6 year old shot teacher

Discuss political news items / current events.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

6 year old shot teacher

Post by Silver Pie »

Is there already a thread on this? I can't seem to find one.

A 6 year old took a gun to school and shot his teacher in the abdomen. At first, the teacher was in critical condition, then in stable condition. The law doesn't know what to do with the kid. They say he's way too immature to try as an adult (yet he could decide at 2 that he's a girl? Or is that not a thing in this particular state?), and too young to be put in juvenile facilities.

At most, last I heard, they were saying that the most that could happen is that his parents are slapped with a misdemeanor and could spend up to 12 months in jail.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: 6 year old shot teacher

Post by Silver Pie »

It was in Virginia. I don't recall what article I was reading, but here's a search result that has several news articles about it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... acher#ip=1

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

https://youtu.be/aw6D1_cx7m4

New details after 6 yr old boy shots his school teacher. After she was shot, the teacher was thinking clearly enough to get all her students out of the school room before she received first aid herself. The gun belonged to the boy's mother. He found it and slipped it into his backpack -- then went to school with it in his backpack.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

mtmom wrote: January 11th, 2023, 7:44 pm https://youtu.be/aw6D1_cx7m4

New details after 6 yr old boy shots his school teacher. After she was shot, the teacher was thinking clearly enough to get all her students out of the school room before she received first aid herself. The gun belonged to the boy's mother. He found it and slipped it into his backpack -- then went to school with it in his backpack.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened after she got shot. Everything I heard and read said only that she was immediately taken to the hospital. I wondered how. Did they find her? Did she tell someone? You've cleared that up for me.

So the mother didn't know the kid had taken it. That's good to know, actually. I was under the impression that she knew he had taken it to school with him.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

More and more, I see no reason to become a teacher or to send kids to schools. Schools are becoming more dangerous in many ways.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Charge the mother. She should have had the firearm either locked up or under her control. How hard is that?

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

Silver Pie wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:11 pm More and more, I see no reason to become a teacher or to send kids to schools. Schools are becoming more dangerous in many ways.
I teach in high school. But if I taught in America I would carry a firearm.

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

The news reports indicate that the shooting was intentional.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Silver Pie wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:10 pm
mtmom wrote: January 11th, 2023, 7:44 pm https://youtu.be/aw6D1_cx7m4

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened after she got shot. Everything I heard and read said only that she was immediately taken to the hospital. I wondered how. Did they find her? Did she tell someone? You've cleared that up for me.

So the mother didn't know the kid had taken it. That's good to know, actually. I was under the impression that she knew he had taken it to school with him.
The little boy found where his mother put the gun and slipped it into his backpack and took it to school. His mother did not know he had it (from the police report).

His teacher had just finished reading the first grade class a story and was getting ready to start an art project. The child drew the gun out of his backpack. The teacher saw the gun and was walking over to take it. But then the child pointed it at the teacher and shot off one round. The teacher put her hand out (as a defensive response). The bullet passed through her hand and into the top of her chest. It looked like adrenaline kicked in because she started removing all the children from the classroom and to safety. A school employee heard the shot and ran into the classroom to assist. The employee restrained the child and the child fought back and hit the employee. After all the children were out of the classroom, the teacher went to the office to get first aid.

Yes, the child fired intentionally. However how much does a 6 year old understand about guns? Most of what he probably knew about guns could have come from tv shows or video games. I am sure he was startled by the loud sound. The gun was fully loaded, but he only fired off one round. He is in custody and his mother may temporarily lose her custody over him. Law enforcement mainly wants this child to receive counseling at this point.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

mtmom wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:48 amThe little boy found where his mother put the gun and slipped it into his backpack and took it to school. His mother did not know he had it (from the police report).

His teacher had just finished reading the first grade class a story and was getting ready to start an art project. The child drew the gun out of his backpack. The teacher saw the gun and was walking over to take it. But then the child pointed it at the teacher and shot off one round. The teacher put her hand out (as a defensive response). The bullet passed through her hand and into the top of her chest. It looked like adrenaline kicked in because she started removing all the children from the classroom and to safety. A school employee heard the shot and ran into the classroom to assist. The employee restrained the child and the child fought back and hit the employee. After all the children were out of the classroom, the teacher went to the office to get first aid.

Yes, the child fired intentionally. However how much does a 6 year old understand about guns? Most of what he probably knew about guns could have come from tv shows or video games. I am sure he was startled by the loud sound. The gun was fully loaded, but he only fired off one round. He is in custody and his mother may temporarily lose her custody over him. Law enforcement mainly wants this child to receive counseling at this point.

No father in the boys life? I haven't seen anything mentioned about his father.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

EmmaLee wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:49 am
mtmom wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:48 amThe little boy found where his mother put the gun and slipped it into his backpack and took it to school. His mother did not know he had it (from the police report).

No father in the boys life? I haven't seen anything mentioned about his father.
Neither have I. Pretty sad.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I was coming to give an update, but mtmom already gave one.

This is what I have, but it isn't much different.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/12/6-year-ol ... d-by-cops/
The bullet from the 9mm Taurus handgun went through Zwerner’s hand and into her chest, police said. The 25-year-old was initially hospitalized in critical condition and is now expected to recover.

While picking their kids up from the school, which was quickly placed under lockdown, parents of students in Zwerner’s class were told by police their children would need to undergo intense police questioning. The interviews will likely be conducted by a police officer and with an expert from a local children’s hospital.
Police said after Zwerner was shot, she ushered additional students out of the classroom before stumbling down the hallway and collapsing in the school office.

“From the video surveillance we have of that hallway, you can see the students running out of that classroom across the hall into another classroom. Ms. Zwerner was the last person to leave that class,” said Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew, who called the shooting intentional.
Richneck Elementary has been closed since the shooting, but the district is planning to reopen Jan. 17.

Parent Ashley Cooper, 36, isn’t comfortable sending her son Aaron Blackman back to his second-grade classroom yet.

“I don’t think a week is enough. I think we need to have virtual school for the rest of the month,” she said in the school’s parking lot, where she had returned Tuesday to pick up the belongings Aaron left behind Friday

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Mark Garcia Sr., whose son Mark Jr. also goes to Richneck, said he wants all the children carrying clear backpacks. 

“The only place I’ve seen metal detectors are in the library,” he said, adding that school policy needs to change to prioritize security. 

The shooting Friday was the third shooting in the district in the past 18 months: A 16-year-old shot two 17-year-old students at Heritage High School in September 2021; a few months later, Demari Batten, 18, shot and killed Justice Dunham, 17, after a football game in the parking lot of Menchville High School, according to local reports.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

I heard about this on the radio. So sad.

It reminds me of the 8 year old boy who shot and killed his father in Arizona. He is about 22 now, I guess. I wonder how he is doing, assuming he is back in society now.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/8-year-old ... nd-friend/

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

So, we can assume that it was a pistol as very few 6 year olds would be strong enough to handle a revolver. The pistol was loaded, cocked and safety off. Or, the child did all that himself. As a gun owner, I'm seeing a lot of 'what the h*ll?' issues here. I appreciate the right to carry weapons as self defence, but the right to carry involves the responsibility to have the firearms under your direct control at all times. Don't any of these people ever go to a gun range for practice?

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Dave62 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:34 pm
Silver Pie wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:11 pm More and more, I see no reason to become a teacher or to send kids to schools. Schools are becoming more dangerous in many ways.
I teach in high school. But if I taught in America I would carry a firearm.
They would hang you if you shot a kid.

Even if They/Zir/Zim was shooting at you.

Better a bullet proof vest.

Or do something else.

Sir H