30 names the church no longer uses

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

30 names the church no longer uses

Post by Niemand »

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia was to be the Communist equivalent of Encyclopaedia Britannica. It was actually quite good on some subjects, such as the sciences... if they didn't involve politics, economics or religion. It was distributed to libraries around the world. One day those foreign librarians were bemused to get a letter in the post telling them to update their copies by cutting out the page on Beria and pasting in an updated version. (Oh and poor little Yezhov, getting airbrushed out of official portraits.)

Same with their intelligence services. You may have heard of the KGB, but did you know it was previously called the MGB, MVD, OGPU, NKVD, Cheka, GPU and NKGB because they kept changing the name? Some say the FSB today is just the same.

https://www.ldsliving.com/30-names-and- ... ch/s/10868

Note: If you’d like to see the 6th edition of the Church’s style guide, you can view it here. The 7th edition is not yet available online. According to the style guide, the names and terms listed “may be used in referring to past publications, programs, or activities.” Terms noted in parenthesis are still in use.

---
Area Authority Seventy (instead use Area Seventy)
Area Supervisor (General Authority)
Assistant to the Twelve (General Authority)
auxiliary
bishop’s court (instead use ward membership council)
bishopric youth committee (instead use ward youth council)
Church disciplinary council (instead use Church membership council)
Church-service missionary (instead use service missionary)
disfellowship, disfellowshipment (this term was replaced by formal membership restrictons in the new handbook)
Duty to God
excommunication (this term was replaced by withdrawal of membership in the new handbook)
Faith in God
family home evening (instead use home evening)
First Council of the Seventy (instead use First Quorum of the Seventy)
general board (instead use general advisory council)
general women’s meeting (instead use women’s session)
Gospel Essentials, Gospel Principles, Gospel Doctrine class
high priests group leader
homemaking meeting (Relief Society)
home teaching
Inspired Version (instead use Joseph Smith Translation)
junior Primary
Mutual
New Beginnings
personal priesthood interview (instead use priesthood interview)
Personal Progress
regional representative
regional representatives’ seminar
servicemen’s group (instead use service member group)
visiting teaching
welfare committee (stake or ward)
--

Thirty not enough for you? How about these?
a Mormon - say "member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
Mormon (adjective) - relating to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon church - say "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"

Beehive
MIA maid
Laurel
High Priests' Group

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: 30 names the church no longer uses

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Niemand wrote: Same with their intelligence services. You may have heard of the KGB, but did you know it was previously called the MGB, MVD, OGPU, NKVD, Cheka, GPU and NKGB because they kept changing the name? Some say the FSB today is just the same.
This is exactly how everyone doesn't know NASA was a Nazi/Satanist reality con - they have changed the acronym, changed terminology, and made people forget.

Same as the rest of our reality.

Remember back when "gay" meant "happy"?

Or when a "fag" was a "stick"?

Or a "cock" was a "rooster"?

Church learned that trick back when they played their role in the mudflood reset and told us the SLC temple was "founded"....(found+excavated=founded), for eg.

Or how about this one - "White and delightsome"... hey let's just change the Book of Mormon to make it sound more P.C. so we get more tithe payers.... "pure and delightsome".

😂🤣

Words matter, and they manipulate our entire reality with them.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

Gaynote, Firelight, Merrihand, M-Men, Gleaners, Guide Patrol, Trekker, Blazer, Targeteer, Ward Teacher, Seventy (ward), Top Pilot, Lark, Bluebird, Seagull, Star, Gold and Green Ball, Road Show.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: January 10th, 2023, 9:57 am
Niemand wrote: Same with their intelligence services. You may have heard of the KGB, but did you know it was previously called the MGB, MVD, OGPU, NKVD, Cheka, GPU and NKGB because they kept changing the name? Some say the FSB today is just the same.
This is exactly how everyone doesn't know NASA was a Nazi/Satanist reality con - they have changed the acronym, changed terminology, and made people forget.

Same as the rest of our reality.

Remember back when "gay" meant "happy"?

Or when a "fag" was a "stick"?

Or a "cock" was a "rooster"?

Church learned that trick back when they played their role in the mudflood reset and told us the SLC temple was "founded"....(found+excavated=founded), for eg.

Or how about this one - "White and delightsome"... hey let's just change the Book of Mormon to make it sound more P.C. so we get more tithe payers.... "pure and delightsome".

😂🤣

Words matter, and they manipulate our entire reality with them.
We still use cock and cockerel here (well a lot of people do) and "fag" means a cigarette. Fag has a couple of other meanings here as well.

Gay is an iffy one, because when teenagers say something is "really gay", they often mean it's awful.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

I’m confused. Do we no longer have Beehives, Mia Maids or Laurels? What are they now?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Why did we stop having the Gold & Green Ball?

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

No matter how much they try to stamp it out, many adults and youth continue to (and will continue to) call weekly youth activities Mutual. Although most don't know it, it was coined by Brigham Young. He literally said, "We want to have an association for them. It should lead to improvement. Mutual improvement" (Comprehensive History of the Church, actual reference in my notes at home).

Mutual is one of those things that have linguistic staying power. Some of these other ones do as well.

I've never called the Church the "Mormon Church," but referring to us as Mormons makes a lot of sense --- as does Mormon as an adjective (Mormon culture, Mormon cinema, etc.). There is no suitable alternative that isn't clunky and cringey. The problem with the directive is that there isn't a suitable everyday speech alternative. The most avid proponents of the directive, in my opinion, don't spend any time interacting with non-Mormons in "normal" situations (like rank-and-file members do). They have their meetings and committees during the week, and then fly off to stake conferences and missions on the weekends. For that matter, for many, it's been decades since they've sat in Sunday classes and meetings at the ward/stake level. I've heard people object to this, saying that they talk to people all the time, but it is usually dignitaries and special settings and situations where it is more feasible to only use the full name of the Church. For "normal" people, "Mormon-nannying" people in conversations is off-putting and weird.

I've heard and pulled kids aside in the hall whom I've overheard insisting that "there's no such things as Mormons" (to questions about seminary, etc). When their friends are confused, they double down and say "there is no such thing as a Mormon." I've told them I know what they're trying to do, but being understood and not confusing is more important when they get sincere questions. I've actually heard a response "What about the church building across the street from the school?" "There's no such thing as Mormons).

I've noticed that it is increasingly common for normal, active members to refer to us as a people as Mormons, or to use Mormon as an adjective. This is something that is going to die on the vine, despite the "victory for Satan" rhetoric.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Allison wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:23 pm I’m confused. Do we no longer have Beehives, Mia Maids or Laurels? What are they now?
In my ward they're called YW 1, 2, and 3.

That reminds me, I was going to look up some women and priesthood quotes....😁

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Robin Hood wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:45 pm Why did we stop having the Gold & Green Ball?
Never heard of that. Do you mean the Blue and Gold Banquet for Scouts?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sarah wrote: January 10th, 2023, 2:58 pm
Robin Hood wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:45 pm Why did we stop having the Gold & Green Ball?
No. It was nothing to do with Scouts.
It was an annual Ball in each Stake for adults. Typically there would be a band, and we would dress up in our best clothes (dinner suit/tuxedos, black tie etc), and dance the night away.
Perhaps it wasn't a thing in the US.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Or the new names they’re choosing like the “Emblems of Belonging”.
The emblems of belonging remind each young woman to live the gospel…
Then why not “Emblems of Discipleship”? Can’t help but think that the belonging bit is a nod to those ever-present WEF corporate obligations.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Robin Hood wrote: January 10th, 2023, 3:15 pm
It was an annual Ball in each Stake for adults. Typically there would be a band, and we would dress up in our best clothes (dinner suit/tuxedos, black tie etc), and dance the night away.
My MIL often reminisces about the dances for adults. Too dangerous perhaps.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: January 10th, 2023, 9:57 am Or how about this one - "White and delightsome"... hey let's just change the Book of Mormon to make it sound more P.C. so we get more tithe payers.... "pure and delightsome".
I would point out that the first use of the word “pure” rather than “white” was in the 1843 Nauvoo edition of the Book of Mormon. That was the last edition edited by Joseph Smith before his death.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

We used to have green and gold balls which is probably the same as gold and green but just an antipodean variant.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Yes, it was - Gold & Green Balls originated here in the U.S., of course.

"In the early to mid-1900s, the Mutual Improvement Association (yet another changed program, known today as the Young Men and Young Women organizations) frequently sponsored dances and dance training. Gold and Green Balls were annual social dances held in each ward and stake. They have been discontinued, though youth dances are still held, usually at the stake level, around the world.

In 1922 Gold and Green were selected as the official MIA colors, and that same year the first Gold and Green Ball was held.

Gold and Green Balls were first introduced to the MIAs of the Church through a recommendation of Pres. Oscar A. Kirkham, then a member of the YMMIA general board. He proposed that each year the Mutuals sponsor a formal dance with the highest and most beautiful standards possible. Clarissa A. Beesley of the Young Women general board suggested using the names of the MIA colors, green and gold.

"These suggestions, adopted at the suggestion of Ellen Wallace Green, stands for youth and growth; gold stands for purity and perfection - combined, they symbolized the young men and women of the Church and their MIA program. Some years later, by official action of the general boards, the order of the words was changed from green and gold to gold and green so that they would be more euphonious."

Most, if not all, of the good things about LDS social culture are now gone, sadly.

Korsgaard46
captain of 50

Post by Korsgaard46 »

Allison wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:23 pm I’m confused. Do we no longer have Beehives, Mia Maids or Laurels? What are they now?
My daughter was just set apart as the president of the "Older Young Women's class". That's the exact phrase the bishop used to set her apart. She said there are only two young women's classes in our ward.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

It was definitely a thing in the US. It was for 16 and up, but attended by adults also. My boyfriend’s ward and my ward held them on the same evening back in Pleasant Grove Utah in 1974. We attended mine for the first half, his for the second half, and then he proposed. We are still married. 💗😀

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

The change away from the Mormon name is pretty silly.

Non members are going to continue calling the church Mormon and members as Mormons...that will not change.

Like it or not, the word Mormon was a brand. That brand was very positively accepted back in the days of the nationally televised homefront spots of the late70s and 80s. The church also saw it's biggest growth back then. They just abandoned their own brand.

That was a time, when one was proud to be a member of the church...it was PW (pre-wokeness).

Past presidents of the church had no problem with the Mormon brand, that's a RMN fettish. Now, I know he said it was inspired...but he also said the deadly-jab was a Godsend...so there is that.

Progressives are obsessed with words and labels. Everyone must comply with what they want to be said. Think proper pronouns here. Personally I think God is more concerned about behavior and what's in our hearts...than trying to eradicate long accepted names of the organization people may use.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

It was a thing in the US too. And the 17/18 yr old girls (debutantes) would be introduced one by one then they would dance with their father or grandfather etc.
Last edited by silverado on January 10th, 2023, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

All bundled into Young Women I believe. This is one change that slipped past me because I didn't grow up in the church and don't have family in it.

Not so keen on the MIA Maid label, because it sounds like some kind of product but I don't see why the other two names had to be ditched as well

The real reason may be simpler: in a lot of places there simply aren't enough girls to go through these programmes.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

It's still called Gospel Doctrine.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

CuriousThinker wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:55 pm It's still called Gospel Doctrine.
Maybe that one should change, though. “Correlated Teachings” or “The People’s Curriculum for Unification and Assimilation” (j/k, it’s not that bad)

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

It was popular here, too.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Lots of things have changed, including words in the BoM.

This video is old, but some may have not seen it. An exBishop points out some discrepancies from within the church mantra. He reads directly from official church literature. What was once considered anti-Mormon literature is now officially distributed by the church.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

"Faith in God"

I find this funny.