We make the covenant before we are baptized.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
wengs42
captain of 10

We make the covenant before we are baptized.

Post by wengs42 »

If you have heard of Todd Mclaughlin. he is on the youtube channel Thoughtful Faith. and on his theology talk he discusses this topic.

He speaks of how when we repent (before baptism) we receive a remission of our sins, and it is then that we make the covenant with god. and when we have repented and make that covenant then we are baptized to show we have made out covenant. then when we receive the holy ghost then we truly receive a remission of our sins.

What are you guys thoughts? id love if you all watched this video or all them. to discuss all topics related to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBRtq-Gb-9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7BH6vqQf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8w_edDjTY

CaptainM
captain of 100

Re: We make the covenant before we are baptized.

Post by CaptainM »

This may also help.

https://onewhoiswatching.wordpress.com/ ... ntability/

In Christ. Best wishes...
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 12.29.12 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 12.29.12 PM.jpg (739.38 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

wengs42 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 6:34 pm
What are you guys thoughts?
I was 19 when I was baptized and boy I had done some sinning up to that point.
This is what happened to me.
I read and accepted the BOM, took the missionary discussions and accepted that my Southern Baptist baptism was of no effect and when it happened I HAD FELT NOTHING.
However, when I was baptized into this church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints-to be clear) I did feel something.
When I came up out of the water I had this intense feeling of having every bad thing removed from my body and soul, I really felt clean in a way I can't completely describe, it was a real feeling.
Later that same day I received the gift of the Holy Ghost. That experience was so profound that it literally put me on the floor and I could not move for several hours. This was my experience and I know it is not common. It has not again been so intense, but I have felt it many times at a lesser intensity.
I think that the baptismal covenant is complete, between us and the Lord, after we emerge from the water.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

The Spirit of God the Spirit of Knowledge
The world always mistook false prophets for true ones, and those that were sent of God, they considered to be false prophets and hence they killed, stoned, punished and imprisoned the true prophets, and these had to hide themselves "in deserts and dens, and caves of the earth," and though the most honorable men of the earth, they banished them from their society as vagabonds, whilst they cherished, honored and supported knaves, vagabonds, hypocrites, impostors, and the basest of men...

The Gift of Discernment of Spirits
A man must have the discerning of spirits, as we before stated, to understand these things, and how is he to obtain this gift if there are no gifts of the Spirit? ...

The Two Comforters
There are two Comforters spoken of. One is the Holy Ghost, the same as given on the day of Pentecost, and that all Saints receive after faith, repentance, and baptism. This first Comforter or Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure intelligence. It is more powerful in expanding the mind, enlightening the understanding, and storing the intellect with present knowledge, of a man ...

False Spirits in the Church
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has also had its false spirits; and as it is made up of all those different sects professing every variety of opinion, and having been under the influence of so many kinds of spirits, it is not to be wondered at if there should be found among us false spirits.

Soon after the Gospel was established in Kirtland, and during the absence of the authorities of the Church, many false spirits were introduced, many strange visions were seen, and wild, enthusiastic notions were entertained; men ran out of doors under the influence of this spirit, and some of them got upon the stumps of trees and shouted, and all kinds of extravagances were entered into by them; one man pursued a ball that he said he saw flying in the air, until he came to a precipice, when he jumped into the top of a tree, which saved his life; and many ridiculous things were entered into, calculated to bring disgrace upon the Church of God, to cause the Spirit of God to be withdrawn, and to uproot and destroy those glorious principles which had been developed for the salvation of the human family.... (Joseph, Smith. DHC 4:570-587)