The uncharacteristically depressing, dark (and prophetic) ending to the 90s Dinosaurs sit-com

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

The uncharacteristically depressing, dark (and prophetic) ending to the 90s Dinosaurs sit-com

Post by BuriedTartaria »

The happy, light-hearted Dinosaurs sitcom from the early 90s ended with the ice-age reaching the story and the implication is all the characters die from it. A dark ending for such a show! I think they ended it with a warning applicable to us.
Dad wrote:I guess I owe the rest of you an apology too. You know, for bringing on the end of the world and civilization and everything. And I know I put too much faith in progress and technology. And had too little respect for nature. But it's so easy to take nature for granted because it's always there. And technology is so bright and shiny and new.

Despite the story being about a big corporation causing climate change, bringing about the ice age, I found the dialogue here surprisingly honest and anti-"progress" for something released on mainstream TV (even if it was released in an objectively less politically polarized and heavy-handed time period compared to today). I'm sure that wasn't their intention, I'm sure the intended message was early liberal climate change messaging but I think they unintentionally told the truth; The Powers That Be drive us towards anti-nature society, and "progress" with tech obsession isn't really progress and is killing society.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Re: The uncharacteristically depressing, dark (and prophetic) ending to the 90s Dinosaurs sit-com

Post by harakim »

BuriedTartaria wrote: December 8th, 2022, 5:38 am

The happy, light-hearted Dinosaurs sitcom from the early 90s ended with the ice-age reaching the story and the implication is all the characters die from it. A dark ending for such a show! I think they ended it with a warning applicable to us.
Dad wrote:I guess I owe the rest of you an apology too. You know, for bringing on the end of the world and civilization and everything. And I know I put too much faith in progress and technology. And had too little respect for nature. But it's so easy to take nature for granted because it's always there. And technology is so bright and shiny and new.

Despite the story being about a big corporation causing climate change, bringing about the ice age, I found the dialogue here surprisingly honest and anti-"progress" for something released on mainstream TV (even if it was released in an objectively less politically polarized and heavy-handed time period compared to today). I'm sure that wasn't their intention, I'm sure the intended message was early liberal climate change messaging but I think they unintentionally told the truth; The Powers That Be drive us towards anti-nature society, and "progress" with tech obsession isn't really progress and is killing society.

I remember that episode being surprising and coming out of nowhere.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The uncharacteristically depressing, dark (and prophetic) ending to the 90s Dinosaurs sit-com

Post by Robin Hood »

Not the Mama.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

My kids have called me "The Mamma" for 27 years because of this show 😅💚

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:51 am My kids have called me "The Mamma" for 27 years because of this show 😅💚
Yet you increase in wisdom and foxness as well.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

How do you stop people from thinking? Give them something shiny to look at that supposedly can answer any question you ask. The last question they might well ask is why do we need God?

How do you get people to not only stop thinking but stop problem solving?
Preach to them the philosophies of pharma mingled with scripture. Godsend anyone?

Now they wait on someone else or something else to solve the problem just as a pill was supposed to do.
Still a problem? Take more pills or take more clot shots.