Flat Earth

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Flat Earth

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:52 pm
Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:43 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:05 pm
Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:47 pm If the compass needle points north as we all know it does, where does the opposite end of the needle point? Flat earthers think the entire perimeter of the flat disk is south. It is silly to even entertain them by admitting they have a possible theory.

Joseph Smith was not by any means perfect or infallible. The scriptures have been changed many times over the years. Even the BoM has been changed to appease satanists.
Compasses point to the North Pole, absolutely nothing has changed there. If your location has an azimuth to the north, then you automatically have a back azimuth away from it.

Joseph Smith's scriptures have not changed over the years, so what is the reason his creation accounts perfectly mirror the Bible. One reason is the that the Lord is telling us his Genesis account is accurate. In your defense, another reason could be that the Lord is simply telling us it is not time for more to be revealed. Of course, then we have to consider why our creation account has been fiction for millennia and what else is fictional in the Bible.
Compasses DON'T point to the North Pole. They point to a magnetic spot that travels around the North Pole.
Yes. The position of Earth's magnetic north pole was first precisely located in 1831. Since then, it's gradually drifted north-northwest by more than 600 miles (1,100 kilometers), and its forward speed has increased from about 10 miles (16 kilometers) per year to about 34 miles (55 kilometers) per year. How long till north is south? 1000 miles per time zone at the equator.

Time Zones Currently Being Used in Antarctica
Offset Time Zone Abbreviation & Name Example City Current Time
UTC -3 ART Argentina Time Carlini Base Wed, 5:51:17 pm
CLST Chile Summer Time Palmer Station Wed, 5:51:17 pm
UTC +0 GMT Greenwich Mean Time Troll Station Wed, 8:51:17 pm
UTC +5 MAWT Mawson Time Mawson Thu, 1:51:17 am
UTC +6 VOST Vostok Time Vostok Station Thu, 2:51:17 am
UTC +7 DAVT Davis Time Davis Thu, 3:51:17 am
UTC +10 DDUT Dumont-d'Urville Time Dumont d'Urville Station Thu, 6:51:17 am
UTC +11 CAST Casey Time Casey Thu, 7:51:17 am
UTC +13 NZDT New Zealand Daylight Time Mario Zucchelli Station Thu,

Can anyone explain this on a flat earth model?
It's been moving A LOT quicker in recent times. It's rarely remarked upon but something is changing underground.

Children here today have a lot less to complain about with map reading but certainly in the UK (and most of Europe), magnetic north was far enough off due north to cause issues a few decades ago. Now they're closer together.

There are also ways to calculate actual north using watch faces and the sun (if it's out). They're pretty serviceable at this latitude.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:43 pm Magnetic compasses DON'T point to the North Pole. They point to a magnetic spot that travels around the North Pole. When I was wee it was near Baffin Island, north of Canada, now it is heading towards Novaya Zemlya north of Siberia.

There was a very big difference between reading maps in North America and Europe. In NAm your compasses pointed fairly close to due north, but we had to compensate for magnetic north being north north west of here. I had to do this with maps for geography class and even camping/hiking.

If you want to find due north, you can calculate it using the sky. Calculate solar (as opposed to time zone) noon, north of the equator and the Sun will be due south, opposite the north. The compass is slightly off.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that, I'm a former military man. In the Army we would have to declinate our compasses and gyroscopes every so often and every time we changed locations. I don't know that differentiating between grid north, magnetic north, and true north will help this conversation though.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:52 pm Can anyone explain this on a flat earth model?
Yeah, sure. Magnetic fields change and fluctuate. How's that?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:26 pm The people of Antarctica themselves have never been to the south pole. No private party is even allowed near the south pole or to even step foot on the continent.
Like the northern polar region, the southern polar region is one of the least hospitable places on the Earth, with brutal weather and days that vary in length by crazy amounts.

Look at some of the far southern places that people do live in, like Tierra del Fuego and Cape Horn at the end of South America. The wind there is horrendous and the sea conditions off the south of the continent are notorious for damaging and even sinking vessels. The seas to the south of New Zealand's main islands are also terrible. I've actually been on some of them. When I visited Stewart Island from South Island (NZ), I had to take a plane back, because the sea crossing was horrendous. This is coming from someone who's been on boats in the North Atlantic.

The Falkland Islands have a marginal climate. I know people who fought there in 1982. South Georgia south east of there is even worse and used to be a whaling station. It is barely inhabitable. In fact almost nothing more southerly than South America is really inhabitable long term. Antarctica is probably the biggest place on Earth without any natives.

And that's before you get to Antarctica. The sea around the continent is surrounded by icebergs and waves bigger than houses. It's a nightmare for most yachts. It can be done if you're highly skilled and a masochist.

Beyond that you have the same problems as the northern polar regions. Miles of ice sheet that ordinary yachts can't go through without protection from damage and very few places you can land. But some people do get there.

TLDR: They don't even need to protect Antarctica, it protects itself.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:26 pm The people of Antarctica themselves have never been to the south pole. No private party is even allowed near the south pole or to even step foot on the continent.
Like the northern polar region, the southern polar region is one of the least hospitable places on the Earth, with brutal weather and days that vary in length by crazy amounts.

Look at some of the far southern places that people do live in, like Tierra del Fuego and Cape Horn at the end of South America. The wind there is horrendous and the sea conditions off the south of the continent are notorious for damaging and even sinking vessels. The seas to the south of New Zealand's main islands are also terrible. I've actually been on some of them. When I visited Stewart Island from South Island (NZ), I had to take a plane back, because the sea crossing was horrendous. This is coming from someone who's been on boats in the North Atlantic.

The Falkland Islands have a marginal climate. I know people who fought there in 1982. South Georgia south east of there is even worse and used to be a whaling station. It is barely inhabitable. In fact almost nothing more southerly than South America is really inhabitable long term. Antarctica is probably the biggest place on Earth without any natives.

And that's before you get to Antarctica. The sea around the continent is surrounded by icebergs and waves bigger than houses. It's a nightmare for most yachts. It can be done if you're highly skilled and a masochist.

Beyond that you have the same problems as the northern polar regions. Miles of ice sheet that ordinary yachts can't go through without protection from damage and very few places you can land. But some people do get there.

Almost as if God has placed barriers there himself. I guess Fred will have to cancel his South Pole picnic.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

gradles21 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:15 pm This is for all of you who think only stupid people question the globe model.
Whatever happened to that guy? One day he just disappeared from YT. Loved his stuff.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:36 pm
Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm

Almost as if God has placed barriers there himself. I guess Fred will have to cancel his South Pole picnic.
You could say the same about the far north or higher mountain ranges, or indeed the depths of the sea.

Anywhere north of Iceland is pretty hellish. In fact the seas between Iceland and Scotland are bad enough. So is the land in the northern regions. Even the French and Germans struggled to hold onto much milder parts of Russia. The seas in the far south are even worse because there is so little land around there.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm
Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:52 pm Can anyone explain this on a flat earth model?
Magnetic fields do not change unless their is an outside force that causes it. Saying that a mysterious one may exist is not a good answer.

I have no plans for the south pole. Other people have been there. All one need do is look at airline traffic.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:50 pm
Magnetic fields do not change unless their is an outside force that causes it. Saying that a mysterious one may exist is not a good answer.

I have no plans for the south pole. Other people have been there. All one need do is look at airline traffic.
The major shift in magnetic north in the past century or so generates minimal coverage, but seems to me to be one of the big stories of our times. What is causing it and what is its significance? Is it a sign of the End Times too?

The poles themselves seem to be dull places although there are beautiful islands and mountains within the polar regions.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Niemand wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:58 pm
Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:50 pm

The major shift in magnetic north in the past century or so generates minimal coverage, but seems to me to be one of the big stories of our times. What is causing it and what is its significance? Is it a sign of the End Times too?

The poles themselves seem to be dull places although there are beautiful islands and mountains within the polar regions.
here is a video from a guy that i found a few months ago. it's about him measuring the magnetic field over the last 18 months or so. he came up with an experiment which seems to indicate how a flip occurs. Simplistic, but perhaps farely accurate.

I'm posting this video rather than his newest ones because it shows his experiment. So far, others have given possible reasons for a SUDDEN flip but this guy has proposed something slightly more compelling. I'm inclined to believe that if he is correct, the abrupt flip will be months later than he says. If this happens, it explains the foretold apocalyptic natural events of seasons changing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MeYpb-QFQ

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:37 am
h_p wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:10 am If you can't see the sun because it's too far away at night, and it's only 100 miles above the earth, how could you possibly see the dome, much less what's above it?
I'm not saying we see a dome or through one. The dome has simply been everyone's assumption, despite not being specifically mentioned in the creation account. I agree that logically something has to keep the waters above, but there could easily be a yet to be discovered property of physics that keeps the water up there, I don't know. The only things I know for sure are that the Bible says there is water up there and the sky is the color of water.
My point wasn't about what's holding the water up. My point is how you could see anything that far away if light doesn't travel that far. If it travels far enough to see the water stuff, you'd be able to see the sun from anywhere on earth at all times.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Pazooka wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:44 pm
gradles21 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:15 pm This is for all of you who think only stupid people question the globe model.
Whatever happened to that guy? One day he just disappeared from YT. Loved his stuff.
Bob the science guy doxxed him and tried to ruin his career so he stopped making videos.

*It was actual George Hnatiuk, not Bob the science guy.
Last edited by gradles21 on December 7th, 2022, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

gradles21 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:26 pm
Pazooka wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:44 pm
Bob the science guy doxxed him and tried to ruin his career so he stopped making videos.
SMH people are so jacked up...

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:55 pm
MikeMaillet wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:35 pm When say you waters do you mean H2O type of water or does the word waters describe something else beyond our ability to detect or experince?
The Bible says they were divided, the waters above and waters beneath. We know what the waters are here on the surface, so likely the same waters, right? Whether they were split evenly, I don't see why it would have to be an even split, but it obviously means vast oceans above our heads.
Got it, thanks. I get the feeling that the waters are something else and the best word the visionaries had to fit what they saw was waters. Prophets speak of smells and music that are beyond description. There may be a connection between earthly water and "the waters." References to waters above and below may refer to waters of different glory. There are also the living waters that water the garden.

Mike

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Sirius wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:56 pm Gravity? Pfhh, the explanation for it is all over the place and forever changing. Babylonian nonsense.
The theory of gravity makes no sense to me. It's strong when it needs to be, and extremely weak when it's convenient.

Supposedly, it is strong enough to keep all of us stuck to the planet, without floating off, but weak enough to not pull the moon, sun, and stars into us. Yet, at the same time strong enough to trap all of the gases we need to breathe and function. Which means it magically gets stronger as you get further away from earth, and then magically reverses to become weaker at the same time, confused yet? I sure am.

A dome makes a lot more sense to me since that would explain why the gases don't just vanish into the vacuum of space, since they are self-contained.

As of yet, I've never seen a working model of how this would even work.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

anonymous91 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:36 pm Supposedly, it is strong enough to keep all of us stuck to the planet, without floating off, but weak enough to not pull the moon, sun, and stars into us.
The sun has plenty enough gravity to pull the earth and every other planet into it. The reason they don't is because they're in orbit. They're moving fast enough around it that the planets are all essentially in free-fall. People who say astronauts are in a zero-G environment are wrong. Gravity is what keeps their space ships from flying off into outer space, and if they stopped flying forward, they'd fall out of the sky and crash into the ground.

Think of it this way: pick up a baseball and toss it. It goes 20 feet before hitting the ground. Throw it harder, say it goes 60 feet. Launch it out of a cannon, it flies 2 miles. Now launch it out of something that will make it fly 25,000 miles before hitting the ground. Since the planet is actually a sphere, the ball falls over the horizon. It never actually hits the ground because the ground is essentially falling away ahead of it. The ball is now in orbit. If there were no wind resistance or anything in its way to slow it down, it'd circle the earth forever.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

anonymous91 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:36 pm
Sirius wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:56 pm Gravity? Pfhh, the explanation for it is all over the place and forever changing. Babylonian nonsense.
The theory of gravity makes no sense to me. It's strong when it needs to be, and extremely weak when it's convenient.
If you haven't seen this yet, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWiBxWieQU&t=902s

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

madvin wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:08 pm
anonymous91 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:36 pm
If you haven't seen this yet, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWiBxWieQU&t=902s
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science ... ds-n134741

Interesting insights involving billiard balls and ants on a tightrope. 8-)

Anyones name a subset of G R A V I T Y :?:

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:48 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:54 pm Me early earth encased in an outer shell of water solves the "water above the firmament" problem. Please quote the scriptures about water beyond the stars or whatever point you were making.
So, this whole time you haven't bothered to read it? Nice!

In all 3 accounts, the sun, moon, and stars are placed in the firmament of heaven (the same firmament where the birds fly) and the earth's waters are placed over the firmament.

Is this redundant for your firmament discussion? Didn’t notice it in this thread, but it’s always interesting to consider when trying to wrap one’s mind around the idea of a solid dome firmament.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:48 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:54 pm Me early earth encased in an outer shell of water solves the "water above the firmament" problem. Please quote the scriptures about water beyond the stars or whatever point you were making.
So, this whole time you haven't bothered to read it? Nice!

In all 3 accounts, the sun, moon, and stars are placed in the firmament of heaven (the same firmament where the birds fly) and the earth's waters are placed over the firmament.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-011-2010-4_32 wrote: Abstract
In the first chapter of Genesis, Moses wrote “and God said let there be RAKIAH”, that is, “an expanse”, (which in certain texts of the Scriptures is translated as “firmament”) “in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the water. And God made the firmament and divided the waters which were beneath the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament SCHAMAIM” (which numerous scholars say is the same as “ibi aquae” (“There are waters”), but which they translate as “the Heavens.” “And the evening and the morning were the second day. And God said, let the waters under the heaven (SCHAMAIM) be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land, the Earth; and the gathering together of the waters, called He the seas, etc”, and later God said (verse 14), “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven.”
The article makes clear that the firmament

and the dry land are not one and the same thing. :P

A water shell encasing the early earth explains where the oceans were while the earths surface remained above the boiling point of water.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:50 pm Magnetic fields do not change unless their is an outside force that causes it.
Magnetic fields are constantly changing. That is why you have to declinate a compass or gyroscope on a regular basis. There has also been more shifting this past decade than what is normal. Have you ever declinated a compass?

P.S. Airlines do not fly to the South pole.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:52 pm
Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:50 pm Magnetic fields do not change unless their is an outside force that causes it.
Magnetic fields are constantly changing. That is why you have to declinate a compass or gyroscope on a regular basis. There has also been more shifting this past decade than what is normal. Have you ever declinated a compass?

P.S. Airlines do not fly to the South pole.
Airlines do fly from New York to Buenos Aries and from Argentina to Australia and they don't go over the north pole on the way.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

h_p wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:39 pm
My point wasn't about what's holding the water up. My point is how you could see anything that far away if light doesn't travel that far. If it travels far enough to see the water stuff, you'd be able to see the sun from anywhere on earth at all times.
I guess I'm still not understanding what you are trying to say. The water is right here above our heads with the sun just underneath. The sun lights up our whole sky when it is above us and that is why we see the water as a blue sky. When the sun is not overhead, it is too black to see anything but the moon and stars.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Fred wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:57 pm Airlines do fly from New York to Buenos Aries and from Argentina to Australia and they don't go over the north pole on the way.
That's not the South Pole. That's not even antarctica.

Don't worry though, I do grant you that southern flights would be the best way to disprove a flat earth, it just hasn't been done yet. In 2016/17 or so there were a few flat earthers who tried booking those direct flights, but almost all of them didn't actually exist as advertised, which of course only fueled the frenzy.

The only two circumnavigations of Antarctica had very dubious circumstances and questionable leaders. They were, at best, lies to get the publicity.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

MikeMaillet wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:20 pm Got it, thanks. I get the feeling that the waters are something else and the best word the visionaries had to fit what they saw was waters. Prophets speak of smells and music that are beyond description. There may be a connection between earthly water and "the waters." References to waters above and below may refer to waters of different glory. There are also the living waters that water the garden.

Mike
Yes, but the waters being divide is in the description and anyone knows what the waters below are, so there is no reason to think that the waters above are any different considering they are from the same source. After all, why is the sky blue, lol.