Joel Skousen Year End Highland Meeting - Friday, December 2

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Joel Skousen Year End Highland Meeting - Friday, December 2

Post by Robin Hood »

jonubg wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:22 pm
Original_Intent wrote: November 18th, 2022, 10:47 am I've been to one of Joel's Highland meetings, it was VERY worthwhile.
joel is always right...
Really?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Also remember that probably 90%+/- of Joel's listeners/readers/watchers are LDS people (they're absolutely giddy over him at AVOW, for example) - hence, the vast majority of his income most likely comes from church members. If he starts dissing the 15, there goes the bulk of his income stream. I don't know what his personal beliefs are about the leaders at this point, but before last year or so, he was pretty open about their, uh, 'mistakes' and had some not-so-nice things to say about church leadership. Now, all of a sudden, it seems he's done a big about-face on that topic. I think one or both of these things happened - he got a talking to from a GA, membership threatened, etc. - and/or he realized most of his clientele are LDS and he was losing money due to things he'd already said (which were true, btw) about the leaders.

Either way, he seems to be compromised now (whether by threats or loss of $$$ or both), which is really unfortunate. My .02.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Yes I remember last year’s year end ended privately. I’ve wondered why he was being so hush hush about it. Was anybody there to hear it?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

EmmaLee wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:46 pm Also remember that probably 90%+/- of Joel's listeners/readers/watchers are LDS people (they're absolutely giddy over him at AVOW, for example) - hence, the vast majority of his income most likely comes from church members. If he starts dissing the 15, there goes the bulk of his income stream. I don't know what his personal beliefs are about the leaders at this point, but before last year or so, he was pretty open about their, uh, 'mistakes' and had some not-so-nice things to say about church leadership. Now, all of a sudden, it seems he's done a big about-face on that topic. I think one or both of these things happened - he got a talking to from a GA, membership threatened, etc. - and/or he realized most of his clientele are LDS and he was losing money due to things he'd already said (which were true, btw) about the leaders.

Either way, he seems to be compromised now (whether by threats or loss of $$$ or both), which is really unfortunate. My .02.
Based on my experience on AVOW 15+ years ago, they take very seriously even the slightest suggestion that a GA might be wrong about anything. So for sure if they are fans of his and they got wind of him saying the things that he has said in the past, they likely stirred up as much of a crap storm about it as possible.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

madvin wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:20 pm Yes I remember last year’s year end ended privately. I’ve wondered why he was being so hush hush about it. Was anybody there to hear it?
There are some notes that were being passed around. PM if interested.

Basically he wanted to help ease people's concerns about the General Authorities being in error, and how to still maintain faithfulness in the Church.

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

creator wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:53 pm
madvin wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:20 pm Yes I remember last year’s year end ended privately. I’ve wondered why he was being so hush hush about it. Was anybody there to hear it?
There are some notes that were being passed around. PM if interested.

Basically he wanted to help ease people's concerns about the General Authorities being in error, and how to still maintain faithfulness in the Church.
Would love a copy of the notes please

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Original_Intent wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:48 pm
EmmaLee wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:46 pm Also remember that probably 90%+/- of Joel's listeners/readers/watchers are LDS people (they're absolutely giddy over him at AVOW, for example) - hence, the vast majority of his income most likely comes from church members. If he starts dissing the 15, there goes the bulk of his income stream. I don't know what his personal beliefs are about the leaders at this point, but before last year or so, he was pretty open about their, uh, 'mistakes' and had some not-so-nice things to say about church leadership. Now, all of a sudden, it seems he's done a big about-face on that topic. I think one or both of these things happened - he got a talking to from a GA, membership threatened, etc. - and/or he realized most of his clientele are LDS and he was losing money due to things he'd already said (which were true, btw) about the leaders.

Based on my experience on AVOW 15+ years ago, they take very seriously even the slightest suggestion that a GA might be wrong about anything. So for sure if they are fans of his and they got wind of him saying the things that he has said in the past, they likely stirred up as much of a crap storm about it as possible.
That's what I was thinking, as well. They are even more cult-like in that regard now.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:11 pm

That's what I was thinking, as well. They are even more cult-like in that regard now.
Do you participate in the AVOW forum at this time? If not, how can you say such a thing?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BroJones wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Do you participate in the AVOW forum at this time? If not, how can you say such a thing?
I was a member there for many years. I quit when the adulterer Chad Daybell murdered his wife and Lori's children, and it was obvious Christopher Parrett and his toadies were thoroughly and easily deceived by that evil, wicked man. I could no longer stand to be there after that. That's how I can say such a thing.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:29 pm

I was a member there for many years. I quit when the adulterer Chad Daybell murdered his wife and Lori's children, and it was obvious Christopher Parrett and his toadies were thoroughly and easily deceived by that evil, wicked man. I could no longer stand to be there after that. That's how I can say such a thing.
When I left after being active for ~ 2 years, it was due to a strong feeling that while they are well-intentioned people, they were heading down a dark path paved with good intentions.

I loved some of the books by RKY - and of course I don't know where his heart is now. He definitely wrote some inspired and inspiring material.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Original_Intent wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:47 pm
EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:11 pmThat's what I was thinking, as well. They are even more cult-like in that regard now.
When I left after being active for ~ 2 years, it was due to a strong feeling that while they are well-intentioned people, they were heading down a dark path paved with good intentions.

I loved some of the books by RKY - and of course I don't know where his heart is now. He definitely wrote some inspired and inspiring material.
Welp, we know the road to hell is paved with good intentions. :?

I've read all of RKY's books, too; they were interesting. I do think there are some good people there, but the overall feeling (to me) was very stifling - it is the very definition of an echo chamber - the exact opposite of LDSFF, in that regard. If anyone dared to say anything that was even slightly different/varied from the leadership and their clique, you were blasted, belittled, and made to feel like a total loser. I would see this happen repeatedly to several folks. Most ended up just leaving, rather than put up with the abuse. And yes, they are worshipful of the GA's to the point of idolatry - and that's not a good thing. I still have a couple of friends who are members there, and they keep me posting on happenings. I will say, the preparedness info on AVOW is really good.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Wait, so are all participants in the AVOW forum "toadies" of Christopher Parrett?
(or what percentage of them would you say fit into this category?)

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BroJones wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:59 pm
EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:11 pmThat's what I was thinking, as well. They are even more cult-like in that regard now.
Wait, so are all participants in the AVOW forum "toadies" of Christopher Parrett?
(or what percentage of them would you say fit into this category?)
C'mon, Bro Jones - I thought you were better than that. Show me where I said "all". You can't, so please stop putting words in my mouth. If you'd bothered to read what I actually said (including my post after the one you quoted here), you, being a smart man and all, should be able to deduce who I was referring to - Parrett, his many very heavy-handed moderators, and their fan club (should be super easy to tell who they are...). If you're a member of Parrett's fan club, I can see why you'd get your hackles up at my comment - but I'd hoped that you weren't - that you have a mind of your own, instead of being part of the hive mind that is the bulk of AVOW. See that word? Bulk - meaning, the majority or greater part of something. Does that mean "all"? No, it does not. In fact, my exact words were, "I do think there are some good people there" - but I guess in your haste to put words in my mouth and mischaracterize what I actually said, and run to defend your blessed AVOW, you missed that. If you can't see how Parrett, his mods, and their fan club treat ANY person who doesn't agree with them 100% on every subject, then I can't help you, and I feel bad for you, honestly.

You, being an active and current member of AVOW, should also know that they regularly have threads dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian (creator), and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell, etc. etc. etc. - yet, here you are, acting outraged that anyone here would dare express an opinion that is different than yours. Am I and others not allowed to have a different opinion about AVOW than you do? Do you defend LDSFF on the "let's hate on LDSFF" threads on AVOW? Or do you join in with the venom-spewers? Or do you keep silent? You certainly don't keep silent here on LDSFF when someone says anything negative about AVOW - so I'm curious if it goes the other way with you, too?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:20 pm... they regularly have threads dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian (creator), and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell, etc.
😮

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Avow is missing a good show. Pass the popcorn. I like us just fine.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

creator wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:25 pm
EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:20 pm... they regularly have threads dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian (creator), and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell, etc.
😮
Here are just a few -

"How about a category for tracking apostasy and false doctrine? LDSFF should be renamed LDS Apostate Forum and Alaris is right up there near the top. Every now and then I get on that forum and it never changes. The vast majority of those who post there do nothing but bad mouth the Brethren and come up with half-baked doctrinal ideas."

~~~

"The founder of the LDSFF is a serious apostate. A few years ago, I joined and tried to defend the Church and the Brethren, but the owner censored me many times. I take a look every now and then and all the usual apostates are still there."

~~~

From a whole thread devoted to spewing hatred at LDSFF - opening post, then goes on for 4 pages - "Recently I joined LDS Freedom Forum. My son the last few weeks talked of some of the discussions going on in that forum so I thought I would venture out from AVOW and check them out.

I couldn't believe the amount of anti-mormon rhetoric and critical talk of the Prophet and Apostles. If I spent several hours on LDSFF I could not keep up in defense of the church if I tried. Many of the posters are Captains of a 1000 or better, meaning they post constantly...and from what I can see casting the church/leaders in bad light But I guess that is how they define "Freedom" in their title. You are free to say just about anything and cast doubt and division regarding the church and leaders."

~~~

"You will find nothing of good value there. I have been a member for 10 years - :!: :lol: i only go there to bear testimony against the anti’s. There are some good people there and it wasn’t always as bad as it is now but you won’t miss out on anything by never visiting that forum."

~~~

"I had the same experience. Left almost immediately. There are many apostate "members" who present themselves as members in good standing, but clearly are not. There are also many who follow self proclaimed "prophets" who are not general authorities. These tactics are used in many podcast shows as well. People critical of the church and its leaders trying to mask their true intentions."

~~~

And from Brother Parrett himself - "It has LONG been the refuge of those that leave LDS-AVOW or who are invited to leave this community."

~~~

And it goes on and on and on from there. I didn't read every post on every thread that mentioned LDSFF, but I didn't see Bro Jones defending LDSFF anywhere (if he did, I didn't see it) - but he sure does defend AVOW on here. Interesting. I also noticed the name of a woman who swore vehemently that she would never post here on apostate LDSFF again, because it's such an awful place! This was in 2019, and I've noticed she has indeed posted here several times since then. I wonder what her AVOW friends would think of her if they knew that... It's like they just can't stay away, lol.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

😮
No such threads " threads dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian (creator), and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell, " - in the last 9 months since I got back on there. That is, I haven't seen ANY such threads at all.

I don't agree with what EmmaLee said about AVOW, but we'll go on. Cheers!

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

😮
I got a big smile when I read that, I love it... Outside groups know of us and discuss us?!!
pirates1 (1).gif
pirates1 (1).gif (996.61 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BroJones wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:31 pm
😮
No such threads " threads dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian (creator), and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell, " - in the last 9 months since I got back on there. That is, I haven't seen ANY such threads at all.

I don't agree with what EmmaLee said about AVOW, but we'll go on. Cheers!
I mean, you can just put "LDSFF" in the search bar on AVOW, Bro Jones, and line after line after line of text comes up. Do I need to take a photo of it and post it here? The worst threads that I just saw with my own eyes, of people "dissing and hating on LDSFF, Brian, and the members here - saying vile things about LDSFF, that we're all apostates, all going to hell," etc. etc. etc. were dated 2020 - so I guess the plandemic took most of their minds off of the horrible people here on LDSFF. Isn't that nice.

I'm so glad you're allowing us to go on; thank you for being so magnanimous. Cheers to you, as well.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

"etc. etc. etc. were dated 2020 - so I guess the plandemic took most of their minds off of the horrible people here on LDSFF. Isn't that nice.""

OK - and yes, that is a nice change. Great group of people at AVOW now.
And I should add that I frequently disagree with Christopher - but he posts a lot, so perhaps that is expected.

I express my disagreement often, and that's OK there. No harsh words towards me for doing so...

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BroJones wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:06 pm "etc. etc. etc. were dated 2020 - so I guess the plandemic took most of their minds off of the horrible people here on LDSFF. Isn't that nice.""

And I should add that I frequently disagree with Christopher - but he posts a lot, so perhaps that is expected.

I express my disagreement often, and that's OK there. No harsh words towards me for doing so...
They're all the same people, Bro Jones. Every person that made nasty comments about LDSFF in 2020 is STILL there on AVOW. Very easy to see and check that. Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop trying to defend them when all the evidence is there for people to see. You're a scientist! Evidence, and seeing things with your own eyes, should mean something to you, for Pete's sake.

I'm glad you don't receive harsh words there - but that's most likely because they view you as a type of celebrity - you're a big name in LDS 'last days' type of forums - and they don't want to lose your presence there, as they think it brings the forum status of some sort. It was the same with Julie Rowe, Chad Daybell, and other LDS pseudo-celebrities. Some people on LDSFF obviously view you in that light, as well. So maybe consider that 'regular' people without well-known names don't get treated as nicely as you do on AVOW. At any rate, I was able to prove what I claimed about AVOW, so...

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Cruiserdude wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:35 pmI got a big smile when I read that, I love it... Outside groups know of us and discuss us?!!
Occasionally the Mormon & ex-Mormon Reddit groups also talk about LDSFF. Mostly negatively :D

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

EmmaLee wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:27 pm
BroJones wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:06 pm "etc. etc. etc. were dated 2020 - so I guess the plandemic took most of their minds off of the horrible people here on LDSFF. Isn't that nice.""

They're all the same people, Bro Jones. Every person that made nasty comments about LDSFF in 2020 is STILL there on AVOW. Very easy to see and check that. Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop trying to defend them when all the evidence is there for people to see. You're a scientist! Evidence, and seeing things with your own eyes, should mean something to you, for Pete's sake.

I'm glad you don't receive harsh words there - but that's most likely because they view you as a type of celebrity - you're a big name in LDS 'last days' type of forums - and they don't want to lose your presence there, as they think it brings the forum status of some sort. It was the same with Julie Rowe, Chad Daybell, and other LDS pseudo-celebrities. Some people on LDSFF obviously view you in that light, as well. So maybe consider that 'regular' people without well-known names don't get treated as nicely as you do on AVOW. At any rate, I was able to prove what I claimed about AVOW, so...
I just don't believe it: "They're all the same people, Bro Jones. Every person that made nasty comments about LDSFF in 2020 is STILL there on AVOW. Very easy to see and check that."

If easy, then list the names of those who "made nasty comments about LDSFF in 2020". and I will then check on AVOW and determine IF " STILL there on AVOW."

Interesting exercise, I guess.

Anyway, I just think folks on AVOW are much nicer than the way you are treating me. Much. And the discussion there is interesting also...

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

creator wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:08 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: December 8th, 2022, 3:35 pmI got a big smile when I read that, I love it... Outside groups know of us and discuss us?!!
Occasionally the Mormon & ex-Mormon Reddit groups also talk about LDSFF. Mostly negatively :D
I'd only expect it to be negative. Babylon despises the truth.😉😁