Attempted coup in Germany and consequences

Discuss political news items / current events.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Attempted coup in Germany and consequences

Post by Niemand »

I'm surprised this one passed everyone by. At least twenty five people have been arrested recently for supposedly trying to overthrow the German government. They were led by some aristocrat I've never heard of called Heinrich XIII (pictured, note the mask!)

Here's the kind of coverage it is getting. The Independent is using it to shill for more censorship. Maybe this is what this is what this situation is really being used to showcase. Bastards.
Germany ‘coup plot’ shows conspiracy theories are a real-world threat
In a wider context the mainstream media is linking this to Qanon (probably little link), the far right, "conspiracy theories" and so on. Not to mention Old Man Moustache.

Why would Germans need "conspiracy theories" to provoke a strong reaction when reality has been so harsh? In the past five years, they have seen many people's livelihoods and mental health destroyed by harsh lockdowns, so called "vaccine passports" being forced through for every aspect of life, widespread censorship in the media (which this very event is being used to encourage), astronomical fuel bills due to the Ukrainian situation, open door immigration (as opposed to moderate, filtered migration) and so on. Most of that is verifiable without going to dangerous fringe outlets.

I'm not saying I agree with what they've done or even all of their arguments, but this seems to be the German equivalent of the raid on US capitol.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Re: Attempted coup in Germany and consequences

Post by Letfreedumbring »

The media wants it to appear like Germany saw Jan 6th and said Here hold my Heifeweizen.

Unfortunately, governments are not overthrown by the outsiders but by the insiders.
Cheered on by the people who react to such a terrible problem, needing an even more terrible solution.
(See Germany's own past and actual history books)

This will not be the last event like this. It will continue until as a collective "we" decide to do something about it.
If only there was a respect for national sovereignty act that we could pass, but who would ever endorse it is the problem?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Theater.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:13 pm I'm surprised this one passed everyone by. At least twenty five people have been arrested recently for supposedly trying to overthrow the German government. They were led by some aristocrat I've never heard of called Heinrich XIII (pictured, note the mask!)

Here's the kind of coverage it is getting. The Independent is using it to shill for more censorship. Maybe this is what this is what this situation is really being used to showcase. Bastards.
Germany ‘coup plot’ shows conspiracy theories are a real-world threat
In a wider context the mainstream media is linking this to Qanon (probably little link), the far right, "conspiracy theories" and so on. Not to mention Old Man Moustache.

Why would Germans need "conspiracy theories" to provoke a strong reaction when reality has been so harsh? In the past five years, they have seen many people's livelihoods and mental health destroyed by harsh lockdowns, so called "vaccine passports" being forced through for every aspect of life, widespread censorship in the media (which this very event is being used to encourage), astronomical fuel bills due to the Ukrainian situation, open door immigration (as opposed to moderate, filtered migration) and so on. Most of that is verifiable without going to dangerous fringe outlets.

I'm not saying I agree with what they've done or even all of their arguments, but this seems to be the German equivalent of the raid on US capitol.
I concur.

Sir H

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

endlessismyname wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:33 am Theater.
Possibly although there is genuine discontent in Germany. Easy to discount it by claiming it's all Hitler fans.

Talking of Hitler, this does remind me of the Reichstag fire.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Letfreedumbring wrote: December 8th, 2022, 1:43 am The media wants it to appear like Germany saw Jan 6th and said Here hold my Heifeweizen.

Unfortunately, governments are not overthrown by the outsiders but by the insiders.
Cheered on by the people who react to such a terrible problem, needing an even more terrible solution.
(See Germany's own past and actual history books)

This will not be the last event like this. It will continue until as a collective "we" decide to do something about it.
If only there was a respect for national sovereignty act that we could pass, but who would ever endorse it is the problem?
Hold my Heifewizen. Bwhahhaha.
Are we sure that picture isn't Bernie Madoff?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Didn't Germany cause their own problems on purpose by closing nuclear energy plants to create an energy shortage and locking people down over the corona hoax?

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

Fred wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:25 pm Didn't Germany cause their own problems on purpose by closing nuclear energy plants to create an energy shortage and locking people down over the corona hoax?
I thought that was France but you are correct Germany too. Who would have thought lockstep rollout of creating an energy crisis? I can see Satan taking a WEF apple and saying "Now if we could only get the USA to comply!" and then calling Biden by name. "Joseph? Yo Joe! C'mon man where are you?"

https://nypost.com/2019/12/31/germany-s ... ic-energy/
https://apnews.com/article/9db52eeef7ea ... 3c2a854b17
https://www.rt.com/business/554758-fran ... lt-crisis/

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Fred wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:25 pm Didn't Germany cause their own problems on purpose by closing nuclear energy plants to create an energy shortage and locking people down over the corona hoax?
Yeah.

Germany.

Kinda like.

How America regulated most of our nuclear power plants away.

And squelched all new production.

We also played the everybody's gonna die game.

Neither Americans nor Germans run their dumbochcrazies.

The Banksters call the shots in this world.

Everyone else either joins them or gets run over.

They can buy anything with our money.

And anyone.

While we assign blame to everyone but them.

They are the gods of this world.

For as long as we pretend not to see them.

I see them.

Sir H

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

This does not surprise me. I lived in Germany for 3 years and there is an institutional paranoia against anything the government considers radical. They had the really bad years with the Baader–Meinhof Group terrorizing the country. I was there from 1984-87 and anti-terrorist roadblocks were common. The mindset of stomping out anything remotely radical prevails to this day. I doubt that those accused of sedition did more than talk about it, but you can get in trouble just for voicing an unapproved opinion. Only government approved thought is allowed.
Homeschooling is illegal and you will get your children kidnapped by the government if you attempt it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A lot of Germans are very anti-nuclear. I think it is fair to say that there are a lot of genuine concerns about nuclear power given the number of serious incidents which have occurred in nuclear power plants internationally. After Chernobyl and the fall of the Berlin Wall, there was serious concern about Soviet built reactor components and I think that was legitimate too, but the Commie plants were never replaced there.

Germany is the hub of the European Green movement and that is a major factor too. You have folk like Joschka Fischer who have clambered up way further in the power structure than Greens elsewhere in Europe.

I think a lot of the blame falls at the feet of Gerhard Schroeder and Angela Merkel, "die Mutti" (the Mummy) . As chancellors, these people brought in a lot of the changes that brought about this crisis. Merkel is a bit of a Russophile in some regards and speaks their language fluently. (Poots is a fluent German speaker, and was stationed at Dresden with the KGB.) This led to the construction of the oil and gas pipelines. This is not a Green measure as such because Greens hate hydrocarbons. I suppose they could have sold this as somehow bringing Russia into the European fold by integrating it into the European economy. (The Russian monopoly Gazprom sponsors a lot of the European soccer but doesn't play ball in other respects.)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:17 pm This does not surprise me. I lived in Germany for 3 years and there is an institutional paranoia against anything the government considers radical. They had the really bad years with the Baader–Meinhof Group terrorizing the country. I was there from 1984-87 and anti-terrorist roadblocks were common. The mindset of stomping out anything remotely radical prevails to this day. I doubt that those accused of sedition did more than talk about it, but you can get in trouble just for voicing an unapproved opinion. Only government approved thought is allowed.
Homeschooling is illegal and you will get your children kidnapped by the government if you attempt it.
Germans are very odd that way... they do have a very conformist mentality in some respects but there is also a huge, and I mean huge, alternative culture there. There is also a significant far right movement, especially in the east, but I think Germany would actually be one of the last European countries to go that way. (Hungary is a better bet, Russia is much closer to it too )

Germans are sticklers for certain rules and rarely drop litter. Their trash cans are segregated neatly into recycling sections and you won't see much lying around and yet... the streets of many cities are full of graffitti and dog muck. (Germany has a lot of very contradictory rules on the likes of women, immigration, and religion. They definitely work harder, but they also get better holidays.)

A nice summary of the difference between Anglophone culture and Germans I once heard is that we tend to do something, unless there's a sign up telling you not to. Germans tend to assume that something is forbidden unless there is a sign telling them that they can do it.

But it is worth pointing out that only a generation or two ago huge numbers of young easterners did rebel and help throw off a totalitarian government. A lot of them ended up living in the west. So maybe some of that spirit is still there.