A Global Faith and Working on the Railroad - Unraveling One of the Most Interesting Threads To Appear On LDSFF

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: A Global Faith and Working on the Railroad - Unraveling One of the Most Interesting Threads To Appear On LDSFF

Post by endlessQuestions »

Atrasado wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:05 am
creator wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:50 am I don't know the source.
It looks like the sort of thing Jack Anderson might have used. Or, the John Birch Society. It seemed like it was made to be used by a writer.

In any case, there's a lot of info in it that is known to be accurate so it's easy to suspect the rest of it is also accurate.

It's a very disheartening thing to read just before church. I'm not surprised, but it still saddens me. The things we have lost by not being faithful and the lives that were ruined by these tares/cabalists are each hard to contemplate. They are truly worthy of the cup of wrath which we will drink if we don't repent.
I'm not a fan of "easy to suspect".

The document is suspect, until it is properly sourced - at least to me.

This is something I'm willing to spend a bit of time digging into... but not sure where it will fall on the priority list.

It's an interesting document, to be sure, but needs to be properly sourced in order to be useful (in my opinion).

tmac
captain of 1,000

Re: A Global Faith and Working on the Railroad - Unraveling One of the Most Interesting Threads To Appear On LDSFF

Post by tmac »

It is interesting that DHO spoke so openly and glowingly about his Marxist mentors in his talk at the J. Rueben Clark Law Society.

Another big question is how he ever acquired any kind of conservative persona within the Church? Where did that come from?

I’m actually surprised Atticus hasn’t attempted to jump in for damage control yet.
Last edited by tmac on December 4th, 2022, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

HVDC wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:22 am
endlessismyname wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:00 am
tmac wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:00 am
HVDC wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 7:51 am I have not been able to identify the Chicago Law Firm he worked at for three years.

And I don't have time right now to keep looking.

Does anyone know?

"...Elder Oaks was able to obtain a coveted position as law clerk to Earl Warren, chief justice of the United States Supreme Court. Returning to Chicago, he practiced corporate law for three years and then became a professor at the prestigious law school from which he had received his degree. Over the next ten years he distinguished himself as a teacher and scholar and also served as associate and acting dean and as executive director of the American Bar Foundation. In 1971, Elder Oaks was appointed president of Brigham Young University..."

Sir H
Kirkland, Ellis, Hodson, Chaffetz & Masters, otherwise usually referred to simply as Kirkland, Ellis -- which obviously served as a great springboard for many of his elitist connections. It is fair to say that DHO did not necessarily come from an elite background, but he very, very quickly developed a multitude of elitist connections.
This feels like a critical piece of the puzzle.

Why was he chosen out?

By his own admission, he wasn't all that smart.

He was ambitious, and by all accounts, very hard working. I saw a source where his first wife says he was gone from 7am to 11pm every day except for Sunday during the early years of their marriage. Her quote was something along the lines of "those were very difficult times". I know what that means when my wife says it... I don't imagine it means anything all that different when Sister Oaks says it.

He was also deeply traumatized by the loss of his father at an impressionable age, as we all would be.

So why?

And who... WHO chose Dallin H. Oaks to be catapulted into this elite circle? That is a good research question right there...
Mommy gave him to them.

Price of admission.

First born.

Like Rumpelstiltskin.

I think the real question is becoming.

Who choose Stella.

Sir H
I think the question of "Was Stella chosen" is definitely pertinent.

And if the evidence points to the fact that she was "chosen", then the next logical question is the one you ask: "Who chose her"?

And "What was the cost of being chosen"?

Lots of work to do still before we can draw any conclusions.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:42 am It is interesting that DHO spoke so openly and glowingly about his Marxist mentors at in his talk at the J. Rueben Clark Law Society.

Another big question is how he ever acquired any kind of conservative persona within the Church? Where did that come from?
Definitely worth researching.

Personas are an interesting thing.

AGF had one.
DHO has one.
RMN has one.

What I'm more interested in, because I believe it's what the Lord is more interested in, is the person. Because personas can be crafted... but the person just is.

I get leery the further the persona drifts from the person. And right now I've got red flags everywhere regarding these men who lead our church, because the gap between persona and person appears wide and, in some cases, irreconcilable. And that's a recipe for disaster.

For example, the persona of the brethren is that they are dedicated family men. But when you look at how they behaved, you see they were largely absentee husbands and fathers, at least from a physical standpoint. It takes nearly no effort to find quotes from both Sister Oaks and Sister Nelson to prove this. The hypocrisy of marketing the message "Family - Isn't it about time?" while being gone from 7 am to 11 pm every day of the week for years on end rubs me the wrong way. But maybe that's my problem, and not theirs. I really don't know, and I have no authority or responsibility to judge.

To say I see through a glass darkly regarding these matters would be an understatement. I have access to very little information, and no access to the individuals directly, so it's important we don't jump to conclusions. Slow and steady research combined with prayer is the best tool I know of to make progress under such conditions.

I would much rather just meet with these men and ask my questions directly, as the scriptures indicate I should. But in today's church, the brethren have put up firewalls and blockades - perhaps, justifiably so.

In the end, I think the condition of not knowing whether our leaders (as individuals) have entered into agreements, contracts, oaths, covenants, or promises that have divided their allegiance will become intolerable for many. It's not "a" question, it's "THE" question for those who have truly devoted their allegiance to Christ alone.

The fact that the brethren won't just address it openly and frankly, in front of all those whom they profess to lead, is deeply concerning to me. I can forgive a man who has made a mistake, repented of it, and devoted their life to Christ. The scriptures are full of such men. What I can't tolerate is a man or group of men who have divided allegiances - because my Master taught over and over again that such men are not to be trusted or followed. Pretty simple, in the end.

EDIT: Just so there's no confusion as to what I mean regarding allegiance:

1) the loyalty of a citizen to his or her government or of a subject to his or her sovereign;
2) loyalty or devotion to some person, group, cause, or the like.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

When it comes to these top leaders, I do think the gap between person and persona is highly relevant.

Wouldn’t God be more inclined to choose leaders whose actual person and persona are more in alignment?

But since we have plenty of evidence of these personas that we have been spoon fed, this work you’re doing to more accurately paint a picture, based on actual reality, of what the actual person really looks like, is important. To me it has become fairly clear, from a realistic spiritual perspective, that DHO and RMN essentially “squandered” their young fatherhoods, chasing worldly acclaim. And, frankly, now as top church leaders it does not really seem like much has changed.

Any time there has been a lot of time, effort and resources devoted to make something seem different than it really is raises serious suspicion. And that seems to be something we’re dealing with here.
Last edited by tmac on December 4th, 2022, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:44 am
HVDC wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:22 am
endlessismyname wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:00 am
tmac wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:00 am

Kirkland, Ellis, Hodson, Chaffetz & Masters, otherwise usually referred to simply as Kirkland, Ellis -- which obviously served as a great springboard for many of his elitist connections. It is fair to say that DHO did not necessarily come from an elite background, but he very, very quickly developed a multitude of elitist connections.
This feels like a critical piece of the puzzle.

Why was he chosen out?

By his own admission, he wasn't all that smart.

He was ambitious, and by all accounts, very hard working. I saw a source where his first wife says he was gone from 7am to 11pm every day except for Sunday during the early years of their marriage. Her quote was something along the lines of "those were very difficult times". I know what that means when my wife says it... I don't imagine it means anything all that different when Sister Oaks says it.

He was also deeply traumatized by the loss of his father at an impressionable age, as we all would be.

So why?

And who... WHO chose Dallin H. Oaks to be catapulted into this elite circle? That is a good research question right there...
Mommy gave him to them.

Price of admission.

First born.

Like Rumpelstiltskin.

I think the real question is becoming.

Who choose Stella.

Sir H

And if the evidence points to the fact that she was "chosen", then the next logical question is the one you ask: "Who chose her"?

And "What was the cost of being chosen"?

Lots of work to do still before we can draw any conclusions.
Just throwing stuff out there.

Brainstorming.

It could all be as innocent as freshly fallen snow.

Cast a wide net.

Don't want anyone to get away.

Sir H

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Speaking of Persona, this whole thing is starting to take on a Mormon, Bourne Identity-like persona.

Who chose whom/what?

Who chose DHO and/or Stella?

Is RMN just the lead-up?

It all raises lots of questions.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

endlessismyname wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 11:56 pm University of Chicago, communism, McCarthyism:

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/it-wa ... carthy-era

And Oaks' biggest influences, in his own words:

https://universe.byu.edu/2005/02/17/eld ... w-society/
Another denizen of the University of Chicago, was Prof. Leo Strauss, who apparently had a lot of influence on the various leaders/proponents of what is termed Neoconservatism.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:09 am
tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:42 am It is interesting that DHO spoke so openly and glowingly about his Marxist mentors at in his talk at the J. Rueben Clark Law Society.

Definitely worth researching.

Personas are an interesting thing.

AGF had one.
DHO has one.
RMN has one.

What I'm more interested in, because I believe it's what the Lord is more interested in, is the person. Because personas can be crafted... but the person just is.

I get leery the further the persona drifts from the person. And right now I've got red flags everywhere regarding these men who lead our church, because the gap between persona and person appears wide and, in some cases, irreconcilable. And that's a recipe for disaster.

For example, the persona of the brethren is that they are dedicated family men. But when you look at how they behaved, you see they were largely absentee husbands and fathers, at least from a physical standpoint. It takes nearly no effort to find quotes from both Sister Oaks and Sister Nelson to prove this. The hypocrisy of marketing the message "Family - Isn't it about time?" while being gone from 7 am to 11 pm every day of the week for years on end rubs me the wrong way. But maybe that's my problem, and not theirs. I really don't know, and I have no authority or responsibility to judge.

To say I see through a glass darkly regarding these matters would be an understatement. I have access to very little information, and no access to the individuals directly, so it's important we don't jump to conclusions. Slow and steady research combined with prayer is the best tool I know of to make progress under such conditions.

I would much rather just meet with these men and ask my questions directly, as the scriptures indicate I should. But in today's church, the brethren have put up firewalls and blockades - perhaps, justifiably so.

In the end, I think the condition of not knowing whether our leaders (as individuals) have entered into agreements, contracts, oaths, covenants, or promises that have divided their allegiance will become intolerable for many. It's not "a" question, it's "THE" question for those who have truly devoted their allegiance to Christ alone.

The fact that the brethren won't just address it openly and frankly, in front of all those whom they profess to lead, is deeply concerning to me. I can forgive a man who has made a mistake, repented of it, and devoted their life to Christ. The scriptures are full of such men. What I can't tolerate is a man or group of men who have divided allegiances - because my Master taught over and over again that such men are not to be trusted or followed. Pretty simple, in the end.

EDIT: Just so there's no confusion as to what I mean regarding allegiance:

1) the loyalty of a citizen to his or her government or of a subject to his or her sovereign;
2) loyalty or devotion to some person, group, cause, or the like.
The cognitive dissonance cannot be underestimated here. ANYONE who has spent years or decades committed to an organization...as most members on this forum have to the church...WILL HAVE a difficult time dealing with the IMPLICATIONS of facts uncovered in research...especially when it goes against our currently held view of the world.

We can even know they are true, yet we somehow want to pretend they are not, brush them under the rug...as we instinctively reach for our white shirt and tie.

I find myself doing this. It's definitely not a task for those with a closed mind or unwillingness to honestly consider new information.

I for one, wholeheartedly support and appreciate this thread. It's grass roots effort at trying to turn over rocks, form and test hypothesis, make connections where they can be made and thirst for another piece of the puzzle that can shed more light.

The most difficult decisions lie ahead. It may or may not happen here...but IF after evidence is presented that leaves no reasonable doubt as to the truthfulness of the conclusions reached...then what do we do about it??

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:40 am The document is suspect, until it is properly sourced - at least to me.

This is something I'm willing to spend a bit of time digging into... but not sure where it will fall on the priority list.

It's an interesting document, to be sure, but needs to be properly sourced in order to be useful (in my opinion).
Just like how all of AGF's claims were properly sourced. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

creator wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:14 pm
endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:40 am The document is suspect, until it is properly sourced - at least to me.

Just like how all of AGF's claims were properly sourced. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Touche.

But remember, I never accepted anything AGF claimed out of hand.

I just found it interesting and committed some time and energy to researching. And it seems to be yielding fruit.

Just as I will for this document, creator friend.

I'm an equal opportunity skeptic. :)

Thank your for giving us a space to do such research. Much appreciated.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

HVDC wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:05 am

Who was traveling the Utah countryside looking for future college grads? . . . .

Utah attracted a lot of attention back in the day.

Richard Burton, considered one of the founders of anthropology made his way here to deliberately scope out the practice of polygamy. He also hung out in Porter Rockwell's saloon during his sojourn. One of his hobbies was collecting information on various sexual practices of the societies he encountered.

Beatrice Webb, a cofounder of and principal in the Fabian Society, made two trips to Utah, one of which was apparently fueled by her interest in the Mormon co-ops, and United Order experiments,

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

HVDC wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:56 am
nvr wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:14 am I'm curious why the title of this thread is AGF's name and one of his thread titles and not simply a reference to some core issue to be analyzed?

What's the thread supposed to be about? That AGF, the LDS Q Anon, knows something and we're now going to comb through his 'drops' to figure out what he knew?

The coherent story here seems to be that perhaps Dallin Oaks has a shady / progressive background. Is the main idea that Oaks is really a closeted Marxist inserted by GBH (along with RMN) and they're all following the same commie handbook? Make that the subject of the thread !

People can obviously spend their time however they want -it seems more helpful to, first, do the digging, then start a thread with a main thesis backed by findings and, finally, discuss.
Again you just have to inject yourself into a thread that you admittedly don't like.

The main idea is that AGF had something to say.

We would like to know what it was.

Why are you trying to limit this inquiry?

You are repeating the same behaviour as before.

Since I haven't seen you do this in other threads.

It can't be brushed off as OCD.

Attention seeking?

Pet peeve?

Troll?

What are you really afraid of?

What truth are you trying to hide?

Start your own thread and distract us there.

Waman.

Sir H
Ha! Interesting me-too henpecking coming from an obvious and self-admitted troll! We’re generating folklore from some one who was clearly shilling. It’s threads like this with murky direction and an agenda to simply follow controversy that wastes attention and degrades the board. Not trying to limit anything- just asking for common courtesy to come up with a direction before centering the discussion on ‘who’s this mysterious source and what’s he trying to say’. I may have no stewardship on here or right to have a say on what should or shouldn’t be valid material, but …neither do you.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Where’s the cheese, to go with the whine?

And, where’s your own High-impact Issue Thread?

Looks like everybody’s pushing your buttons.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

More about the man Dallin H. Oaks was named after:

"Cyrus Dallin, had strong ties to Utah. But he never identified with Mormonism, perhaps because the LDS church appears to have excommunicated his father for supporting non-Mormon political candidates"

https://www.utahhumanities.org/stories/items/show/82

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Lots of good demographic information in this article on Stella:

https://mtpleasantpioneer.blogspot.com/ ... ostle.html

This little gem caught my attention - kids say the darndest things (this one is from Merrill):

"Mother's lack of interest in money and budgets was a source of great merriment to us, her children, when she became Assistant Mayor of Provo and chairman of the budget committee for the city"

Hardy har har. It's so hilarious when our elected officials don't have an interest in the things they've been elected to have stewardship over. Barrel of laughs.

EDIT: It also seems that ETB speaking at Stella's funeral was an assignment, and that the words he delivered were at least in part a prepared message from the First Presidency.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Reviewing some of the info from last night, and this trip Stella took pops out:

August 1937 to January 1938 Visited fifteen countries in Europe and for three months lived in Vienna, Austria, during her husband's post-doctoral studies there.

Is it normal for an opthamologist to do post-doctoral studies in Europe?

I dunno.

This would have been when Dallin was 5 and Merrill was 1.

Did they take the kids with them?

Or leave them with Mom and Dad.

Lots of leaving the kids with Mom and Dad, perhaps.

That would be hard on me if I were a kid... wondering why Mom was always leaving, being scared she might not come back.

Might give a guy a complex. Something like a really strong desire to please Mom so she'll stick around... especially after dad dies.

Would definitely be traumatic. No way around that.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

This is a bit of an aside, but here is an example of what Columbia was publishing the year Stella Oaks first attended:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... lCode=tcza

This is from the Teacher's College, which is where she would have been studying...

EDIT: and a really great resource on the Teacher's College in general:

https://www.tc.columbia.edu/articles/20 ... of-firsts/

Pay attention to these three names: James Russell, John Dewey and Edward Lee Thorndike

Dewey especially.

Learn about him and what his goals were for the new idea of "public education". Note his use of the now familiar phrase "our democracy" on the link I provided.

It will clear some things up.

Ever wondered where standardized testing came from?

"Thorndike also developed a “standard scale” to measure student performance, thereby launching the educational testing movement."

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Okay, here's a good find, at least in terms of verifying some things:

This link proves that Stella was indeed at Columbia in 1941. This was when she first enrolled... pre-nervous breakdown.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... &q1=stella

I'm trying to figure out what her plan was here. Was this a summer session, like she ended up doing after the nervous breakdown? Or was her initial plan to leave her kids with their grandma and grandpa and move to New York to go back to school full time?

Of potential interest is the address given.

https://www.wernewyork.com/ListingDetai ... k-NY-10027

"This classic Columbia University area two bedroom apartment has the distinction of being in one of the best buildings on beautiful Morningside Drive".

I know the question of "where did the money come from" has come up. I don't have any answers, but remember, her husband had just died. There was likely a life insurance policy of some kind.... so I don't know that anyone can say that she was "dirt poor" at this point. That kind of information is pretty difficult to dredge up, so I probably won't pursue it all that much.

Just for fun I searched for "Utah". Turns out Utah was well represented at Columbia in 1941, both in faculty and students. You've got a Romney hanging around... and this guy: Max Duane Bown. Here's a picture:
MaxDuaneBown.jpeg
MaxDuaneBown.jpeg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 369 times
He lived at 501 Cathedral Pkwy, New York, NY 10025

I kind of doubt they knew each other, because Max was finishing his PhD that year, was already married, and had only moved to Provo after his marriage in 1937, which is when Stella was in Europe.

Still, small world, right?

And we can now say it wasn't unheard of for a kid from UT to end up at Columbia. Seems there was actually a pretty good pipeline established at this point.

Still doesn't tell us how Stella herself ended up there, but it's progress.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

larsenb wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:12 pm
endlessismyname wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 11:56 pm University of Chicago, communism, McCarthyism:

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/it-wa ... carthy-era

And Oaks' biggest influences, in his own words:

https://universe.byu.edu/2005/02/17/eld ... w-society/
Another denizen of the University of Chicago, was Prof. Leo Strauss, who apparently had a lot of influence on the various leaders/proponents of what is termed Neoconservatism.
Leo Strauss=Korihor

Their philosophies are remarkably similar. I was just thinking about that guy the other day. I wonder how many good people he corrupted with his brand of nihilism.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:54 pm Reviewing some of the info from last night, and this trip Stella took pops out:

August 1937 to January 1938 Visited fifteen countries in Europe and for three months lived in Vienna, Austria, during her husband's post-doctoral studies there.

Is it normal for an opthamologist to do post-doctoral studies in Europe?

I dunno.

This would have been when Dallin was 5 and Merrill was 1.

Did they take the kids with them?

Or leave them with Mom and Dad.

Lots of leaving the kids with Mom and Dad, perhaps.

That would be hard on me if I were a kid... wondering why Mom was always leaving, being scared she might not come back.

Might give a guy a complex. Something like a really strong desire to please Mom so she'll stick around... especially after dad dies.

Would definitely be traumatic. No way around that.
Interesting. And remember, this was still during the height of the Depression, when most other people were living pretty modest lives. It seems pretty hard to get it all to add up and make decent sense. But at the very least it seems fair to say that Stella was an aspiring social butterfly, who always had access to enough money that she didn’t need to worry about finances, and hated to be bothered with such trivial and mundane things as budgets.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

endlessismyname wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:03 pm Okay, here's a good find, at least in terms of verifying some things:

This link proves that Stella was indeed at Columbia in 1941. This was when she first enrolled... pre-nervous breakdown.
No one that went to Columbia could ever be liberal or communist.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

First Christmas Devotional story?

A train story! :lol: ;)

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

JuneBug12000 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:14 pm First Christmas Devotional story?

A train story! :lol: ;)
:D :D :D