Polygamous Prophet Arrested

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Re: Polygamous Prophet Arrested

Post by Letfreedumbring »

I never understood polygamy and how it was necessary to our salvation regardless of countless years of study. In fact, its practice in the latter days is even more confusing than in ancient days to be fully truthful. There were not a ton of scriptures accumulated in ancient days that could be potentially violated without a special interpretation needed.

Here is one of them: Jacob 2
Chapter Heading - The Lord commands that no man among the Nephites may have more than one wife—The Lord delights in the chastity of women

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any aman among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on December 5th, 2022, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Letfreedumbring wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:13 pm I never understood polygamy and how it was necessary to our salvation regardless of countless years of study. In fact, its practice in the latter days is even more confusing than in ancient days to be fully truthful. There were not been a ton of scriptures accumulated in ancient days that could be potentially violated without a special interpretation needed.

Chapter Heading - The Lord commands that no man among the Nephites may have more than one wife—The Lord delights in the chastity of women

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any aman among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
I wish people would think.

What did Nephi say about it? Nephi grew up with it, Jacob didn’t. Some could say Paul grew up with it but as a Jew he grew up in a Roman setting, so….

The real question is what do those two have in common?

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:21 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm
Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Durzan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:48 am Good riddance. Theoretically, I am generally in support of polygamy... but stuff like what this guy was doing is a great perversion.
I'm okay with polygamy, but paedophilia and incest (if true) are big no nos. Polygamy should be between consenting adults who are not closely related. I would say the same about monogamy.

The western world is completely hypocritical for banning it.
?? And just like that you accept polygamy?

Jacob 2 is quite clear, the only exception is when the Lord commands it, and those times have been extremely rare. And never in modern history.
A good chunk of the Old Testament was written by polygamists.
I guess I didn’t realize that. Who were they all?

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 8:22 pm
Letfreedumbring wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:13 pm I never understood polygamy and how it was necessary to our salvation regardless of countless years of study. In fact, its practice in the latter days is even more confusing than in ancient days to be fully truthful. There were not been a ton of scriptures accumulated in ancient days that could be potentially violated without a special interpretation needed.

What did Nephi say about it? Nephi grew up with it, Jacob didn’t. Some could say Paul grew up with it but as a Jew he grew up in a Roman setting, so….

Nephi? What did he say about it?

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Allison wrote: December 4th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Nothing! What did Peter say about it?

The lord told Jacob to not allow it 600 ish years before his prophetic mission and Peter allowed it and Paul restricted it in 49ish AD then banned it later.

Everyone wants to argue about BOM and the drama they can twist out of present day Prophets (we all have the gift of prophecy) “Jospeh Smith wasn’t a liar, believe Jospeh” Peter lied, right? Is Jospeh better then Peter?

John 10: 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Jesus remembers what he had the polygamist David write but??? Waky waky

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:07 pm

The lord told Jacob to not allow it 600 ish years before his prophetic mission and Peter allowed it and Paul restricted it in 49ish AD then banned it later.

Everyone wants to argue about BOM and the drama they can twist out of present day Prophets (we all have the gift of prophecy) “Jospeh Smith wasn’t a liar, believe Jospeh” Peter lied, right? Is Jospeh better then Peter?

John 10: 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

I don’t know, it’s hard to follow you, but you do sound like a passionate believer.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

The perpetual hot button issue, that is always certain to draw a big and emotional response.

Although the Constitution that so many claim to believe in requires a presumption of innocence until proven guilty, even this highly biased and inflammatory hit piece admits that: Bateman has not yet been charged with any sex-related crime.

So, he’s been jailed for the awful crime of hauling kids around in a trailer, charged with the serious federal crime of encouraging deletion of social media accounts, and accused of every other sexual atrocity known to man, but has not yet been charged with anything in that regard.

Talk about making mountains out of molehills, just because he’s a polygamist.

But how quick so many are to judge.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

And, how in the He!! can this particular incident even be considered legitimate news, let alone a “Gospel Discussion”?

Oh, here’s a hit piece about a polygamist. That isn’t just hot news, it’s a gospel discussion!

LDSFFers are really stooping to this level?
Last edited by tmac on December 4th, 2022, 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Allison wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:14 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:07 pm

I don’t know, it’s hard to follow you, but you do sound like a passionate believer.
I don’t understand how it’s hard, it’s a simple timeline of scripture and the lord’s dealing with polygamy with the sons and daughters of his Father.

The main reason Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed is because all of the spirits (children) that were given to them could never have a chance to learn and repent. He could have done what he did in 3rd Nephi but it was better to use them as an example. He told us Sodom and Gomorrah has a better chance at judgement day then Capernaum.

Why would Jesus have his apostles tell us about Capernaum being damn and not about polygamy being an abomination?

Every time polygamy is brought up in the BOM it’s “many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.”

Do you truly understand what a concubine is? A virgin mistress! Maybe Jacob included many wives with concubines to make people understand that, you have many wives, why do you need mistresses that your wives don’t know about? That is an abomination, that is like having sex with your wife when she is bleeding or having sex with another man.

Let’s put some real thought into his words…..

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:58 pm
cab wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:33 pm
Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:21 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm

?? And just like that you accept polygamy?

Jacob 2 is quite clear, the only exception is when the Lord commands it, and those times have been extremely rare. And never in modern history.
A good chunk of the Old Testament was written by polygamists.

Makes you wonder why the higher gospel and gift of the Holy Ghost was withheld from them.
Weird how the lord quoted David…..

He did. David knew how to repent. Just read the Psalms.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:35 pm The perpetual hot button issue, that is always certain to draw a big and emotional response.

Although the Constitution that so many claim to believe in requires a presumption of innocence until proven guilty, even this highly biased and inflammatory hit piece admits that: Bateman has not yet been charged with any sex-related crime.
There is nothing wrong with due process of law. This is exactly what irritates me about the Democrat party's obsession with trying to impeach Trump. If they have evidence, let's hear it! Yet, they hide behind rumor and accept it as fact that he has done whatever and is already guilty.

Certainly if the conditions in the Bateman news story are to be believed they paint a bleak picture for the lives of the people involved. I am fine with leaving the courts to decide that. It should be presumably easy to prove.

My comments were directed toward the subject of polygamy which one can never really talk about openly and honestly in any church setting without being shut down or for fear of ecclesiatical reprisal. I thought this might be a chance.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Allison wrote: December 4th, 2022, 8:48 pm I guess I didn’t realize that. Who were they all?
King Solomon and King David to name but two.

1st Book of Kings, chapter eleven:
But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites: Of the nations concerning which the Lord said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.
And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.
So it's not totally complimentary, but Solomon still got to write parts of the Bible. The reason that the number is so large is because he married some for political reasons, from neighbouring tribes and nations and ones that they defeated.

Abraham, Saul and various others were also polygamous.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

In this we see the wisdom in the prophet in trying to distance ourselves from the name of "Mormon"

Drudge is running this as "Mormon prophet arrested" on his news ticker.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

JLHPROF wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:53 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:30 am
blitzinstripes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:30 am There's a special place in hell for creeps like him.
What if he produces a revelation, will you believe him then?

Oh wait! What if he says "Joseph said", will you believe him then?
Joseph Smith restored the practice of plural marriage. How people have tried to practice it has been their own ideas. People like this guy are clearly doing it wrong. Most who've tried seem to have done it wrong. 🤷
A few seem to have managed to be better.
Please give first-person records of this. Thanks.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:02 pm The original Temple was built by a polygamist. The Psalms were written by a polygamist. Abraham's descendants are all the results of polygamy too. We're supposed to be related to him, if not by blood but by adoption (depending on your POV)

So yes, we owe a lot to polygamists.

I don't think polygamy is the problem. It wasn't a problem when David married multiple women, it was a problem when David tried to kill Bathsheba's husband.

The way things are going I doubt I will even be a monogamist, but I don't have an issue with polygamy as long as it's fairly done... i.e. no incest or little girls.
According to Jacob, the Lord did have a problem with David's polygamy.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:35 pm The perpetual hot button issue, that is always certain to draw a big and emotional response.

So, he’s been jailed for the awful crime of hauling kids around in a trailer, charged with the serious federal crime of encouraging deletion of social media accounts, and accused of every other sexual atrocity known to man, but has not yet been charged with anything in that regard.

And, how in the He!! can this particular incident even be considered legitimate news, let alone a “Gospel Discussion”?

Oh, here’s a hit piece about a polygamist. That isn’t just hot news, it’s a gospel discussion!

I get the impression from your post that you like BY polygamy practices and think they are the way to be?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Then you are very impressionable, with highly inaccurate perceptions. This thread isn’t about me or what I think. And it’s not about plural marriage and the inevitable and repetitious ad nauseum discussion about it. It is about people and their paradigms and biases running wild. If I don’t miss my guess it will spawn another 20 pages of repetitious drivel.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

tmac wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:54 am Then you are very impressionable, with highly inaccurate perceptions. This thread isn’t about me or what I think. And it’s not about plural marriage and the inevitable and repetitious ad nauseum discussion about it. It is about people and their paradigms and biases running wild. If I don’t miss my guess it will spawn another 20 pages of repetitious drivel.
OK.

You say the topic it's about people and their biases.

You are a person and I was suggesting you had a bias. So according to your own declared standard for this topic I am on topic even though I might be very impressionable and my perceptions are highly inaccurate. 😆😉🙂

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

LDS Physician wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:01 am
Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:02 pm The original Temple was built by a polygamist. The Psalms were written by a polygamist. Abraham's descendants are all the results of polygamy too. We're supposed to be related to him, if not by blood but by adoption (depending on your POV)

I don't think polygamy is the problem. It wasn't a problem when David married multiple women, it was a problem when David tried to kill Bathsheba's husband.

The way things are going I doubt I will even be a monogamist, but I don't have an issue with polygamy as long as it's fairly done... i.e. no incest or little girls.
Why are you twisting Jacob’s words? Is concubines more or less the same thing? If the lord had a problem with David’s polygamy then why did Nathan say the lord would have given him more wives?

The lord knew he told David that we are gods and he told the Pharisees that he said “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”. Does that mean the BOM is fake since the lord didn’t condemn polygamy? No one brought up eunuchs when they questioned the lord about divorcement, he brought it up. Why would the lord talk about eunuchs and not something that he finds abominable, the house of Judah was practicing polygamy when he was there talking about eunuchs……

Why are “Mormons” so anti Bible? We have eyes but we can’t see….

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Bronco73idi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:52 am

Why are you twisting Jacob’s words? Is concubines more or less the same thing? If the lord had a problem with David’s polygamy then why did Nathan say the lord would have given him more wives?

The lord knew he told David that we are gods and he told the Pharisees that he said “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”. Does that mean the BOM is fake since the lord didn’t condemn polygamy? No one brought up eunuchs when they questioned the lord about divorcement, he brought it up. Why would the lord talk about eunuchs and not something that he finds abominable, the house of Judah was practicing polygamy when he was there talking about eunuchs……

Jacob says polygamy is an abomination. No ancient scripture ever shows any place where God commands polygamy, not a single place does God command it.

Not until BY came on the scene and molested the scriptures and used the principles of priest craft to secure unto him self anything he wanted and did whatever he wanted and he twisted the words of JS and he altered the scriptures and he hid away information and he censored information that would defeat him.

That is the foundation of LDS polygamy and all those who have followed after BY and attempted to institute and live by his egocentric and selfish doctrine on polygamy end up having the fruits of that failed system and idea. Over and over again BY brings about abused children, raped children, abused wives, abused men, and fear, and threats, and psychological manipulation and indoctrination and no true free will or agency but mind control and confinement and limits, at the end of the day.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

You're the only one who sounds emotional here, tmac. You're the only one making mountains out of molehills. Yet you accuse others of "judging" and of being "hypocrites"?? Perhaps you should look in a mirror, brother.

Also, are you physically or mentally incapable of scrolling by threads that you don't like? Or is some unknown force making you read and then post on threads that upset you and that make you feel uncomfortable? When I see a thread that I have no interest in, do you know what I do? I scroll right on by. Amazing! Such a simple thing to do. You should try it sometime, tmac, instead of reading and commenting on threads you don't like and threads that you get all emotional about, like this one. But thanks for bumping it back up to the top with your loving and Christ-like comment!

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

darknesstolight wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:32 am
Bronco73idi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:52 am

Jacob says polygamy is an abomination. No ancient scripture ever shows any place where God commands polygamy, not a single place does God command it.

Not until BY came on the scene and molested the scriptures and used the principles of priest craft to secure unto him self anything he wanted and did whatever he wanted and he twisted the words of JS and he altered the scriptures and he hid away information and he censored information that would defeat him.

That is the foundation of LDS polygamy and all those who have followed after BY and attempted to institute and live by his egocentric and selfish doctrine on polygamy end up having the fruits of that failed system and idea. Over and over again BY brings about abused children, raped children, abused wives, abused men, and fear, and threats, and psychological manipulation and indoctrination and no true free will or agency but mind control and confinement and limits, at the end of the day.

I can’t read past your first sentence of blasphemy!

D&C 112
26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.

You profess to know him….

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Subcomandante wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:54 am In this we see the wisdom in the prophet in trying to distance ourselves from the name of "Mormon"

Drudge is running this as "Mormon prophet arrested" on his news ticker.
Yes, that horrible, awful, Satanic word "Mormon". It must be shunned! It must be disavowed! It must never be spoken again! Change the name of the Book of MORMON - the very KEYSTONE of our religion - and do it NOW! In fact, the Book of MORMON is racist, so let's just do away with it altogether! Change Mormon's name, too - how DARE he have such a Satanic name - giving victories to Satan every time it's spoken. What were his parents thinking by naming him that - did they not know that Corporate Sole Nelson would consider it a latter-day swear word all those many years later? Hinckley and Monson - victories for Satan during their entire tenures!! Benson, too; the horrors!!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

tmac wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:54 am Then you are very impressionable, with highly inaccurate perceptions. This thread isn’t about me or what I think. And it’s not about plural marriage and the inevitable and repetitious ad nauseum discussion about it. It is about people and their paradigms and biases running wild. If I don’t miss my guess it will spawn another 20 pages of repetitious drivel.
Thanks for bumping the thread that you hate so very much back up to the top with your comment, tmac! :D

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

EmmaLee wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:37 am

You're the only one who sounds emotional here, tmac. You're the only one making mountains out of molehills. Yet you accuse others of "judging" and of being "hypocrites"?? Perhaps you should look in a mirror, brother.

Also, are you physically or mentally incapable of scrolling by threads that you don't like? Or is some unknown force making you read and then post on threads that upset you and that make you feel uncomfortable? When I see a thread that I have no interest in, do you know what I do? I scroll right on by. Amazing! Such a simple thing to do. You should try it sometime, tmac, instead of reading and commenting on threads you don't like and threads that you get all emotional about, like this one. But thanks for bumping it back up to the top with your loving and Christ-like comment!
Fair enough. I’ve never met a completely honest person, or one who wasn’t a hypocrite. So, guilty, as charged.

But, like I said, undoubtedly, this will turn into another 20 pages of repetitious, ad nauseum drivel. For LDSFF and the Mormon Church, plural marriage is the gift that just keeps on giving — endless subject matter to whine about. Have fun.
Last edited by tmac on December 5th, 2022, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

tmac wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:52 am
EmmaLee wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:37 am

Like I said, undoubtedly, another 20 pages of repetitious drivel. For LDSFF and the Mormon Church, plural marriage is the gift that just keeps on giving — endless subject matter to whine about.
I believe you secretly LOVE this thread - otherwise, you wouldn't keep reading it and commenting on it, which of course, puts it right back up to the top where even more people will see it. So thanks!