Why I’m Leaving the Mormon Church

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Re: Why I’m Leaving the Mormon Church

Post by BenMcCrea »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:14 am Ben, you are living a “fantasy” religion. I’m excited for the day when we all get to visit with Joseph and learn what he actually taught while he was alive.
It must be hard losing the Spirit and everything. It’s must really hurt. You just want to lash out and accuse others. It’s ok I get it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I don’t think there’s ever a way I could stay in the church. I’d have to shut down the majority of who I am just to sit through church meetings. The only way that it would actually happen is if the HG prompted me to go. And even then, the Lord would get a big “Really? Really Lord? Are you sure about that?” It would potentially be followed by some stones and arrows. :)

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

Atrasado wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:22 am
BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:13 am
iWriteStuff wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:47 am
BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:36 am I love to hear that people are leaving the restored Church of Jesus Christ. It means that Heber C Kimball’s prophecy was exactly right!

By the way, the very fact you’re on this forum means you can’t leave the Church alone!

So big shout out to all you apostates for fulfilling that. 👏
Hey we couldn't do it without folks like you, Ben. ;)
I wondered who would get in there first.

Just remember, if the truth claims of the Church were true in 1830, and Jesus Christ really did restore his Church, then it’s still His Church in 2022.

Yeh I agree there might be a few staffing problems, but there always have been. When RMN is dead you’ll just blame somebody else. You’re probably fantasy Mormons - your religion was based on fantasy, and now you’ve discovered that RMN and the team are just ordinary men you’re all boo hoo, it’s not fair - we wanted Gandalf or the Pope!

But it’s all good, like I said This is a kinder more humane cleansing than your eyeballs popping out as you’re sat in the Temple or something.

Adieu my friends, Adieu! 🤣
Ben, I'm staying in the Church but you are nuts. You think poorly of people who have noticed how corrupt Church leaders are and have the courage to do something about it? Why?

Why not call out our leadership for encouraging the members to poison themselves? Why do they get a pass on the many other sins they are committing right now?

They aren't ordinary men. They have high and holy callings and they are dishonoring those callings. They, more than these friends, need a call to repentance. Would to God that they might find repentance but I fear that train has already left the station and might not ever return. We'll see.
There you go with your false accusations. Did I say I thought poorly of anybody? I just said it’s good that people are leaving because that’s exactly what Heber C Kimball said would happen.
So stop falsely accusing people, grow a pair, and get on with your life!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:25 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:14 am Ben, you are living a “fantasy” religion. I’m excited for the day when we all get to visit with Joseph and learn what he actually taught while he was alive.
It must be hard losing the Spirit and everything. It’s must really hurt. You just want to lash out and accuse others. It’s ok I get it.
Ben, I get it, I’ve been there. You’re not the first to accuse me of having lost the Spirit. As I’ve stated in other threads, it’s not that I’m “lashing out”, I’m simply pointing out the doctrinal discrepancies of the church. Church teachings don’t align with the scriptures, particularly w/ the BoM. I’m trying to stay true to what Christ actually taught. That process requires the exposing of lies, false beliefs, traditions, and corrupt religion.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:36 am I love to hear that people are leaving the restored Church of Jesus Christ. It means that Heber C Kimball’s prophecy was exactly right!

By the way, the very fact you’re on this forum means you can’t leave the Church alone!

So big shout out to all you apostates for fulfilling that. 👏

Just remember, if the truth claims of the Church were true in 1830, and Jesus Christ really did restore his Church, then it’s still His Church in 2022.

Yeh I agree there might be a few staffing problems, but there always have been. When RMN is dead you’ll just blame somebody else. You’re probably fantasy Mormons - your religion was based on fantasy, and now you’ve discovered that RMN and the team are just ordinary men you’re all boo hoo, it’s not fair - we wanted Gandalf or the Pope!

But it’s all good, like I said This is a kinder more humane cleansing than your eyeballs popping out as you’re sat in the Temple or something.

Pardon me, but it’s “fantasy members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”. ;)

FIFY

Adios, muchacho, adiós!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

One of the reasons I continue to engage w/ members of the LDS church is to help them find greater peace and happiness. I came to understand for myself that the Lord is much more kind and generous than what the LDS church teaches.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:22 am
ransomme wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:57 am Plus I'd rather be kicked out 😂.

Jesus style, but less bloody and less death. I'll say it how it is and let them decide.
I’ve considered that route as well. I just know that that route is the final outcome for me regardless. Records in or out, I’ll never feel comfortable in the LDS structure. I’ve partaken of too many beautiful fruits to ever look back and have any feeling of satiation for spiritual things.
Understood. I don't get mine from the corporate structure either. It's all from personal interactions, from personal time engagement, etc.

Although I would say that being within the structure gives me access to work with the people. I don't care about the leaders.

Like I got to be in charge of the Christmas program, do I didn't have one piece of pagan crap in the celebration. I kicked the Santa and every other tradition to the curb. I wrote my own nativity skit version, and picked the best songs. The kids still got gifts from the wisemen that were tied into being like Jesus.

I also get to teach/effigy edify every Sunday in elders quorum and YA Sunday school. I never regurgitate conference talks. We have good discussions that are meaningful. And I get to present God's words in scripture cleanly, letting people reach understanding on their own while being taught by the Spirit.

I also get missionaries over weekly, families from Church over all the time and so on. Last Sunday we had three couples (and a few kids) over for dinner and socializing. A good discussion started about the Gospel, and then put of the blue one of the ladies asked what I thought about Masonic type stuff in temple ceremonies. And this kind of thing happens regularly. People open up, ask for help, etc. This is made possible by being in contact with the Church.
Last edited by ransomme on December 20th, 2022, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

So let’s get this right - you guys spend all your time on LDSFF berating the leaders, endlessly discussing doctrines of the LDS Church, endlessly claiming that the Church has apostatised, endlessly waiting for some mysterious Chosen One, Servant, King, somebody - none of you seem too sure - because you’ve all moved on and can now leave the Church alone. What a pile of 💩. You’re fooling nobody - only yourselves maybe!

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:36 am So big shout out to all you apostates for fulfilling that. 👏
Ah, I’ve been waiting for that moronic title to be thrown around.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:28 am
Atrasado wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:22 am

Ben, I'm staying in the Church but you are nuts. You think poorly of people who have noticed how corrupt Church leaders are and have the courage to do something about it? Why?

Why not call out our leadership for encouraging the members to poison themselves? Why do they get a pass on the many other sins they are committing right now?

They aren't ordinary men. They have high and holy callings and they are dishonoring those callings. They, more than these friends, need a call to repentance. Would to God that they might find repentance but I fear that train has already left the station and might not ever return. We'll see.
There you go with your false accusations. Did I say I thought poorly of anybody? I just said it’s good that people are leaving because that’s exactly what Heber C Kimball said would happen.
So stop falsely accusing people, grow a pair, and get on with your life!
You're tone said it. Clearly. Sounds like you're the one that needs to grow a little.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:56 am So let’s get this right - you guys spend all your time on LDSFF berating the leaders, endlessly discussing doctrines of the LDS Church, endlessly claiming that the Church has apostatised, endlessly waiting for some mysterious Chosen One, Servant, King, somebody - none of you seem too sure - because you’ve all moved on and can now leave the Church alone. What a pile of 💩. You’re fooling nobody - only yourselves maybe!
No, I have many other hobbies. But I do take my spirituality seriously. I care about people who are being spiritually (and sometimes physically) abused by their church leaders. And I’m not waiting on bated breath for the OMAS in order for me to live Christ’s teachings.

Telling someone that they “can’t leave the church alone” is akin to telling them that Christ’s teachings shouldn’t matter to them. Although I don’t care much for the church these days and have less and less interest in knowing anything they say. I have found other fountains of knowledge that are far more fruitful. That’s the part that many people like you don’t seem to see. I’ve shared lots of enlightening things on this forum that go well beyond LDS dogmas.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:56 am So let’s get this right - you guys spend all your time on LDSFF berating the leaders, endlessly discussing doctrines of the LDS Church, endlessly claiming that the Church has apostatised, endlessly waiting for some mysterious Chosen One, Servant, King, somebody - none of you seem too sure - because you’ve all moved on and can now leave the Church alone. What a pile of 💩. You’re fooling nobody - only yourselves maybe!
When you finally leave a place of suffering, and your friends and family are traveling down the same mindless and self-righteous path that you are obviously on, then only a fool wouldn’t turn around and reach out a helping hand.

You would expect us to reach dry land after a shipwreck and turn our eyes to the sky, ignoring those still struggling in the water.

Or maybe you need a pioneer analogy… wouldn’t you cross a freezing river and then turn back to help the others? Or should should you just “move on” and hope that everyone else makes it on their own.

For a person who supposedly believes in Christ, in family, in unity… you don’t seem to understand why many of us want to help our brothers and sisters when we see that they are in danger.

If we are wrong, that’s another matter. But instead of sitting like a monkey and throwing your sh*t, why don’t you help educate us? Currently all I’ve seen from you is endless nonsense about how we can’t leave anyone alone… have you stopped to ask why? Better yet, when will you realize that you are proving that you can’t leave us alone? (By your standard of what it means to “leave alone”).

We’re not bitter, homie. Just want to know the truth and help others find it as well. Your demeaning and self-righteous approach to this conversation doesn’t help anyone.

Let’s have some genuine and constructive discussions instead.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:59 am
BenMcCrea wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:36 am So big shout out to all you apostates for fulfilling that. 👏
Ah, I’ve been waiting for that moronic title to be thrown around.
It was much more prevalent ten years ago on this forum. But many who threw that word around are much more awake today and don't use that word anymore. So many TBM (True Blue Mormon) folks have simply left the church. Ironic.

I remain in the church despite its glaring problems because of the following scripture:

D&C 123:13 Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—
14 These should then be attended to with great earnestness.
15 Let no man count them as small things; for there is much which lieth in futurity, pertaining to the saints, which depends upon these things.

I love my neighbors and I desire to continue fellowshipping with them. I have seen many of them wake up in recent years and the pandemic and RMN's "urging" receive the "literal godsend" have been instrumental in this. When I first moved into my ward about eight years ago, they were all about "following the prophet." I beat my drum about being "disciples of Jesus Christ" and teaching about Zion and seeking Jesus' face long before the church switched gears and made it cool to become disciples of Jesus. Today, they don't see me as so far off anymore. Some even avoid my gaze and won't greet me unless I first smile and greet them. But I love my ward family with all my heart and rejoice to see the scales slowly falling off of their eyes. Their testimonies during Fast Sunday are different today. The second reason I stay in the church besides wanting to remain fellowshipping with them is to partake of the sacrament which I still consider valid and binding. I take the prayers for the bread and water very seriously and I desire weekly to witness to my God that I DO ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Rather than taking your names off the books, ask to keep your membership record in Salt Lake rather than your local units. Just because the church is going through an extremely rough period, doesn't mean that it's not the Lord's church. He will eventually correct the ship. Removing your name from the records also nullifies all ordinances and priesthood authority.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
onefour1 wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm Depressing thread.
Why?

I'm super excited for my friend. Why not be happy for someone who is breaking cycles of abuse and false traditions and beliefs?
Are the ordinances we partake in not valid any longer because the apostasy of the leaders? We have no control over the changes they make to them thus bringing condemnation on their heads not ours. So why give up your ordinances over things you can't control ?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

marc wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:05 am The second reason I stay in the church besides wanting to remain fellowshipping with them is to partake of the sacrament which I still consider valid and binding.
And you can't do that in your home or with friends? Do you think this only has to be done on the Sabbath?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Vision wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:24 am Are the ordinances we partake in not valid any longer because the apostasy of the leaders? We have no control over the changes they make to them thus bringing condemnation on their heads not ours. So why give up your ordinances over things you can't control ?
The ordinances in the LDS version of the endowment have become corrupted. They are not taught correctly or with any real depth. Stepping away from the church does not invalidate my commitment to covenants and ordinances. In fact, stepping away from the church is part of keeping my covenants with the Lord. Members have been conditioned to believe that a person can only make a covenant with God by jumping through 15 temple questions and sustaining men. That is a fallacy.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Sunain wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:15 am Rather than taking your names off the books, ask to keep your membership record in Salt Lake rather than your local units. Just because the church is going through an extremely rough period, doesn't mean that it's not the Lord's church. He will eventually correct the ship. Removing your name from the records also nullifies all ordinances and priesthood authority.
I actually want my records to be removed so that others know of the "awful situation" that is happening w/in the church. The Lord Himself taught that he would take His gospel from among them. Removing my name does nothing in invalidating my commitment to the Lord and my desire to follow Him. it does not invalidate ordinances or covenants, nor authority. That's the great misconception w/in Mormondom. Just ask Alma that same question as he fled the courts of King Noah.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:27 am In fact, stepping away from the church is part of keeping my covenants with the Lord.
What covenant are you keeping with the Lord by leaving, just curious?

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Vision wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:24 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
onefour1 wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm Depressing thread.
Why?

I'm super excited for my friend. Why not be happy for someone who is breaking cycles of abuse and false traditions and beliefs?
Are the ordinances we partake in not valid any longer because the apostasy of the leaders? We have no control over the changes they make to them thus bringing condemnation on their heads not ours. So why give up your ordinances over things you can't control ?
This is a great question. Because we actually teach that this is exactly what happened to the Catholics. Which leads us to believe that it could happen to us as well. But there are many who claim that we have been promised that cannot happen in our day and that God will kill off as many leaders as necessary to make sure the authority is never lost. But this belief can't really be supported directly by any scripture or revelation. You have to use the same sort of connect-the-dots process to justify this belief that got us the idea that blacks couldn't have the priesthood or that a man should have 40 wives.

And then this leads to a bigger question. If the power of the priesthood is predicated on righteousness, then are ordinances valid when they are performed by those who are unrighteous? Is my baptism valid if performed by someone who was practicing adultery at the time he baptized me? D&C 121:37 would seem to say that it is not valid, yet we teach that it is.

I think at this point, the church has played so loose and free with priesthood and ordinances that they are relatively meaningless, hence we see very little power in the priesthood or the power of Godliness in our ordinances. This isn't to say that those with faith are not rewarded for their righteous desires and actions. Of course they are. But this occurs in every denomination and says little about whether the authority and power of the priesthood still resides in our church.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:29 am I actually want my records to be removed so that others know of the "awful situation" that is happening w/in the church.
That's not proving anything to anyone, especially the Lord.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Vision wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:37 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:27 am In fact, stepping away from the church is part of keeping my covenants with the Lord.
What covenant are you keeping with the Lord by leaving, just curious?
The most basic, to love the Lord and keep HIS commandments. The very covenants found in the sacrament prayer. I cannot keep His commandments while remaining in the LDS church. The Lord taught me not to trust in the arm of flesh, yet the LDS church "prophet" has told me that there are 15 men in whom I can place my "complete trust." The church teaches anti-Christian philosophies. So naturally, the Lord has encouraged me to follow Him and not them.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Sunain wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:45 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:29 am I actually want my records to be removed so that others know of the "awful situation" that is happening w/in the church.
That's not proving anything to anyone, especially the Lord.
Yes, it is. Members need to know that people are willing to stand up for what is right, and sometimes that means removing themselves from corruption. I wholeheartedly believe that many are aware that things aren't right, but they are unwilling to take any meaningful steps because they are scared. Scared of what others will think of them. To hell with that. Do what the Lord has put in your heart.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

ransomme wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:52 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:22 am
ransomme wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:57 am Plus I'd rather be kicked out 😂.

Jesus style, but less bloody and less death. I'll say it how it is and let them decide.
I’ve considered that route as well. I just know that that route is the final outcome for me regardless. Records in or out, I’ll never feel comfortable in the LDS structure. I’ve partaken of too many beautiful fruits to ever look back and have any feeling of satiation for spiritual things.
Understood. I don't get mine from the corporate structure either. It's all from personal interactions, from personal time engagement, etc.

Although I would say that being within the structure gives me access to work with the people. I don't care about the leaders.

Like I got to be in charge of the Christmas program, do I didn't have one piece of pagan crap in the celebration. I kicked the Santa and every other tradition to the curb. I wrote my own nativity skit version, and picked the best songs. The kids still got gifts from the wisemen that was tied into being like Jesus.

I also get to teach/effigy every Sunday in elders quorum and YA Sunday school. I never regurgitate conference talks. We have good discussions that are meaningful. And I get to present God's words in scripture cleanly, letting people reach understanding on their own while being taught by the Spirit.

I also get missionaries over weekly, families from Church over all the time and so on. Last Sunday we had three couples (and a few kids) over for dinner and socializing. A good discussion started about the Gospel, and then put of the blue one of the ladies asked what I thought about Masonic type stuff in temple ceremonies. And this kind of thing happens regularly. People open up, ask for help, etc. This is made possible by being in contact with the Church.
This is how I approach things as well.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:24 am
marc wrote: December 20th, 2022, 9:05 am The second reason I stay in the church besides wanting to remain fellowshipping with them is to partake of the sacrament which I still consider valid and binding.
And you can't do that in your home or with friends? Do you think this only has to be done on the Sabbath?
On the contrary, I know that I can do this in my own home...twenty times a day if I really wanted. And of course not. I CHOOSE to do what I do the way I do it in order to fellowship WITH my neighbors; THEY are my FRIENDS.

But do you think you can become a Zion individual all alone on your mountaintop all enlightened by yourself? To be one heart, one mind, having no poor among you all by yourself as a hermit? Or do you plan to trade one church or fellowship for another? Do you prefer to live in a Zion where every enlightened individual dwells on his/her own mountaintop apart from each other and unavailable to one another? Do you expect to enter Zion a stranger or a fellow citizen without having experienced all the struggles and adjustments and reconciliations expected during the forging of bonds with your neighbors? How do you plan to suddenly become one heart and one mind with the Lord if you cannot do this with so many others in preparation to enter Zion? The Celestial Kingdom?