Inspired to grow food

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Precepts
captain of 50

Inspired to grow food

Post by Precepts »

The past few years I have felt inspired to become more self sufficient. Specifically learning to grow food.

I’ve learned a lot as I’ve researched and tried for myself. Starting plants from seed and harvesting seeds and the like.

I have felt an urgency over the past couple years to learn to be completely self sufficient. It’s probably close to impossible but the more we can do for ourselves the less power others have over us.

What if I can’t go to the grocery store? Would I be able to provide for my family? What if the gas was shutoff? How would I heat my home? Am I prepared for the famines, pestilences and other natural calamities that will certainly come?

Has anyone else felt this urgency?

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Re: Inspired to grow food

Post by farmerchick »

YES...

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Research your local wild plants too.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Yes. It’s wonderful that you are listening. The urgency you’re feeling is called nesting. And it happens before the birthing pains and delivery of the newborn babe. The last four years my focus has expanded from using natural plants as food/medicine to animal husbandry. I wanted to learn it all at once but the Lord has extended his arm in patience as I learned. It seems he’s been doing this for ages, teaching his children to listen for the time being prepared.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

About three years ago, when I woke up early one morning, I clearly heard the Lord say, "Grow a medical garden." I thought what the heck is a medical garden? So after some research and now three years later, I have an extensive seed bank of medicinal herbs/plants (mint, lavender, comfrey, garlic, etc), spices, fruits, vegetables, etc and I've been expanding my backyard garden, composting, learning to grow varieties of foods, etc. I have continued expanding my seed bank. So you are not alone.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

For years, the Church and some of its members emphasized food storage, but in many cases the useful, productive skills to grow and produce can be more valuable than food (and other things) itself. Productive skills and understanding are invaluable — especially as they relate to food, which is essential to survival for everyone, everywhere.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Niemand wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:29 am Research your local wild plants too.
I second this. If you live in the US, pick up Wild Wisdom of Weeds by Katrina Blair!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

harakim wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:15 pm
Niemand wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:29 am Research your local wild plants too.
I second this. If you live in the US, pick up Wild Wisdom of Weeds by Katrina Blair!
If your food storage is stolen or impounded, it is a useful thing to know. In every disaster, it is usually shops etc which get targetted first, but then the next natural target is people's homes.

It is difficult for cretins – gangs or government – to destroy all the weeds... except perhaps with bush fires and Vietnam War scale weedkiller spraying.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Precepts wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:58 pm
Has anyone else felt this urgency?
for the past 10 years, yes. It's been "get out of the city, get out of debt, and get something growing." building the cabin will get us out of the city and debt, and I'm really hoping this coming spring is the year we can finally focus on the garden.