❝A Bizarre Incident of a Sasquatch Conversing with a Native American: Do Sasquatch Have a Language?❞

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

❝A Bizarre Incident of a Sasquatch Conversing with a Native American: Do Sasquatch Have a Language?❞

Post by sushi_chef »

"Mysterious Universe
Jan 05, 2023
A Bizarre Incident of a Sasquatch Conversing with a Native American: Do Sasquatch Have a Language?

The epicenter of Sasquatch sightings is the Harrison River Valley in south-western British Columbia, roughly 130 km east of Vancouver. The hilly region is blanketed by dense, unexplored forests which stretch all the way to the snow-capped Mountains on the Pacific shore. Innumerable Sasquatch sightings have been reported near the town of Harrison Hot Springs over the past century. Roughly 6 kms to the north of the town is the Sasquatch National Park – the proverbial home of the Bigfoot.The people of the West Coast First Nations, particularly the Sts'ailes, regard Sasquatch as a sacred animal. Long before TV shows popularized the creature, the Sts'ailes passed down songs and stories about “sasq'ets”, a supernatural slollicum, or shapeshifter, that protects the land and people. The term Sasquatch is the anglicised version of sasq'ets, which means “hairy man” in Halq'emeylem, the Sts'ailes upriver dialect.

Of all the weird and frightening tales about Sasquatch that have been related over the years, one of the strangest was recorded by J.W. Burns, an Indian Agent of the Canadian government. In 1929, Burns published an article in Maclean's magazine titled “Introducing B.C.'s Hairy Giants”.[1] He wrote that these stories were shared by the Sts'ailes community members he had befriended over the past three years. In many ways, the article presented Sasquatch to the rest of Canada, and the Bigfoot phenomenon took off from there.One of the stories was related to Burns by an old man called Charley Victor, who was quite the hunter in his youth. He belonged to the Skwah Reserve near Chilliwack in British Columbia. Charley indicated to Burns that this particular incident he was going to narrate was not one that he liked to remember, for it was a tragedy from which he had not yet fully recovered.

Charley told Burns that nearly fifteen years ago, he had been hunting in the mountains near Ilatzic with his dog, when he came out on a plateau where there were several big cedar trees. The dog seemed to be particularly drawn to a specific tree. He stood under the tree and began to growl and bark at it. Charley noticed that the tree had a large hole in its trunk, roughly seven feet above the ground. The dog pawed and leaped upon the trunk, trying to reach it. Charley raised the dog up, and he went into the hole.

The next moment a muffled cry came from the hole. Charley thought it could be a bear, and urged the dog to drive it out. As soon it came out of the hole, Charley shot at it, and it fell to the ground with a thud. Almost immediately Charley realized his mistake. For it was no bear, but a white boy, around twelve to fourteen years old. He looked wild and uncivilized, with a head full of black and woolly hair. Charley, quite understandably, was shocked and alarmed. Had he murdered a little boy? What on earth was he doing inside a tree trunk in the middle of the forest? Had he run away from home? Is this how kids bunk school these day?

This was just the preamble. Charley had no idea about the weird sequence of events that were about to unfold. It was a story straight out of the Mowgli or Tarzan storybook series.

“Wounded and bleeding, the poor fellow sprawled upon the ground, hut when I drew close to examine the extent of his injury, he let out a wild yell, or rather a call as if he were appealing for help. From across the mountain a long way off rolled a booming voice. Near and more near came the voice and every now and again the boy would return an answer as if directing the owner of the voice. Less than a half-hour, out from the depths of the forest came the strangest and wildest creature one could possibly see.I raised my rifle, not to shoot, but in case I would have to defend myself. The hairy creature, for that was what it was, walked toward me without the slightest fear. The wild person was a woman. Her face was almost negro black and her long straight hair fell to her waist. In height she would be about six feet, but her chest and shoulders were well above the average in breadth.”

Charley told Burns that he had encountered many wild animals during his adventurous life as a hunter, and in more than one emergency he had even strangled a bear with his bare hands, but never before had he set his eyes on anything as savage in appearance as this woman. She sent a shiver a fear down his spine. He was sure if that wild woman laid her hands on him, she would crush every bone in his body. But the object of her attention was the boy Charley had injured.“

She cast a hasty glance at the boy. Her face took on a demoniacal expression when she saw he was bleeding. She turned upon me savagely, and in the Douglas tongue said: “You have shot my friend.”I explained in the same language— for I’m part Douglas myself—that I had mistaken the boy for a bear and that I was sorry. She did not reply, but began a sort of wild frisk or dance around the boy, chanting in a loud voice for a minute or two, and, as if in answer to her, from the distant woods came the same sort of chanting troll. In her hand she carried something like a snake, about six feet in length, but thinking over the matter since, I believe it was the intestine of some animal. But whatever it was, she constantly struck the ground with it. She picked up the boy with one hairy hand, with as much ease as if he had been a wax doll.”

At this point, Charley paused for a while, possibly wondering in his mind whether he should continue with the story or not, given its rather outlandish nature, thus far. Then he suddenly looked up at Burns, and said with a grin: “Perhaps I better tell you the rest of it, although I know you'll not believe it.”

“There was challenge of defiance in her black eyes and dark looks as she faced and spoke to me a second time and the dreadful words she used set me shaking…they still ring round my old ears like the echo of a thunder-storm. She pointed the snake-like thing at me and said: “Siwash, you’ll never kill another bear!””

Charley was so overcome with trepidation at her words, expressions, and the savage avenging glint in her dark, fiery eyes that his rifle dropped from his hands. His brave dog, who never shied away from giving the chase to any bear or cougar in the wild, lay whimpering at his feet, almost as if he understood what she was saying. Charley confessed to Burns with moistened eyes that, he had not shot a bear or anything else since that fatal day. In fact, for the last eight years Charley had been paralyzed (the event occurred fifteen years ago), and he believed that the wild woman who threatened him had something to do with it.

Charly was quite certain that the boy did not belong to the Sasquatch people, for he told Burns that “he was white and she called him her friend”. “They must have stolen him or run across him in some other way,” he added. He further confided to Burns that, “it is my own opinion that, because she spoke the Douglas tongue, these creatures must be related to the Indian.”

This is a rather incredible story and makes one wonder to what extent it could be true. The Sasquatch bringing up a human kid – who they might have snatched, or simply found lost in the forest – is not as unbelievable as it might appear, for the character of Mowgli in Rudyard Kipling’s famous work, The Jungle Book, was also inspired by a real-life story. Dina Sanichar was the Indian wolf-boy of the 19th century who had been raised by wolves. In 1872, Dina Sanichar was discovered by a group of hunters in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. The boy was walking on all fours and was following a pack of wolves. After that, the boy, along with his companions, retreated into a den. The hunters were mystified and were determined to get their hands on the boy. They set the cave on fire, and when the wolves and the boy finally came out, the hunters killed the wolves and took the boy with them. Dina Sanichar was six years old years old when he was rescued and taken to an orphanage.

However, all his life, Sanichar struggled to read, write or speak like humans. Aalthough, eventually, he learned to walk on two legs, he struggled with wearing clothes and preferred to be naked. Interestingly, around the time of Dina’s discovery, four other feral wolf children were also reported in India, and over the years, there were many more of these cases. Rudyard Kipling’s book was published nearly 20 years after the discovery of the wolf-boy, and although Kipling does not explicitly say so, it is believed that he was inspired by Dina Sanichar’s story.[2]

Coming back to Charley Victor’s anecdote, what is probably most bizarre is his claim that the female Sasquatch spoke to him in the Douglas dialect. That is probably a bit too much to digest even for the most open-minded investigator of mysteries - at least at first glance. So many questions come up. Do Sasquatch’s speak like humans? How did the female Sasquatch learn the Douglas dialect? Did she snatch the little kid’s grammar book when she stole him from his house? Or has she been attending the local school in disguise?Before proceeding further, let me add that the Douglas dialect is spoken by the Douglas First Nation (Xa’xtsa) which is located roughly 10 km south of Harrison Hot Springs, and not very far from the Skwah Reserve to which Charley Victor belonged. Although Charley’s language was Halq'emeylem, he claimed that he could understand the Douglas dialect because he was part Douglas. The raging question is: Can Sasquatch converse in a human language?

Over the years, many people have reported hearing different types of Bigfoot vocalizations such as whoops, guttural growls, grunts, howls, screams and whistles in addition to other sounds made by Bigfoot such as wood knocks, rock knocks etc. The most famous recorded evidence of Bigfoot sounds is the “Sierra Sounds” tapes, also known as the Berry/Morehead tapes (click to listen 1, 2, 3). They are regarded as the gold-standard of evidence for a Bigfoot language, and constitute one of the most important pieces of evidence supporting the existence of Bigfoot.During a number of expeditions to the woods of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in eastern California, between the years 1972-1975, to explore mysterious noises reported by a group of hunters, Ronald Morehead and his long time friend Al Berry collected a series of Bigfoot vocalizations. They recorded a total of 90 minutes of Bigfoot vocalizations using a microphone dangled from a tree branch attached to a reel-to-reel recorder. In some portions of the Sierra Sounds tape, the Bigfoot vocalizations sound almost like a human language. These sounds are generally referred to as “samurai chatter” because of their uncanny similarity to the expressive style found in old samurai movies, such as those by Kurosawa. Many experts have listened to the tapes over the years and admitted that these sounds simply cannot be hoaxed, for they cannot be produced by the vocal chords of humans or any other known animal of the American continent.

In a recent program aired on the History Channel in 2022 [3], three experts studied the Sierra Sounds very carefully to determine who made them. The experts consulted were Zoologist Roxy Furman, Soundscape Ecologist Dr. Ben Gottesman and Anthropologist Cathy Strain. Roxy Furman’s said that, “the sound is pretty loud and is quite low pitched in frequency and so it travels far...so it’s likely it came from a large animal.” Dr. Ben Gottesman did a spectral analysis of the guttural grunts, whooping and chatter, and concluded: “If this is produced by a single creature there is just a remarkable acoustic diversity that this alleged species has. If they are an animal, I can’t confidently point to one, especially one that is native to North America.” Cathy Strain added, “I do not believe that it is possible for this to be human because it has a great variance in going to very high pitch down to a very low growl all within seconds. We are not capable of that without blowing out our vocal chords. My conclusion is that they are real recordings of Bigfoot and I base that on knowing how remote that location was and the impossibility for another human or other thing to have made those sounds.”

So there we go. The Sierra Sounds are real, and were not produced any known animal native to North America. Since very similar sounds have also been heard by many other Bigfoot researchers, it provides an undeniable scientific proof that Bigfoot exists!

But what about the language? Do Bigfoot talk to each other using words? This is where Scott Nelson comes in. Scott is a retired U.S. Navy Crypto-linguist who speaks Russian, Spanish and Persian. He has logged thousands of hours of voice transcription in his target languages. In an interview on the UFO HUB Youtube channel, [4] Scott said that he was never really interested in Sasquatch during the time he was working in the Navy. His involvement in Bigfoot research occurred quite by accident. When his son was about 12 years old, Scott was helping him to write a research paper on Sasquatch for a school project. While googling information to find out what Bigfoot sounds like, Scott was led to a page on the BFRO website to a link that said “samurai chatter”. Scott was mesmerized by what he heard. He recognized in these sounds, “vocalizations, in which were evident language articulations.” He played it over and over again, and finally told his son Steven, “there’s language in these sounds…there’s absolutely, definitely a language being articulated here. But its not human.”

That’s what started Scott on the whole Bigfoot thing. He started reading a lot of books about Bigfoot, but in none of them he found even a mention that Bigfoot might have language. He met Al Berry and Ron Moorehead in California, and after they saw the work Scott had done on their Sierra Sounds tapes, their immediate reactions was, “We have been looking for you for 35 years!”

Scott has created a transcription of the Sierra Sounds recording, and broken down the complex sounds into morphemes. A morpheme is the smallest unit of a language that has meaning. For instance, the words “the”, “in” consist of one morpheme, while the word “incoming” has three morphemes – “in”, “come”, and “ing”. A transcription of the Berry/Morehead tape 1, along with a phonetic alphabet, can be read here.[5] Of course, Scott does not know what is exactly being said by the Sasquatch on the tapes, for he does not know what the morphemes mean. The good thing is that, Scott’s transcription is getting the attention of mainstream academics. In a paper published in The RELICT HOMINOID INQUIRY journal, Ronald Cosper, Adjunct Professor of Linguistics and Sociology at Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Canada, wrote that,

“The most extensive transcript we have of purported sasquatch communication is the set of recordings made in the Sierra Mountains of California by Al Berry and Ron Morehead, and subsequently transcribed and analyzed by cryptolinguist Scott Nelson…These sequences of sounds that Nelson has identified as morphemes are really more properly called “syllables.” Since we do not know whether specifically defined meanings are associated with these syllables, we cannot call them “morphemes” with any assurance. I admire Nelson’s perseverance and skill at transcribing these unusual sounds.”[6]

I think that is an fair and insightful observation from a career linguist. These sounds are more properly “syllables” at this stage, and they can be called “morphemes” only when we are able associate a meaning to them. But how do we go about doing that? This is where the anecdote narrated by Charley Victor to J. W. Burns comes in.

According to Charley, the Sasquatch woman had spoken to him in the Douglas dialect. If that is true, then the morphemes identified by Scott in the Sierra Sounds tapes should match with some of the morphemes of the Douglas dialect. If that turns out to be the case, it might even be possible to translate portions of the Sierra Sounds transcriptions. Of course, I am assuming that the Sasquatch of British Columbia speak the same language as the Sasquatch of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, where the Sierra Sounds tapes were recorded. That may not necessarily be the case. Sasquatch could have different dialects in different regions, just like us. However, the Douglas dialect is a good place to start, and in case it does not yield good results, the comparisons could be extended to the languages spoken by the Miwok people who live in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

The Native American languages - much like Sasquatch vocalizations - are rich in gutturals and have complex phonetics. So, it’s possible, as Charley Victor had claimed, that Sasquatch language is related to those of the Amerindian tribes. It’s definitely an idea worth checking out.

The only person with the knowledge and interest to explore this idea is, of course, Scott Nelson. So, I am going to drop him an email with a link to this article, asking him what he thinks of this suggestion and if this is something that he could investigate. If I hear back from him, I shall certainly post an update at a later date. If all goes well, the day may not be far when Sasquatch Language is offered as an elective in high school. That would be a fun class for sure, that nobody will ever want to miss!

References[1] J. W. BURNS, "Introducing B. C.’s Hairy Giants", Maclean's magazine, April 1 1929, https://archive.macleans.ca/article/192 ... iry-giants
[2] Julija Svidrait?, Meet The Real-Life Mowgli, The Boy Who In 1872 Was Found Living In Jungle, BoredPanda, https://www.boredpanda.com/real-life-mo ... gn=organic
[3] 4 SHOCKING BIGFOOT SIGHTINGS, History Channel, July 16, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Ghi7MUk1E
[4] Bigfoot Speaks - Scott Nelson, UFO HUB, Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylxyb97kaMU
[5] http://sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.co ... uatch.html
[6] Ronald Cosper, The RELICT HOMINOID INQUIRY 7:135-138 (2018), https://www.isu.edu/media/libraries/rhi ... Cosper.pdf
"
https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2023/01/ ... Language-/
:arrow:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: ❝A Bizarre Incident of a Sasquatch Conversing with a Native American: Do Sasquatch Have a Language?❞

Post by Niemand »

I went to a talk the other day which mentioned this. The speakers was saying the traditional 'Squatch was less ape-like and used to talk to people and the natives said that they used to see them gathering from their fires. The modern sightings never mention fires....

It was an interesting talk. Among the suggestions is that some native Americans and Canadians had avoided white contact for far longer than given credit for. Some Quebecois also went up into the hills to escape WW1 recruitment. But he was also saying some of the natives in Canada had stories of degenerated whites who lived up in the north west and were sometimes said to be cannibalistic. This may be based on stories of old gold miners. The Nahanni Valley, a "warm" valley (i.e. with hit springs) up in NW Canada was notorious for this, and a number of people were found beheaded round there.

All very odd. I believe the part about First Nations hiding away. There were Aborigines hiding around the nuclear test sites in Australia that the white government only found out about later (or so they said). Some bands in Australia were only contacted in the seventies supposedly.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Re: ❝A Bizarre Incident of a Sasquatch Conversing with a Native American: Do Sasquatch Have a Language?❞

Post by Atrasado »

I think that there is too much evidence for Sasquatches to think that they don't exist. I've read some pretty freaky tales about them.

In one, a native American young woman was abducted by a family of them to serve as a wife for their son. She got pregnant, but the Sasquatches realized that she wouldn't ever be happy living with them and took her back to her tribe. She gave birth soon after, and the baby, which was different than any they had before seen died, but she survived. I think this one was likely true.

The other was about a team of US government cave cartographers who came upon the living room of some Sasquatches. It was filled with backpacks, camping paraphernalia, and body parts. They heard something approaching from a side cave and ran. The woman telling the story fell into a small side cavern and the creatures followed her. After three days and several close calls she got out. Later she was told in her debriefing to never talk about what she saw. That one I'm not so sure about. It might have happened, but there's only one witness.

In any case, I'm a curious guy that would love to learn the truth about such things, but preferably from a distance.
Last edited by Atrasado on January 25th, 2023, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

According to animal communicators, different species communicate to each other through something like a two-way television connection. Humans lack this ability but some don't. I have worked with horses and horse people and have met many people who hear horses communicate with them. They hear grammatically correct sentences. Horses consider humans retarded, since we don't converse in the "normal" way. My theory is that, since horses are one of the most intuitive animals on the planet, they access our "memory banks" and dumb down their communications to our level, that we will understand.

Sasquatch seem to be very intuitive. They seem to keep their distance to avoid harm to or from humans.

An elderly lady I know told me about her daughter's experience in the Northwest. She and her friend were setting up camp on a Sunday afternoon, when the other campers were leaving or had left. She heard a clacking sound and in the direction of the sound saw a large hairy creature squatting under a tree and tapping two rocks together. He stared at her the whole time. She yelled at her friend to get in the car. They quickly got in the car and as they began driving, the creature started running alongside, never breaking eye contact. The two girls reported the incident to a park official. The official said that someone had been 'torn to pieces' in that area.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Atrasado wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:42 pm I think that there is too much evidence for Sasquatches to think that they don't exist.
In any case, I'm a curious guy that would love to learn the truth about such things, but preferably from a distance.
Same. I've read hundreds of accounts, and watched many dozens of videos on the subject, and a good many of them strike me as genuine. Some are obviously fake, but that doesn't dissuade me from the many more encounters that I can find no fault or fabrication in.

I'm especially impressed with the countless stories told in Indian tribes from all over the U.S. and Canada, from hundreds of years ago (so, no 'modern-day' influence). Our youngest son served his mission in far northern California (prime Squatch country), and spent a lot of time with the Hoopa (Hupa) Tribe, who he grew to love deeply - and vice versa (they even made him an honorary member, which touched him greatly). One day, they took him and his companion to their 'sacred circle', or temple area where, usually, only tribe members are allowed. They had stories of Sasquatch that they all took as absolute fact from their ancestors - and from current members of the tribe. It's a 'given' to them that these beings exist. They do not refer to them as 'animals', which is interesting (neither do I, FWIW). It is understood that the tribe members stay in the valleys and lower foothills, and the Sasquatch stay up in the mountains - all is well when these 'rules' are held to.

Anyway, have to admit it is a subject that holds a great deal of interest for me - not really sure why. But I do believe they exist (all over the world, in one size or another), and also, that there is some kind of supernatural element to them. Too many believable stories of a person seeing one and it just turns and disappears into thin air, or pixilates out (think Predator). High strangeness, for sure. Hopefully, answers will come one day!

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Interesting sounds! :o