Genealogy ... moment

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

Genealogy ... moment

Post by Momma J »

First off let me explain that I am a history NUT. I enjoy digging through archives, often in multiple tangents in search of answers to family history questions.

I have traced my family in-depth, coming to the United States around 1643 - 1650. (I am guessing the year based on the knowledge that he fought in the English Civil War which was 1642-1651) ... Next record is his marriage in Weyanoke, Charles City County, Virginia, United States in 1651.

Anyway, tons of good finds through the generations; military records, census reports, ship records, land purchases, births, marriages, deaths... snippets of journals ...

But I have one area that has been a complete roadblock. A Great-great Grandmother. The family "lore" is that she was full blooded Indian. Yet she claimed to be Mexican as being Indian was considered dirty and she did not want the stigma.

I have not been able to find anything! I made some guesses as to which tribe, based on locations that the family lived or passed through.

I have prayed for answers and made the assumption that she was from a Sioux tribe and let it go.

This morning driving in to work, I received the following... "Shoshone"

Nothing more, and yet I have great comfort knowing that this is a piece to the puzzle. Strange that Shoshone was not a tribe I had considered and yet pulling them up, it makes perfect sense.

I still have no idea as to her ancestry, and I am ok with that.

I look forward to meeting her one day... The Lord willing.

(And this is why we are encouraged to keep a written record of our history... so as to NOT drive our future generations batty-er)

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Re: Genealogy ... moment

Post by OCDMOM »

My Husband always said his Mom was 1/4 Native American. When Ancestry had a sale on their DNA kits, he did one. No, he did not have any Native American DNA. I'm sure your Great Grandmother did though. I hope you can find her. That sounds so exciting. I love that kind of stuff. Wish I could help you.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

This claim to native American ancestry is so common, it's practically a cliche. You'd be surprised by how many people think the same thing. I know I heard it growing up, but there's none to be found in my genealogy. There's even a term for it: Cherokee Princess Syndrome.

Theveilofforgetting
captain of 50

Post by Theveilofforgetting »

Love that kind of inspiration.

On one branch we've gone back very far (due to nobility and wealth I'd presume). But on my father's side I have nothing. I don't even know if the name he used was his legal name. Would love to get a hint so I could find out that side of my family.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

h_p wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:55 pm This claim to native American ancestry is so common, it's practically a cliche. You'd be surprised by how many people think the same thing. I know I heard it growing up, but there's none to be found in my genealogy. There's even a term for it: Cherokee Princess Syndrome.
A lot of Americans do have a small amount of Native American DNA, but it’s just small amounts like 1% or less. I don’t have any family stories of Native American ancestry, but I do have brunette hair, “high cheekbones”, tan skin and almond shaped eyes, so people have often asked me if I have Native American ancestry or if I’m part Mexican or something. When I did 23 and Me it said I’m 99.9% Northwestern European descent and 0.1% unassigned. So - it was good to know!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

h_p wrote: January 19th, 2023, 7:55 pm This claim to native American ancestry is so common, it's practically a cliche. You'd be surprised by how many people think the same thing. I know I heard it growing up, but there's none to be found in my genealogy. There's even a term for it: Cherokee Princess Syndrome.
I understand the claim that many are now making. For our family it was the opposite. It was not discussed. We could not ask Grammy if she was an "Indian" or we would get popped in the mouth. Being quick learners, we discovered it was best to not ask questions of her family. From time to time, when she was upset, we would hear her talking in another language. But I have no idea what it was. She also would sip what she called "Indian pop." I learned many years later that my dad called it that so we would not know that she liked a bit of whiskey.

I thought of doing one of those dna kits.... but I hate the thought of my dna on some sort of data base. (It probably already is from a stay in the hospital ???)