No mention of sealings, baptisms for dead, or endowment in BOM.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

No mention of sealings, baptisms for dead, or endowment in BOM.

Post by CuriousThinker »

I get why people can say those things are not in the Bible (excepting a mention of baptisms for the dead) because the Bible had plain and precious truths removed. But we are told the Book of Mormon is complete, with no errors in doctrine, and has the fullness of the gospel. Yet there is no mention of any of those things. The church says it is a restoration, which means it had to have been happening during Peter's time and after Christ was in the Americas. So, why isn't it mentioned? Not even a passing reference. We have baptism, the Holy Ghost, and the sacrament mentioned. Sealing power is mentioned, but that doesn't necessarily mean marriage sealings. Any insights or things to point me to explaining this?

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Re: No mention of sealings, baptisms for dead, or endowment in BOM.

Post by Mindfields »

The simple answer is sealings, baptisms for dead, and the endowment aren't part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Ironically pretty much everything uniquely Mormon isn't in the Book of Mormon either.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

I think it’s because it’s all made up doctrine that does nothing since salvation is through Christ.

If you think about it, the church actually puts the doctrine and covenants above all other scriptures.
So many doctrines of men have polluted the truth.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

It really makes you wonder.

Video wrote:Not only do non-Mormons not have a clue what is actually in the Book of Mormon, imagine it to contain doctrines on plural marriage, or Adam-God theory and various temple ordinances. You know, all the things people tend to associate with Mormonism. But it isn't just people who have never really touched or read the Book of Mormon, but I have found that by and large, most Mormons don't really know what is in their Book of Mormon either...... The book of Mormon is the most compelling anti-Mormon book I can possibly read, and I say this because not only does the book not really support the more common things people associate with Mormonism, but it is also one of the strongest witnesses against a number of doctrines associated with the church

Last edited by BuriedTartaria on December 6th, 2022, 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

I had this kind of explained once to me, years ago, not even sure if I can explain it myself. When asked why the celestial kingdom is never mentioned in the book of Mormon, or any of the other so called doctrine they teach, the way it was said to me, was because the book of Mormon is the teaching or living of the celestial kingdom laws, which made absolutely no sense to me at all.

but hey, you can find things that the church practiced that went completely against the book of Mormon. How ironic is that?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

3 Nephi 26
6 And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;
7 But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.
8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.
9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.
11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

“And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” Colossians 2:13-14

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

These were some of the higher things mentioned but not written and were gradually revealed. There are many other great and important things yet to be revealed. That's what I believe.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

I've got some information for the boo birds scattered through various posts on this thread including Mindfields, who has seen much information I have posted on this subject over the years and continues to ignore it.

First, the Celestial Kingdom as well as other places Paul spoke of are barely mentioned in the Bible. Not much on the spirit world, exaltation, or other topics. Some things are seldom mentioned. Some things like early Christian prayer circles ect. ect. are not spoken of in the Bible at all. Yet we have evidence that they were understood. Now I could turn my attention to the Book of Mormon, but I have posted on what even apostate Lamanites filtered down through the ages in the western hemisphere on many threads. Signs, tokens, the visit of Jesus Christ ect.. I've got more as well. It's been a long day and I have had it energy wise. Later gators!

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

kirtland r.m. wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:56 pm I've got some information for the boo birds scattered through various posts on this thread including Mindfields, who has seen much information I have posted on this subject over the years and continues to ignore it.

First, the Celestial Kingdom as well as other places Paul spoke of are barely mentioned in the Bible. Not much on the spirit world, exaltation, or other topics. Some things are seldom mentioned. Some things like early Christian prayer circles ect. ect. are not spoken of in the Bible at all. Yet we have evidence that they were understood. Now I could turn my attention to the Book of Mormon, but I have posted on what even apostate Lamanites filtered down through the ages in the western hemisphere on many threads. Signs, tokens, the visit of Jesus Christ ect.. I've got more as well. It's been a long day and I have had it energy wise. Later gators!
Sorry I got under your skin dude.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Baptism for the dead is in fact alluded to in the Book of Mormon...

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Subcomandante wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:52 pm Baptism for the dead is in fact alluded to in the Book of Mormon...
Yeah it is mentioned and considered anti-Christ. Moroni 8

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

While visiting Elder Del Castillo of the 5th quorum of the Seventy (In Argentina) he showed me an old book he had collected that made several references to early Christian temples and to the works of the dead happening in the 1st and 2nd century AD. This immediately led me to the thought; why hasn't this been translated into English? The feeling that came over me in response was to the effect that people aren't ready for it. Only those that seek truth are going to find it. In addition as it is a sacred topic it seems more along the lines of the leadership of the time, or Profet writing by the spirit, would have been directed away from writing on topics that were "upper Level". I find the B of M to be very foundational. Primarily what you ould share with someone seeking the truth and making small steps towards major life changes. The Celestial Principles and teachings are more Masters and Doctoral level ideas, they take a willingness to sacrifice more and being open to further change your viewpoints on the world around you. Just my 2 cents.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Baptism for the dead wasn't on the earth until after the resurrection of Christ unlocked that gate so that would limit it to the end of the Book of Mormon. And given the circumstances of Mormon and Moroni's existence I'm hardly surprised they weren't actively baptizing on behalf of ancestors.

For the vast majority of the Book of Mormon the people operated under Mosaic law so the sealing ordinances weren't available either. Apostolic sealing keys were only available for short periods in their times.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Mindfields wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Subcomandante wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:52 pm Baptism for the dead is in fact alluded to in the Book of Mormon...
That's a big stretch.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

BuriedTartaria wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:32 pm It really makes you wonder.

Video wrote:Not only do non-Mormons not have a clue what is actually in the Book of Mormon, imagine it to contain doctrines on plural marriage, or Adam-God theory and various temple ordinances. You know, all the things people tend to associate with Mormonism. But it isn't just people who have never really touched or read the Book of Mormon, but I have found that by and large, most Mormons don't really know what is in their Book of Mormon either...... The book of Mormon is the most compelling anti-Mormon book I can possibly read, and I say this because not only does the book not really support the more common things people associate with Mormonism, but it is also one of the strongest witnesses against a number of doctrines associated with the church

Everyone has their stopping point. This far, no further.
Must be great to know exactly when God's words were no longer his own.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I have found that a more complete teaching of these precepts is true. The BoM is a wonderful book, but it does not contain all doctrine. The LDS church has some/much truth. Much has become corrupted. It sorrows my heart to find people who throw out truth because of the blatant corruption among men.

The Nephites worshipped in temples, yet none of that is recorded in the BoM... but that doesn't mean that ordinances or monogamous sealings are invalid or not important.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on December 7th, 2022, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:46 am I have found that a more complete teaching of these precepts is true. The BoM is a wonderful book, but it does not contain all doctrine. The LDS church has some/much truth. Much has become corrupted. It sorrows my heart to find people who throw out truth because of the blatant corruption among men.

The Nephites worshipped in temples, yet none of that is recorded in the BoM... but that doesn't mean that ordinances or monogamous sealings are valid or important.
I assume you mean “doesn’t mean that they are not valid or important”.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Luke wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:46 pm 3 Nephi 26
6 And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;
7 But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.
8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.
9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.
11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.
The verses before:

3 And he did expound all things, even from the beginning until the atime that he should come in his glory—yea, even all things which should come upon the face of the earth, even until the elements should melt with fervent heat, and the earth should be wrapt together as a scroll, and the heavens and the earth should pass away;

4 And even unto the agreat and last day, when all people, and all kindreds, and all nations and tongues shall bstand before God, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

5 If they be good, to the resurrection of everlasting life; and if they be evil, to the resurrection of damnation; being on a parallel, the one on the one hand and the other on the other hand, according to the mercy, and the justice, and the holiness which is in Christ, who was before the world began.

----------

I guess you could say that this includes BofD, plural marriage, blood atonement, Adam God, etc

But I don't think this is the case.

++++++++
+++++++++

That period of faith trial ended when? How often throughout the history of early Mormonism were they under condemnation for treating the Book of Mormon lightly?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Luke wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:53 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:46 am I have found that a more complete teaching of these precepts is true. The BoM is a wonderful book, but it does not contain all doctrine. The LDS church has some/much truth. Much has become corrupted. It sorrows my heart to find people who throw out truth because of the blatant corruption among men.

The Nephites worshipped in temples, yet none of that is recorded in the BoM... but that doesn't mean that ordinances or monogamous sealings are valid or important.
I assume you mean “doesn’t mean that they are not valid or important”.
Yes, thanks for catching that. Corrected above.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

JLHPROF wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:57 am
That's a big stretch.
22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—

23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Mindfields wrote: December 6th, 2022, 11:58 am The simple answer is sealings, baptisms for dead, and the endowment aren't part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Ironically pretty much everything uniquely Mormon isn't in the Book of Mormon either.
Not all doctrine is found in the Book of Mormon either. It's why we have the standard works with multiple scriptures.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Mindfields wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:24 pm
JLHPROF wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:57 am
That's a big stretch.
22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—

23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works.
The assumption is that baptism is only for remission of sins. Those that have no law also have no corresponding blessing. Baptism is a sign of acceptance of Christ.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

There are many scriptures that talk of the ancient mysteries (taught to a select few but not the masses) of the kingdom being held back to be taught openly in the dispensation of the fullness of times. Each dispensation had unique truths and partial truths. what Moses and Nephi taught is not what Jesus taught. It is a hard stretch to take OT things and PH structures and map them to NT and modern teachings. While it seems pre-deluge teachings decayed from the time of Adam to Noah (with a bump around Enoch) it seems there was a build up to Jesus (with JtB baptizing just before him). and then a change in this last dispensation. It clearly says the all previous dispensation heads and prophets looked forward to our day for when truth would be provided (not restored). We have much truth, not only in doctrines of exaltation but sciences, math, cosmos, earth that never before existed.

One could ask why this is the case? The obvious answer is that which we LDS have heard for 50 years. Only in these the last days are people ready for these truths, and then few accept them. And of course when they are taught, Satan has power to add his differing truths. Hence the violence of the last days goes hand-in-hand with god providing these truths. Always balance in this world.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Luke wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:46 pm 3 Nephi 26
yeah, it's super fascinating. We know they had some temple theology but nothing was included in the writings we got. Like how crazy is it that we know virtually nothing about the Jaredite religion?