upwardthought really on point video made for youth but good for all

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: upwardthought really on point video made for youth but good for all

Post by endlessQuestions »

I truly don’t know why, but every time I go to watch or read something by that guy, I get the strongest feelings of darkness.

I know others here on the forum like his stuff, and I’m not saying they’re wrong. But, man, I can’t click off his videos fast enough.

SantaFe
captain of 50

Post by SantaFe »

I think he means well but he's dragging it out too long and doesn't use good voice inflection in his delivery. He seems to be reading the words almost without sincerity and passion. IMHO

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

SantaFe wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:07 pm I think he means well but he's dragging it out too long and doesn't use good voice inflection in his delivery. He seems to be reading the words almost without sincerity and passion. IMHO
Well he's not a professional, I'm sure if I were called to that I wouldn't do much better (would you?). There are some things he has discussed where he was clearly emotional. In any case, I don't doubt his sincerity. His readership/viewership is quite small, so it's not like he's doing it to make a name for himself, because it isn't working. Doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile though for those willing to give him a listen.
endlessQuestions wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:42 pm I truly don’t know why, but every time I go to watch or read something by that guy, I get the strongest feelings of darkness.

I know others here on the forum like his stuff, and I’m not saying they’re wrong. But, man, I can’t click off his videos fast enough.
You might want to check what kind of spiritual attachments/hangers-on are following you. Whatever you want to say about the guy, he isn't evil. To this point, he has made some interesting observations about light and how having more than others can affect how others perceive you, for better or worse. I find that very interesting.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

gruden2.0 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:26 pm
SantaFe wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:07 pm I think he means well but he's dragging it out too long and doesn't use good voice inflection in his delivery. He seems to be reading the words almost without sincerity and passion. IMHO
Well he's not a professional, I'm sure if I were called to that I wouldn't do much better (would you?). There are some things he has discussed where he was clearly emotional. In any case, I don't doubt his sincerity. His readership/viewership is quite small, so it's not like he's doing it to make a name for himself, because it isn't working. Doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile though for those willing to give him a listen.
endlessQuestions wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:42 pm I truly don’t know why, but every time I go to watch or read something by that guy, I get the strongest feelings of darkness.

You might want to check what kind of spiritual attachments/hangers-on are following you. Whatever you want to say about the guy, he isn't evil. To this point, he has made some interesting observations about light and how having more than others can affect how others perceive you, for better or worse. I find that very interesting.
Yeah, like I said, I really don't know what it is.

I'm actually quite interested, because several people here on the board have recommended his stuff.

Anyhow, it is what it is. As always, we each get to study what and whom we please, and what brings up light and knowledge.

SantaFe
captain of 50

Post by SantaFe »

I suppose I was just too impatient to hear him out. I may try it again to see if he resonates with me. I have a short attention span if something doesn't pull me in right away. A lot of what he was saying felt like it described me, but then again I started feeling like it didn't so I moved on.

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

SantaFe wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:19 pm

I suppose I was just too impatient to hear him out. I may try it again to see if he resonates with me. I have a short attention span if something doesn't pull me in right away. A lot of what he was saying felt like it described me, but then again I started feeling like it didn't so I moved on.
Put it on 1.25 speed. His delivery sounds more normal to me at that speed.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

He's definitely not for everyone. His appeal is pretty narrow but in that niche he has some followers who seem to be really edified by his material.

I feel I've found some truths from him that have enlightened me but I've also read extremely contradicting statements (I'm not going to cite them because it will just be more polygamy debating and this forum has had more than enough of that, but I can not believe how insanely at odds his assessment of Joseph Smith, sin, polygamy and chastity are from the beliefs he has on those topics) that sort of place his message of being an enlightened messenger in doubt for me.

He's doubled down on covid really having been a doomsday super flu and not a lie/exaggeration by TPTB and from his writings it seems like he doubles down on it so he can say a super flu from China he prophesied of really did happen in Covid. Rather than being honest about covid not being the disease TPTB frame it, he doubles down on it being a major disease because it makes him look prophetic, but by doing that, when you realize covid was an exaggeration (or a complete lie) that was weaponized for political gain, you don't seem prophetic by hanging your hat on that as fulfillment of an alleged prophecy.

He's extremely doomsday, which I don't necessarily mind because I agree society is collapsing but he takes it to such an extent that it's like why should anyone bother getting out of bed in the morning? You didn't move out of Utah when he warned you four years ago? Well, sorry, too late now, the costs are too much now. You didn't read his books? The Lord will hold it against you. You find him condescending? Well then you would hate Jesus Christ. You didn't get married in your 20s? You missed the boat, it won't happen for you. Are you a woman in her mid 20s who hasn't started having children? Probably not gonna happen for you in your future! And did you know that HISTORICALLY society has been such a violent, unhealthy, dangerous environment that people on average died in their 40s and women died generally younger than that because of childbirth without modern technology. So throughout the history of this earth, the median lifespan of a woman has generally been 20-something years. Are you a male in your early 30s or older? Congratulations, you have literally no testosterone. Preparing for the Second Coming? "trust me, if you make it to the other side of the second coming you'll be naked, you will have lost everything you love and you will have gone through hell". Who would survive that? Like 10 people? So if you really believe virtually no one but your Superman self can do it, what's the point of the ministry? What's the point of telling kids they matter when you're going to rant about hell coming to kill 99.9% of the population at some point of this generation and only people you deem to be as good as you will make it in tomorrow's blog post?

I'd say there are inspired concepts in his messages but there's also such a hopelessness in his general message that sort of makes these "pick me up, feel good" videos he some times makes feel insincere or virtually worthless.

For someone who once declared that it was time for a wake up call for followers of Snuffer's message and someone who teaches against the LDS church and points out contradictions and discrepancies in their messages and history, perhaps it's time his message be measured with the same level of judgement he wants to measure everyone and everything else with. But you know what? That won't happen. Because about 115 people pay attention to him.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

BuriedTartaria wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:31 pm
He's extremely doomsday, which I don't necessarily mind because I agree society is collapsing but he takes it to such an extent that it's like why should anyone bother getting out of bed in the morning? You didn't move out of Utah when he warned you four years ago? Well, sorry, too late now, the costs are too much now. You didn't read his books? The Lord will hold it against you. You find him condescending? Well then you would hate Jesus Christ. You didn't get married in your 20s? You missed the boat, it won't happen for you. Are you a woman in her mid 20s who hasn't started having children? Probably not gonna happen for you in your future! And did you know that HISTORICALLY society has been such a violent, unhealthy, dangerous environment that people on average died in their 40s and women died generally younger than that because of childbirth without modern technology. So throughout the history of this earth, the median lifespan of a woman has generally been 20-something years. Are you a male in your early 30s or older? Congratulations, you have literally no testosterone. Preparing for the Second Coming? "trust me, if you make it to the other side of the second coming you'll be naked, you will have lost everything you love and you will have gone through hell". Who would survive that? Like 10 people? So if you really believe virtually no one but your Superman self can do it, what's the point of the ministry? What's the point of telling kids they matter when you're going to rant about hell coming to kill 99.9% of the population at some point of this generation and only people you deem to be as good as you will make it in tomorrow's blog post?

I'd say there are inspired concepts in his messages but there's also such a hopelessness in his general message that sort of makes these "pick me up, feel good" videos he some times makes feel insincere or virtually worthless.
I really appreciate what you have written here, BT.

I think that your first question in what I quoted above is kind of the point, actually. I think most (if not, every) person on this board has some idea of the “awful situation” we are in in this world, but do we really comprehend it in totality? In all of its possibilities? What would we need to experience in order to gain that kind of comprehension? And once we gain that comprehension, don’t you think it would be easy to ask why we should “bother getting out of bed in the morning?” That’s a very good question, and I think it strikes right at the heart of the gospel message, to be honest. Reminds me of the quote from JS about contemplating the darkest abyss, not just the utmost heavens.

“Pick me up/feel good” videos only “feel insincere or virtually worthless” to the degree that we don’t actually believe that the gospel is designed to give us hope and peace despite every single “bad” thing this world can throw at us and despite every single “bad” situation we might find ourselves in. And we are truly heading into some really bad stuff, are we not? What does that say about us if we can only bear to hear about the kingdom of God being triumphant? If we feel hopeless when someone simply talks about the terrible realities of our current situation, how hopeless will we feel when we are immersed in the far worse realities that are coming?

This is why, in my opinion, the message of true repentance and sinlessness thereafter is so important. There has to be a group of people that keeps ALL of God’s commandments in order for Zion to be established. (JST Gen. 9:21-23) They will have to be perfectly sinless at their own level of understanding in order to have perfect hope through the end times events. Moroni’s last words are so full of wisdom for our day. Despair only comes of iniquity.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

An Eye Single wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:40 am
This is why, in my opinion, the message of true repentance and sinlessness thereafter is so important. There has to be a group of people that keeps ALL of God’s commandments in order for Zion to be established. (JST Gen. 9:21-23) They will have to be perfectly sinless at their own level of understanding in order to have perfect hope through the end times events. Moroni’s last words are so full of wisdom for our day. Despair only comes of iniquity.
I completely agree with you.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

BuriedTartaria wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:31 pm

He's definitely not for everyone. His appeal is pretty narrow but in that niche he has some followers who seem to be really edified by his material.

I feel I've found some truths from him that have enlightened me but I've also read extremely contradicting statements (I'm not going to cite them because it will just be more polygamy debating and this forum has had more than enough of that, but I can not believe how insanely at odds his assessment of Joseph Smith, sin, polygamy and chastity are from the beliefs he has on those topics) that sort of place his message of being an enlightened messenger in doubt for me.

He's doubled down on covid really having been a doomsday super flu and not a lie/exaggeration by TPTB and from his writings it seems like he doubles down on it so he can say a super flu from China he prophesied of really did happen in Covid. Rather than being honest about covid not being the disease TPTB frame it, he doubles down on it being a major disease because it makes him look prophetic, but by doing that, when you realize covid was an exaggeration (or a complete lie) that was weaponized for political gain, you don't seem prophetic by hanging your hat on that as fulfillment of an alleged prophecy.

For someone who once declared that it was time for a wake up call for followers of Snuffer's message and someone who teaches against the LDS church and points out contradictions and discrepancies in their messages and history, perhaps it's time his message be measured with the same level of judgement he wants to measure everyone and everything else with. But you know what? That won't happen. Because about 115 people pay attention to him.
I feel like this is where I am with him. A lot of what he says is on point and very edifying. He says some things also that occasionally feel dark to me - not evil per se but just wrong. I think he is a very sincere guy and his personality type isn't the type to attract the masses which is fine and relateable. He seems to be willing to do the hard work of fact-checking and researching and struggling with the Spirit and mostly just "being in the world and not of the world" to an extent that I can only admire and try to emulate. I mean, he seems to definitely focus on taking care of the physical needs but not becoming materialistic that I feel almost everyone could strive to be more that way - I know I have a long ways to go in that!

I am very careful not to become a follower of any person, but I do like to take counsel from wise people who have at least some things down better than me. That is probably my big draw to his videos - by and large I feel they are good counsel, and I am also someone with a high tolerance for long videos as long as there is an eventual pay-off. Sometimes I wish he would crank out 5 or 10 minute videos that cut to the chase, but sometimes the journey is as important as the destination. C.S. Lewis' book "The Problem of Pain" is a great example, he wrote a whole book on the argument about if God is all powerful and good, why does the world suck so bad?" It's a lot of material to trudge thru for an answer to one question, but well worth it imho, and a Readers' Digest condensed version just wouldn't do it justice.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I don’t necessarily sense any darkness or anything, but I do have some questions I plan on asking. For example, there’s an entire aspect he never touched on in his book “Repentance”. Why did he miss out addressing something head-on while doing so would have made it more powerful (in my opinion)?

But how many people do you know who walk the walk when it comes to living up to your ideal? He may be the only one I know—not first hand, obviously. Sincerely, is there anyone else you know like that? He’s bound to make mistakes, but he seems hot or cold which should help his efforts as God is trying to unravel all of our individual messes. Living up to one’s ideal alone should warrant anyone some extra insight/perception/revelation than the average born-again saint.