Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

got it done, ready to hook up all the cable and hopefully get it inspected soon and then....."permanent power": can start hooking up lights and outlets and stuff.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

waiting for the electrician my neighbor recommended to call me back. I dunno - it's a holiday weekend, so it'll probably be next week. So I started finishing the stair railing, since that is required for my CO...

https://www.bitchute.com/video/MaqqtkcWgCyv/

Stair railing 95% installed. Still need to screw the rails to the posts - haven’t decided how to do that. They were pretty hard to install - the angle of the rail made it difficult to pound it onto the rebar. The balcony railing will be so much easier - flat on flat.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

mudflap wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:20 pm https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... ountertop/

"soapstone" :)
Wow! Sounds like a headache, but I'm glad you finally got one that worked and that you had help unloading it. It looks beautiful!

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:20 pm https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... ountertop/

"soapstone" :)
Soapstone for countertops, huh? Pretty cool, I didn't know about those properties of the stone👍

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 30th, 2022, 5:58 pm Soapstone for countertops, huh? Pretty cool, I didn't know about those properties of the stone👍
Neither did I. Now I want a soapstone counter next to my stove.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Did you have any idea how long it would take you? I’m looking at the photo gallery and seeing that you started in 2015. It is amazing. You must be so proud.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

True wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:10 pm Did you have any idea how long it would take you? I’m looking at the photo gallery and seeing that you started in 2015. It is amazing. You must be so proud.
Thank you! Yes, initially, I thought 2-3 years, lol. We're going to move in in year 7 - just a few months from now. got started with drywall:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... _one_room/

(That room is now complete, moved onto the next one).

HVAC is the only major thing left - running a bunch of ductwork, which I know will not be as hard as the drain system for the plumbing.

lots of minor things - hardwood floors (minor compared to what I've done so far...), drywall, bathroom fixtures, electrical outlets need receptacles and switches and lights, wooden kitchen counters (wife is letting me make the sink countertop from lumber - it'll look cool...)

I'm thinking about 4 months.

The 7 year timeframe includes 2 years of cutting and figuring out how to haul 4-6,000 lb logs. It also includes cleaning up debris from cutting logs (lots of brush piles to burn), 5 engine swaps - wife's car, my car, kids car, my truck twice - some fly-by-night ebay seller ripped me off...grrrr....., a 6 week long bout with covid, some travel for work, and "just life". Oh, and a lot of people hire out the electrical or plumbing or drywall, or flooring or framing, whereas I did the entire build (I hired a crane to set my ridge pole and rafters, but I was there spiking and installing everything). So it's 100% DIY, custom milled lumber, etc.

Not to mention we built the biggest floor plan LHBA offers. Oh, and we used logs you probably shouldn't use - too bumpy and knotty. Yes, it really slowed me down. Other folks were chinking 4-5 rows in a few hours, while all it was all I could do to get 1 row done with all the knots and bumps (I'm a bit anal with the chinking - I want it "perfect" - no gaps). same with stacking logs - round perfect logs can be stacked 4-5 per night (couple hours). Some of ours had to be lifted, lowered, rotated, lifted a half dozen times before we found the sweet spot and spiked them in place - could barely get one log per night.

What I would call perfect chinking - it should ebb and flow around the log like a frozen river, with no gaps. A vertical line of chink like this is pretty difficult to pull off, I've discovered.

It shouldn't take this long, but it did. smaller goes "geometrically quicker". ;)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

drywall - complete in one bedroom:

started on kitchen, bathroom, living room:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... m_started/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ll_pieces/

using a tick stick....and living room is ready for mud!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

The photos below are not mine, but I can't get over how gorgeous this fellow LHBA build is turning out:

treads are walnut slabs:

sink counter top made from the same tree as the stair treads (walnut)

stringers are Poplar wood - split with a chainsaw - look at that curve!

they are not builders - no background in construction. Just taking their time and doing a fantastic job.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

mudflap wrote: December 10th, 2022, 6:49 am The photos below are not mine, but I can't get over how gorgeous this fellow LHBA build is turning out:

treads are walnut slabs:

sink counter top made from the same tree as the stair treads (walnut)

stringers are Poplar wood - split with a chainsaw - look at that curve!

they are not builders - no background in construction. Just taking their time and doing a fantastic job.
That’s beautiful! Your place and theirs!

And they are builders! They just didn’t know it when they started. :)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

you know, thinking about the whole cabin thing - When you determine to do a thing, and you involve the Lord in your prayers, it is not unreasonable to ask for help - in fact we are commanded to ask for "whatsoever thing you need". Just want to say that we bought a piece of land with not enough trees to build a house. We moved forward anyway - and the trees showed up just when we needed them.

A neighbor who initially said "no" when I asked if I could have some trees from the land he bought next to mine changed his mind "suddenly" when he was at the local restaurant for breakfast one morning. He overheard some folks talking about "that guy that's going to build a log home from trees he's cutting and peeling himself." The lady talking was from the city permit office, and she told me the power company guys had been out to take a look, and now everyone was talking about it. My neighbor heard all this while drinking his coffee, and the next time he saw me while bush hogging with his tractor, he told me to go ahead and take whatever I wanted - he said he was inspired by what he heard, and wanted to be a part of this project.

I'm just saying - sure, it's a physical project to build a log home from scratch. But it might be more of a spiritual journey - looking forward with an "eye of faith".

The ENTIRE project has been exactly like this - not knowing where to go or who to ask for help or where we'll get the money - and the thing we need always shows up just when we need it. It will be that way for you, too, in whatever "spiritual construction project" you are working on - if you are not too afraid to ask Him for help.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

I believe it is a spiritual journey. You’re spot on with that one! I never believed I would be back in the saddle after 18 years from my original plans to build a lhba home. I probably wouldn’t have if you hadn’t have started this thread.

Thanks for following that prompting! Our family is looking forward to the journey this time around and finishing the plans started so long ago.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:12 pm you know, thinking about the whole cabin thing - When you determine to do a thing, and you involve the Lord in your prayers, it is not unreasonable to ask for help - in fact we are commanded to ask for "whatsoever thing you need". Just want to say that we bought a piece of land with not enough trees to build a house. We moved forward anyway - and the trees showed up just when we needed them.

A neighbor who initially said "no" when I asked if I could have some trees from the land he bought next to mine changed his mind "suddenly" when he was at the local restaurant for breakfast one morning. He overheard some folks talking about "that guy that's going to build a log home from trees he's cutting and peeling himself." The lady talking was from the city permit office, and she told me the power company guys had been out to take a look, and now everyone was talking about it. My neighbor heard all this while drinking his coffee, and the next time he saw me while bush hogging with his tractor, he told me to go ahead and take whatever I wanted - he said he was inspired by what he heard, and wanted to be a part of this project.

I'm just saying - sure, it's a physical project to build a log home from scratch. But it might be more of a spiritual journey - looking forward with an "eye of faith".

The ENTIRE project has been exactly like this - not knowing where to go or who to ask for help or where we'll get the money - and the thing we need always shows up just when we need it. It will be that way for you, too, in whatever "spiritual construction project" you are working on - if you are not too afraid to ask Him for help.
I appreciate this, hermano 👍👍👍🙏🙏🙏

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

more electrical work - but in the dark and outside:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... tch_wired/

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

mudflap wrote: December 15th, 2022, 8:49 pm more electrical work - but in the dark and outside:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... tch_wired/

Seeing your build progress over time has been inspiring. Thanks for sharing it with us.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

me and the other organist split the months - she does the first two weeks and I do the last. This month has been fun with the Christmas songs.

Someone in the ward gifted me this 1890's pump organ - it is in great condition. I use it to practice for Sundays. Actually, they advertised this organ to anyone in the ward - the ad was up for a whole day before I even saw it - with no takers!

Couldn't believe it. Has such a nice broad warm tone. folks don't appreciate well-crafted American made items anymore.

Anyway, wife found a way to have both the organ and the piano in the living room at the cabin, so it's getting a prime real estate location there. I'm thinking of having local folks come over and sing old Christian Hymns while I play for them. Good stuff.....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

alrighty, back to log stuff: this guy is a friend of mine from LHBA - he's an architect and builder - doesn't always do "LHBA style", but look at these stairs! 4" thick Ponderosa pine. The center pole is 48" diameter, and weighs 4,800 lbs. it's a public post on fb, so you don't need to login to look at his photo album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 594&type=3

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Freakin' Awesome!! 😲 😍 🥰
mudflap wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:01 pm Image

me and the other organist split the months - she does the first two weeks and I do the last. This month has been fun with the Christmas songs.

Someone in the ward gifted me this 1890's pump organ - it is in great condition. I use it to practice for Sundays. Actually, they advertised this organ to anyone in the ward - the ad was up for a whole day before I even saw it - with no takers!

Couldn't believe it. Has such a nice broad warm tone. folks don't appreciate well-crafted American made items anymore.

Anyway, wife found a way to have both the organ and the piano in the living room at the cabin, so it's getting a prime real estate location there. I'm thinking of having local folks come over and sing old Christian Hymns while I play for them. Good stuff.....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I was a little late posting this:

https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... 22-update/

just some loose ends for the blog....

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Love the updates... Not much longer!

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

log wrote: April 16th, 2015, 10:14 pm
31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
40 A disciple is not above his master; but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
You're to discipline yourself if you wish to be his disciple. Nobody else can choose for you; nobody else moves your limbs or causes your mouth to give utterance.

And if you endure it well, you will be made into what he is, no more and no less.

He's not looking for babies and children who have to be nursed eternally nor handheld continually. He's not looking for people he has to goad into discipleship. He's not looking for those who will only believe after a demonstration of power. He's not looking for servants who must be commanded in all things. He's looking for the self-motivated student who hears his voice and willingly and wilfully does what he has asked even if he only merely believes, and eats the consequences of his actions. He's looking for those who are willing to learn his secrets, obey the law he obeys, and do the works he does and did.

The reward for the willing disciple is Godhood. The price is that in this world you will be dealt with even as he was.

People who fail in their faith and discipleship will turn and rend you, blaming you for their failure, their discomfort, AND their subsequent betrayal. You will be cast out from among the Pharisaical society if they learn who your master is. You will lose everything in this world eventually.
Doctrine and Covenants 98:14
14 Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy.