How to keep to the WoW & not get fat?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
NeveR
captain of 1,000

How to keep to the WoW & not get fat?

Post by NeveR »

The WoW urges people to eat a lot of grain.

This is a very common way for modern western humans to eat, but it's NOT a very natural or healthy diet for us. We are designed to eat animal fats and proteins, can't process gluten well and many polyunsaturated vegetable oils are chemically extracted and less healthy than saturated animal fats.

Plus high carb diets can make many people - specially older people - gain weight.

How do we combine eating low carb, paleo/healthy with keeping the WOW?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How to keep to the WoW & not get fat?

Post by Original_Intent »

NeveR wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:22 pm The WoW urges people to eat a lot of grain.

This is a very common way for modern western humans to eat, but it's NOT a very natural or healthy diet for us. We are designed to eat animal fats and proteins, can't process gluten well and many polyunsaturated vegetable oils are chemically extracted and less healthy than saturated animal fats.

Plus high carb diets can make many people - specially older people - gain weight.

Seek inspiration on eating healthy and follow it. The WoW as given may have worked well for a society that involved long days of manual labor. The point of the WoW is to maximize health and to be obedient. Be obedient to the spirit of the WoW, not the letter. or follow the letter if that is what the spirit directs.

NeveR
captain of 1,000

Post by NeveR »

Original_Intent wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:24 pm
NeveR wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:22 pm The WoW urges people to eat a lot of grain.

Seek inspiration on eating healthy and follow it.
My intuition has always been to avoid grain carbs almost totally. But my in-laws serve incredibly stodgy meals with bread, pasta etc - & it's what my husband expects & considers normal.

Both my in-laws are quite seriously overweight & so are two of my SiLs & two of my BiLs. My husband also struggles with his weight.

I feel powerfully sure they would all be healthier on lower carb, more eggs & fish & animal fats - but how to persuade them?!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

NeveR wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:32 pm

My intuition has always been to avoid grain carbs almost totally. But my in-laws serve incredibly stodgy meals with bread, pasta etc - & it's what my husband expects & considers normal.

Both my in-laws are quite seriously overweight & so are two of my SiLs & two of my BiLs. My husband also struggles with his weight.

I feel powerfully sure they would all be healthier on lower carb, more eggs & fish & animal fats - but how to persuade them?!
The Plant Paradox and Fat for Fuel.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

NeveR wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:32 pm

I agree with you, but persuading them - even your husband - is not your job.

If they are open to evidence (and if any of them are diabetic or pre-diabetic) there is a good YouTube channel that explains nutrition clearly in layman's terms. https://www.youtube.com/@drekberg Browse his videos and see if there is anything that might pique your husband's interest.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Does it really though? What is a "staff"? Do we perhaps need to reconsider what a "staff of life" is?

"All grain is ordained for the use of man ... to be the staff of life .."

Here's an uncommon interpretation I've heard based on the definition of "staff". What is a staff? One example is a walking staff that can support you in walking, but it's an accessory, it's not your primary means of being able to walk. Similarly a food that is a "staff" could be considered a support food, not a primary food. Grains are an easily available food to support life but other foods like vegetables and fruits are considered much more nutritious and vital to health, however they aren't as easily available or as easy to store (especially back in the 1800's).

I'm not saying I'm sold on this interpretation, but am curious what others think about this definition of "staff of life".

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Just a thought...It may be that the wheat our ancestors ate is not the same wheat we now have. I found this article by a Dr. Erica Elliott:

"Why has wheat become such a big problem? Some critics believe that wheat avoidance is simply the latest food craze. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Wheat conventionally grown in the US no longer resembles what our ancestors ate and what people referred to as the “staff of life.

In my medical practice, I began to notice a steep rise in gut complaints and food allergies, beginning in the early 1990s. Around the same time, a growing number of patients reported that they felt better when they were off wheat, even when the celiac tests were negative. I was determined to find out why these conditions were suddenly escalating in the general population."

Last October 2014, I went to Albuquerque for a conference on environmental medicine. At the conference I had the good fortune to hear Stephanie Seneff, PhD, senior scientist at MIT, talk about the harmful effects of glyphosate. She discussed her surprise at finding every sample of wheat she tested in her lab heavily contaminated with glyphosate. She co-authored a paper called “Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases.” The paper was published in a journal called Entropy, 2013.

In the paper, Dr. Seneff discusses how glyphosate harms our beneficial bacteria, suppressing the cytochrome P450 enzymes that play a major role in the detoxification pathway. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other environmental toxins by inhibiting their clearance from the body. The negative impact on the body is insidious and not immediately apparent. Over time, the inflammatory response can damage systems throughout the body."

The full article is here:
https://www.musingsmemoirandmedicine.co ... f-of-life/

I do believe that we should eat a wide variety of clean food, meaning organic non-gmo, but who knows these days what we are getting even when it says organic and non-gmo. We over eat because the food is usually nutrient depleted. We do not detox properly, if at all. We often frustrate our bodies by not allowing detoxing to happen. Yet it is so important to do so, so that we can allow our bodies to function better. The best thing, although not often easily done, is to grow our own food, raise our own meat. The next best thing is to find local farms who do care about raising good food. Hey, our ancestors used to do that...

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

Actually, humans are meant to eat a plant diet, not an animal diet. Our teeth are not made as the carnivores and our intestine is built for fruit, veggies, nuts and grains. But the grains today have glyphosate sprayed on them which are making us sick. Grains/breads/oats/brown rice are best if organic. Organic sprouted or sour dough breads are best. Penicillin and other vaccines damage the friendly flora in our gut.
Last edited by Say what? on January 4th, 2023, 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I agree with you NevR... carbs "stick" to me. I think potatoes are worse than grains and sugars are a major factor too. I've only made serious weight loss when I cut the carbs down.
Say what? wrote: January 4th, 2023, 2:33 am Actually, humans are meant to eat a plant diet, not an animal diet. Our teeth are not made as the carnivores and our intestine is built for fruit, veggies, nuts and grains. But the grains today have glyphosate sprayed on them which are making us sick. Grains/breads/oats/brown rice are best if organic. Organic sprouted or sour dough breads are best.
Grain processing is a major problem, I agree.

But many people are allergic to grains and they upset their guts.

Your claims about teeth are false though. We have the teeth of an omnivore. Did you ever see a horse or a cow with canine teeth? The other giveaway is that our eyes face forward. Herbivores have better peripheral vision and have eyes on the side of their faces.

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

Niemand wrote: January 4th, 2023, 2:37 am I agree with you NevR... carbs "stick" to me. I think potatoes are worse than grains and sugars are a major factor too. I've only made serious weight loss when I cut the carbs down.
Say what? wrote: January 4th, 2023, 2:33 am Actually, humans are meant to eat a plant diet, not an animal diet. Our teeth are not made as the carnivores and our intestine is built for fruit, veggies, nuts and grains. But the grains today have glyphosate sprayed on them which are making us sick. Grains/breads/oats/brown rice are best if organic. Organic sprouted or sour dough breads are best.
Grain processing is a major problem, I agree.

But many people are allergic to grains and they upset their guts.

Your claims about teeth are false though. We have the teeth of an omnivore. Did you ever see a horse or a cow with canine teeth? The other giveaway is that our eyes face forward. Herbivores have better peripheral vision and have eyes on the side of their faces.
Except, Gorillas and Pandas eat mostly vegetarian.
We have canines because we tear through a lot plants and vegetables. Since the fall, eventually much of the eco system changed to the consumption of flesh.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

My wife and I went on keto about 4 years ago, lost a bunch of weight and got healthier. She had an extremely overactive gag reflex that disappeared after about a month and I had gastric reflux that also went away. She’s now back to being a carb addict, but hasn’t gained any weight because she has incredible will power and can stop eating on a dime. Not so with me. I’m up about 10 lbs because I eat carbs with her on weekends and when she’s off work.

I’ve read that most people with gluten issues can eat einkorn, the type of wheat people ate back in the 1800s and earlier. Todays wheat is hybridized and has all kinds of extra protein molecules it didn’t used to have. Proteins are allergenic. Also, the glyphosate as has been mentioned.

They question was, how to get people to change what they eat. When in practice (chiropractic), the hardest thing to do was get people to change their diet. I usually didn’t try as I felt it was a waste of effort. The desire to change has to come from within. The YouTube suggestion might be good as people are used to watching videos these days.

If you buy the groceries, you have the power to change the diet of people in your house. You cannot eat things you don’t buy, so don’t buy polyunsaturated industrial seed oils or foods that contain them. If you can’t get them off grains, buy only organic. If you make your own bread, try the einkorn. It’s pricy, but could be worth it for health reasons. Lastly, be the example. Your husband will follow, or he won’t. Other than controlling what food enters your house, there’s not much else you can do.

https://www.ancientgrains.com/shop/eink ... aper-bags/

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

madvin wrote: January 4th, 2023, 12:47 am

Just a thought...It may be that the wheat our ancestors ate is not the same wheat we now have. I found this article by a Dr. Erica Elliott:

"Why has wheat become such a big problem? Some critics believe that wheat avoidance is simply the latest food craze. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Wheat conventionally grown in the US no longer resembles what our ancestors ate and what people referred to as the “staff of life.

In my medical practice, I began to notice a steep rise in gut complaints and food allergies, beginning in the early 1990s. Around the same time, a growing number of patients reported that they felt better when they were off wheat, even when the celiac tests were negative. I was determined to find out why these conditions were suddenly escalating in the general population."

Last October 2014, I went to Albuquerque for a conference on environmental medicine. At the conference I had the good fortune to hear Stephanie Seneff, PhD, senior scientist at MIT, talk about the harmful effects of glyphosate. She discussed her surprise at finding every sample of wheat she tested in her lab heavily contaminated with glyphosate. She co-authored a paper called “Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases.” The paper was published in a journal called Entropy, 2013.

In the paper, Dr. Seneff discusses how glyphosate harms our beneficial bacteria, suppressing the cytochrome P450 enzymes that play a major role in the detoxification pathway. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other environmental toxins by inhibiting their clearance from the body. The negative impact on the body is insidious and not immediately apparent. Over time, the inflammatory response can damage systems throughout the body."

The full article is here:
https://www.musingsmemoirandmedicine.co ... f-of-life/

I do believe that we should eat a wide variety of clean food, meaning organic non-gmo, but who knows these days what we are getting even when it says organic and non-gmo. We over eat because the food is usually nutrient depleted. We do not detox properly, if at all. We often frustrate our bodies by not allowing detoxing to happen. Yet it is so important to do so, so that we can allow our bodies to function better. The best thing, although not often easily done, is to grow our own food, raise our own meat. The next best thing is to find local farms who do care about raising good food. Hey, our ancestors used to do that...
I cook with einkorn non-hybridized organic flour because of exactly this.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Say what? wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:01 am Except, Gorillas and Pandas eat mostly vegetarian.
We have canines because we tear through a lot plants and vegetables. Since the fall, eventually much of the eco system changed to the consumption of flesh.
Canines are pretty useless on plants and veg.

A lot of people think pandas are descended from carnivores. Whatever they are, they have to spend much of their lives sleeping off their diet.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't think the WoW urges us to eat a lot of grain, it just says that grain is good, the staff of life etc. As are fruit and vegetables (herbs).
Wheat in it's older form was good for us, but modern strains are not nearly as useful to us as they used to be. Modification of grains to obtain higher yields (and therefore higher profits) has led to considerable compromise in nutrition. The love of money is the root of all evil.

But I have a slightly different view of the WoW, and it's less to do with our diets. Obviously it is to do with healthy balanced eating habits, but there is in my view another purpose.

Think of all the millions of acres given over to producing things like tea and coffee instead of food for indigenous people. Tea and coffee have very little food value, they are simply used to flavour water.
Those indigenous people used to be able to feed themselves from the land, but now are wage slaves to large corporations.
Perhaps the Lord doesn't want us to contribute to this.

The WoW also tells us not to eat wild animals except in the most extreme circumstances. It appears to draw a distinction between farmed meat and wild meat. But even farmed meat is to be eaten sparingly. Is this born out of divine concern for modern factory farming practices, which have been developed to maximise profits?

The Lord warns us and forewarns us, and does so because of wicked and conspiring men.
Just a thought.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Just a couple thoughts. First of all, the wheat and most commonly available grain we have today is completely different than the grain 150+ years ago. Most modern grain is genetically modified to, among other things, be both addictive, and make us obese. There is a book that delves deep into this called Corn Belly. And yes, wicked, greedy and conspiring men are largely responsible.

And, there are at least a couple other really good books that support the theory that a conventional modern American diet is seriously screwed up, including The Makers Diet, and The Big Fat Surprise.

There is no question, most modern, highly processed and modified food is a minefield to navigate.

And OI is absolutely right about the nutritional requirements of a sedate modern lifestyle versus those of people who actually “work” for a living.

Several years ago, I managed a commercial sheep shearing crew for a season. All smallish Peruvians. The previous year I had worked with a Uruguayan crew. And I have spent quite a bit of time around the Mexican crew of one of my friends. Sheep shearing is one of the most physically demanding jobs in the world, and requires A LOT of calories. I learned a lot from watching what those various crews ate — and despite the fact that they were all Spanish speaking Latinos, their diets were very different, and it made a big difference in their work.

Bottom line: At this point I think there’s much more to the modern diet equation than the WoW.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

When I prayed about my diet, God told me to instead focus on getting emotionally healthy. It's not natural to crave food that causes bodily harm. If you try to stop yourself from eating food you WANT even if you don't need it, you will just make a war within yourself. Heal the war first, then you will WANT to eat right.

The way you heal that war is to practice loving yourself and this starts to heal you, even if you are in a state of weakness. The word of wisdom is adapted for the WEAK. Thank goodness, I am the type that should never drink a bit of wine. With my addictive tendencies toward food.... thank goodness the word of wisdom advises me to never drink other types of addictive substances.

D&C 89: 3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

I have practiced making bread with regular wheat, Kamut which is an ancient grain, and Spelt. Spelt hands down is the best wheat ever. It is easy to digest, it helps me lose weight and feel good, and it is not a corrupted grain.It is soft and tastes good like white wheat does. When you naturally ferment homemade bread with a natural yeast starter, it pre-digests gluten unlike commercial yeast, which is how people ate bread for most of history.
Last edited by Juliet on January 4th, 2023, 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

It truly is about how often you eat.

Grain is good. It is for man.

“In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Meat is also good. It is for man.

It's even for a resurrected man(peep Jesus eating meat as a Risen Man)

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I think that first we need to establish that it was NOT GIVEN by way of commandment. Early saints practiced a much different form of it than we do today, and I honestly don't believe that it is a commandment, only a guideline. A recommendation. It shouldn't be a stumbling block to salvation and / or temple blessings, etc. Today it is just another way for the modern church to exercise control and dominion. And actually it's more than that. It's a gross distraction from principles that matter exponentially more.

In the near future, as society collapses under the calamities and judgements of God, the ease of modern living will become a distant memory. Toil and labor will become requirements for survival. Neither your office job, nor your office will remain. Nor your large suburban home and your comforts and luxuries. Manual labor and the daily struggle to survive the elements will become the norm. Mankind will have to re-learn such skills or will not survive. Your 'dietary choices ' will become trivial. There won't be vegans, and probably won't be very many obese people, either. If you have food at all, you will be considered fortunate. Alcohol may very well be a useful commodity, as it was for previous generations. Tobacco could be a very useful herb, as well as the cannabis products.

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

6DC85831-59CC-4B65-9B56-FE26C095177D.png
6DC85831-59CC-4B65-9B56-FE26C095177D.png (519.64 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Modern day grains are very different than the grains when the WoW was presented. There also was not highly processed seed oils in virtually every meal either. People were also far more active then than people are generally today.
Last edited by Niyr on January 4th, 2023, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

Niemand wrote: January 4th, 2023, 4:29 am
Say what? wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:01 am Except, Gorillas and Pandas eat mostly vegetarian.
Canines are pretty useless on plants and veg.

A lot of people think pandas are descended from carnivores. Whatever they are, they have to spend much of their lives sleeping off their diet.
Our canines help us grip our food or tear it, like our sandwiches, apples and carrots.
The lion kingdom sleeps or lays down the majority of the day.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I have lost 65 lbs by eating a moderate wheat and milk breakfast (with vitamins), oat and meat lunch and oat and cheese dinner - when I am able to stick to my preferred diet. I'm healthy as a young horse and have tons of energy and am almost 70, BMI about 25.
Everyone is different, you have to find your own way.
WOW is more about teaching people to care for their bodies than ordering them what to eat. By and large wheat is one of the best things you can eat, although I am opposed to GMOs. Smoking IS bad, we now know and drinking has always been bad for a person. It is timeless advice. AND having the destroying angel pass me by seems like a thing I want.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Craig Johnson wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:17 am

I have lost 65 lbs by eating a moderate wheat and milk breakfast (with vitamins), oat and meat lunch and oat and cheese dinner - when I am able to stick to my preferred diet. I'm healthy as a young horse and have tons of energy and am almost 70, BMI about 25.
Everyone is different, you have to find your own way.
WOW is more about teaching people to care for their bodies than ordering them what to eat. By and large wheat is one of the best things you can eat, although I am opposed to GMOs. Smoking IS bad, we now know and drinking has always been bad for a person. It is timeless advice. AND having the destroying angel pass me by seems like a thing I want.
I've known many faithful members who lived the WoW to a T....and yet suffered the ravages of cancer, diabetes, Crohn's and other diseases. Long, painful, ravaging deaths. So which destroying angel do you believe is going to pass you by?

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

It has been quite a long time since I had read this book,
https://wordofwisdombook.com/product/wo ... sdom-book/
The Word of Wisdom: Hope, Healing, and the Destroying Angel. However, I was on a kick about studying the WoW and found the book to be pretty interesting. It appears that the book is available online for free now: https://wordofwisdombook.com/free-book/
Just thought someone may find it of interest.
I have had WoW pangs of guilt many times over the years and have endeavored at different times to adhere better. However, with family members doing KETO and other diets over the years, cooking has become a chore where once it was a joy. Ugh. Needless to say, WoW hasn't yet happened for me, but I can aspire! :)