot of water during the fast.
In order to do this I may have to time it so that it doesn't clash with other things.

I know what you mean about strange food cravings. I visited Nepal many years ago, and found myself wanting strawberries! I rarely eat them these days, but when I was bang in the middle of the Himalayas it was what my body craved!!!

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

solonan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:17 am I did 72 hours with just water. I was seeking the Lord as well. It took awhile to recover for me. Now my body goes to total rejection at 24. I must of done it wrong.
I've done 24 days. A dry fast - no water - is equivalent to 3 days, so from a biological perspective it was about 30 days. Toward the end I experienced low blood pressure and once after I stood up too quickly collapsed on the floor. Shortly thereafter the wife said it was coming to an end. What I discovered later is that my body had a great need for electrolytes and Vitamin B1, which get depleted during a fast. The guy quoted above who went nearly a year without food did take some electrolytes and tea, so it wasn't a water-only fast.

There are many forms of fasting, don't get too dogmatic about it. My wife can't do water fasting either, but bone broth fasts work well for her and are a great choice. If you make homemade broth you can throw in vegetables to give your body the minerals and electrolytes it needs. I'm probably going to do another long one soon, I will make sure to get some electrolytes (primarily salt and potassium) to keep the electrical system running properly. There's a number of ways to approach it, which can include intermittent fasting, limiting yourself to a 4-6 hour daily windows for eating for example.

Fasting is an expression of the law of sacrifice, so that's something important to keep in mind. You can offer many things to the Lord, like abstaining from social media for a month if that's a big deal for you. Anything that has some meaning (or addiction) for you can work. The thing to keep in mind is the blessing will be commensurate with the sacrifice. That's why food is at the top of the list, because it's something we both need and crave. There's so much research available now about the benefits of fasting. People have healed themselves of some very acute conditions doing it, which is why the medical establishment discourages it, frightening people away that it's bad for you. You do need to take care if you go for longer periods of times than you're accustomed, so gradually work up to it, but the truth is the body is very well adapted for fasting as it was very common for our ancestors to experience times of food scarcity.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

mtmom wrote: January 28th, 2023, 1:06 pm
I would suggest avoiding any sweeteners, whether natural or artificial as they can halt the body's adjustment into ketosis (and are counter-productive to fasts in other ways as well, especially the artificial ones), which is important. Dr. Berg and Thomas DeLauer have YT channels with in-depth discussions of what things can break a fast and should be avoided that I highly recommend looking into.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

1775peasant wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:41 pm
Lineman1012 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:24 am
tmac wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:32 am I agree. I have fasted 72+ hours quite a few times. I realize that not everyone may be able to do that, but at this point I don’t consider skipping two meals to be a real fast. I don’t have time to elaborate right now, and maybe it’s just me, but in terms of the real spiritual reasons/benefits of fasting, for me 24 hours doesn’t even really make a dent.
Exactly, and after I did a few 72 hour fasts it amazed me just how much excess food we do eat. I bet we could all eat about 25% of our normal diets and be just fine.

Food aside, the spiritual benefits really outweigh the physical discomfort.

once one realizes that “3 meals a day”, and numerous other common cliches concerning food & eating are quite recent constructs, well at least for me……i could see “conspiring men” fingerprints all over the food, nutrition, diet….etc subject.

i’d be willing to raise ur “25%” level, a good bit higher & wager that people in general would be much healthier?
Ok I’ll go 50% - we could survive on 50% of what we currently eat. Watch others around you as you fast for 3 days. It seem like all they do is eat.

Also if you walk past a hamburger joint when you’re into fasting 2 days or more, you’ll be able to feel the grease in the air. It makes me sick to think that I use to eat in there.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Sincere question for all those who have replied that they did extended fasting while "seeking the Lord".

Did you find the experience you were looking for?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

blitzinstripes wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:28 pm Sincere question for all those who have replied that they did extended fasting while "seeking the Lord".

Did you find the experience you were looking for?
Experiences were abundant, but many years passed before things began to make ultimate sense.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:51 am Maybe I already started. :?

Maybe I’ll begin next Thursday after the evening meal. :idea:
I'm trying to remember my longest fast. I think it was 10 days. My fasts that extend over days are not religious fasts, though. They are for improving my health.

I always drink water every day when I fast. Also, electrolytes are necessary (salt/sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium).

And if you fast for longer than 3 days, start eating again very slowly so you don't get sick.

Maybe all of this has already been said; I haven't read any of the posts in the thread but this one.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Fast during warmer months.

Feeling colder while fasting is normal.