The rise, revelation, and symbols of the Nauvoo Temple

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

The rise, revelation, and symbols of the Nauvoo Temple

Post by kirtland r.m. »

First, how about starting out with Heber C. Kimball. He prophesied that the Saints’ stay in Nauvoo would be short-lived, which caused Sidney Rigdon, who knew of Heber’s prophetic gifts, to grieve. As a few church leaders first looked upon the area that would become Nauvoo, he said "It's a very pretty place, but not long abiding home for the saints." Many of the saints were troubled when word got back to them of what he had said, Sidney Rigdon included, for they knew of Heber's gift from the Lord. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, 257.

Additionally, here is a great pre Nauvoo quote. "On one occasion," says Heber, "Father John Young, Brigham Young, Joseph Young and myself had come together to get up some wood for Phineas H. Young. While we were thus engaged we were pondering upon those things which had been told us by the Elders, and upon the saints gathering to Zion, when the glory of God shone upon us, and we saw the gathering of the saints to Zion, and the glory that would rest upon them; and many more things connected with that great event, such as the sufferings and persecutions that would come upon the people of God, and the calamities and judgments that would come upon the world.

"These things caused such great joy to spring up in our bosoms that we were hardly able to contain ourselves, and we did shout aloud 'Hosannah to God and the Lamb.'"

This heavenly vision, vouchsafed as the reward of faith and pure desires, only made them eager to know more of the "marvelous work and wonder" which the God of Israel had set His hand to perform, in fulfillment of the words of His ancient prophets. The Holy Ghost had fallen upon them, as on Cornelius of old, before baptism. They had plucked from the Tree of Life, from branches overhanging the wall, luscious fruit, whose sweetness and flavor made them long to enter the garden and more fully satisfy the desire of their souls. Life of Heber C. Kimball. by Orson F. Whitney P. 35

As the saints began to build the Nauvoo Temple, sections of it where dedicated in waves. As each section of the building was completed, it became the practice of Church leaders to dedicate that portion of the temple to God and then to press it into service. Such a procedure was justified under the peculiar circumstances of the time. https://rsc.byu.edu/nauvoo-temple-story ... ion-temple

More in coming days, happy Thanksgiving to all.
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on November 25th, 2022, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The rise and revelation of the Nauvoo Temple

Post by kirtland r.m. »

While the Saints sojourned in Nauvoo they witnessed a flowering of theology. They listened to their prophet leader elaborate upon doctrinal themes that had been only touched upon earlier. As they read the Times and Seasons, they tasted of a more fully developed theology than they had known in Ohio or Missouri. As they built the temple and participated in its sacred ordinances, they received power, knowledge, and blessings unknown in earlier years. The doctrinal developments in Nauvoo created an enduring legacy for the Church in the future.https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/man ... y?lang=eng

On the night of March 15, 1846, a man by the name of Chester Loveland was woken by his mother-in-law raising the alarm that the temple was on fire. 

It's important to note that just over a month before, the Nauvoo Temple roof had actually caught fire from an overheated stove pipe, and so there probably was a double sense of alarm to see flames devouring the temple once again. 

Loveland dressed quickly and ran outside to see that the temple was again ablaze. However, "He studied it for a few seconds and realized the flames were not consuming the temple. He also didn’t see anyone else running to the rescue and concluded it was the glory of God. He returned to bed" (David R. Crockett, The Nauvoo Temple: “A Monument of the Saints”, pg. 11–12). 

And Loveland and his mother-in-law were not the only ones to notice the flames surrounding the temple. 

According to The Nauvoo Temple: “A Monument of the Saints,” another man saw the belfry appear to be on fire at around 9:45 p.m., but when he reached the temple, it was unharmed, dark, and secure. 

The same night of these sightings, a small group of members was gathered inside the temple for a sacrament meeting that lasted until midnight. According to The Nauvoo Temple: “A Monument of the Saints,” they were "overcome with the Spirit" and many spoke in tongues, prophesied, saw visions, and two heavenly beings were reported being seen in the corner of the room. 

Though the Nauvoo Temple later did catch fire after the Saints left Nauvoo, that spiritual night of divine manifestations was one that would be treasured by many. 

And though the Kirtland Temple was also left behind as the Church experienced severe persecutions, both of these temples have a sacredness and legacy that are evident in the blessings and spiritual manifestations that occurred in the days the Saints worked to build them. https://www.ldsliving.com/when-the-kirt ... re/s/86126

Such experiences had also occurred at the Kirtland Temple earlier. Here is a little information given from the time of the Kirtland Temple dedication.The congregation ended the seven-hour service by standing and giving the sacred Hosanna Shout. Sister Eliza R. Snow said that it was given “with such power as seemed almost sufficient to raise the roof from the building.”

That evening more than 400 priesthood bearers again met in the temple, and while Elder George A. Smith was speaking, “a noise was heard like the sound of a rushing mighty wind, which filled the Temple, and all the congregation simultaneously arose, being moved upon by an invisible power.” Many members began to speak in tongues and to prophesy. Others saw glorious visions, including angels filling the temple.

People living nearby heard the sound, too, and ran to see what was happening. As they approached, they beheld a pillar of fire resting upon the temple, saw angels hovering over the temple, and heard heavenly singing.

Many other spiritual manifestations took place in the temple that year. Prescindia Huntington described how a little girl came to her door during one meeting and called out in excitement, “The meeting is on top of the meeting house!” Prescindia looked outside and saw angels walking back and forth on the temple. Many children in Kirtland saw the angels and remembered that glorious sight the rest of their lives.https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The rise, revelation, and symbols of the Nauvoo Temple

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Symbols Shown By Vision

The symbols located on the exterior of the Nauvoo Temple can be directly connected with a vision shown to the Prophet Joseph Smith.

In a revelation given on 19 January 1841 (which is about the Nauvoo Temple) the Lord Jesus Christ stated: "I will show unto my servant Joseph all things pertaining to this house" (D&C 124:42; emphasis added).

Joseph Smith later confirmed to the temple's chief architect, William Weeks, "I have seen in vision the splendid appearance of that building." The Prophet insisted that it be built according to the "pattern" that he had been shown.[2]

The Prophet was once asked by a stone carver, with regard to one of the sunstones he was working on, - "Is this like the face you saw in vision?" To which the reply was, "Very near it".[3]https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... /Symbolism

Here is more, this is earlier in Kirtland. The Kirtland Temple Seen in Vision by others, and Joseph Smith’s vision of the temple

On June 1, 1833 the Lord instructed the Prophet Joseph Smith that he would reveal the design of the Kirtland Temple to him when he made the following statement:

Therefore, let it [the temple] be built after the manner which I shall show unto three of you, whom ye shall appoint and ordain unto this power. And the size thereof shall be fifty and five feet in width, and let it be sixty-five feet in length, in the inner court thereof. And let the lower part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for your sacrament offering, and for your preaching, and your fasting, and your praying, and the offering up of your most holy desires unto me, saith your Lord. And let the higher part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord. Amen. (D&C 95:14-17)

Frederick G. Williams 1787-1842

During the week following the June 1, 1833 revelation, Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams, who together constituted the presidency of the high priesthood (later known as the First Presidency), were appointed as a committee to whom God would show how the temple was to be built. These three men recorded that shortly after receiving this appointment at a council two days later, they knelt in collective prayer and had a vision in which they viewed the exterior and interior elements of the temple. This vision allowed them to draw architectural plans for the House of the Lord.

After viewing the exterior in detail, “the building seemed to come right over [them]” and they saw the interior of the building as if they were actually inside of it. 1

Frederick G. Williams recalled:

“We went upon our knees,” he remembered, “called on the Lord, and the Building appeared within viewing distance: I being the first to discover it. Then all of us viewed it together. After we had taken a good look at the exterior, the building seemed to come right over us.” 2

Some favored constructing the temple of logs or lumber, but the Prophet responded: “I have a better plan than that. I have a plan of the house of the Lord, given by himself.” 3

Later, when the temple was nearing completion, Frederick G. Williams said that it looked like the model he had seen in vision to the smallest detail and that he could not tell the difference. The building, he said, “seemed to coincide with that I there saw to a minutia.” 4viewtopic.php?p=933094#p933094

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Even though the exterior symbols on the pilasters of the Nauvoo Temple are the sun, moon, and stars it should be understood that they are not arranged in the sequence that is associated with the three degrees of glory (i.e., star on bottom = telestial kingdom; moon in the middle = terrestrial kingdom; sun on top = celestial kingdom). Rather, the sequence on the Nauvoo Temple is moon (bottom); sun (middle); star (top). The physical arrangement of the symbols on the outside of the Nauvoo Temple indicate that they do NOT represent the three degrees of glory.

These symbolic images can be matched up with information provided in the Joseph Smith Translation of the 12th chapter of the book of Revelation. There it is said of a vision that was shown to the ancient apostle John, "And there appeared a great sign in heaven, in the likeness of things on the earth; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars" (vs. 1). Thus, the moon is placed at the bottom, the sun in the middle, and the stars on top. In verse 7 of the same chapter the Prophet clarifies that "the woman . . . was the church of God."

Wandle Mace—the foreman for all of the framework done on the Nauvoo Temple—left behind a statement that makes a clear connection between the visions of John the Revelator and Joseph Smith. He said,

The order of architecture [on the Nauvoo Temple] was unlike anything in existence; it was purely original; being a representation of the Church, the Bride, the Lamb's wife. John the Revelator, in the 12[th] chapter [and] first verse of [the book of Revelation] says, 'And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars.' This is portrayed in the beautifully cut stone of this grand temple.[4]

Thus, the symbols on the outside of the Nauvoo Temple are a representation of the Church of God. And since the symbols are displayed in a heavenly setting they can naturally be associated with the Lord's heavenly Church, or what is sometimes referred to as The Church of the Firstborn. The Encyclopedia of Mormonism indicates that "the Church of the Firstborn is Christ's heavenly Church, and its members are exalted beings."[5]This is significant because on 4 May 1842 Joseph Smith gave the Nauvoo-era temple endowment for the first time to several of the Saints. The Prophet said that these ordinances consisted of "washings, anointings, endowments and the communication of keys pertaining to the Aaronic Priesthood, and so on to the highest order of the Melchisedek Priesthood, setting forth the order pertaining to the Ancient of Days, and all those plans and principles by which anyone is enabled to secure the fullness of those blessings which have been prepared for the Church of the Firstborn."[6] Therefore, it appears that the Lord had symbols placed on the outside of the Nauvoo Temple that represented the nature of the ordinances that were to take place inside of that building.These symbolic images can be matched up ... /Symbolism

Thus, the symbols on the outside of the Nauvoo Temple are a representation of the Church of God. And since the symbols are displayed in a heavenly setting they can naturally be associated with the Lord's heavenly Church, or what is sometimes referred to as The Church of the Firstborn. The Encyclopedia of Mormonism indicates that "the Church of the Firstborn is Christ's heavenly Church, and its members are exalted beings."[5]This is significant because on 4 May 1842 Joseph Smith gave the Nauvoo-era temple endowment for the first time to several of the Saints. The Prophet said that these ordinances consisted of "washings, anointings, endowments and the communication of keys pertaining to the Aaronic Priesthood, and so on to the highest order of the Melchisedek Priesthood, setting forth the order pertaining to the Ancient of Days, and all those plans and principles by which anyone is enabled to secure the fullness of those blessings which have been prepared for the Church of the Firstborn."[6] Therefore, it appears that the Lord had symbols placed on the outside of the Nauvoo Temple that represented the nature of the ordinances that were to take place inside of that building. https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... /Symbolism

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Satan and the occult strive to desecrate holy symbols. Seems I have heard some examples of this before. I have been told that Satan even mocks the Lord's Priesthoods, claiming that he has his own. Inverted stars,(pentagrams) and by the way, this ancient symbol was used as a seal for Jerusalem twenty four hundred years ago, can be seen on some latter day Temples. It is very interesting that In the last half of the nineteenth century, just after they began to appear on latter day Temples, Satan, opportunist that he is, began to use them via some of his servants including Allister Crawley, as symbols of evil, thus mocking the newly built Temples.
This has not been lost on latter day enemies of the church, who strive to lead away the Lord's sheep, or anyone else who will listen to them. Yes, they are being told some facts by our informed members about this wrong headed approach to symbolism on the Salt Lake Temple as they gather outside of Temple Square, striving to mislead the saints. I hope they will listen to our members and quit teaching this false doctrine. True knowledge is power. Hope you enjoy this from the Joseph Smith Foundation on this subject.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjWD6P7ZA0
Here is more from another source.
Latter-day saints are often accused of Satanic worship because the Logan, Salt Lake and Nauvoo temples feature inverted pentagrams on the exterior surface. There are 40 are the Salt Lake Temple alone! Each of the circular windows surrounding the Nauvoo Temple depict an inverted pentagram surrounded by three stones at each of the four cardinal directions. Why would Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration, place an inverted pentagram on one of the most important early temples?http://ldsanswers.org/why-are-inverted- ... n-temples/

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Additional information

"A common theme in medieval art was the five wounds of Christ, traditionally the holes of the nails in the Savior's hands and feet and the cut of the spear through his side and into his heart. . . . In the Middle Ages, the five wounds were symbolized in church decoration as a five-pointed star. This symbol is still used in temples today, including windows of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple" (pg. 125)See link below..

"Other elements of temple worship are related to the number five: During the endowment we actually or symbolically visit five rooms, make five covenants, receive a charge composed of five elements, and put on five articles of temple clothing, tie five bows on our clothing (symbols of connection), and witness five visits of heavenly messengers to our first parents and their posterity. Surely this is not the result of chance; all of these (and more) point to the Savior as the 'well of living water' (D&C 63:23) and the 'fount of every blessing" (pg. 126).

Six pointed stars on Temples and more can be read about in 5 Types of Stars You'll Find on LDS Temples (+ The Fascinating Meaning Behind Them)https://www.ldsliving.com/5-types-of-st ... em/s/86110

Coming up next, restored doctrines(including Temple information) at Nauvoo.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Elizabeth Brotherton Pratt

“After my father and our family apostatized and went away, I felt very sorrowful. One evening when going to bed I was feeling cast down, and my sister who had been dead for a number of years, came to me, called me by name and said “Be comforted, you are all right; you have a work to do for me.”

“I wished to inquire what she meant, but she was gone. In two days after this the Prophet preached on the baptism for the dead.

“As soon as the font was ready, I officiated for my sister as she had requested.” (https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -gone.html)

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Brigitte and Carla met in the third grade in Europe. Carla had just been baptized and wanted everyone to know she was a member of the “only true church.” Some of Carla’s classmates made fun of her for saying this, but Brigitte became her friend.

Brigitte’s family was active in their own church, but they were respectful of other religions. Brigitte even went to Church activities with Carla a few times. Brigitte and Carla remained friends all through their school years. Then, at seventeen years of age, Brigitte died.

Two months later Carla awoke in the night to see Brigitte standing at the foot of her bed. She did not speak, and Carla wondered why she had appeared to her. The following year Brigitte visited Carla again, and she came a third time the next year.

Carla later moved to the United States and was married in the Salt Lake Temple. After Carla had been through the temple, Brigitte appeared to her more often. Then, a week before Carla and her husband were planning to go to the temple again, Brigitte appeared to Carla three nights in a row.

On the third night Carla woke her husband and told him about Brigitte’s visits. They both felt Brigitte had been taught the gospel plan in the spirit world and had accepted it. Now she wanted to be baptized. Carla and her husband prayed and asked the Lord how to obtain the necessary records. They were inspired to contact a researcher and were able to get Brigitte’s death certificate. Carla was now able to send in Brigitte’s name to the temple so her temple work, including baptism, could be done.

A few weeks later Carla again awoke to see Brigitte. This time Brigitte was dressed in a white gown and was standing in a place that looked like a baptismal room. The next morning Carla received a letter from the temple telling her that the baptism for Brigitte had been done. (See Carla Sansom, “From Beyond the Veil,” Ensign, Feb. 1978, pp. 49–50.)

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Did you know about this going on at the time of the organization of the church?
Screenshot 2022-11-25 074706.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-25 074706.jpg (174.12 KiB) Viewed 285 times

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Recent scholarly developments may help us understand further these three stages seen by Nephi. A volume of Gnostic writings from early Christianity, newly translated by Bentley Layton, was published in 1987 by Doubleday. It gives many texts analyzed several years ago by Hugh Nibley in The World and the Prophets and Since Cumorah, showing ways in which early Christian doctrines changed under the influences of Hellenistic philosophy and mystic religion.1 Today there is considerable evidence that secret and sacred covenants of early Christianity were lost early. Baptism for the dead, the use of prayer circles, and the sacrament itself underwent transformation, if not elimination. Similarly, asceticism and celibacy entered Christianity at an early stage to distort the meaning of the covenant of marriage and many passages in the Bible.John W. Welch, "The Plain and Precious Parts," in Reexploring the Book of Mormon, edited by John W. Welch (Provo, Utah: FARMS, 1992)

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Historical records are clear on the matter. Baptism for the dead was performed by the dominant church until forbidden by the sixth canon of the Council of Carthage in A.D. 397. Some of the smaller sects, however, continued the practice. Of the [Cerinthus][2] of the fourth century, Epiphanius wrote: "In this country—I mean Asia—and even in Galatia, their school flourished eminently and a traditional fact concerning them has reached us, that when any of them had died without baptism, they used to baptize others in their name, lest in the resurrection they should suffer punishment as unbaptized.” (Heresies, 8:7.) [3]About 400 A.D., church Councils saw baptism for the dead being practiced, and outlawed it

"That baptism for the dead was indeed practiced in some orthodox Christian circles is indicated by the decisions of two late fourth-century councils. The fourth canon (fifth in some lists) of the Synod of Hippo, held in 393, declares 'the Eucharist shall not be given to dead bodies...nor baptism conferred upon them.' The ruling was confirmed four years later in the sixth canon of the Third Council of Carthage."[4]

"It also seemed good that the Eucharist should not be given to the bodies of the dead. For it is written: 'Take, Eat', but the bodies of the dead can neither 'take' nor 'eat'. Nor let the ignorance of the presbyters baptize those who are dead."[5}

Joseph Smith
No major religions in Joseph Smith's day believed in this doctrine. It is highly unlikely that Joseph Smith would have known that the Early Church practiced this. Even if he did read Corinthians and invented this belief from scratch, how did he come up with such a logical reason for its use?
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/evi ... r_The_Dead

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Additional information relating to the Kirtland Temple. Elder Heber C. Kimball recorded an appearance of John in the Kirtland Temple:

“When the Prophet Joseph had finished the endowments(earlier endowment, not all that would be given at Nauvoo) of the First Presidency, the Twelve, and the Presiding Bishops, the First Presidency proceeded to lay hands upon each of them to seal and confirm the anointing; and at the close of each blessing the whole of the quorums responded to it with a loud shout of Hosanna! Hosanna! etc.

While these things were being attended to the beloved disciple John was seen in our midst by the Prophet Joseph, Oliver Cowdery, and others.” (In Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kiimball, pp. 91-92.)

According to John Whitmer’s account of a conference of the Church on June 3, 1831, in Kirtland, Ohio, “the Spirit of the Lord fell upon Joseph [Smith] in an unusual manner, and he prophesied that John the Revelator was then among the Ten Tribes of Israel who had been led away … , to prepare them for their return from their long dispersion” (in History of the Church, 1:176).

mple

The story of the building, preparation, and dedication of the Kirtland Temple is so spiritually rich and filled with visions that I quote below the entire section of the chapter in the Institute manual – ‘Church History in the Fulness of Times’.
A Pentecostal Season

In addition to their great personal efforts, the Saints spent from forty to sixty thousand dollars on the temple. Because they were so willing to sacrifice in building the temple, the Lord poured out great blessings upon them. From 21 January to 1 May 1836 probably more Latter-day Saints beheld visions and witnessed other unusual spiritual manifestations than during any other era in the history of the Church. Members of the Church saw heavenly messengers in at least ten different meetings, and at five of these gatherings different individuals testified that they had beheld the Savior himself. Many experienced visions, some prophesied, and others spoke in tongues.

One of the most important meetings held in the Kirtland Temple was on Thursday, 21 January 1836. The Prophet recorded the incident:

In the evening “at early candle-light I met with the presidency at the west school room, in the Temple, to attend to the ordinance of anointing our heads with holy oil. . . .

“We then laid our hands upon our aged Father Smith, and invoked the blessings of heaven. . . . The heavens were opened upon us, and I beheld the celestial kingdom of God, and the glory thereof. . . . I saw . . . the blazing throne of God. . . . I saw the beautiful streets of that kingdom, which had the appearance of being paved with gold.” Joseph Smith also saw many prophets in the celestial kingdom before the scene of his vision shifted (see D&C 137:1, 3–5 ). He then saw the recently appointed Twelve “standing together in a circle, much fatigued, with their clothes tattered and feet swollen, . . . and Jesus standing in their midst, and they did not behold Him. . . .

“Many of my brethren who received the ordinance [of washing and anointing] with me saw glorious visions also. Angels ministered unto them as well as to myself, and the power of the Highest rested upon us. The house was filled with the glory of God, and we shouted Hosanna to God and the Lamb. . . .

“. . . Some of them saw the face of the Savior, . . . for we all communed with the heavenly host.” 38 https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... 02_eng.pdf section A Pentecostal Season