Out of touch

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

Out of touch

Post by Momma J »

Just wondering when the changing of the names of dates happened. I must have been napping.

Doing a bit of personal research, I noted the date was listed as BCE. I could guess as to the meaning but had to look it up.
CE is an abbreviation for Common Era.
BCE is short for Before Common Era.
The Common Era begins with year 1 in the Gregorian calendar.

Instead of AD and BC
CE and BCE are used in exactly the same way as the traditional abbreviations AD and BC.

AD is short for Anno Domini,
Latin for in the year of the Lord.
BC is an abbreviation of Before Christ.
Because AD and BC hold religious (Christian) connotations, many prefer to use the more modern and neutral CE and BCE to indicate if a year is before or after year 1.
Has it been like this for a while? Perhaps I am being sensitive, but I take this as an afront, a further erasing of Christ from society.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Out of touch

Post by EmmaLee »

Yes, it's been this way for a long time. It's sad - the attempt to remove Christ from everything. Let's keep using BC and AD any time the situation arises. Although, lately, I have been saying "BC" tongue-in-cheek, meaning "before covid", as that fraud has changed so many things in our lives, and does indeed mark a delineation point. But I will stop doing that, as BC should only be reserved for Before Christ.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

I have to laugh, because the "CE" (common era) matches the BC-AD (before Christ - anno domini) exactly. Only Christ is left out. It's still dated based on His birth --- that's what the "common era" is.

Even when trying to do a Christ-free dating system, they still date things from his birth.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

They keep attempting to erase him and we will keep lifting him back up into his revered place and interjecting his name as often as possible. I fear one day children will "stumble" on the name Christ and ask their parents who that is.... as they are unable to find mention of him via internet search engines. (far reach)

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

CE = Christ's Era
BCE = Before Christ's Era

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

ransomme wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:19 am CE = Christ's Era
BCE = Before Christ's Era
This works for me. I appreciate problem solvers!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Yes, that is as old as the hills, or me. I first saw it in the 1960s, I believe. So maybe even before that.
dc

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

David13 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:56 am Yes, that is as old as the hills, or me. I first saw it in the 1960s, I believe. So maybe even before that.
dc
Yes, way, WAY older than you, David! I got this off the interwebs -

"The BCE/CE dating system was first used in the 17th century and has been used since in scholarly publications read by people of all faiths and cultures in an effort to be inclusive."

"Inclusive" - barf. :roll: