Moscow, Idaho Murders, Theories, Facts and Speculation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Re: Moscow, Idaho Murders, Theories, Facts and Speculation

Post by OCDMOM »

Someone was wondering if the others were killed because they were witnesses.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

OCDMOM wrote: December 24th, 2022, 7:06 pm Someone was wondering if the others were killed because they were witnesses.
Weird that they’re are no breaks in the case being reported.

Someone call in Peter Hurkos. :idea:

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

OCDMOM wrote: December 24th, 2022, 7:06 pm Someone was wondering if the others were killed because they were witnesses.
Yes, my thought.
Njb

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

the white Kia crashed into a pole in Eugene Oregon has been ruled out by law enforcement. There are currently 90 white kias' registered for parking at the university. Law enforcement is currently looking for tips from the public to find the right white Kia, while they go through the registered roster.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

So there is an odd side-development in this case, where a tarot reader who posts on social media accused this Idaho Univ. gender studies professor Rebecca Scofield of involvement in the murder, to the point where Ms. Scofield is suing her for defamation and to cease posting about her.

Out of curiosity, I queried an acquaintance who is gifted at seeing auras to look at this picture. They said this woman appears very evil and surmised she had some type of involvement in the murders, but that is merely opinion. In any case I wouldn't plan on a quick resolution to this one. The local police have cleared Ms. Scofield, so she's already off the list of suspects. Who knows? Certainly a very strange case.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

This case feels like the police are doing as little as possible.
It feels like some witnesses are afraid to come forward.
It could be solved if the boy that told Maddie a few hours before she was killed, “Maddie they’re going to come after you”.
If that boy would come forward and explain his statement that he made to Maddie and explain who *they* are: this case would be solved.

Njb

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:42 am This case feels like the police are doing as little as possible.
It feels like some witnesses are afraid to come forward.
It could be solved if the boy that told Maddie a few hours before she was killed, “Maddie they’re going to come after you”.
If that boy would come forward and explain his statement that he made to Maddie and explain who *they* are: this case would be solved.

Njb
Although I have been just as dumb-founded and perplexed about all this as everyone else, I know that I haven't been following it as close as some, and; although I had seen information to the effect that Maddie and Kaylee had been furiously texting and/or attempting to contact someone, but until the above post, I had never seen anything to the effect that some "boy" had told her that "they" were coming after her. Was it her ex, Jake, who told her that? Because, here's the deal: It's not just a matter of hoping that someone will "come forward" and tell what they know. If the investigators are fully aware of this information, and that someone said something like that, they have the power to subpoena that person, bring them in, and essentially compel them to tell what they know. If it doesn't involve any possible self-incrimination, under that kind of scenario, and especially in a case like this, it would be pretty tough to dodge being compelled to provide information. Law enforcement has plenty of incentives and/or leverage at its disposal, including contempt, obstruction of justice, immunity, etc. So, my guess is, LE probably has a whole lot more information than they have been sharing with the public.

But I was thinking this morning that this case does kind of remind me of the murder case involving the lesbian couple in Moab as year or so ago, that really seemed to be stumping the cops. Last night I heard, though, that they were closing the investigation because of someone who had committed suicide, and had shared information with a friend that only LE knew, so they concluded it had to have been that person.

Anyway, definitely a head-scratcher. But I'm guessing LE knows a lot more than they have been saying.
Last edited by tmac on December 30th, 2022, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

SmallFarm wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:59 am
Well, this looks like a welcome development, and essentially confirms what I was suggesting before, as I was posting earlier, oblivious to this new information. And the sudden move to clean the house could probably be taken as a pretty solid sign that they think they’ve got their guy. It will definitely be interesting to see what the story is on this guy.

I just want to say that I for one respect the approach LE took, without feeling like they needed to let all the Internet Sleuths run the show. But ultimately, proof will be in the pudding.
Last edited by tmac on December 30th, 2022, 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

28 year old PhD student studying criminal justice :o

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

SmallFarm,

He looks like he came from some govt agency-central casting.

Njb

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Interesting turn of events. He looks alot creepy. I really am interested in the why of all this. I was surprised to see in notjamesbond post that someone had told Maddie someone was after her. I had not seen that and I have been trying to keep up on the story. Could you elaborate on that notjamesbond? Was this about the supposed stalker?

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Farmerchick.
I have a screen shot of the verbal exchange where Maddie and fellow are talking with closed caption.
Forget how to post here

PM a cell number and will send it, if u want and u can post it.

Njb

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Reporters ask the dumbest questions. I will help them out.
The guy was caught by
A. They found the license plate number of the car, or someone reported on the car.

B. Someone turned him in.

C. They used DNA and found a match.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Interesting twist?

Rumour is that suspect asked police if anyone else had been arrested yet.

Havenseeker
captain of 10

Post by Havenseeker »

Some thing that most people don’t know unless they are in the industry is that the police can’t just arrest someone because they “know” the person did the crime. Basically, they have to put together the entire case and have it ready for court before they can arrest the person (the degree of completion varies by state but having your hard evidence in order is pretty industry standard). Based on my experience, they probably knew who their suspect was fairly early on and were keeping tabs on him while they waited for the concrete evidence to come back to them by way of subpoenas. The best evidence for the fact that they knew their “perp” early on is how little they released to the public - the less the police know, the more they share in hopes of getting a lead. And regarding subpoenas, telecom and banks are notoriously slow at responding to subpoenas - even for high profile cases. So they were likely waiting for all the pieces to fall in place before they made their arrest.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I think the Prosecutor went into his office on Christmas Eve.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

So the car was a Hyundai Elantra....every report that I saw was about a white kia. I even read they were checking out 90 kias registered to people in the area. Maybe that was just misinfo to keep the perp from knowing they were on to him. I also read they found his DNA but it wasn't in the data base so they looked on genealogy DNA bases to identify this perp. The police had to know who he was for a while. The whole thing is pretty amazing. I still want to know the why. There had to be some connection between at least one of the murdered students....

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I lost track of what kind of car they were looking for. All that stuck in my head was that it was white. But according to this article, it was a Hyundai Elantra that LE requested public help with from the outset.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50548606/su ... -the-crime

I’m having a hard time reconciling this in my head. What person — especially a criminal justice grad student — who has committed this kind of horrific crime, and knowing that LE is looking for a white Hyundai Elantra, then has his dad fly out, and they drive that car together clear across the country, etc.?

I’m having a really hard time imagining that anyone in that situation wouldn’t be disappearing the car somewhere, like even just finding a low tech storage unit somewhere, and using it as a garage, to get the car off the street.

It just seems really strange. To think that you’re completely out in the open, driving this car around the area for weeks, and then across country with your dad, the whole time knowing that at any minute you could be stopped and arrested, leaving your dad saying saying “WTF?”

Yes, this picture is going to need a whole lot more fleshing-out, including the big “Why,” before it’s going to make much sense — and maybe it never will.

LE seems really confident. So how out of touch with reality can this guy — and his family — be? Everyone else thinks he’s a creep, but his family can’t see anything abnormal? Maybe that was part of his attempted cover with his family — to try to act as nonchalant and normal as ever — the whole time knowing that SWAT could kick down their door at any second, or stop you on the road or at a gas station in Nebraska (like they recently did with the creep who abducted the 13 year-old), leaving your parents saying WTF is going on?

Just seems really strange and hard to reconcile. Or is it just me?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I wonder if this dude felt he could get away w/ the crime because he was studying Criminology.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

New rumors out that he followed these kids around. He wore gloves everywhere after the murders. He probably wanted to see if he could get away with it. I think he will still try to win in court. I think he is shocked they caught him.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

tmac wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:28 am I lost track of what kind of car they were looking for. All that stuck in my head was that it was white. But according to this article, it was a Hyundai Elantra that LE requested public help with from the outset.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50548606/su ... -the-crime

I’m having a hard time reconciling this in my head. What person — especially a criminal justice grad student — who has committed this kind of horrific crime, and knowing that LE is looking for a white Hyundai Elantra, then has his dad fly out, and they drive that car together clear across the country, etc.?

I’m having a really hard time imagining that anyone in that situation wouldn’t be disappearing the car somewhere, like even just finding a low tech storage unit somewhere, and using it as a garage, to get the car off the street.

It just seems really strange. To think that you’re completely out in the open, driving this car around the area for weeks, and then across country with your dad, the whole time knowing that at any minute you could be stopped and arrested, leaving your dad saying saying “WTF?”

Yes, this picture is going to need a whole lot more fleshing-out, including the big “Why,” before it’s going to make much sense — and maybe it never will.

LE seems really confident. So how out of touch with reality can this guy — and his family — be? Everyone else thinks he’s a creep, but his family can’t see anything abnormal? Maybe that was part of his attempted cover with his family — to try to act as nonchalant and normal as ever — the whole time knowing that SWAT could kick down their door at any second, or stop you on the road or at a gas station in Nebraska (like they recently did with the creep who abducted the 13 year-old), leaving your parents saying WTF is going on?

Just seems really strange and hard to reconcile. Or is it just me?
Why try to ditch the car when you know that will make you look more guilty?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I’m not convinced this is an open and shut case. As a retired attorney and former prosecutor, it is my perspective that it looks like it must have taken about a week to persuade a judge that there was sufficient probable cause to issue an arrest warrant.

Like they have clearly stated, although it is true that they have made an arrest, their job is just getting started.

I agree that disappearing the car would make him look more guilty, but it is unclear that they always knew who the car belonged to. If it disappeared before they figured that out, that would have removed one important element of their probable cause.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
Last edited by tmac on January 1st, 2023, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Kind of a micro representation of what is wrong with our society.

He has a master's degree in criminology, but failed to recognize that murder is wrong.

Our universities turn out thousands of trained students who have no moral foundation.