Looking for Isaiah Context

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ransomme
captain of 1,000

Looking for Isaiah Context

Post by ransomme »

Anyone have, or know of good material regarding the historical context of the nations and events used in/by Isaiah?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Re: Looking for Isaiah Context

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:17 am Anyone have, or know of good material regarding the historical context of the nations and events used in/by Isaiah?
Are you opposed to using Gileadi? He has about 5 books or so on Isaiah and a descent website. I don't know that he has consolidated all the information you want into one area or chapter though. It might throughout his works.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:20 pm
ransomme wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:17 am Anyone have, or know of good material regarding the historical context of the nations and events used in/by Isaiah?
Are you opposed to using Gileadi? He has about 5 books or so on Isaiah and a descent website. I don't know that he has consolidated all the information you want into one area or chapter though. It might throughout his works.
I've yet to read in any of his books a historical context of Isaiah's book, though he does offer very brief chronologies when they're relevant to his doctrinal commentaries.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

It's been ages since I read it, so I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it was good. (Great are the words of Isaiah - Nibley)

https://www.scribd.com/document/5139780 ... ow&irgwc=1

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

I'm also looking for confirmation that Isaiah's reference to Egypt being the USA is likely, as Gileadi suggests.

Interestingly, references in the Bible to Chaldeans suggest they are the worldwide Satanic Gadianton cabal.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Original_Intent wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:50 pm It's been ages since I read it, so I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it was good. (Great are the words of Isaiah - Nibley)

It's also available here without a subscription: https://rsc.byu.edu/sperry-symposium-cl ... rds-isaiah

Is this the entire work?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:20 pm
I have read Gileadi, and I was participating in an Isaiah Institute book club covering the "Apocalyptic Commentary of the Book of Isaiah" where there was another participant who would often share more of the ancient historical context of Isaiah's references. I think it would be awesome to dig into Isaiah from this angle, to learn perhaps more about the nuances of Isaiah's references.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Original_Intent wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:50 pm It's been ages since I read it, so I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it was good. (Great are the words of Isaiah - Nibley)

OK, it looks like I screwed up in multiple ways.

1. The scribd thing I linked is NOT the book I read.
2. The book I read was actually written by Monte S. Nyman. It was next to my Nibley books on the bookshelf, so maybe that's why I was thinking Nibley....lol.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I wrote this eight years ago. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good start: viewtopic.php?t=33831

Weird because earlier today I was thinking about writing a book about this very subject. I've been studying Isaiah ten years now. I'm no Gileadi or Nibley, but I could probably write something for intermediate students of the book. It really takes at least two years before one can begin to understand Isaiah.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Inspired by my studies, I wrote blogs, which might interest you:

Great Are the Words of Isaiah
The Vision of Isaiah
The Drunkards of Ephraim

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

Some context: from Gideadi's podcast Analytical Commentary of Isaiah, chapter 3.

"Judea and Jerusalem; they're not just geographic locations but they're also codenames for latter-day entities. All names, in fact, like the name, the king of Assyria; while yes, there was an ancient king of Assyria, but there's also a latter-day king of Assyria; not that there's a nation called Assyria, but there will be a nation that resembles the ancient empire of Assyria; that has the same characteristics as the ancient Assyria does.
So is the name Babylon a codename for a latter-day Babylon and the name Zion a codename for a latter-day Zion. They all existed anciently and they'll all exist again in the end-time. Same with Judea and Jerusalem. These would be places where the Lord's people live today."

My question is, what nation resembles most an ancient Assyria? Since the one that conquers the world is an Assyrian alliance, I'd guess China, since it's the richest, most powerful nation presently, has the most people (resources) and has the greatest number of partnerships presently

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

logonbump wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:52 pm Some context: from Gideadi's podcast Analytical Commentary of Isaiah, chapter 3.

"Judea and Jerusalem; they're not just geographic locations but they're also codenames for latter-day entities. All names, in fact, like the name, the king of Assyria; while yes, there was an ancient king of Assyria, but there's also a latter-day king of Assyria; not that there's a nation called Assyria, but there will be a nation that resembles the ancient empire of Assyria; that has the same characteristics as the ancient Assyria does.
So is the name Babylon a codename for a latter-day Babylon and the name Zion a codename for a latter-day Zion. They all existed anciently and they'll all exist again in the end-time. Same with Judea and Jerusalem. These would be places where the Lord's people live today."

My question is, what nation resembles most an ancient Assyria? Since the one that conquers the world is an Assyrian alliance, I'd guess China, since it's the richest, most powerful nation presently, has the most people (resources) and has the greatest number of partnerships presently
Well, Egypt and Babylon were superpowers, but Assyria was the world superpower back then. I believe Egypt was the archetype for the US today, but who is really the world superpower today? And who is Babylon? I can't help but feel the US is all three at the same time. Russia and China are certainly super powers, but I don't see either of them being a world superpower. Maybe the UN (Agenda 2030, etc) is the real world power.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

logonbump wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:52 pm Some context: from Gideadi's podcast Analytical Commentary of Isaiah, chapter 3.

China itself maybe. A Russo-Sino alliance, perhaps. A China-Russia-EU alliance...whoa A Dragon, a Bear, a Leopard... Grab your popcorn and pray

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Russia.

Maroriginal1
captain of 100

Post by Maroriginal1 »

“Understanding Isaiah” by Parry, Parry and Peterson is excellent at outlining historical context.

Chris01
captain of 10

Post by Chris01 »

logonbump wrote: December 1st, 2022, 3:14 pm I'm also looking for confirmation that Isaiah's reference to Egypt being the USA is likely, as Gileadi suggests.

Interestingly, references in the Bible to Chaldeans suggest they are the worldwide Satanic Gadianton cabal.
I've spent 100+ hrs studying Gileadi's work and agree with him that Egypt is very clearly the US. I actually thought of this correlation myself when I first began studying Isaiah. I also believe Cush is pretty clearly described as Canada- "the land to the north". The many other countries listed aren't so important and can even be looked at as groups of people. When we put them all together they paint a comprehensive picture of our world today.

Indeed, the entire book of Isaiah is best viewed as a painting with words as the brush strokes. He paints all across the canvas with broad strokes and then goes back to add details through types, shadows, and word links. Truly a masterpiece.

I recommend the Analytical Commentary on Isaiah podcast. About halfway through the first time, things started to make sense in a broader picture to me and the 2nd time through really solidified things for me.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

This book is a beast on the topic:

https://propheticappointments.com/produ ... 4135643206

I'm about half way through and am thoroughly happy with it.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

LDS Physician wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:40 am

I met the two who wrote this book. Really good people.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Luke wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:41 am

They seem genuine in their videos, humbe even! I just ordered the Daniel Timeline book along with the banner to study their thoughts on that.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Is anyone coming to Helsinki soon and wants to bring this book to me in their luggage? 8-) I almost bought it earlier this year, but shipping is as much as the book.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

ransomme wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:23 am

Is anyone coming to Helsinki soon and wants to bring this book to me in their luggage? 8-) I almost bought it earlier this year, but shipping is as much as the book.
Oooof!

Sorry, brother :(

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Go through this free information first:

https://www.isaiahexplained.com/
https://isaiahinstitute.com/

As finances allow, buy one book at a time. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. I've been at it ten years and I'm still going!

Here's another insightful resource: http://www.jesuswalk.com/isaiah/isaiah.htm

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Who are the authors? I clicked on the link but no info on the authors.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:23 am Is anyone coming to Helsinki soon
I don't make it to Sweden much, but I do watch Die Hard every Christmas.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

HereWeGo wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:57 am

Who are the authors? I clicked on the link but no info on the authors.
Farrell and Rhonda Pickering. They’ve done loads of stuff.