Does Elder Bednar understand the Lectures on Faith?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Does Elder Bednar understand the Lectures on Faith?

Post by Obrien »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:24 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm Wait a minute, are there people that believe God has no physicality?
He's a "personage of spirit" according to Lectures on Faith. I don't know what that means, please tell me if you do.

The Bible says spirit, the BoM says spirit, and LoF says personage of spirit.

Marc rightfully connects D&C 93:33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy

Mesh that successfully with the other scriptures and I'll definitely hear you out.
This has probably been addressed already, but in 1843 Joseph Smith apparently believed God the Father and Jesus had bodies of flesh and bone, as tangible as yours. DC 130:22 IIRC.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Lectures on Faith

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm Wait a minute, are there people that believe God has no physicality?
I wonder if the Davidic Servant has anything more to say on the subject. :!:

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

No, and they were removed without a vote in 1920, contrary to the covenants, because it contradict the doctrines of the sea beast that had crupt in.

https://seekingyhwh.org/lectures-on-faith/

Talked about daily performances and ordinances some, and Daniel 9 is key for reading the NT on this. Talk about Tzitzit and symbolism associated with them. The history around Moses coming down from the mount is prophecy of the first and second comings. Talked about King Brigham some. Some symbolism of wine and aging. New can mean renew. Symbolic language. Talk about what the Holy Spirit. How Yeshua was conceived by the Holy Spirit. I expound Joseph Smith last dream. Talk about the Nazarite vow. Share how buying and selling from the Book of Revelation is related to the parable of the 10 virgins. Talk about the abomination some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV80ZsN ... n&index=28

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

[1828 Webster’s Dictionary, PERSONAGE: 1) EXTERIOR APPEARANCE 2) CHARACTER ASSUMED 3) CHARACTER REPRESENTED]

Lectures on Faith 5:2 There are two personages [exterior appearance] who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things … They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit … The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle … possessing the same mind with the Father, which mind is the Holy Spirit, that bears record of the Father and the Son, and these three are one, or in other words, these three constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things … and these three constitute the Godhead, and are one: The Father and the Son possessing the same mind … the Son being filled with the fulness of the Mind, glory and power, or, in other words, the Spirit … being filled with the fulness of the Mind of the Father, or, in other words, the Spirit of the Father: which Spirit is shed forth upon all who believe on his name and keep his commandments: and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ; possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all …

https://seekingyhwh.org/lectures-on-faith/5th/

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

I'm comfortable saying the LoF contain much truth but a few of the doctrines were later superceded by further light and knowledge the Prophet Joseph received by revelation.
The LoF were a combination of introductory revelations and the academic study of Rigdon and Joseph.
Revelation trumps theological academia.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

JLHPROF wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:32 pm I'm comfortable saying the LoF contain much truth but a few of the doctrines were later superceded by further light and knowledge the Prophet Joseph received by revelation.
The LoF were a combination of introductory revelations and the academic study of Rigdon and Joseph.
JS never claimed section 130 to be a revelation and he specifically chose to not canonize it, so nothing was superceded, nor can cannon be superceded or undermined because God does not vary from that which he says.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

SJR3t2 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:05 pm [1828 Webster’s Dictionary, PERSONAGE: 1) EXTERIOR APPEARANCE 2) CHARACTER ASSUMED 3) CHARACTER REPRESENTED]

Lectures on Faith 5:2 There are two personages [exterior appearance] who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things … They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit … The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle … possessing the same mind with the Father, which mind is the Holy Spirit, that bears record of the Father and the Son, and these three are one, or in other words, these three constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things … and these three constitute the Godhead, and are one: The Father and the Son possessing the same mind … the Son being filled with the fulness of the Mind, glory and power, or, in other words, the Spirit … being filled with the fulness of the Mind of the Father, or, in other words, the Spirit of the Father: which Spirit is shed forth upon all who believe on his name and keep his commandments: and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ; possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all …

The Father and the Son possess the same mind, which in any other context would mean they are the same person, which is what the BoM says. This is reiterated when it says that the same mind means the same spirit. Mind equals Spirit.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:02 pm
JLHPROF wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:32 pm I'm comfortable saying the LoF contain much truth but a few of the doctrines were later superceded by further light and knowledge the Prophet Joseph received by revelation.
JS never claimed section 130 to be a revelation and he specifically chose to not canonize it, so nothing was superceded, nor can cannon be superceded or undermined because God does not vary from that which he says.
Mormon God changes his mind all the time. He's a bit fickle.

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:10 pm The Father and the Son possess the same mind, which in any other context would mean they are the same person, which is what the BoM says. This is reiterated when it says that the same mind means the same spirit. Mind equals Spirit.
I remain unconvinced of this, as I believe this is what we will all receive if we obtain the Celestial Kingdom. We will all become one with the Father and Christ, just as Christ is one with the Father.
John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
Also, the very definitions of the Holy Spirit include the word mind. So if the Holy Spirit is in us, then the mind of God is in us, too, not just Jesus.

Greek:
G4151 πνεῦμα pneûma, pnyoo'-mah; from G4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit:—ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

Hebrew:
rûwach, roo'-akh; from H7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):—air, anger, blast, breath, × cool, courage, mind, × quarter, × side, spirit(-ual), tempest, × vain, (whirl-) wind(-y).

So I agree that Mind = Spirit, but that we also will become one in the same way.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:10 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:05 pm [1828 Webster’s Dictionary, PERSONAGE: 1) EXTERIOR APPEARANCE 2) CHARACTER ASSUMED 3) CHARACTER REPRESENTED]

The Father and the Son possess the same mind, which in any other context would mean they are the same person, which is what the BoM says. This is reiterated when it says that the same mind means the same spirit. Mind equals Spirit.
The word PERSONAGE shows they are the same person. Later in the verse it shows that we are to have that same Mind / Spirit and we are not the same entity as Him.

Lectures on Faith 5:2 ...
which Spirit is shed forth upon all who believe on his name and keep his commandments: and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ; possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all: being filled with the fulness of his glory, and become one in him, even as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one.

One definition of Spirit is Behavior which I bring out in https://seekingyhwh.org/2022/10/05/all- ... o-chiasmi/

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

In John 17, Christ prays to the Father that His disciples will be one with Him in the same way He is one with the Father.

He then prays that all those who believe on the words of His disciples will also be one with Him in the same way He is one with the Father.

This appears to be in harmony with the teachings in the Lectures on faith.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Wondering Wendy wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:56 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:10 pm The Father and the Son possess the same mind, which in any other context would mean they are the same person, which is what the BoM says. This is reiterated when it says that the same mind means the same spirit. Mind equals Spirit.
I remain unconvinced of this, as I believe this is what we will all receive if we obtain the Celestial Kingdom. We will all become one with the Father and Christ, just as Christ is one with the Father.
John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
Also, the very definitions of the Holy Spirit include the word mind. So if the Holy Spirit is in us, then the mind of God is in us, too, not just Jesus.

Greek:
G4151 πνεῦμα pneûma, pnyoo'-mah; from G4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit:—ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

Hebrew:
rûwach, roo'-akh; from H7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):—air, anger, blast, breath, × cool, courage, mind, × quarter, × side, spirit(-ual), tempest, × vain, (whirl-) wind(-y).

So I agree that Mind = Spirit, but that we also will become one in the same way.
So, in a way, you are saying there is a difference between sharing the same mind versus having the same mind. That might be, I don't pretend to know.

It does seem almost that we are being told we will share a hive mind, like being connected in a version of heavenly Borg. I don't know that there is yet an answer here that everyone will be comfortable with.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

If Jesus and God were the same person, spirit, or mind, who exactly was Jesus speaking to when he said "Father, forgive them?"

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

SJR3t2 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:49 am The word PERSONAGE shows they are the same person. Later in the verse it shows that we are to have that same Mind / Spirit and we are not the same entity as Him.
That is the heart of the enigma.

The two being the same person is also what the BoM says. It is the first and primary meaning of "being one". One means one and the same, but yet how are we to become one with them/him?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Fred wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:14 am

If Jesus and God were the same person, spirit, or mind, who exactly was Jesus speaking to when he said "Father, forgive them?"
My guess is that they share the same mind, but the flesh has the mind veiled. The veil over the mind is the separation of flesh and spirit.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:17 am

My guess is that they share the same mind, but the flesh has the mind veiled. The veil over the mind is the separation of flesh and spirit.
What if it's as simple as being of the same mind, where mind can be substituted with purpose? We are one in purpose.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I once had a stake president who became somewhat obsessed with the Lectures on Faith to the point that he had copies printed up and distributed to the whole stake and urged us all to include it in our scripture study.

He was, shortly after doing this, released.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Fred wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:21 am
Shawn Henry wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:17 am
What if it's as simple as being of the same mind, where mind can be substituted with purpose? We are one in purpose.
It could be. It could simply be beings who all resonate at that same higher frequency.

That brings another question though. Do they have to be at or near the same level of intelligence in order to be one with each other.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Serragon wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:31 am A personage of Spirit is one whose Spirit has complete mastery over their temporal or physical selves.
So why the emphasis on spirit. Doesn't this place spirit above flesh? And what is a "Tabernacle of flesh"?

Just random thoughts, don't feel like you need to answer.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:15 am
SJR3t2 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:49 am The word PERSONAGE shows they are the same person. Later in the verse it shows that we are to have that same Mind / Spirit and we are not the same entity as Him.
That is the heart of the enigma.

The two being the same person is also what the BoM says. It is the first and primary meaning of "being one". One means one and the same, but yet how are we to become one with them/him?
By keeping Torah.

As I see it every part of the Doctrine of Christ [the Messiah] is connected to His law / Torah.
A Repenting and returning to the law / Torah.
-B Baptism of water is a witness of covenant already made to keep all of His law / Torah.
-B Baptism of fire is a witness you have been judged and found with a broken heart and a contrite spirit and you are then cleansed of your past sins and have been justified by the law / Torah because of Yeshua’s merits.
A Baptism of the Holy Spirit is sanctification by the law / Torah and have it written on your heart and you seek to sin no more and have the express image of Yeshua in your countenance.
Sometimes the Doctrine of Christ [the Messiah] includes enduring to the end which is keeping the commandments to the end of your life even when the world will judge you negatively for doing so. Other times it will include speaking with the tongue of angels which is simply preaching and teaching the law / Torah and calling people to repentance which is telling them to return to YHWH’s law / Torah.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2022/10/05/all- ... o-chiasmi/

I hope this will inspire people to keep God’s commandments and seek to understand them and the doctrine behind them.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2019/01/30/catc ... nderstand/

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

That's the question I had all my life when I was confronted by standard evangelical theologists. Who was Jesus praying to, if he's the same person? Was he praying to himself?

However the answer can perhaps be yes and no at the same time. Imagine mortality is this big mmo videogame, and God creates Jesus as a videogame avatar. The same mind can operate everything in the universe, while also veiling itself within Jesus ad giving it operating instructions. So that God experience the full spectrum of mortality, being born, learning, growing, everything just like a normal human. Part of operating within mortality would be not knowing everything there is to know, but God already knows everything, so that all has to be veiled, so that there's a true experience of mortality. Part of being perfect within mortality is acting in faith, praying to God for instructions, and Jesus does that, and not just as an example of what everyone else should do. It's not just a puppet play for everyone else's benefit, but he really is praying to the Father, even after he's learned and grown enough to know he is one with the Father, he still hasn't ascended and doesn't know everything, and he's still subordinate to and asking for instructions and blessings from the Father.

Just my speculation, and probably a pretty crude analogy.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Fred wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:02 pm A hundred or so years ago the church decided to take the Lectures out of the Doctrine and Covenants. Many people on this forum have a copy of their own. I bought mine on Amazon.

I was taught somewhere along the line that the Lectures were not relevant. Then I discovered LDSFF and had to find out for myself.

Elder Bednar quotes from the Lectures as if they are scripture, but somehow misses what they say.

What do you think?
The LOF was removed as companion reading to the D&C in 1928 by GA Smith. He made other notable changes, one of which was saying that women could no longer give blessings. He also stopped baptisms for health.

Elder Bednar's statement that you must have faith not to be healed shows he does not understand faith. What a crock. The scriptures do not say that.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:11 am
Wondering Wendy wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:56 pm

Greek:

Hebrew:

So, in a way, you are saying there is a difference between sharing the same mind versus having the same mind. That might be, I don't pretend to know.

It does seem almost that we are being told we will share a hive mind, like being connected in a version of heavenly Borg. I don't know that there is yet an answer here that everyone will be comfortable with.
That would be one way to look at it.

But I think that we are still individuals. It's more like we can all understand truth the same way and work towards goals as one. Where we have an understanding and appreciation for one another like as we do for ourselves. So we aren't drones in a hive mind, rather we just have pure motivations with no guile or narcissism or selfishness. Yeah it's a foreign existence to us here and now. Ok so maybe we will just all be drinking to same Kool aid 😂😂😂

Perhaps it's like a perfect body being made up of cells/individuals. Each cell does its own thing in harmony with the rest of the body. There are just no cancers, bacteria, viruses, etc.

Isn't that kind of what people describe in their NDEs. Love, harmony, etc. But those are probably just glimpses, not the entire reality to come.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Fred wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:02 pm A hundred or so years ago the church decided to take the Lectures out of the Doctrine and Covenants. Many people on this forum have a copy of their own. I bought mine on Amazon.

I was taught somewhere along the line that the Lectures were not relevant. Then I discovered LDSFF and had to find out for myself.

Elder Bednar quotes from the Lectures as if they are scripture, but somehow misses what they say.

What do you think?
As a direct answer to the OP's original question - Does ANYONE understand the Lectures on Faith, especially when compared to scripture promulgated by LDSCo?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:58 am That would be one way to look at it.

But I think that we are still individuals. It's more like we can all understand truth the same way and work towards goals as one. Where we have an understanding and appreciation for one another like as we do for ourselves. So we aren't drones in a hive mind, rather we just have pure motivations with no guile or narcissism or selfishness. Yeah it's a foreign existence to us here and now. Ok so maybe we will just all be drinking to same Kool aid 😂😂😂

Perhaps it's like a perfect body being made up of cells/individuals. Each cell does its own thing in harmony with the rest of the body. There are just no cancers, bacteria, viruses, etc.

Isn't that kind of what people describe in their NDEs. Love, harmony, etc. But those are probably just glimpses, not the entire reality to come.
Right!!! Not drones in a hive mind, but individual autonomous beings in a hive mind with all our agency still intact. We freely go and function according to the laws of agency while always maintaining that connection to the mind of God.

In a way, it's similar to taking the AI factor out of the current transhumanism movement and replacing it with the shared mind of God. Imagine functioning with a speed of thought connection to a spiritual internet. Not saying I believe it, but who knows.