Mary Fielding Smith Theory

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
BOMdotcom
captain of 50

Re: Mary Fielding Smith Theory

Post by BOMdotcom »

On 23 Sep 1889, a 51 year old Joseph F. Smith wrote a letter to Solomon Kimball, the son of Heber C. and Vilate Kimball. If I'm getting the context right, it looks like Solomon was writing a history of his father. Joseph F. had some corrections he wanted to be made in this history. Here's one of them:
On page 435. Mary Fielding Smith is classed with the "aged ladies and widows" whom your father supported. This is an error. With the exception of the attentions, kindness and care bestowed by your father and mother upon my mother in her last illness, for which I have ever felt to bless them, and which was accidental, she having been stricken down while attending meeting in this city, she received no support from either the Church or any human being, which on the other hand she contributed largely to the support of others besides supporting her own family.
For some reference, JFS was about 14 when his mother died, and Solomon Kimball was about 5 at the time.

Why wasn't Mary listed as one of Heber's wives? And if she was his wife, why did he not support her? JFS was sure that he hadn't in any way other than care for her in her final illness.

source:
https://catalog.churchofjesuschrist.org ... /0/387#lds