Polygamous Prophet Arrested

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Polygamous Prophet Arrested

Post by EmmaLee »

Full article and photos here - https://www.theblaze.com/news/polygamis ... ing%20News

Polygamist 'prophet' accused of marrying 20 women and girls, including his own daughter, hauling some of them around in windowless trailer with bucket for toilet

CORTNEY WEIL
December 04, 2022

A self-described "prophet" of his own radical splinter sect of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is in custody and facing federal and local charges after police said he endangered the lives of children by towing them inside a squalid trailer.

Back on August 28, a state trooper in northern Arizona noticed that an SUV with a trailer had pulled off to the side of I-40. When he took a closer look, the trooper said he saw "children's small fingers moving in the gap of the rear trailer door," a sign that the driver of the SUV was hauling the trailer with young children inside.

When the trooper investigated further, he discovered that the trailer was, indeed, "full of people including children." The trailer also contained a couch, various personal items, and a makeshift toilet from a bucket, but no windows or air vents, the trooper alleged.

Fox 10 Phoenix reported that area temperatures soared to 106 degrees that day.

In all, there were three girls between the ages of 11 and 14 in the trailer and two more under 15 in the SUV. There were also two adult women in the SUV.

The trooper arrested the driver, 46-year-old Samuel Rappylee Bateman, who claims to lead a splinter FLDS group in Colorado City, Arizona, where he lives. Bateman was booked in the Coconino County Jail in Flagstaff on three counts of child abuse and released. :!: :!: :!:

But his legal troubles did not end there. On September 13, the FBI then raided Bateman's Colorado City home after agents claimed that, while he was still in state custody, Bateman demanded that some of his followers delete their communications from the messaging app, Signal. For those alleged demands, Bateman was slapped with three federal counts of destroying or attempting to destroy records and tampering with criminal proceedings.

Still, the affidavit submitted by FBI Agent Dawn A. Martin alleges that Bateman's malfeasance extends well beyond tampering with evidence. According to Martin, Bateman has repeatedly engaged in heinous acts of sexual abuse and child sex trafficking under the guise of spiritual leadership. Though Bateman has not yet been charged with any sex-related crime, the affidavit states that prosecutors have probable cause to believe that, between May 2020 and November 2021, he transported minors around Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Nebraska for the explicit purpose of trafficking them sexually.
The affidavit also states that Bateman has amassed "approximately 50 followers and more than 20 wives, many of whom are minors, mostly under the age of 15." Some of the girls he supposedly married were just 9 years old at the time. He even discussed marrying his own teenage daughter in 2019, the report claims.

Bateman also sexually trafficked several of his daughters to some of his male followers, the affidavit alleges. In November 2021, he supposedly bragged to a Colorado City couple that "Heavenly Father" had instructed him to avail three men of the sexual services of three of his daughters, one of whom was just 12.

"God will fix their bodies and put the membrane back in their body," Bateman supposedly said at the time. "I've never had more confidence in doing his will. It's all out of love."

Bateman faces up to 60 years for the current federal charges and perhaps up to 10 years on the state child abuse charges, if convicted, AZ Central reported.

Law enforcement has since removed nine minor girls from Bateman's home while the investigation continues. Those girls had been placed in various group homes in Arizona, but last weekend, eight of them were reported missing. By Thursday, all eight had been found in an Airbnb near Spokane, Washington.

Moretta Rose Johnson, 19, who supposedly married Bateman before she turned 18, was charged with kidnapping the girls. Two other women have been charged with kidnapping in the incident as well.

Though the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints actively promoted polygamy when it was founded, the LDS church banned the practice in 1890, and most mainstream Mormons openly denounce it. Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Guam, and Puerto Rico.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Re: Polygamous Prophet Arrested

Post by blitzinstripes »

There's a special place in hell for creeps like him.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Good riddance. Theoretically, I am generally in support of polygamy... but stuff like what this guy was doing is a great perversion.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

blitzinstripes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:30 am There's a special place in hell for creeps like him.
What if he produces a revelation, will you believe him then?

Oh wait! What if he says "Joseph said", will you believe him then?

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:30 am
blitzinstripes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:30 am There's a special place in hell for creeps like him.

Joseph Smith restored the practice of plural marriage. How people have tried to practice it has been their own ideas. People like this guy are clearly doing it wrong. Most who've tried seem to have done it wrong. 🤷
A few seem to have managed to be better.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

JLHPROF wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:53 pm Joseph Smith restored the practice of plural marriage. How people have tried to practice it has been their own ideas. People like this guy are clearly doing it wrong. Most who've tried seem to have done it wrong. 🤷
He used the threat of a head-chopping angel to sell it, if I'm not mistaken. How did Bateman convince his women?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

No, and NO.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

h_p wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:06 pm
JLHPROF wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:53 pm Joseph Smith restored the practice of plural marriage. How people have tried to practice it has been their own ideas. People like this guy are clearly doing it wrong. Most who've tried seem to have done it wrong. 🤷
He used the threat of a head-chopping angel to sell it, if I'm not mistaken. How did Bateman convince his women?
Lol. What a cute tale told by Joseph that was believed by way too many.
Maybe Bateman was just honest and said he wanted multiple wives?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Here we go….

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

h_p wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:06 pm
Here is a good paper of the head chopping angel with a flaming sword.

https://ensignpeakfoundation.org/wp-con ... -Sword.pdf

It’s funny how JS was scared of being slayed by both this angel 😇 and his peers. BY did not care about his peers and let any wife divorce him at any time. One took him up on that invitation.

Edit: isn’t there a scripture about if you fear for your life you will loose your life? An alpha would say, man up!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Durzan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:48 am Good riddance. Theoretically, I am generally in support of polygamy... but stuff like what this guy was doing is a great perversion.
I'm okay with polygamy, but paedophilia and incest (if true) are big no nos. Polygamy should be between consenting adults who are not closely related. I would say the same about monogamy.

The western world is completely hypocritical for banning it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Durzan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:48 am Good riddance. Theoretically, I am generally in support of polygamy... but stuff like what this guy was doing is a great perversion.
I'm okay with polygamy, but paedophilia and incest (if true) are big no nos. Polygamy should be between consenting adults who are not closely related. I would say the same about monogamy.

?? And just like that you accept polygamy?

Jacob 2 is quite clear, the only exception is when the Lord commands it, and those times have been extremely rare. And never in modern history.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:00 pm It’s funny how JS was scared of being slayed by both this angel 😇 and his peers. BY did not care about his peers and let any wife divorce him at any time. One took him up on that invitation.
I think it's funny that God was apparently so insistent on forcing his people to accept a practice so repulsive to so many of them that he had to threaten them with violence to do it. But then when the pressure really came down in 1887 and the government started confiscating church property, that angel was nowhere to be found. Like God was saying, "They passed a law, what can I do? Forget I said anything." Angels can only threaten believers, I guess.

But then when it comes to letting a black man hold the priesthood and go to the temple, he was content with waiting 150 years until practically everybody thought it was repugnant NOT to, all the while letting his "prophets" make up stories about why, adding insult to injury. No angel threatening anybody over THAT spiritual abuse...weird.

And then we all laugh and scorn this nutball for his trailer-park harem. Ha! He's *obviously* just doing it for his own kicks 'n giggles.

Maybe all this stuff we think God is telling us is just voices in somebody's head.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

That is disgusting! When he suffers God's justice he will be utterly amazed at the pain he caused.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I heard polygamists face legal housing discrimination in all 50 states. Romney should have fixed that in his defense of marriage act ...

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Joking aside, this guy is creepy. Those young girls need help.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

This is the fruit of BY polygamy. It cannot be made good.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

JLHPROF wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Joseph Smith restored the practice of plural marriage. How people have tried to practice it has been their own ideas. People like this guy are clearly doing it wrong. Most who've tried seem to have done it wrong. 🤷
<Brigham Young enters the chat>

You are doing it all wrong!

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

h_p wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:00 pm It’s funny how JS was scared of being slayed by both this angel 😇 and his peers. BY did not care about his peers and let any wife divorce him at any time. One took him up on that invitation.
I think it's funny that God was apparently so insistent on forcing his people to accept a practice so repulsive to so many of them that he had to threaten them with violence to do it. But then when the pressure really came down in 1887 and the government started confiscating church property, that angel was nowhere to be found.
When asked to testify before Congress, the angel invoked his 5th amendment rights on the advice of counsel.

There really was no point in bringing him on the stand at that point.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

h_p wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:42 pm
I think it's funny that God was apparently so insistent on forcing his people to accept a practice so repulsive to so many of them that he had to threaten them with violence to do it. But then when the pressure really came down in 1887 and the government started confiscating church property, that angel was nowhere to be found. Like God was saying, "They passed a law, what can I do? Forget I said anything." Angels can only threaten believers, I guess.

But then when it comes to letting a black man hold the priesthood and go to the temple, he was content with waiting 150 years until practically everybody thought it was repugnant NOT to, all the while letting his "prophets" make up stories about why, adding insult to injury. No angel threatening anybody over THAT spiritual abuse...weird.

And then we all laugh and scorn this nutball for his trailer-park harem. Ha! He's *obviously* just doing it for his own kicks 'n giggles.

Maybe all this stuff we think God is telling us is just voices in somebody's head.
I tell people all the time, you are stupid not to be an atheist! 250 billion to 1 chance to create a single cell organism is better then the possibility that Jesus (the man who did not oppose polygamy during his prophetic mission) died for our sins which would mean this whole world is about religion!

I’m Glad you are not that stupid to believe in religion and especially that we are gods!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Jacob 2 is quite clear, the only exception is when the Lord commands it, and those times have been extremely rare. And never in modern history.
A good chunk of the Old Testament was written by polygamists.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Niemand wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Seems as if you’d make good friends with many of the Nephites Jacob was directing his words to.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Makes you wonder why the higher gospel and gift of the Holy Ghost was withheld from them.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

cab wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:33 pm

Makes you wonder why the higher gospel and gift of the Holy Ghost was withheld from them.
Weird how the lord quoted David…..

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The original Temple was built by a polygamist. The Psalms were written by a polygamist. Abraham's descendants are all the results of polygamy too. We're supposed to be related to him, if not by blood but by adoption (depending on your POV)

So yes, we owe a lot to polygamists.

I don't think polygamy is the problem. It wasn't a problem when David married multiple women, it was a problem when David tried to kill Bathsheba's husband.

The way things are going I doubt I will even be a monogamist, but I don't have an issue with polygamy as long as it's fairly done... i.e. no incest or little girls.