Another disturbing sexual abuse case

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Another disturbing sexual abuse case

Post by Mamabear »

He was convicted in 2003 in Utah of lewdness with a child and sexual abuse of a disabled woman. Then he moves and years later he is a EQ president committing more sexual abuse with a child. I’m sure the untold story is that the church tried to hide it.
Disgusting.

https://www.fox9.com/news/former-mormon ... -minnesota

Edit: watch the video in the link. It has lots more details than the article.
Last edited by Mamabear on November 30th, 2022, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Re: Another disturbing sexual abuse case

Post by Wolfwoman »

Oh man. I could tell he was homosexual just by looking at his picture.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Inside an LDS church building is the best place for predators. Full of trusting, naïve, gullible people who gladly and willingly hand their children over to complete strangers without a second thought.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

EmmaLee wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:47 am Inside an LDS church building is the best place for predators. Full of trusting, naïve, gullible people who gladly and willingly hand their children over to complete strangers without a second thought.
I don't think it's just LDS church buildings. Many churches, Catholic and Protestant, have the same issues.
But we need to keep in mind that it's not the fault of the churches, it's the predators who are to blame.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Robin Hood wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:40 pm
EmmaLee wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:47 am Inside an LDS church building is the best place for predators. Full of trusting, naïve, gullible people who gladly and willingly hand their children over to complete strangers without a second thought.
I don't think it's just LDS church buildings. Many churches, Catholic and Protestant, have the same issues.
But we need to keep in mind that it's not the fault of the churches, it's the predators who are to blame.
Yes, many churches have similar issues, but this thread is about the abuse in the LDS Church, not other churches. And yes, the predator is to blame, but the church in some instances - LIKE THIS ONE - is also to blame by their lax attitudes and blinders. The Church's 'hotline' for abuse, anyone?? Seems there were some pretty long threads about that grotesque way the Church has of NOT handling abuse properly.

Also, the rampant fraud in Utah, for example, goes a long way in showing just how trusting, naïve, and gullible Mormons especially are. Which is understandable, given what we're taught from Nursery onward. LDS people, weekly, shoot their arms up in the air to sustain total strangers - to give them their support and 'go ahead' with easy access to babies and children and youth. This man was a known pedophile, yet was put into the calling of EQ president. WTH.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

EmmaLee wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:54 pm
Yes, many churches have similar issues, but this thread is about the abuse in the LDS Church, not other churches. And yes, the predator is to blame, but the church in some instances - LIKE THIS ONE - is also to blame by their lax attitudes and blinders. The Church's 'hotline' for abuse, anyone?? Seems there were some pretty long threads about that grotesque way the Church has of NOT handling abuse properly.

Also, the rampant fraud in Utah, for example, goes a long way in showing just how trusting, naïve, and gullible Mormons especially are. Which is understandable, given what we're taught from Nursery onward. LDS people, weekly, shoot their arms up in the air to sustain total strangers - to give them their support and 'go ahead' with easy access to babies and children and youth. This man was a known pedophile, yet was put into the calling of EQ president. WTH.
I can only speak from experience.
When we had a paedophile in our congregation I contacted the UK Church HQ and they were on it like a ton of bricks. I ejected him from the building and if he ever turns up at another ward the annotation from HQ will flag up straightaway and the Bishop will likewise turf him out.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

Hello Church Abuse Hotline, can you hold for 4 years?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I read the following account this morning on Reddit. This could be a case of he-said-she-said, but I tend to side with this girl:

"I joined the church a year ago on January 9th. I do truly believe it is the true church. I felt as if I was led to the church after attending all the other churches in my town. It took me years but I finally did it. But now, I feel like I’m going downhill.

I joined the church after meeting a family who were members. After about 2 years of reading scriptures, asking questions, and so much other stuff, I joined. But October of last year, I was raped by a person in the family. It broke me. And I know. The church is perfect, the people aren’t. But that hurt. There was another sexual assault with two different people in the same branch as well. The president called me in the other day and said he wanted to talk. He asked if I needed to repent for the day was raped. Asked if it was all on the guy. That hurt so bad. I feel as if everyone is taking his word over mine (he’s saying I wanted it, even though I have video proof of him agreeing that I said no and told him to get off of me but he didn’t care. He said. He. Didn’t. Care. ) i feel like he’s more than I am to the members because they have known him longer and he’s trying to go on a mission. I can’t even walk into the church building without breaking out in tears. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t been to church in weeks. I l live in a state with bad winters, so driving to the nearest one (almost an hour away,) isn’t really an option. But the people here I feel are taking his side and now avoiding me. I hurt so bad. I don’t understand anymore. I have no want to go to church. I find it hard to even think about it or read scriptures/ meet with the missionaries because he was the main person I did that kind of stuff with and the memories just flood in and I removed everything that happened. His case isn’t till the end of the month. His mother bailed him out and cut contact with me and made the rest of the family so as well, which is another thing that hurts. I went to their house almost every Sunday to hang out and it’s like I got that ripped away as well.

Long story short, I hurt. I don’t want to go to church. I’m scared I’ll never go back and I’ll lose my testimony that I worked so hard for. So many years went into it.

Sorry this was so long. Kinda been bottling it up and just dumped it out on here lol. Thank you loves."

————

What is wrong with church leaders?

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Question: What is wrong with church leaders? Answer: A lot.

Just one example. They will believe a narcissist sociopath over a years of proof that he was physically/sexually abusing his wife and family because…priesthood.

This story on Reddit is sad on so many levels because it sounds like she is now in a state of cognitive dissonance. And the more she tries to put the institution first and try to cover up her feelings of hurt and betrayal she will struggle…probably be told to go on psychotropic drugs too…

Jesus. Jesus is the answer, not the institution.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am He asked if I needed to repent for the day was raped.
Makes about as much sense as:

Do you need to repent for the day you were hit by the drunk driver?

Do you need to repent for the day you were stabbed?

Do you need to repent for the day you were beat up by your boyfriend?

What an idiot leader!! :x

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

HereWeGo wrote: January 6th, 2023, 11:08 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am He asked if I needed to repent for the day was raped.
Makes about as much sense as:

Do you need to repent for the day you were hit by the drunk driver?

Do you need to repent for the day you were stabbed?

Do you need to repent for the day you were beat up by your boyfriend?

What an idiot leader!! :x
I've heard multiple stories just like this. Several from friends. "What did YOU do wrong?" SMH

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

I have been cast out of Churchs, yes been assaulted, threatened with death, arrested, imprisoned for my faith, hence feel keenly for any man that is forbidden entrance to a place of worship.

Sometimes churchs can be breeding grounds for self righteousness, more so when said churchs gain influence, wealth and learning, they begin to dress so finely for worship and expect all to do the same or they are classed as sinners.
Woe betide the ex convict or convicted criminal to appear in their midst, or the prostitute, yes even the very poor are barely tolerated, if they must attend, sit at the back and be silent...........

Pissed Up Pete was the town drunk, he was in and out the Jail constantly, he was accused and blamed for every evil in the town...............
I was in a Church meeting one sunday, the place was packed, the service began, into the meeting came Pete, immediatly the Church leader arose went up to Pete and threw him out..........
Since I had experienced such in my life, my heart went out to Pete, so I left the meeting and spoke to Pete, apologising for what that Church leader had done, I told Pete that the leader was wrong and that Jesus would never turn any man away, but Pete whom was sober was greatly grieved at being treated so unkindly by religious men.........
Up came the Church leader and so I turned to him and told him he had done wrong, for no man should be prevented from coming to a public place of worship.
The Church leader smugly replied, "I have a right to protect the women and children in my church, besides I am a former police officer, I know what I am doing"
As he finished speaking a solemn but peacefull spirit fell apon me and I found myself saying,

I say unto you in the name of Jesus,
"Three times Seven days shall not pass away and what you have done to Pete shall be done unto you, for you will be cast out of your very own church"

The Church leader called me a false Prophet and walked away.................

A couple of weeks later I attended the Church, as the service started another Church leader arose and addressed the congregation, he said..

"Whilst I was away I was told that some of the members were upset at the manner Pete was treated, let me assure you that while I preside over these meetings no man will be turned away, all are wellcome.
Regards the Church leader that put Pete out of the Church, we have had to release him for it was discovered that he was having an affair with a member of the congregation, and so he has been excommunicated and is no longer with us...........End

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am Long story short, I hurt. I don’t want to go to church. I’m scared I’ll never go back and I’ll lose my testimony that I worked so hard for. So many years went into it.
This is sadly what happens when one’s foundation is built on anything other than Jesus Christ. When people build their testimony on men or an institution, it will crumble, because they will inevitably be let down.

But Jesus Christ will never let you down.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am I read the following account this morning on Reddit. This could be a case of he-said-she-said, but I tend to side with this girl:

"I joined the church a year ago on January 9th. I do truly believe it is the true church. I felt as if I was led to the church after attending all the other churches in my town. It took me years but I finally did it. But now, I feel like I’m going downhill.

I joined the church after meeting a family who were members. After about 2 years of reading scriptures, asking questions, and so much other stuff, I joined. But October of last year, I was raped by a person in the family. It broke me. And I know. The church is perfect, the people aren’t. But that hurt. There was another sexual assault with two different people in the same branch as well. The president called me in the other day and said he wanted to talk. He asked if I needed to repent for the day was raped. Asked if it was all on the guy. That hurt so bad. I feel as if everyone is taking his word over mine (he’s saying I wanted it, even though I have video proof of him agreeing that I said no and told him to get off of me but he didn’t care. He said. He. Didn’t. Care. ) i feel like he’s more than I am to the members because they have known him longer and he’s trying to go on a mission. I can’t even walk into the church building without breaking out in tears. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t been to church in weeks. I l live in a state with bad winters, so driving to the nearest one (almost an hour away,) isn’t really an option. But the people here I feel are taking his side and now avoiding me. I hurt so bad. I don’t understand anymore. I have no want to go to church. I find it hard to even think about it or read scriptures/ meet with the missionaries because he was the main person I did that kind of stuff with and the memories just flood in and I removed everything that happened. His case isn’t till the end of the month. His mother bailed him out and cut contact with me and made the rest of the family so as well, which is another thing that hurts. I went to their house almost every Sunday to hang out and it’s like I got that ripped away as well.

Long story short, I hurt. I don’t want to go to church. I’m scared I’ll never go back and I’ll lose my testimony that I worked so hard for. So many years went into it.

Sorry this was so long. Kinda been bottling it up and just dumped it out on here lol. Thank you loves."

————

What is wrong with this woman... why hasn't she gone to the police with her evidence?
There is clearly more to this than meets the eye.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:32 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am I read the following account this morning on Reddit. This could be a case of he-said-she-said, but I tend to side with this girl:

————

What is wrong with this woman... why hasn't she gone to the police with her evidence?
I agree, she should have (should) gone to the police. But I’ve read many, many examples about how girls are conditioned to confess to or talk w/ their bishop. That’s the kind of culture you create when you have bishops asking about the sexual activities of minors. “So, how’s the masturbation cessation going?” “Are you still having sex with so-and-so?” “Any additional sins you haven’t confessed?”

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Gee, I remember being called on a mission. I was in the MTC in SLC at the time (now the new center). A GA came in and spent quite a while talking about all kinds of ways we could have gotten into sexual sin and not recognized it. He made everyone uncomfortable. He asked me if I was guilty. I said "no". Seems it was a fair question as several others repented and were cleansed and free from then on to serve their missions.

this story seems one sided. Perhaps the leaders were harsh? Perhaps her feelings were too tender. But to be asked seems fair game. to tell the leaders simply hell no, is also fair game. I personally don't know anyone who has been raped or child molested, but I know 3 that have been accused and had their life's tarnished. In my family, a divorced family member had their spouse accuse them of many transgressions that were not committed. Is is wrong to clear the air? Seems cleansing for the soul. Of course only if it truly is done in love.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm

————

I agree, she should have (should) gone to the police. But I’ve read many, many examples about how girls are conditioned to confess to or talk w/ their bishop. That’s the kind of culture you create when you have bishops asking about the sexual activities of minors. “So, how’s the masturbation cessation going?” “Are you still having sex with so-and-so?” “Any additional sins you haven’t confessed?”
But she's only been in the church for a year, so church culture can't be the reason.
I suspect there is more to this story than she's letting on.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:53 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm

————

But she's only been in the church for a year, so church culture can't be the reason.
I get that. I’m just saying in general, youth in the church are encouraged to talk w/ their bishop about a myriad of things.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

You know, after reading the story again, maybe she did go to the police and someone (the family most likely) told the church leaders. Sounds like the YM was claiming consensual when it was not.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Luke wrote: January 6th, 2023, 11:49 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am Long story short, I hurt. I don’t want to go to church. I’m scared I’ll never go back and I’ll lose my testimony that I worked so hard for. So many years went into it.
This is sadly what happens when one’s foundation is built on anything other than Jesus Christ. When people build their testimony on men or an institution, it will crumble, because they will inevitably be let down.

But Jesus Christ will never let you down.
I believe this is why we should have no other gods/priorities before God, & how few are chosen by God because few choose God over praises of men.

The truth is always there that only God can be trusted. But many members will never have their eyes opened to that, unless some type of pain awakens them.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:45 am…What is wrong with church leaders?
How do you know she didn’t?
And maybe she was scared to. I think most don’t report it, I didn’t… partly shock like “did that really happen?!??”

…partly others gaslighting like “what did you do to make him rape you? What’s wrong with you?” It makes some question themselves.

…And frankly who wants to go through all the reliving it over & over to police, lawyers, judges etc? Then there may also be the rapists has high connections that will make you pay even more for reporting it.

Yet, if it’s not reported, it’s likely it will happen to others, so I regret not reporting it.

It IS church culture to shift blame. Eg., My husband has been emotionally & at times physically abusive & I have evidence he cheated with 2 different women… yet when I told my sister she blamed me for not going to the freema$$onry temples. Obviously it takes 2 to tango & I have my faults too, but his faults are not my responsibility, yet she & my mom blamed me & took his side, mainly because they’re all more cultish/Mormon than I am.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Robin Hood wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:59 pm
EmmaLee wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:54 pm

I can only speak from experience.
When we had a paedophile in our congregation I contacted the UK Church HQ and they were on it like a ton of bricks. I ejected him from the building and if he ever turns up at another ward the annotation from HQ will flag up straightaway and the Bishop will likewise turf him out.
I would point out that this man was completely unrepentant and said he was innocent... even though he had been convicted on two seperate occasions and served two prison sentences.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Robin Hood wrote: January 6th, 2023, 2:08 pm I would point out that this man was completely unrepentant and said he was innocent... even though he had been convicted on two seperate occasions and served two prison sentences.
As a prison counselor I learned that approximately 3.7% former sex offenders are honest about their convictions. I recommend that no one trust someone who is a former sex offender even if they appear repentant and forthcoming. It is not worth the risk and it will not hurt them to never be in a position of power or influence which is too much of a temptation to abuse for them.
This is also true of people convicted of DV, though their percent is a little higher, so you can pretty much assume that you will be lied to.
Do not trust them enough to give them any power over potential victims, period.

Vernet
captain of 10

Post by Vernet »

Yeah, I have been inspired to call you as Elder Quorum President... This has all kinds of issues for The LDS Church. First of all, he looks off to me, not right at all.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: January 6th, 2023, 12:53 pm But she's only been in the church for a year, so church culture can't be the reason.
I don't know how it is in England, but often-in the United States-when a woman reports a rape, she is treated like a criminal in court. They go to almost any lengths to prove she "asked for it" or consented in some way. It has been that way ever since I was little (and maybe even before I was born). I was told a few months ago that it has not changed.

It's such a hellish nightmare that many women won't report it.