Stripping quotes from search results

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
h_p
captain of 1,000

Stripping quotes from search results

Post by h_p »

Would this be possible? When I run a search, or use the "Show your posts" button, the results return a set of posts that have the quote attributions removed. This makes it impossible to find a post from a given person that contains the terms I'm searching for, unless I click through to see the actual post.

For example, this post makes it look like Niemand used the word "vaccine" in his post, but the word was actually found within someone else's text that he quoted, which of course was also in the search results. So Niemand's really wasn't relevant to this particular query, and at first glance, makes it look like he wrote what someone else did.

This inflates the search results and makes it harder to find what I'm actually looking for. And since most people when they post are quoting other folk's posts, there's an awful lot of chaff in the search.
post.gif
post.gif (36.46 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Stripping quotes from search results

Post by Niemand »

I know the post in question, I was quoting someone else so their words look like mine.

But I've noticed this problem recently. The search algorithm is "powered by Google" which explains the quirks and biases.

I tend to avoid using "vaccine" in regard to the mRNA shots, because I don't think they qualify as such. I prefer the likes of jag, jab and shot. I think I have used the term today in this context, but I try to avoid it. I'm also not a fan of the term "antivaxxer", because not only is it a slur, but it covers a disparate group of people who often have little in common with each other except for not towing the official line.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A previous post I made on the issues with the archive. I've since found some ways round it.

viewtopic.php?p=1193956#p1193956

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I think it would be awesome if the search results hid all quoted material. Several times I've wanted to find what a user said, but there were so many results that quoted the quote, not the actual words of the poster that it was a futile effort and a waste of my time.
h_p wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:39 pm Would this be possible? When I run a search, or use the "Show your posts" button, the results return a set of posts that have the quote attributions removed. This makes it impossible to find a post from a given person that contains the terms I'm searching for, unless I click through to see the actual post.

For example, this post makes it look like Niemand used the word "vaccine" in his post, but the word was actually found within someone else's text that he quoted, which of course was also in the search results. So Niemand's really wasn't relevant to this particular query, and at first glance, makes it look like he wrote what someone else did.

This inflates the search results and makes it harder to find what I'm actually looking for. And since most people when they post are quoting other folk's posts, there's an awful lot of chaff in the search.

post.gif

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver Pie wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:34 pm I think it would be awesome if the search results hid all quoted material. Several times I've wanted to find what a user said, but there were so many results that quoted the quote, not the actual words of the poster that it was a futile effort and a waste of my time.
h_p wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:39 pm Would this be possible? When I run a search, or use the "Show your posts" button, the results return a set of posts that have the quote attributions removed. This makes it impossible to find a post from a given person that contains the terms I'm searching for, unless I click through to see the actual post.

post.gif
The oldest search result will find the first use.