Double your tithing, double your blessings. –Oaks

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Double your tithing, double your blessings. –Oaks

Post by endlessQuestions »

HVDC wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:51 pm
endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:45 pm
HVDC wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:44 pm Fake or not.

That photo is probably real.

Looks like the cat that ate the canary.

Whatever he did.

He is very proud of himself.

What did he do?

Sir H
Well, we’re working on that, aren’t we?

I’m still concerned that when all is said and done, DHO may turn out to be more of a pawn and a victim than a willing perpetrator in the grand scheme of things.
Just like any other Manchurian candidate.

Nevertheless.

He needs to be exposed.

Sir H
I would put it slightly different:

The truth needs to be revealed.

But I get what you’re saying.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:47 am
endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:44 am This can’t be real.
I saw this on FB w/ this caption: "A gift someone was given at a Christmas party last night." Totally given as a legit gift.
Yuck…..It probably is real. Maybe this is what they will start asking since membership is down.
“We are such a poor church and need your help. So increase your tithing and watch the blessings flow. Hey, maybe we’ll give you the second anointing even though you’re just a teacher.”

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

My guess is that was taken when he was a lawyer and not for his apostleship. Even if he thought that about tithing I can't see him writing that on a pic like that. He just doesn't seem like the type that would put that down for posterity. He speaks in a very calculated manner and I think he would write the same way.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

This can't be verified, so it should not be the basis for criticism of Elder Oaks.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Perhaps a more likely way to double your blessings would be to give your tithing to the poor (original purpose) than giving it to a giga-bilion dollar corporation.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

It looks like a female's handwriting. Bubbly and switching from print to cursive between letters.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Serragon wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:08 pm This can't be verified, so it should not be the basis for criticism of Elder Oaks.
It can be verified. Want me to ask?

BTW, Wendy Nelson taught the youth this exact same principle. From one of my essays:

While traveling with her husband, Sister Wendy Nelson spoke to the young single adults in a church-wide broadcast. She told them, “When we're desperate to have more money, we eagerly follow the Lord's law of finances. Which is, of course, tithing.” She then related a story of how a young family was paying way more tithing than their income. The bishop asked why and the young father responded, "Oh, I'm not paying on what I make, I'm paying on what I want to make." She concluded the story by stating that the very next year this young man made exactly that amount of money. This is what we call the "Prosperity Gospel” and is a false doctrine because the focus shifts from caring for the poor to financial gain. 2 Nephi 26:31 teaches, “But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish.”

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:53 pm
HVDC wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:51 pm
endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:45 pm
HVDC wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:44 pm Fake or not.

That photo is probably real.

Looks like the cat that ate the canary.

Whatever he did.

He is very proud of himself.

What did he do?

Sir H
Well, we’re working on that, aren’t we?

I’m still concerned that when all is said and done, DHO may turn out to be more of a pawn and a victim than a willing perpetrator in the grand scheme of things.
Just like any other Manchurian candidate.

Nevertheless.

He needs to be exposed.

Sir H
I would put it slightly different:

The truth needs to be revealed.

But I get what you’re saying.
On the other hand.

Maybe this is a glamour shot for his acting gig.

Guess he got it.

LOL.

Sir H

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:43 pm
Serragon wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:08 pm This can't be verified, so it should not be the basis for criticism of Elder Oaks.

BTW, Wendy Nelson taught the youth this exact same principle. From one of my essays:

While traveling with her husband, Sister Wendy Nelson spoke to the young single adults in a church-wide broadcast. She told them, “When we're desperate to have more money, we eagerly follow the Lord's law of finances. Which is, of course, tithing.” She then related a story of how a young family was paying way more tithing than their income. The bishop asked why and the young father responded, "Oh, I'm not paying on what I make, I'm paying on what I want to make." She concluded the story by stating that the very next year this young man made exactly that amount of money. This is what we call the "Prosperity Gospel” and is a false doctrine because the focus shifts from caring for the poor to financial gain. 2 Nephi 26:31 teaches, “But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish.”

Do ask, because I think it’s a pretty funny joke. But I can also ask his family members.

A nonmember money guru teaches people to pay 10% tithing and another 10% to charity. You also put 10% into long term savings and another 10% into emergency savings, even if you have to use the emergency savings right away. She calls it “60/40ing” your money. It’s not a get rich scheme at all, but is very stabilizing during hard times, and really keeps morale up when you can give a few “widows mites” to someone in need or a good cause. It’s impossible to feel poor if you can share something.

But I doubt he would push that idea on anyone, especially with a photo like that. Got to admit it’s a hilarious caption!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:29 am A signed copy from the man himself. Get w/ the program people. :)
Prosperity gospel.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:43 pm

Please do ask.

And my guess is that guy who was making what he wanted to was probably up to his eyeballs in debt. Just a guess, though.

Refraction75
captain of 100

Post by Refraction75 »

endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:48 am
Cruiserdude wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:47 am
I was thinking it has to be a gag or written by someone else.... No way he actually signed it with that message, right?
I’m putting this in the “further verification needed” bucket… it feels way too troll-y…

We are entering a time where things we thought we could rely on as evidence will no longer be reliable. It’s getting really scary out there.
The question remains though how did someone get this picture of Dallen H Oaks to troll him in this way...you can't just pick up this custom picture at walmart....

Refraction75
captain of 100

Post by Refraction75 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:49 am I'm not a handwriting expert (well... kind of), but the signature is pretty darn close. The "H" is almost a perfect match to the photo signature.
I can't stop laughing this is so funny!!!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Refraction75 wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:22 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:49 am I'm not a handwriting expert (well... kind of), but the signature is pretty darn close. The "H" is almost a perfect match to the photo signature.
I can't stop laughing this is so funny!!!
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on this signature (on the OP photo) as being legit. Most people have no idea how to forge a signature. I have over 20 years of experience in studying typography and typographic design. Not to mention how I forged my Mom's signature when I was in high school. Loads of experience. :)

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Refraction75 wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:15 pm
endlessismyname wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:48 am
Cruiserdude wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:47 am
I was thinking it has to be a gag or written by someone else.... No way he actually signed it with that message, right?
I’m putting this in the “further verification needed” bucket… it feels way too troll-y…

We are entering a time where things we thought we could rely on as evidence will no longer be reliable. It’s getting really scary out there.
The question remains though how did someone get this picture of Dallen H Oaks to troll him in this way...you can't just pick up this custom picture at walmart....
AI is doing things people can't even imagine.

I'm not saying I know one way or the other, but if I were a troll and wanted to start a kerfulffle, this is exactly the image I would create.

I mean this sincerely... we are not far from the time where there will be no way to know truth from error without the gift of the Holy Ghost. All the rules of evidence are going out the window.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

The natural man in all it's glory on full display. I'm not referring to the OP photo, I'm referring to him as he has presented himself his entire life.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I was gonna take out the garbage and then I saw this post.

Garbage.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

The family member I talked to highly doubts he would have said that, and so do I. It’s a clever and funny spoof, but I’ve never seen him be reckless like that.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I think you make a fair assessment here.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Our EQ pres in college at BYU would sometimes add how he saved money on something, "blessings you get from paying 15% tithe, guys". It was a joke, and we snickered along. I think Oak must have also been joking.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:29 am A signed copy from the man himself. Get w/ the program people. :)
Clearly some kind of wind up.
The photo is of a very much younger DHO, perhaps 20 or 30 years.
I also think the signature is very suspect and differs from the genuine example in a number of ways.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

This was given as a white elephant gift at a party. Parts of the signature are accurate (the "H"), but other parts aren't so accurate.

But what does remain accurate is how the church perceives tithing and blessings. The more you give (to the church that is), the more you are blessed. That is a false doctrine. Giving and sacrificing is a true principle, but doing so under false pretenses and poor doctrinal understanding of the principle is wrong.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Gold club members get autographed photos of their favorite GA's and get shortlisted for second anointings.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 13th, 2022, 5:03 am This was given as a white elephant gift at a party. Parts of the signature are accurate (the "H"), but other parts aren't so accurate.

But what does remain accurate is how the church perceives tithing and blessings. The more you give (to the church that is), the more you are blessed. That is a false doctrine. Giving and sacrificing is a true principle, but doing so under false pretenses and poor doctrinal understanding of the principle is wrong.
So, fake… right?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

We like to harp on people like Joel Osteen, but the truth is that the LDS preach PLENTY of prosperity gospel. Hell, we even invented our own college fund because we like so much to tie temporal prosperity in with salvation.

My mission president in the 90s told us we needed to baptize less poor people and try to get more wealthy, successful converts. I was pretty sure that was the polar opposite what Christ would have said. But what did I know, just a 19 yr old brainwashed kid working as a door to door salesman of sorts.