Should you validate a person's belief even if you think it's wrong? (POLL)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Should you validate a person's belief even if you think it's wrong?

Yes
2%
No
80%
Other
17%

Total votes: 46
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Should you validate a person's belief even if you think it's wrong? (POLL)

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

This is an interesting question posed by a friend of mine while discussing "transgenderism" - My friend believes that you should validate a person in their own beliefs even if they are "outside the truth" in his view. On the other hand, I believe that it's harmful to validate a person's beliefs if they are "outside the truth"... aka false beliefs.

What are your thoughts?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Should you validate a person's belief even if you think it's wrong? (POLL)

Post by endlessQuestions »

This is "therapist talk".

Which doesn't mean it's "bad".

But it requires a certain subtle redefining of the word validate in order for it to make sense.

Which feels kind of icky.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

validate

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Only if they’re four and still believe in Thee Easter Bunny. :!:

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:15 pm This is "therapist talk".

Which doesn't mean it's "bad".

But it requires a certain subtle redefining of the word validate in order for it to make sense.

Which feels kind of icky.
IMO as soon as you have to redefine words in order to make it make sense, you’re off the path of truth.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:54 pm This is an interesting question posed by a friend of mine while discussing "transgenderism" - My friend believes that you should validate a person in their own beliefs even if they are "outside the truth" in his view. On the other hand, I believe that it's harmful to validate a person's beliefs if they are "outside the truth"... aka false beliefs.

What are your thoughts?
You should lovely help them with the words of the savior. Matthew 5:

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

To say yea yea to their beliefs means you agree with it.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Bronco73idi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:40 pm You should lovely help them with the words of the savior. Matthew 5:

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

To say yea yea to their beliefs means you agree with it.
Yea yea.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:54 pm This is an interesting question posed by a friend of mine while discussing "transgenderism" - My friend believes that you should validate a person in their own beliefs even if they are "outside the truth" in his view. On the other hand, I believe that it's harmful to validate a person's beliefs if they are "outside the truth"... aka false beliefs.

What are your thoughts?
Never validate falsehoods. It also falls under standing for truth and right at all times and in all places.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

I suppose other means maybe or sometimes? I still vote no, not ever. Not even for santa claus.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:40 pm I suppose other means maybe or sometimes? I still vote no, not ever. Not even for santa claus.
Next you'll be telling me the Flintstones wasn't real.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Why don't they have to validate your belief? It cuts both ways, and reveals bias.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

The truth is no respector of persons. Doesn't matter if it "offends" you.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I marked other. I do not validate, but I thank them for giving me something to ponder and research.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

validate
1a : to make legally valid : RATIFY

b : to grant official sanction to by marking validated her passport

c : to confirm the validity of (an election) also : to declare (a person) elected

2a : to support or corroborate on a sound or authoritative basis, experiments designed to validate the hypothesis

b : to recognize, establish, or illustrate the worthiness or legitimacy of

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I said other. At this point, and if this actually happens I may do so something else as guided by the Spirit, if my son or daughter came out as trans I would not start calling them my daughter if they were my son, or vice versa. I would not use wrong pronouns. I would, however, use the new firat name they chose, out of respect and because you cannot build a relationship of trust or have any communication without that, imo.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

What are your thoughts?
No. That’s a leftist tactic known as Fabianism.

I don’t see leftist people trying to validate people who want to build a wall. It’s always you must accept my worldview or you’re a bigot. Then when it comes to others World view they start cussing, threatening to kill people, etc.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Someone voted yes, and I'd like to understand why. My friend's answer was based upon the preservation of feelings, but as Ben Shapiro said: "Facts don't care about your feelings"... If there is a legitimate reason to validate incorrect beliefs then I hope someone will be willing to share.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I was in a situation with a loved one who I knew (but she didn’t know I knew) that she had been sexually abused by her brother (he told me & felt bad & thought that’s why she turned to homosexuality). I tried to empathize with her, while stating basically that feelings do not change biological facts & that we are not born wanting sex as babies - sexual disorders are learned.

It wasn’t taken well & I think it’s partly my lack of sensitivity in the matter (having been bullied by homosexuality fanatics, bluntness), and partly her issues (BPD, appeal to emotion & emotional reasoning etc).

I’m far from it, but the ideal I hope for is to really listen to someone I disagree with - so that they feel heard and empathized with… while asserting my beliefs, facts as clearly yet compassionately as possible while also being open to learn, and ending the discussion with both having a sense of benefit from the conversation.

Valo
captain of 100

Re: validate

Post by Valo »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:34 pm Only if they’re four and still believe in Thee Easter Bunny. :!:
:!: Bunny Easter Thee in believe still and four they're if only.

Last edited by Valo on January 25th, 2023, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:34 pm Only if they’re four and still believe in Thee Easter Bunny. :!:
I don't even think in that scenario the validation will be beneficial. If it's a wrong ideology, why start them young?

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:02 pm
I don't even think in that scenario the validation will be beneficial. If it's a wrong ideology, why start them young?
Because playing games of pretend are good and useful and its not the same as lying.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Valo wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:29 pm
Because playing games of pretend are good and useful and its not the same as lying.

I suppose that's where the line should be drawn. But what if your child literally believes in a fat man traveling through the sky who gives them presents? It's important to distinguish pretend from reality.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:24 pm
Valo wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:29 pm

I suppose that's where the line should be drawn. But what if your child literally believes in a fat man traveling through the sky who gives them presents? It's important to distinguish pretend from reality.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

What are your thoughts?
Ask your friend if he should agree with the anorexic, 75-pound female who tells him she is "fat". Should he encourage her to get a gastric bypass, start a running program, and begin a new calorie-restrictive diet?

It's the same thing as telling transgender-minded people that they're right and we will all call you by the wrong pronoun.

When every cell in your body is XY except half of your sperm and you believe you're a female ... that's mental illness. Validating it only makes you a participant.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:31 am Someone voted yes, and I'd like to understand why. My friend's answer was based upon the preservation of feelings, but as Ben Shapiro said: "Facts don't care about your feelings"... If there is a legitimate reason to validate incorrect beliefs then I hope someone will be willing to share.

Full disclosure: I voted "OTHER," because there are some instances where people can hold incorrect beliefs and they can still be supported, but there are other instances where those that hold incorrect beliefs conspire to harm and kill those with correct beliefs. We see this structure in the Book of Mormon where no laws were held against peoples' beliefs, but when people tried enforcing them through the sword, they were executed.

There are some beliefs that are had by groups that are not precisely correct, but deep down they are correct (albeit a lack of understanding stops some from seeing the bigger picture).

I humbly submit this Youtube video done by an UAE influencer called Khalid Al Ameri. Both sides show their differences and their similarities, and they can still be friends.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Subcomandante wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:12 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:31 am Someone voted yes, and I'd like to understand why. My friend's answer was based upon the preservation of feelings, but as Ben Shapiro said: "Facts don't care about your feelings"... If there is a legitimate reason to validate incorrect beliefs then I hope someone will be willing to share.

Full disclosure: I voted "OTHER," because there are some instances where people can hold incorrect beliefs and they can still be supported, but there are other instances where those that hold incorrect beliefs conspire to harm and kill those with correct beliefs. We see this structure in the Book of Mormon where no laws were held against peoples' beliefs, but when people tried enforcing them through the sword, they were executed.

There are some beliefs that are had by groups that are not precisely correct, but deep down they are correct (albeit a lack of understanding stops some from seeing the bigger picture).

I humbly submit this Youtube video done by an UAE influencer called Khalid Al Ameri. Both sides show their differences and their similarities, and they can still be friends.
Being kind is different than validating. Read the definition of the word. Words matter. That’s why I included it above.

How do you feel about the Kingmen and Moroni?
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 25th, 2023, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.