The Lord heard my prayer, and, about five days after, two of the three visited me in my bedroom. Benjamin Brown, Pioneer

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

The Lord heard my prayer, and, about five days after, two of the three visited me in my bedroom. Benjamin Brown, Pioneer

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Here is his story, in his own words. Much more than just his Nephite visit, enjoy. Benjamin Brown, "Testimonies for the Truth", autobiography (1853)http://moroni10.com/mormon_history/benj ... raphy.html

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Lord heard my prayer, and, about five days after, two of the three visited me in my bedroom. Benjamin Brown, Pio

Post by TheDuke »

kirtland: please provide a synopsis and reason for posting these links as opposed to just a blank and getting us to follow it. Some are good, others dead ends, but it would be nice to know why you picked it to put it here other than just nothing better to do at the time. I personally don't like blindly following links for no reason and if it just for nice-LDS-touchy-feely, I find it uninlightening and I do wish to be enlightened. Thanks

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Re: The Lord heard my prayer, and, about five days after, two of the three visited me in my bedroom. Benjamin Brown, Pio

Post by M249Gunner »

kirtland r.m. wrote: January 20th, 2023, 6:54 pm Here is his story, in his own words. Much more than just his Nephite visit, enjoy. Benjamin Brown, "Testimonies for the Truth", autobiography (1853)http://moroni10.com/mormon_history/benj ... raphy.html
Interesting testimony.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

TheDuke wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:02 pm kirtland: please provide a synopsis and reason for posting these links as opposed to just a blank and getting us to follow it. Some are good, others dead ends, but it would be nice to know why you picked it to put it here other than just nothing better to do at the time. I personally don't like blindly following links for no reason and if it just for nice-LDS-touchy-feely, I find it uninlightening and I do wish to be enlightened. Thanks
And you want Kirkland to do something about your personal problem?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Valo wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:43 pm

Pretty darn rude there ole boy. It has been a theme here and I am not the first to request it. There are several that post raw videos and links w/o any reasoning and analysis. It has generated comments in the past. Kirkland likes to do this a lot. Some are quite good. But, I for one don't like "bait". Many here and some from Kirkland are what I consider bait. Written about something innocuous and often without pedigree from who knows where, some deep hole on the internet of Mormon pioneer folklore.

I'm not sure what my personal problem is? I could start posting links to every GA talk for the last 100 years or every speech Trump made or posting links to GA geneologies, etc.... I guess I'd be within my right but like this is comes very close to trolling if the only purpose is to take peoples time to look without a reason or suggestion of value.

BTW, it is also very improper Valo to respond to a request or comment with a personal attack. Please don't do it again, or at least try to phrase it as a statement of some claim or value vs. direct attempt at a put down. We don't need more of that on the forum, thank you.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

The Lord heard my prayer

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Satan made a last effort to prevent my entering the Church. A man coming along by the waterside came up to me and said, "I wish to speak to you for a few minutes before you go into the water." Thinking of course that he was a friend, or a member of the Church, who intended to give me some instruction as to my behavior when in the water, I listened to him, and, having got me to retire some rods off, he said, "Have you heard what has come out?" "No," I replied, "what about?" "Why," he continued, "concerning the Mormons, it has been discovered that it is all an imposture[sic], a regular hoax to deceive the people.
The foregoing reminds me of the reaction to me March 8 photo by Taki and a few others that cite silly anomalies rather than discuss things intelligently. But then there was the March 18th earthquake. Recently not much is heard from them despite them claiming they haven’t shut their mouth.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheDuke wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:02 pm kirtland: please provide a synopsis and reason for posting these links as opposed to just a blank and getting us to follow it. Some are good, others dead ends, but it would be nice to know why you picked it to put it here other than just nothing better to do at the time. I personally don't like blindly following links for no reason and if it just for nice-LDS-touchy-feely, I find it uninlightening and I do wish to be enlightened. Thanks
I think people need to put video lengths on a lot of the YT etc links. When you see one of these, you've often no idea whether the video will be two minutes long or three/four hours!

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

In defense of Kirtland, but more especially because I personally read the above story/stories many many years ago about Benjamin Brown, I would say that it was very worth posting the story. And I think Kirtland means well overall, and that his desires are genuinely to enlighten his fellow man.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

simpleton wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:15 am
In defense of Kirtland, but more especially because I personally read the above story/stories many many years ago about Benjamin Brown, I would say that it was very worth posting the story. And I think Kirtland means well overall, and that his desires are genuinely to enlighten his fellow man.
Most of Kirtland R.M.'s posts are worthwhile and contain some fascinating content. I wish I could say the same about everyone else on this forum.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

TheDuke wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:56 pm
Valo wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:43 pm

Pretty darn rude there ole boy. It has been a theme here and I am not the first to request it. There are several that post raw videos and links w/o any reasoning and analysis. It has generated comments in the past. Kirkland likes to do this a lot. Some are quite good. But, I for one don't like "bait". Many here and some from Kirkland are what I consider bait. Written about something innocuous and often without pedigree from who knows where, some deep hole on the internet of Mormon pioneer folklore.

I'm not sure what my personal problem is? I could start posting links to every GA talk for the last 100 years or every speech Trump made or posting links to GA geneologies, etc.... I guess I'd be within my right but like this is comes very close to trolling if the only purpose is to take peoples time to look without a reason or suggestion of value.

BTW, it is also very improper Valo to respond to a request or comment with a personal attack. Please don't do it again, or at least try to phrase it as a statement of some claim or value vs. direct attempt at a put down. We don't need more of that on the forum, thank you.
Ever heard of "fragility "?

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Should society accomdate fat @ss€s?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Valo wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:28 am Should society accomdate fat @ss€s?

Blatant TROLL and with evil spirit too boot!

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

TheDuke wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:35 am

Good question 😄

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

TheDuke wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:35 am

Blatant TROLL and with evil spirit too boot!
Trolls are Scandinavian.

There be good trolls and evil trolls.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Evil makes me feel uncomfortable but praise of man makes me feel good

Criticism makes me feel uncomfortable but so does evil and praise makes me feel good.

Which one is evil? Criticism or Praise?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Valo wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:59 am Evil makes me feel uncomfortable but praise of man makes me feel good

Criticism makes me feel uncomfortable but so does evil and praise makes me feel good.

Finrock: calling someone a fat @#$ is not criticism or praise. It is not a response to a topic or issue and is uncalled for. Now that I know it you, I will refrain from comments, but if you persist in jumping from topics to personal attacks, I will see what action may be taken as it is uncalled for......

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

TheDuke wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:19 pm
Valo wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:59 am Evil makes me feel uncomfortable but praise of man makes me feel good

Finrock: calling someone a fat @#$ is not criticism or praise. It is not a response to a topic or issue and is uncalled for. Now that I know it you, I will refrain from comments, but if you persist in jumping from topics to personal attacks, I will see what action may be taken as it is uncalled for......
Care to prove your words?

But what say ye? God made me do it so its a good question. You think I know ye? hahaha

Should society accomdate fat @#$€s?

Could be a donkey? You judged it evil cause it was in your heart to judge evil.

But I digress...

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I agree, it's always nice when people provide some kind of short summary of a video, etc.

In this case, though, I actually think the title of the thread provides a fairly effective summary of the account. If it had included the additional word "Nephites -- i.e., "two of the three Nephites appeared to me," I'm not sure how much more could actually be added by way of basic summary. But no one can read the title of thread and not have some basic idea what the account/testimony is about.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Benjamin writes a fascinating narrative about his search for a church with Gifts of the Spirit, his initial contempt for the Book of Mormon, meeting the Three Nephites, heavenly manifestations and strict warnings, and his wife opposing his baptism.

Benjamin BrownAbout the age of twenty-five [1819], I married, and settled on a small farm of my own. About nine or ten years [1829-30] later than this, after a fatiguing day's labor, I returned home one evening, and having partaken of my supper, turned my back to the fire, as my custom was, and leaned, with my head on my arms, on the chair top to rest myself and dry my clothes, which were moistened with the perspiration caused by the heat. My wife [Sarah]retired to rest, expecting me shortly to follow. Thus left alone, I was musing on things generally, but not particularly on any religious subject, when a vision of my brother, who had died some fourteen or fifteen years previous, appeared before me, praying. I heard his voice clearly and distinctly, and listened attentively. In the course of his prayer, he referred to a great work to be done on the earth during the last days, quoting several scriptures. I was disturbed, apparently in the midst of my vision, by my wife's calling to me, when the vision left me, and I felt just like a hungry man who is called or snatched suddenly away from a feast. But the joy and peace with which my spirit was filled remained with me, and I glorified God.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

tmac wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:57 pm I agree, it's always nice when people provide some kind of short summary of a video, etc.

In this case, though, I actually think the title of the thread provides a fairly effective summary of the account. If it had included the additional word "Nephites -- i.e., "two of the three Nephites appeared to me," I'm not sure how much more could actually be added by way of basic summary. But no one can read the title of thread and not have some basic idea what the account/testimony is about.
Thanks guys for quite a few positive comments. I would not call any of these historical posts click bait as has been said earlier up the thread. I quote my sources, I usually have an important subject direct quote in the heading as tmac has pointed out, and as to my motivation, I am surprised that comes up so often.
There are many possibilities for motivation for many negative comments about many personal church history stories. However, there are few for posting hundreds of faith promoting personal experiences, many of them true miracles in the words of those who saw them. Here is my true and everlasting motivation.
And if it so be that you should labor all your days... and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! Doctrine and Covenants 18:15, I am trying to throw out as many spiritual life rafts as fast as I can to as many people as I can, while remembering who gave me mine. Along with these experiences, I strive to answer gospel questions which sometimes cause some to stumble and or give up. I have my personal witnesses of the fullness of the gospel. I tell some of them. I also study the gospel day and night.
I will keep posting. When I retire later this year, I plan to put much of this on a new web site I want to start, I have seen and been on over a hundred church related blogs and websites hunting around and reading. I have never seen another which will have as much information(short of B.Y.U. related and the direct Church websites). Someone needs to do this and I am willing.

The following quote from Elder Dallin H. Oaks sums up some of what I have said.

It is not enough to study or reenact the accomplishments of our pioneers. We need to identify the great, eternal principles they applied to achieve all they achieved for our benefit and then apply those principles to the challenges of our day. In that way we honor their pioneering efforts, and we also reaffirm our heritage and strengthen its capacity to bless our own posterity and “those millions of our Heavenly Father’s children who have yet to hear and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.”2 We are all pioneers in doing so.

Many of our challenges are different from those faced by former pioneers but perhaps just as dangerous and surely as significant to our own salvation and the salvation of those who follow us.3https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng